Options

Is Apocalypse still relevant in 2024?

EdisonLawEdisonLaw Posts: 2,316 ★★★★
edited April 30 in General Discussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtnVGhKrR5A&lc=UgyBUOj3H5gh_6Ld1154AaABAg.A2pgHKcny4SA2pi-HkiugR&ab_channel=-NAGASE-
Is the OG King of Mutants still relevant nowadays or have other champions surpassed him? If he isn't, how would you fix him?

Is Apocalypse still relevant in 2024? 287 votes

Yes
66%
MasterSmokePantherusNZBigPoppaCBONESnakeEyes69RaganatorSpity68KeltanbuffajrzuffyAzKicker316ccrider474DramioneBatmania15MonasouNanoDroidLuciusVorenusFeeney234fmussapphillgreenLeediman39 192 votes
No (and state why)
20%
JerryJiverFoxhero007GuttHendrossGarloDoom_and_Gloomt123459DeNeDiesxlbstverliebtJustcause102AngusMac279ZuroBerserker22captain_rogersGuyGardnerItsClobberinTimeDiegog2000GogiDeremusShoe_2 60 votes
Unsure
12%
Talha305RajaJinxesaxeHerbal_TaxmanMrKillaChrisRayven5220JChanceH9OwlkitJyoung1Thoye3Bhanu_3000Ben_15455kayzzcoBatman_bruce31Drew3808sherin_66SchnoodleHickdog27akibakiii13579rebel_Wonderfulloser1948 35 votes

Comments

• Options
    PantherusNZPantherusNZ Posts: 1,543 ★★★★
    Yes
    He's definitely not the best of the mutants - that very much is between Kitty and Onslaught - but he's still powerful in his own right and his horseman ability still provides a solid improvement to other mutants, dramatically so in a few cases.
  • Options
    Unsure
    Interesting results so far, I think it's a 50/50. On one hand, he's one of the best questers especially with a mutant team. On the other hand he's not that great for BGs
  • Options
    PantherusNZPantherusNZ Posts: 1,543 ★★★★
    Yes
    EdisonLaw said:

Interesting results so far, I think it's a 50/50. On one hand, he's one of the best questers especially with a mutant team. On the other hand he's not that great for BGs

Yeah good point, he's way too slow for BGs and I wouldn't think all that useful defensively either.
  • Options
    UsagicassidyUsagicassidy Posts: 1,101 ★★★★
    Yes
    I just bought him for 75,000 poolies because he has evaded me thus far... so I'm hoping he's still useful lol
  • Options
    Unsure

I just bought him for 75,000 poolies because he has evaded me thus far... so I'm hoping he's still useful lol

You’re not using him for Battlegrounds are you?
  • Options
    BeastDadBeastDad Posts: 1,475 ★★★★★
    Yes
    He's probably still the best synergy champion in the game. Does he have BG value? Not really. But for questing he's still very good.
  • Options
    TerminatrixTerminatrix Posts: 1,402 ★★★★
    Yes
    EdisonLaw said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtnVGhKrR5A&lc=UgyBUOj3H5gh_6Ld1154AaABAg.A2pgHKcny4SA2pi-HkiugR&ab_channel=-NAGASE-
    Is the OG King of Mutants still relevant nowadays or have other champions surpassed him? If he isn't, how would you fix him?

His Horseman synergy makes him still valuable. Plus his immunities to disorient, bleed, and incinerate comes in handy at times. He still has class advantage over skills, and is stun immune when against Mutants.
  • Options
    Rayven5220Rayven5220 Posts: 1,708 ★★★★
    Unsure
    By the time I got him as a 6* I was beyond ever needing him anywhere and never ranked him past r3, but I do believe he still has uses, he's just overshadowed by alot of other champs now.
  • Options
    laserjohn26laserjohn26 Posts: 1,516 ★★★★★
    Interesting timing. Nagase put out a roughly 45 minute video just on this topic today. Cliff notes: not totally trash not not even mid anymore. There are probably zero people who finish in the top 500 of bg who have him in their deck.
  • Options
    Jack2634Jack2634 Posts: 785 ★★★
    edited April 30
    No (and state why)
    I just personally don't use him anywhere apart from arena. One of my first r4s, used to use him a lot but i rarely touch him nowadays. The problem with the dude is he is way too synergy reliant and even with full synergy team, DoT champs like kate and shuri just outdamage his DoT hard. Standing alone and not facing a mutant matchup, dude is just a walking noodle. Sure, you can argue that his utilities made up for it, but it is not enough with the damage he is dealing in 2024 - when mutants is probably the weakest class out of all 6
  • Options
    PT_99PT_99 Posts: 2,641 ★★★★★
    Yes
    I'd say he's still a banger of BG defender as r5 Ascended (Don't take him there, he will soon be 7*)

His specials are very hard to dex fully and one mistiming to dex sp2 orbs can result in KO.
    Even taking special hits on block takes away lots of health and Apoc is very tanky on top of it.

Maybe Ironman with lots of Armor and redskull can safely take his sp2 hits on block.

• Options
    FrostGiantLordFrostGiantLord Posts: 1,683 ★★★★
    Yes
    While Apoc is definitely not the Mutant god he used to be, he's by no means fallen off in the current meta, and is still one of the best synergy champs in the entire game. His place as an insane damage dealer has been usurped by the likes of Onslaught, but he's still one of the best mutants in the game
  • Options
    ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Posts: 3,580 ★★★★★
    No (and state why)
    BGs have just shifted the meta a lot tbh. He's a victim of circumstances, that's all it is really.
  • Options
    Unsure
    PT_99 said:

I'd say he's still a banger of BG defender as r5 Ascended (Don't take him there, he will soon be 7*)

His specials are very hard to dex fully and one mistiming to dex sp2 orbs can result in KO.
    Even taking special hits on block takes away lots of health and Apoc is very tanky on top of it.

Maybe Ironman with lots of Armor and redskull can safely take his sp2 hits on block.

Yeah Iron Man and Red Skull can deal with him. War Machine and Shuri also.
  • Options
    Unsure

Now a days I see trend that implies that if a champ is not fast as attacker in BG, he/she is not good champ or fallen from the top
    Apart from Bgs, we have AW,Aw, Sq, endgame contents etc. Smh what days have come

Eaxctly. People are so strictly battlegrounds, that they dismiss other content, and others who like to play that content. It's really pathetic.
    It’s the most important gamemode now, everyone’s rankups are for Battlegrounds.
  • Options
    ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Posts: 3,580 ★★★★★
    No (and state why)
    Sunstar19 said:

Not sure why Apoc is judged for how good he is on BG. I still love Apoc for questing, great immunities and great damage on specials. Love his design too.

Cause BGs is the most relevant game mode by far.
  • Options
    MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,438 ★★★★★
    edited April 30
    Yes

EdisonLaw said:

Now a days I see trend that implies that if a champ is not fast as attacker in BG, he/she is not good champ or fallen from the top
    Apart from Bgs, we have AW,Aw, Sq, endgame contents etc. Smh what days have come

Eaxctly. People are so strictly battlegrounds, that they dismiss other content, and others who like to play that content. It's really pathetic.
    It's the most important for some, not everyone. There are a lot of casual BG players. People still play and rank their champs for other content. We did Winter of Woe. We just finished Act 8. Act 9 will be here later this year. We did Necropolis where a lot of players were scrambling to pull and rank the most valuable champion for that content.....Aegon. He's not needed in BGs, but is the GOAT in others. And there's still AW. Players rank champs for that too.
    Completely.

Even Nagase made the point that Apoc is an amazing questing champion, and can be valuable in War (or Amazing, in Incursions).

The point is not that Apoc is worse, but that there are more champions that have risen up around him, and shifting metas mean that he's less important; not that he's useless.

It's the shift from Questing/Story content to PvP in Battlegrounds that has affected Apoc most. Both synergies and ramp-up are completely unavailable in BGs; removing a lot of what makes Apoc great.

Apocalypse - the last great king of the ramp-up champions: a dying breed, but not quite dead yet...
  • Options
    IvarTheBonelessIvarTheBoneless Posts: 1,260 ★★★★

BeastDad said:

Interesting timing. Nagase put out a roughly 45 minute video just on this topic today. Cliff notes: not totally trash not not even mid anymore. There are probably zero people who finish in the top 500 of bg who have him in their deck.

Luckily BG's is not the only game mode. Nagase is short sighted.
    He's not used in t1 war either unless he is a tactic defender. Did you use him in necrosis necropolis or woe? You can use virtually any champ in any solo mode. Not to mention I believe he made the finals of the in person kabaam bg tournament, if not, the semi's. I'm not positive about many things in life but nagase not being short sighted about anything to do with a game he is top 10 overall at, is one of them.
    He was used a lot in t1 wars last season tho. For the sole purpose of his horseman synergy on a mutant champ so that they could counter bullseye... but he was used! Lol
  • Options
    BuggyDClownBuggyDClown Posts: 2,169 ★★★★★
    Yes

Sunstar19 said:

Not sure why Apoc is judged for how good he is on BG. I still love Apoc for questing, great immunities and great damage on specials. Love his design too.

Cause BGs is the most relevant game mode by far.
    Lol no way🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    Kingering_KingKingering_King Posts: 372 ★★
    No (and state why)
    Someone did video (I forgot who) doing same rank onslaught versus apoc against RoL winter solder. Onslaught beat him by a minute and a half, plus he has better damage and utility.
  • Options
    Emilia90Emilia90 Posts: 2,019 ★★★★★
    Unsure

EdisonLaw said:

It's the most important for some, not everyone. There are a lot of casual BG players. People still play and rank their champs for other content. We did Winter of Woe. We just finished Act 8. Act 9 will be here later this year. We did Necropolis where a lot of players were scrambling to pull and rank the most valuable champion for that content.....Aegon. He's not needed in BGs, but is the GOAT in others. And there's still AW. Players rank champs for that too.
    He’s not great for WoW, there are better champs to use in act 8, better champs to use in battlegrounds, and better champs to use in war unless you want his horseman synergy. He’s still good for questing I guess, but he hasn’t been super relevant in any high tier stuff even if we’re ignoring battlegrounds