How good is venom actually?

So I'm kinda confused after witnessing venom lead every recent rank up poll, even leaving juggs, the single most broken bgs nuke imo, behind. Now I have a r2 unduped venom with a 5* duped relic, I've watched many videos but I still can't quite grasp the admiration behind him. What actually makes him so good? Is it the versatility, nuke potential, simplicity or something else? I don't see him often when I watch celestial gameplay and don't see why a complete deck would need him anyway. He has no defensive potential and don't think he's that relevant of an attacker either. Out of some meta defenders, I wouldn't expect him to do well against serpent, onslaught, red skull, dust, korg, domino, bullseye, sinister, photon, and even maestro who is kinda too rng reliant for my liking. What am I missing? I feel like he is kind of overrated here but would like to know if I'm mistaken. Please feel free to disagree and share your opinions, thank you.

Comments

• justarandomusernamejustarandomusername Member Posts: 36
    edited August 20

The reason he leads juggs in poll is juggs is pure attacker and the extra rank won't make a difference, and only leads to more bansz While venom need the extra rank.

As edison said, Venom got a lot of sneaky utility. He does really well against onslaught, one of th best counters for red skull, and even works well against maestro (sp1 nullify).

His bleed damage is too high and unlike other cosmic Powerhouses (vox, adam, gladiator, brb) he have a fluid stress free rotation which makes him very useful as well.

First of all thank you for the detailed explanation. How does he actually work for onslaught though? I don't see anything that would make venom a viable/priority option there. No bleed damage, too many crits = neuroshocks, literally no damage source other than basic hits. Can you enlighten me on how exactly he works on that fight?
  • BendyBendy Member Posts: 5,752 ★★★★★

The reason he leads juggs in poll is juggs is pure attacker and the extra rank won't make a difference, and only leads to more bansz While venom need the extra rank.

As edison said, Venom got a lot of sneaky utility. He does really well against onslaught, one of th best counters for red skull, and even works well against maestro (sp1 nullify).

His bleed damage is too high and unlike other cosmic Powerhouses (vox, adam, gladiator, brb) he have a fluid stress free rotation which makes him very useful as well.

First of all thank you for the detailed explanation. How does he actually work for onslaught though? I don't see anything that would make venom a viable/priority option there. No bleed damage, too many crits = neuroshocks, literally no damage source other than basic hits. Can you enlighten me on how exactly he works on that fight?
    He has fury cruelty if u get lucky but hes not metal so he can remove neuroshocks
  • captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 7,859 ★★★★★

He have good basic damage, and bleeds can allow you to launch multiple crits. Since he is non metal you can also purify the neuroshocks. Not the best, but he can finish at high health and within 60 sec (similar rank onslaught).
  • BeastDadBeastDad Member Posts: 1,775 ★★★★★
    Elite
  • LexSaviLexSavi Member Posts: 216
    He’s also an amazing Fantman counter. Still don’t get why people pick Fantman as the defender in BG when I have Venom. Usually a sub 30 second, full health fight.
  • ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Member Posts: 5,369 ★★★★★
    Few reasons:
    1. Juggs doesn't need the extra rank, he nukes anything at r2.
    2. If you have maxed deep wounds and a 5* or 6* Venom relic he just melts anything that bleeds in a matter of seconds.
    3. He can be tricky even on defense, I've fought a couple r3s before and it always takes me a minute to take him down cause I end up baiting sp1s the whole fight, his sp2 still gives me way too much anxiety so I don't bother trying to dex it lmao and if you block it you will take a lot of block damage.
  • PolygonPolygon Member Posts: 4,339 ★★★★★
    Out of the 7*'s like Hyperion, Adam, Gladiator Venom is the best attacker?

Like OP said i barely see r3 venoms when i watch youtube streams of high tier BGs , but then again the cosmic class is arguably the worst when it comes to 7*'s
  • ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Member Posts: 5,369 ★★★★★
    Polygon said:

Like OP said i barely see r3 venoms when i watch youtube streams of high tier BGs , but then again the cosmic class is arguably the worst when it comes to 7*'s

I would personally pick Venom over any of those yeah, Adam is probably better but I have a r6 sig 200 so I'd most likely go Venom.

As for BGs I have seen a ton of r3 Venoms in Gamma and Arcane personally, always instaban.
  • LokxLokx Member Posts: 1,230 ★★★★
    edited August 20
    The most underrated and biggest part of his kit is om nom. No one is immune or can escape on nom. Everyone is om nomed.

Actually i’m not entirely sure if there is anyone immune but i know that his on nom works on red skull who is nullify immune.
  • PT_99PT_99 Member Posts: 4,008 ★★★★★
    On defence if r3 venom reached sp2 it's a loss thanks to how wonky and unreliable it is to dex plus it hurts a lot even on block

And good luck baiting out that sp1 because Venom AI just dances around 3 times before throwing it.
    Lokx said:

The most underrated and biggest part of his kit is om nom. No one is immune or can escape on nom. Everyone is om nomed.

Actually i’m not entirely sure if there is anyone immune but i know that his on nom works on red skull who is nullify immune.

Venom's om nom is nullify. Venompool's om nom works on everyone
  • LokxLokx Member Posts: 1,230 ★★★★

Lokx said:

Venom's om nom is nullify. Venompool's om nom works on everyone
    Oh my bad, i thought they worked the same way
  • OrtounOrtoun Member Posts: 753 ★★★
    I personally prefer venompool and am thrilled that I can pick him up as a 7 star in a couple days, but that said, venom is still a great character for all the reasons listed above. I will give venom the edge in countering spiderverse evades as it takes some luck to get the klyntar buff up early on venompool, even with it selected as his favorite good via awakened ability prefight.
  • justarandomusernamejustarandomusername Member Posts: 36
    Thanks everyone for the insightful comments, much appreciated. Guess I have one last question though. How exactly does venom do red skull? Despite having no experience, seems to me that the high critical resistance/nullify immunity would mess him up quite a bit. How does it actually work, is his armor break consistent enough or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks everyone for the insightful comments, much appreciated. Guess I have one last question though. How exactly does venom do red skull? Despite having no experience, seems to me that the high critical resistance/nullify immunity would mess him up quite a bit. How does it actually work, is his armor break consistent enough or is there something I'm missing?

Armor breaks keep his armor up buffs in check and bleed is his main source of damage, which ignores armor and resistances.
  • SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Member Posts: 4,707 ★★★★★
    Nobody mentioned he is power burn/drain immune vs techs
  • Emilia90Emilia90 Member Posts: 3,333 ★★★★★
    edited August 20

Polygon said:

I would personally pick Venom over any of those yeah, Adam is probably better but I have a r6 sig 200 so I'd most likely go Venom.

As for BGs I have seen a ton of r3 Venoms in Gamma and Arcane personally, always instaban.
    As a professional Adam glazer, I’d say he’s better but obviously takes a lot more practice than venom who’s very beginner friendly. Adam covers way more ground than venom does in terms of matchups and how fast he can take them

Also Hype under Venom? Idk about that one
  • Emilia90Emilia90 Member Posts: 3,333 ★★★★★
    Also to the original poster, Venom is obviously great but I also made a post questioning if he was worth ranking. If your cosmic roster is super fleshed out then I don’t think you’ll have any use for him that other cosmics don’t already cover. I don’t have 5/5 DW or a high star Venom relic and the results I’m getting are just eh, but if you have those he seems to be a beast.

I think you also want him at r3 way more than a lot of others, and he is one of the best cosmic 7* since a lot of the best attackers in the 6* pool aren’t even available yet. Great champ from what I’ve seen, but not for me (rn anyway, I’ll see once I get my hands on a venom relic and DW)
  • ForevernarwhalsForevernarwhals Member Posts: 22
    EdisonLaw said:

He is a great champion which does many things
    1. Counters Spiderverse champions evade
    2. Easy access to many buffs
    3. Easy access to armor break
    4. True strike
    4. Nullify and regeneration on special 1
    5. Tanky
    6. Occasionally can be a good defender
    7. Simple to understand kit

This in very simple terms. Is he going to put up huge numbers like Herc... No. But he has his uses a lot which is why everyone loves him.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,484 ★★★★★
    He's still solid after all these years IMO. He's not flashy like newer Champs, but he's still a go-to of mine.
  • EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 6,054 ★★★★★

His armor break is consistent enough to remove the armor ups. Try to wait out the SP1 until he gets to 15% for the true strike.
  • JT_SupremeJT_Supreme Member Posts: 1,164 ★★★★
    He’s winning polls because this game isn’t all just bg, he’s very versatile elsewhere. Bgs you’re right a lot of meta defenders cannot be countered well with venom, I have an r2 but don’t use him much if ever in bg now. Not knocking him, but in bg it seems everyone picks from the same 10 defenders and there’s just better options than him at this point.

He’s winning polls because this game isn’t all just bg, he’s very versatile elsewhere. Bgs you’re right a lot of meta defenders cannot be countered well with venom, I have an r2 but don’t use him much if ever in bg now. Not knocking him, but in bg it seems everyone picks from the same 10 defenders and there’s just better options than him at this point.

Nah he can definitely counter some meta defenders. Maestro, Onslaught, Killmonger, Emma Frost, other champs who can be armor broken, etc.
  • peixemacacopeixemacaco Member Posts: 2,260 ★★★★
    EdisonLaw said:

Nah he can definitely counter some meta defenders. Maestro, Onslaught, Killmonger, Emma Frost, other champs who can be armor broken, etc.
    Emma Frost...hmmm good to know

EdisonLaw said:

Emma Frost...hmmm good to know
    Emma isn't really that meta of a defender, but she can be annoying