**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Will six stars fracture the player base?

It seems to me that there are 2 classes of Summoners: Guys with multiple 6*s and guys trying to build their rosters to get their 6*s.

Honestly, I'm not good enough to get through Uncollected on a regular basis, so I may have a decent 5* roster, but due to a combination of mediocre skills and an iphone 7 I think I'm stuck behind a content wall. I have 8,800 6* crystals from before they beefed up Uncollected difficulty. I couldnt' pass Aegon with my champs and skills. I couldn't pass Emma with my champs and skills.

I ground for 4* Domino to try and face Aegon in the last event and even trying to max my damage as much as possible, she couldn't down him before his combo meter was ramped up too much.

What got me down was seeing the Crystal Opening Whale opening 12 featured 6* crystals because I saw how far I am behind some summoners.

Another honest moment here: I'm ok with falling behind. The level of effort it takes to stay on the cutting edge of this game is silly. It almost feels like there will be two layers of the game going forward and that's probably ok. It does seem that upgrading your phone to keep up with the game is a requirement to play at the top level, especially with the unexplained lagginess of the bosses this month. It just feels like game depth and complexity is accelerating instead of moving up at a more measured pace.

With the reduction in financing available for new hardware from mobile carriers, this game is going to have to face a reality where people aren't upgrading their phones every year and if there are lag issues every month it could start to erode the player base.

Comments

• TheRealApocTheRealApoc Posts: 320 ★★
    It was like this in the begining of 5* as well. It will speed up. Kabam will adjust something to keep the behind the curve players (I am usually behind in this regard I have 3 only at the moment). It will speed up, probably middle of next year or so. Try not to compare yourself to the whales.
  • V1PER1987V1PER1987 Posts: 3,474 ★★★★★
    I don’t understand. Is your post about 6* or about performance on various devices? You trailed off.
  • peasantpeasant Posts: 240
    No there's more classes of summoners than that. Super casual, casual, login more than twice a day, login more than 4 times a day, etc. If you think you should have faster progress than players who dropped thousands and continue to spend, that's illogical. I think Kabam has been progressing with giving out upgrade material and 4 and 5* shards more readily.
  • G0311G0311 Posts: 913 ★★★
    MMCskippy wrote: »
    It seems to me that there are 2 classes of Summoners: Guys with multiple 6*s and guys trying to build their rosters to get their 6*s.

Honestly, I'm not good enough to get through Uncollected on a regular basis, so I may have a decent 5* roster, but due to a combination of mediocre skills and an iphone 7 I think I'm stuck behind a content wall. I have 8,800 6* crystals from before they beefed up Uncollected difficulty. I couldnt' pass Aegon with my champs and skills. I couldn't pass Emma with my champs and skills.

I ground for 4* Domino to try and face Aegon in the last event and even trying to max my damage as much as possible, she couldn't down him before his combo meter was ramped up too much.

What got me down was seeing the Crystal Opening Whale opening 12 featured 6* crystals because I saw how far I am behind some summoners.

Another honest moment here: I'm ok with falling behind. The level of effort it takes to stay on the cutting edge of this game is silly. It almost feels like there will be two layers of the game going forward and that's probably ok. It does seem that upgrading your phone to keep up with the game is a requirement to play at the top level, especially with the unexplained lagginess of the bosses this month. It just feels like game depth and complexity is accelerating instead of moving up at a more measured pace.

With the reduction in financing available for new hardware from mobile carriers, this game is going to have to face a reality where people aren't upgrading their phones every year and if there are lag issues every month it could start to erode the player base.

You are not in competion with anyone elses account. So cow made you feel less of a person, because he is part of a high Alliance and does uncollected every month and as a result has lots of 6* shards??? Well that is a personal problem. The only time u compete here is in AW and even that is a team effort. I dont get people that feel that if someone has more than you its unfair and ruins your experiance in this game. I see this jealously alot from millennials, and also the wanting to be on top without the work and time put in. RNG is the great equalizer, because no matter how much money u spend or what alliance you are in , you could still pull garbage or spend 6 grand for a new chracter, still there is no 100%, even worse if you lack the skill.
  • WerewrymWerewrym Posts: 2,830 ★★★★★
    They haven't made much of a difference over here vx7sw2nia00p.png

Yeah I must agree... DPX and IF are pretty sucky champs...
  • Denzel116Denzel116 Posts: 537 ★★★
    6 star champs won’t throw off the balance. No need to Thanos snap the 3, 4, and 5 stars. Every now and then...these dusty champs come in handy and help. If someone had a Daredevil awakened this month, they probably didn’t have much struggle with DarkHawk. And that’s just how it goes...

All these champs are tools. Albeit, some are more equipped and streamlined, when given the proper tools you can go about the job. If you’re tackling a looooooong fight with a high PI defender, a 6 star Corvus as AMAZING as he is just isn’t the tool for the job. But that old, dusty 4 star StarLord...bingo.

I hate sounding like an echo, but an average all around 4 star champ in the hands of a great player will knock down more content than a amazing 6 star in the hands of an impatient or unskilled player.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,016 ★★★★★
    To echo what DNA3000 said, C.O.W is not someone to compare yourself with. That guys spends money like crazy and pays his way to where hes at. Never, ever compare yourself to him unless you win the lottery and spend your money FGMC's.
  • Spurgeon14Spurgeon14 Posts: 1,665 ★★★★
    They haven't made much of a difference over here vx7sw2nia00p.png

Dang...I am sorry, those all suck. I got a LC, Winter Soldier, and and Punisher 2099.
  • Demonzfyre wrote: »
    To echo what DNA3000 said, C.O.W is not someone to compare yourself with. That guys spends money like crazy and pays his way to where hes at. Never, ever compare yourself to him unless you win the lottery and spend your money FGMC's.

I will point out that I don't begrudge COW for spending on crystals. It is his money and he clearly has lots of it and can do anything he wants with it. But you should feel no more bad comparing yourself to COW's roster than you should feel bad comparing your business class airline seat to the guy that just took off in his private Gulfstream.

I tend to see complaints, or observations, like the OP as similar to someone saying there's two kinds of people: those that fly around in private executive jets, and those that have to fly in commercial business class. They forget that most of the aircraft they fly in is coach seating, and most people aren't flying around on the company dime in any class seat. You have to calibrate your sense of accomplishment to your own personal circumstances, and not to what other people are doing far outside of your circumstances, or you will be unhappy a lot.
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    I have 6 6*s and don't have one I plan to take to r2. I use them in arena, AW defense for diversity, and AQ but other then arena they are mostly irrelevant to me at this time.
  • I have 6 6*s and don't have one I plan to take to r2. I use them in arena, AW defense for diversity, and AQ but other then arena they are mostly irrelevant to me at this time.

The fact that it is easy to rank 6* champs to 1/25 (which has roughly the equivalent of 4/55 strength) but much more expensive to rank to r2 actually makes them slightly more democratizing for players that can acquire them. Players who could not keep up with the earning power of higher tier players to obtain T2 Alpha cats can instead slowly build up a roster of 6* champs. My guess is that among the uncollected doing uncollected difficulty, the spread of 6* champion rosters is lower than the spread of 5* R4/r5 rosters. In effect, among players that can complete uncollected are forming a pseudo-tier of players whose strongest growth in roster over time is 6* champs, that sit in between players not yet uncollected and players that are earning enough T2A and T5B to have a sizeable number of r4/r5 champs. I may even be on the borderline of one of them.
  • V1PER1987V1PER1987 Posts: 3,474 ★★★★★
    I just got my 7th 6* between my two accounts and they’re all trash. I would never consider ranking any of them up and 2 of the champs are the same on both accounts. Looking at lowbie scrubs with 6* CAIW and KMs wondering how in the mother world I get those. Who do I have to get on my hands and knees for for a decent pull?
  • LoPrestiLoPresti Posts: 1,035 ★★★
    6 stars are disgusting. Disgusting in the sense that if you pull a really good one then you have basically won the game, but most of us aren't that lucky. 5 stars are still the way to go and are very meta relevant, until they release Tier 5 class catalysts and we start to see rank 3 6 stars. My guess is when Act 6 releases.
  • MMCskippyMMCskippy Posts: 352 ★★
    I appreciate the feedback everyone.

All of my items in my original post have been spawned by me trying to get back into playing again. I'm a good example of a somewhat f2p player who grew his line up, finished RoL, the Road to LoL, became uncollected and burned out. I seemed to be locked in this mode where I couldn't even hit weekly Summoner's Advancement event minimums for my alliance. I started to come back by grinding arena for credits and BCs to get enough resources to grow. Then, I realized that getting the basic 4* champs are relatively easy with my roster and that started to get me the newer champs to start utilizing the newer strategies for tackling content.

When I picked up Domino and even just paired her for questing with 3* Red Hulk and 3* Massacre, she deals as much damage as some OG champs before they were nerfed. Corvus is another killer.

I'm facing a couple of problems with coming back, one of which is a decent platform to practice on. I used to handle RoL easily on my phone to farm pots or a million years ago, revives. Now? Extended fights with the more aggressive AI aren't feasible enough to reliably grind for items, aka practice.

I'm sure my woes aren't like those faced by android users, but when I know finishing monthly uncollected is the key to advancing in the game, it frustrating to not have a realistic chance at finishing it.

It does seem that the game benefits people who have a key champ they build around. 5* CM is my highest ranked champ and has been for a while. Within the last month, I've picked up 5* Hype and 5* DV with a 5* dungeon crystal and a featured 5* crystal. I've also decided to only open featured crystals to reduce the chance for less desirable champs.

This game does get frustrating in that it takes more time to master than you ever have available. It doesn't help that it's development schedule seems to be exceeding how fast phones are developing.
  • allinashesallinashes Posts: 791 ★★★
    Haji_Saab wrote: »
    The real distinctive groups are:

1. People who have 6* Domino, Corvus, Cap IW
    2. People who have DD, DPX and KG from the same crystals.

That is really painful to see.

This... This is the real divide. The only saving grace is if you have multiple 6*, you very likely have a stacked 5* roster including r5s. I've explored every uncollected except Modok and am coming up on my 5th 6*.

I'm already dreading opening that crystal, and will probably just hold it and brood for a few weeks.

• Kobster84Kobster84 Posts: 2,898 ★★★★★
    Until you can take 6 star champs to r3 there’s not a divide
  • MrBanksMrBanks Posts: 950 ★★★
    6 stars aren’t common enough for them to be the most sought after thing. Even if you pull a Domino, as a 6 star she would be sitting at rank 1-2 and would most likely be unduped unless you are super lucky. 5 stars are more common, are easily awakenable, sig stones are easy to obtain, and players can max them out because the resources are available. If my predictions are correct, to max out a 6 star you are going to need a Tier 6 basic catalyst, Tier 5 Class Catalysts, and tier 3 alphas. It’s going to be ridiculous. As of right now IMO, 6 stars are trophies for those who are extremely high rated, and could maybe see a use for a Corvus, IMIW, Domino, or Cap IW if they pull them.
  • GrecianfoxGrecianfox Posts: 114
    MrBanks wrote: »
    6 stars aren’t common enough for them to be the most sought after thing. Even if you pull a Domino, as a 6 star she would be sitting at rank 1-2 and would most likely be unduped unless you are super lucky. 5 stars are more common, are easily awakenable, sig stones are easy to obtain, and players can max them out because the resources are available. If my predictions are correct, to max out a 6 star you are going to need a Tier 6 basic catalyst, Tier 5 Class Catalysts, and tier 3 alphas. It’s going to be ridiculous. As of right now IMO, 6 stars are trophies for those who are extremely high rated, and could maybe see a use for a Corvus, IMIW, Domino, or Cap IW if they pull them.

This is true however 6*s are the future of the game with tier 5 class cats coming soon to bring a 6* to r5
  • AngelLordAngelLord Posts: 62
    Not much help here ahe3ynhz8rf5.jpg
  • Patchie93Patchie93 Posts: 1,898 ★★★★
    Grecianfox wrote: »
    MrBanks wrote: »

This is true however 6*s are the future of the game with tier 5 class cats coming soon to bring a 6* to r5

People said the same thing about 5*s when they came out