**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Tanking...

TChalllaTChallla Posts: 85
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
I understand this is a known and common issue.

Every single alliance we have faced during the off season is tanking l, without exception.

It may negatively impact us during the season but we are fine with that. This alliance would kill us normally.

I understand it’s a thing.
Post edited by Kabam Vydious on

Comments

• Options
    lockitup11lockitup11 Posts: 28
    Unfortunately, it goes both ways. Some are tanking while others are getting matched against alliances 4 to 6 tiers higher than theirs every war. It's a major downfall to wars and not sure how it will be fixed, making Wars a dying part of MCOC very rapidly
  • Options
    lockitup11lockitup11 Posts: 28
    Unfortunately, it goes both ways. Some are tanking while others are getting matched against alliances 4 to 6 tiers higher than theirs every war. It's a major downfall to wars and not sure how it will be fixed, making Wars a dying part of MCOC very rapidly
  • Options
    HeavyBr3athingHeavyBr3athing Posts: 144 ★★
    Definitely works both ways. I'm in a 6 mill alliance, we have been matched with a 14 mill alliance. I might be wrong but that doesn't seem balanced
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★
    War Rating is the metric people are manipulating to take advantage of others, so I think fair went out the window.
  • Options
    DarthHaasDarthHaas Posts: 385 ★★
    No need to change anything. Tank the war if you don’t want the rewards or don’t enter match making if you don’t want to go into a higher tier for war season. It’s just a strategy that people are using to get an advantage. It’s not against TOS so nothing to see here.
  • Options
    HeavyBr3athingHeavyBr3athing Posts: 144 ★★
    John757 said:

Alliance rating has nothing to do with matchmaking being even or fair. War rating!!! Come on people

This post is about tanking so when an alliance who has double the alliance rating, where their defenders are double PI due to them tanking the war rating. Definitely feels a bit ****.
  • Options
    He said terms of service LMAO!!!

Listen, im not crying about it. The matchmaking system has provided good matchups for us in season but once the offseason hits it went haywire.

If there was no issue people wouldn’t feel the need to completely alter their war strategy.

I understand coming across as a bootstrapper but let us not ignore reality.
  • Options
    John757 said:

John757 said:

War Rating is the metric people are manipulating to take advantage of others, so I think fair went out the window.

No one is being taken advantage of
    I'm sorry, but I disagree with that.
    Allies are taking Losses to lower their War Rating, so they can ambush weaker Allies for Seasons momentum. The people who are trying to be Matched with reasonable Matches are being taken advantage of. All these people are doing is entering a Match. It is the definition of taking advantage. Only it comes at someone else's expense. You can't climb your way uphill on someone's back and not expect to make footprints.
    If you feel like someone doing something in a video game is taking advantage of someone else I find that sad. There are people who truely get taken advantage of in real life. Choose you’re words carefully
    There are many different connotations to taking advantage. I have no idea why your mind went there, but that's not mine to carry.
    They are taking advantage of weaker Allies to use those easy Win Points. That is taking advantage. It's using the Matchmaking in a manipuative way so they can cherry pick easy Wins much lower than their actual strength. It comes at the expense of the honest Allies who lose Points trying to play fairly with their own Season goals. That is the definition of taking advantage. Reality check. There's nothing fair or honest about it.
  • Options
    John757John757 Posts: 1,085 ★★★

John757 said:

John757 said:

Allies are taking Losses to lower their War Rating, so they can ambush weaker Allies for Seasons momentum. The people who are trying to be Matched with reasonable Matches are being taken advantage of. All these people are doing is entering a Match. It is the definition of taking advantage. Only it comes at someone else's expense. You can't climb your way uphill on someone's back and not expect to make footprints.
    If you feel like someone doing something in a video game is taking advantage of someone else I find that sad. There are people who truely get taken advantage of in real life. Choose you’re words carefully
    There are many different connotations to taking advantage. I have no idea why your mind went there, but that's not mine to carry.
    They are taking advantage of weaker Allies to use those easy Win Points. That is taking advantage. It's using the Matchmaking in a manipuative way so they can cherry pick easy Wins much lower than their actual strength. It comes at the expense of the honest Allies who lose Points trying to play fairly with their own Season goals. That is the definition of taking advantage. Reality check. There's nothing fair or honest about it.
    You can stop mansplaining tanking 😂 everyone knows what it is. I just don’t see it as a terrible issue and instead of taking advantage you should say gaming the system. Just because two things have similar meanings doesnt mean you should use those terms in the same manner. No one is being harmed. If Kabam fixes the loophole then it’s taken care of, if they don’t do anything to stop it then nothing is wrong.
  • Options
    TChallla said:

John757 said:

John757 said:

It’s safe to assume that we all understand that the context is gaming and not on the level of global atrocities.

I’m just saying there are better ways to say something. And again if someone feels emotionally or psychologically hurt because of something happening in a game, then we are dealing with another problem entirely.
  • Options
    Taking advantage is the appropriate term. Taking advantage of how Matchmaking works, and taking advatage of Allies who lose to others stronger than them. Someone else is on the other end of that. I don't base right or wrong on whether it's justifiable by being overlooked. I'm sure we have all developed an understanding of what is right and what is wrong. At least most of us, anyway.
  • Options
    If I tell my alliance members that during offseason I don’t care who they place on defense because I want them clearing other content in the game to get better and ready for the season, is that “taking advantage” or “harming” other alliances?
  • Options
    There's a reason the metric is based on performance. It is intended to Match you based on your capabilities. Not to be lowered so you can gain an advantage over Allies less capable.
  • Options
    BrainimpacterBrainimpacter Posts: 578 ★★★
    yea tanking is getting ridiculous, anyone have an idea when next season starts?
  • Options
    John757 said:

If I tell my alliance members that during offseason I don’t care who they place on defense because I want them clearing other content in the game to get better and ready for the season, is that “taking advantage” or “harming” other alliances?

No. That would be honest. That's not what we're talking about here. It's actually looking for a plausible but untrue justification for it.
    We're talking about intentionally taking dives. I'm sure we all know what the Topic is.
  • Options
    But what if those members place 3*s as defenders? At what point do we start harming the other alliances?
  • Options
    John757 said:

TChallla said:

John757 said:

John757 said:

It’s safe to assume that we all understand that the context is gaming and not on the level of global atrocities.

I’m just saying there are better ways to say something. And again if someone feels emotionally or psychologically hurt because of something happening in a game, then we are dealing with another problem entirely.
    Yet you understand that’s not happening. We all know it's a game.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I'm not splitting hairs on this. People know what's up, they know what it is they're doing, and it is not right or justifiable. In War, you run the best you can muster. If your best Champs are in a Quest, then you put up the best you can. When you start talking about placing 3*s, 2*s, or nothing, the intention is clear. You would never do that during Seasons. Honestly, there's really no end to the extent of manipulation. Even in the excuses given.
    We know what we're talking about and I'm not going to pretend it's excused by that. It is wrong, plain and simple. The problem is, people don't care about their actions. They don't care who it takes away from, they don't care that it's wrong, they don't care if it creates an unfair advantage or not. All they care about is getting Points no matter what. It's greed.
  • Options
    John757 said:

But what if those members place 3*s as defenders? At what point do we start harming the other alliances?

I’d say that since you’re being a stickler around language that you’re using deniability as a way to tank without actually saying it.

At some point you can clear content and do well in war. Not to mention there are consistent periods during the season where all champs should be available during that month long period.

As an alliance leader I’m not buying the idea that you need the off season to clear content.

• Options

I'm not splitting hairs on this. People know what's up, they know what it is they're doing, and it is not right or justifiable. In War, you run the best you can muster. If your best Champs are in a Quest, then you put up the best you can. When you start talking about placing 3*s, 2*s, or nothing, the intention is clear. You would never do that during Seasons. Honestly, there's really no end to the extent of manipulation. Even in the excuses given.
    We know what we're talking about and I'm not going to pretend it's excused by that. It is wrong, plain and simple. The problem is, people don't care about their actions. They don't care who it takes away from, they don't care that it's wrong, they don't care if it creates an unfair advantage or not. All they care about is getting Points no matter what. It's greed.

😂😂😂
  • Options
    Honestly, I think it might be time to increase some of the individual Win and Loss Rewards and only run War during Seasons. Then have a 2-week break.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,671 Guardian
    John757 said:

John757 said:

I personally think there's a lot of grey area when it comes to how people treat off season wars, but almost everyone I know that plays this game plays it in real life. When you harm someone else's game play, you aren't harming meaningless pixels, the harm lands on actual people.
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

John757 said:

John757 said:

I personally think there's a lot of grey area when it comes to how people treat off season wars, but almost everyone I know that plays this game plays it in real life. When you harm someone else's game play, you aren't harming meaningless pixels, the harm lands on actual people.
    I’ll make sure to have 911 on speed dial the next time I get harmed by a tanking alliance
This discussion has been closed.