Options

Tanking...

Comments

• Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,328 ★★★★★

St. Peter: looks like you devoted your life to Jesus and helping other less fortunate....but you tanked AW! Off to hell you go.

Moral absolutism is exactly why nobody likes Captain America or Superman.

Are you still trying to minimize it? Bless you.
  • Options
    John757John757 Posts: 1,085 ★★★
    Some people like flexibility when they quest in content like act 5, act 6,variant, LOL and don’t want to be hindered by being on a schedule and want to do it on their own time and pace. Yes it’s possible to clear content during season and a lot of us do but we also like to be part of the team and do our part during season. So during offseason we don’t tell guys they have to use their main defenders every other day for war so they can do what they want when they want.
  • Options
    XManBarry1XManBarry1 Posts: 28

St. Peter: looks like you devoted your life to Jesus and helping other less fortunate....but you tanked AW! Off to hell you go.

I don’t have to try, it’s already a very minimal issue. This entire dilemma isn’t going to be on the cover of the Washington Post, man.

• Options
    Oh and my bad we also run 2 bgs during offseason instead of the normal 3.... hope that’s not tanking 😂
  • Options

I don’t have to try, it’s already a very minimal issue. This entire dilemma isn’t going to be on the cover of the Washington Post, man.

No, it isn't a minor issue. Within the game, it is a large problem. Enough for people to post about it consistently, every Off-Season. For every Alliance that does it, there's a number of other Allies that are affected by it every Season beginning. It's not just some one-sided advantage. It's screwing lower people over. That not only affects their goals in the Season, but it also throws the entire Matchmaking system out of whack because it was designed to shift with honest Wins and Losses, and Match people accordingly based on that.

It is not a "very minimal issue".
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,914 Guardian

No, it isn't a minor issue. Within the game, it is a large problem. Enough for people to post about it consistently, every Off-Season. For every Alliance that does it, there's a number of other Allies that are affected by it every Season beginning. It's not just some one-sided advantage. It's screwing lower people over. That not only affects their goals in the Season, but it also throws the entire Matchmaking system out of whack because it was designed to shift with honest Wins and Losses, and Match people accordingly based on that.

A small number of players in absolute terms complain about this, and based on my calculations for season points only a small fraction of alliances can reasonably benefit from tanking in the first place. You have to simultaneously be near a bracket border but not near a tier border. If you are very close to the top or bottom of a season bracket in points, a small amount of extra points can be very meaningful; if you are in the middle of a bracket the extra points from one or two extra wins won't change your end of season result. But on top of that, if you are very near a war tier boundary, one or two extra losses to lower tier will cost you multiplier if you drift to a lower tier, which will neutralize a significant amount of the benefit of tanking in the off season. And then on top of all of that, if you aren't at least a gold alliance and you're jockeying for bracket position like this, you're just crazy.

Probably less than a hundred alliances total can benefit from tanking. Maybe more than that *think* they can, but if you think you can and you're wrong, you could end up hurting yourself, which is an indirect way of helping all the alliances you fall behind inadvertently.

I'm not saying this isn't an issue, but I suspect that outside of the top 300 alliances this is mostly something between a side show and a clown show.
  • Options

You still get matched up with another alliance with very close War Rating, its not like someone in Masters is going to be matched with someone in Gold 2 or 1. Just play the game and stop crying

Lets try and be nice
  • Options
    crgoodw1ncrgoodw1n Posts: 125
    I am in a 17mil alliance. We are not tanking and actually have a decent win streak going. Not sure how, but we got matched to a 6.6mil alliance. Haha I feel bad for them. I’m not sure how or why this bad of a mismatch would occur but it just reinforces what a lot of people feel about the flaws in the system. I hope it gets remedied soon.
  • Options
    xNigxNig Posts: 7,265 ★★★★★
    edited April 2019
    John757 said:

TChallla said:

You tank buddy. No way around it. Maybe not as blatant but your arguments don’t make sense with regards to content and champ use. There is plenty of time that explore content at full strength during the season.

That look like a tanking defense? haha
    What? Not even tier 5? Any mini on the challenger/expert map looks scarier than your Korg boss. 😂

Tanking doesn’t affect you at all. Lol
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

A small number of players in absolute terms complain about this, and based on my calculations for season points only a small fraction of alliances can reasonably benefit from tanking in the first place. You have to simultaneously be near a bracket border but not near a tier border. If you are very close to the top or bottom of a season bracket in points, a small amount of extra points can be very meaningful; if you are in the middle of a bracket the extra points from one or two extra wins won't change your end of season result. But on top of that, if you are very near a war tier boundary, one or two extra losses to lower tier will cost you multiplier if you drift to a lower tier, which will neutralize a significant amount of the benefit of tanking in the off season. And then on top of all of that, if you aren't at least a gold alliance and you're jockeying for bracket position like this, you're just crazy.

Probably less than a hundred alliances total can benefit from tanking. Maybe more than that *think* they can, but if you think you can and you're wrong, you could end up hurting yourself, which is an indirect way of helping all the alliances you fall behind inadvertently.

I'm not saying this isn't an issue, but I suspect that outside of the top 300 alliances this is mostly something between a side show and a clown show.
    Nevertheless, they may not gain headway from it, but it still affects those that have to come up against them. 2 weeks of Tanking, that's 6 War Losses. That's a significant dip in Rating. Perhaps not grand in terms of overall, but significant enough to place them in Matches they are farther enough along to be in. That's a potential 6 Wars that are overpowered when Seasons begin, and if you're the recipient of said Matches, that makes it harder to start the Season out the gate. I don't disagree that it's not very lucrative or smart, I'm just concerned for the effects overall.
  • Options
    xNig said:

John757 said:

TChallla said:

You tank buddy. No way around it. Maybe not as blatant but your arguments don’t make sense with regards to content and champ use. There is plenty of time that explore content at full strength during the season.

That look like a tanking defense? haha
    What? Not even tier 5? Any mini on the challenger/expert map looks scarier than your Korg boss. 😂

Tanking doesn’t affect you at all. Lol
    Half of my old alliance started a new alliance last month with another alliance. It takes some time to build the war rating back up to normal haha believe me I’m getting bored with these easy maps
  • Options
    DarthHaasDarthHaas Posts: 385 ★★
    Break out the comfort animals it’s war off season and someone is tanking

• Options
    Nerfed2DefNerfed2Def Posts: 292 ★★
    I think it’s cool. All the stress of seasons; it’s nice to go into a war unboosted, not healing and taking an L and it not really matter. You won’t complain if it is happening during the season so let’s keep it real. All the atrocities committed by this company and were complaining about alliances letting us win? LOL. Only at Kabam MCOC. Perspective gentleman. If you were better, you would win each matchup anyway and for what.....some pixel shards and maybe a catalyst for a champ you can rank to be nerfed by nodes once the money surge is over. Lmao. I’ll let that drama pass me by.
  • Options
    People letting you win is just a fallacy. It's letting people win to steal the Points from under them when Seasons start. Which is what everyone works their tails off for. Other people are not responsible for your feelings on the company, and that doesn't give you the right to take advantage of them in spite of it. I'm not even going to argue skill when people don't belong that low. If they were half as smart and skilled as they claim they are, they'd stay in their own lane and earn it honestly.
  • Options
    Ultra8529Ultra8529 Posts: 526 ★★★
    Its the off season. People want their best champs to clear all sorts of other content like Map 7, variant, Act 6. We face enough constraints on our top champs during the season with never ending AQ and AW cycles, the off-season is for many people the only window to seriously get content done. What basis does anyone have to demand that they continue to place their best champs in AW?
  • Options
    John757 said:

Oh and my bad we also run 2 bgs during offseason instead of the normal 3.... hope that’s not tanking 😂

It technically is, but since I’m in an a AQ focused alliance, we basically tank every AW as well. Top champs are always in AQ, simply because AW isn’t worth the effort, unless you’re a platinum tier. Look, Kabam did a great job updating rewards in AQ and UC EQ, but the rewards in AW are woefully dated. I mean, we can use up resources, tie up our 8 best champs and really press to 100% each BG without dying to max out attack rating for....180 5* shards? Its barely worth the effort. All of this complaining is over a couple hundred shards, which you can get far easier in arenas and monthly event quests, without the headaches or resources. The edge you’ll attain by tanking and the extra rewards you’ll get are laughable. Just throw your hat into map 6 AQ and you’ll forget all about your AW woes.

• Options
    LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,643 ★★★★★

John757 said:

It technically is

No, it isn't. Not technically or otherwise. If they run 2 groups and try to win they will be matched with others with 2 groups and their war rating will increase with a win. There is no sense in which it is tanking. Your group isn't tanking either. If you focus on AQ your war rating will reflect that and you will get even matches against people playing at your level, even if you could play at a higher level. You aren't manipulating the system in order to smash lower opponents. For someone with a lot to say on the subject of tanking you don't seem to know the first thing about it. And the complaining has nothing to do with a few shards smh.

• Options
    Guy_NoirGuy_Noir Posts: 31
    Ultra8529 said:

Its the off season. People want their best champs to clear all sorts of other content like Map 7, variant, Act 6. We face enough constraints on our top champs during the season with never ending AQ and AW cycles, the off-season is for many people the only window to seriously get content done. What basis does anyone have to demand that they continue to place their best champs in AW?

People are starting wars, placing no defenders and sending in no one to attack in order to guarantee a loss. Even if they face someone doing the same thing, a tie is a loss for both sides. And they are swapping the entire alliance for another with a lower war rating while they continue to tank the previous alliance in preparation to swap again. It's not about not going full throttle in the offseason.
  • Options
    RapRap Posts: 3,196 ★★★★
    It really amazes me that there is so much poor behavior, cheating with 3rd party software, piloting, buying things between one another! Tanking? All this among a group of people who supposedly admire these heros??? What exactly is it that you people admire or admired about them? The costumes? The powers? 'Cause it's pretty obvious it isn't their sense of right and wrong, of fair play or justice???? So yeah??? What the heck interests you about being a hero? The chics?
  • Options
    KarlnakKarlnak Posts: 43
    I don't think tanking is the issue. Kabam is never going to force people to participate. Nor should we want them to.

The real issue is that the matchmaking is not great. But there's also not a simple solution. I don't know how it works right now, but my alliance got terrible matchups all season long.

I would think that it would be based on a combination of alliance rating, war rating, and war season ranking. No idea what that would look like though.
  • Options
    TChalllaTChallla Posts: 85
    After all this my alliance has decided to tank in the off season to gain an advantage when the season starts back up.

Embarrassing 🤮
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,914 Guardian
    TChallla said:

After all this my alliance has decided to tank in the off season to gain an advantage when the season starts back up.

Embarrassing 🤮

My alliance just did what I can only describe as anti-tanking. We played to win in a war where we were placed against another tier 6 alliance but was again placed on the challenger map, and the other side basically threw in the towel half way through but the other officers wanted to push to lock in the win anyway. On top of that there was a scheduling problem and I basically had to push through all the links in my path (6) including the miniboss, which I actually managed to get down to the last 1% despite having only one bleed immune attacker verses a bleed-linked node. Because they are crazy, and I'm just as crazy.
  • Options
    DshuDshu Posts: 1,503 ★★★★

People letting you win is just a fallacy. It's letting people win to steal the Points from under them when Seasons start. Which is what everyone works their tails off for. Other people are not responsible for your feelings on the company, and that doesn't give you the right to take advantage of them in spite of it. I'm not even going to argue skill when people don't belong that low. If they were half as smart and skilled as they claim they are, they'd stay in their own lane and earn it honestly.

All this talk about tanking but no real details on how the alliance was tanking. If it's a 1 bg war alliance ratings can differ a lot while still having close war ratings. There are plenty of alliances made up of a mix of retired endgamers and newer accounts. Maybe you hit an off season war where only the endgamers joined but didn't have time to actually game. Maybe you hit an alliance of endgamers starting a new alliance and climbing. Kabam is doing the best it can to match like alliances and the only measure they have is the alliance war rating. Rather than looking for conspiracies where they don't exist maybe just enjoy the game while you can. Pretty sure the number of alliances intentionally tanking in the off season and gaining a huge advantage during the 4 week season is pretty minimal.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Dshu said:

All this talk about tanking but no real details on how the alliance was tanking. If it's a 1 bg war alliance ratings can differ a lot while still having close war ratings. There are plenty of alliances made up of a mix of retired endgamers and newer accounts. Maybe you hit an off season war where only the endgamers joined but didn't have time to actually game. Maybe you hit an alliance of endgamers starting a new alliance and climbing. Kabam is doing the best it can to match like alliances and the only measure they have is the alliance war rating. Rather than looking for conspiracies where they don't exist maybe just enjoy the game while you can. Pretty sure the number of alliances intentionally tanking in the off season and gaining a huge advantage during the 4 week season is pretty minimal.
    I wasn't talking about me, or any particular case. I was talking about the Tanking epidemic in general. It's not a conspiracy, and I'm not going to keep debating whether it is or it isn't happening. We ALL know it is, Players AND Staff. Lol. We're all aware.
  • Options
    TChalllaTChallla Posts: 85
    Dshu said:

The matchmaking system has worked very well for us the whole season. Most of our wars have been settled by less than 1,000 points and a good chunk under 250. The difference is stark.
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

TChallla said:

Embarrassing 🤮

My alliance just did what I can only describe as anti-tanking. We played to win in a war where we were placed against another tier 6 alliance but was again placed on the challenger map, and the other side basically threw in the towel half way through but the other officers wanted to push to lock in the win anyway. On top of that there was a scheduling problem and I basically had to push through all the links in my path (6) including the miniboss, which I actually managed to get down to the last 1% despite having only one bleed immune attacker verses a bleed-linked node. Because they are crazy, and I'm just as crazy.
    The term is actually reverse tanking. 😂
  • Options
    KnightNvrEndingKnightNvrEnding Posts: 446 ★★★
    John sounds like he must be one of those tankers😂
  • Options

I’m not even getting started on that again. Never tanked once.
  • Options
    John757 said:

I’m not even getting started on that again. Never tanked once.
    Just own it, John. Some run 2 BGs, some are a AQ focused, some put their best champs in EQ. We’re all tankers.
This discussion has been closed.