**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

What game mechanic always gets on your nerves?

Human_Iceberg2Human_Iceberg2 Posts: 282 ★★★
I hate passive abilities. It’s annoying to release a champ with immunity to a certain debuff, make a new champion that has a passive version of the same debuff/buff and screw us over (passive unstoppable, passive incinerates, passive evades). I also don’t like unblockable and unstoppable on everything.

Comments

• Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,759 ★★★★★
    Passive abilities are in the game since the beginning basically ...
  • Fred_JoeityFred_Joeity Posts: 1,168 ★★★
    Magneto's magnetism... I still suck at fighting him. Also when any mechanics don't work for some reason.
  • CrkwestCrkwest Posts: 384 ★★★

Magneto's magnetism... I still suck at fighting him. Also when any mechanics don't work for some reason.

Don't use champs with metal 😂
  • Fugitive21Fugitive21 Posts: 221
    Parry .... I cant parry for anything
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian

I hate passive abilities. It’s annoying to release a champ with immunity to a certain debuff, make a new champion that has a passive version of the same debuff/buff and screw us over (passive unstoppable, passive incinerates, passive evades). I also don’t like unblockable and unstoppable on everything.

This is honestly a weird complaint to me. As @will-o-wisp states, so-called passive abilities have been around forever. In fact, before any player had an awareness of passive abilities the game always had things that simply "were" and could not be affected by anything else. We have things like Starlord's signature ability. Instead of stacking fury like everyone else, Starlord just magically gets more attack in a way you cannot nullify or affect in any way (except by breaking combo). Ultron partially absorbs energy attacks, and many champs simply have higher "base stats" like armor and resistance. How do you nullify a higher base critical rating? You can't.

Kabam could have continued making these abilities "invisible" in which case you'd never have "passive abilities" to be angry with. Instead they would just be hidden, opaque, "base" abilities that were unavoidable, immune to nullification or suppression, and invisible. The passive ability framework organizes and makes more transparent what these abilities are and how they work. It doesn't enable Kabam to make these effects in the first place. The passive ability framework is 90% beneficial to the players, because it takes game mechanics that used to be opaque and makes them visible. But if players hate passive unstoppable, Kabam could just as easily make champions have invisible unstoppable where the champion goes unstoppable but there's no icon. After all, there was a time when many effects did not have buff bar icons, and there are still many legacy effects that have no icon.

Now, maybe the problem isn't really that the effects are passive, the underlying issue that some players have is that they have some special affinity for nullification, although I think that's unlikely. But if players think there's some inherent unfairness about introducing champions that have abilities that are immune to nullification, I wonder how they would feel if champions like Symbiote Supreme could "nullify" Starlord's combo attack boost or Mephisto could suppress Domino's lucky/unlucky triggers. I think most players wouldn't think that was a good trade, but if some players are genuinely interested in some abstract sense of "fairness" then if all unstoppables should be vulnerable to nullify, then all effects should be as well, including those that players would find mostly player-beneficial.
  • EvisceratorEviscerator Posts: 350 ★★
    Abilities/nodes that punish basic fighting, like masochism eating our parries or korg getting stronger when we dex
  • ClydaniaClydania Posts: 440 ★★

He means passive buffs not abilities
  • ClydaniaClydania Posts: 440 ★★
    Hate masochism. Was stuck on that quest 5.2.4 for more than 6 months (obvs not playing every single day) but as a frame of reference I cleared all of 4.1.1-5.2.3 with one try each in 3 months
  • SlimeballSlimeball Posts: 340 ★★
    domino failure, still solo her just annoying passive damage even with tech champs, unless im missing something
  • SlimeballSlimeball Posts: 340 ★★

@DNA3000 why are you comparing star lord and ultrons passive abilities to this? That’s not what I meant. There are many passive abilities that are unfair and countered by few champions. Other than SG and SH who counters a passive unstoppable? No one

cap iw, ss
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,759 ★★★★★

Void being incinerate immune is now worthless against HT since he can apply passive incinerates.

You mean, that PASSIVE ENERGY DAMAGE OVER TIME you take, that has nothing to do with Incinerate, and that Void shouldn't be immune to it?
    Yeh, some things players need to read and know for this kind of accident's don't happen mid-fight.
    Clydania said:

He means passive buffs not abilities
    Passive buffs, don't exist. I understood that the OP was talking about passive abilities that would be a pain to fight against, but that's just how the game is evolving. Still, those exist in the game since the very beginning.

@DNA3000 why are you comparing star lord and ultrons passive abilities to this? That’s not what I meant. There are many passive abilities that are unfair and countered by few champions. Other than SG and SH who counters a passive unstoppable? No one

Depends on your definition of "counters." Both Spider Gwen and She Hulk can suppress unstoppable, but they can't remove it. If that counts as a counter, then Vision counters lots of unstoppable effects by preventing defenders from ever using a special attack that would trigger unstoppable.

The point was that passive abilities aren't a problem, because they've been around forever. That's why I would mention other passive abilities that aren't ordinarily considered passive abilities: to demonstrate the point that passive abilities aren't the issue. It seemed important to go further and explain that passive abilities don't create the issue of "uncounterable" effects, they simply make those effects visible to players.

@DNA3000 this was a post about what I felt was the most annoying ability. Am I entitled to an opinion on certain abilities in the game? Everyone has a mechanic that they hate.

Am I entitled to comment on that opinion, or did the forum ownership change hands and I didn't notice.
  • OllyoxenfreeOllyoxenfree Posts: 248
    I don’t really like dexterity. It’s an aweful mechanic.
  • ZuroZuro Posts: 2,719 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

@DNA3000 this was a post about what I felt was the most annoying ability. Am I entitled to an opinion on certain abilities in the game? Everyone has a mechanic that they hate.

Am I entitled to comment on that opinion, or did the forum ownership change hands and I didn't notice.
    Just because it was here at the start of the game even though it wasn’t doesn’t change the fact that it is still annoying like do you always start debates for no reason like he stated his OWN opinion it’s not like he is talking for the community just for his self personally yet you want to critique him over his own opinion which is HIS not yours so why does it matter to you in anyway

@DNA3000 I mean it is MY OPINION on what I feel is most annoying. Everyone’s opinion varies on different subjects and I didn’t think it was fair to criticize what I thought was most annoying.

I made no comment on what you felt was most annoying. I was commenting on the fact that what you find annoying has nothing to do with whether the effects were passive or not, even though it might superficially seem like that was the case. Passive effects aren't the only way to make effects immune to nullify, and they aren't the only way to make effects that don't have what players would ordinarily consider direct counters. They are just the scapegoat. The developers have lots of ways to make effects "intrinsic" without being "passive." And if you place the blame on passive effects instead of the root reason why the effects are annoying, the devs could simply use non-passive effects that are even more annoying to replace them. Like, say, control reversal. The point about control reversal isn't that it doesn't work like a normal buff, rather the control reversal effect itself changes the rules of the game. Passive effects ignore some of the rules of the game, while control reversal rewrites the rules of the game directly.

Think about it this way. Passive effects are like Tony Stark's Iron Man armor, and control reversal is like Dr. Strange's magic. Tony Stark bends the laws of physics. Dr. Strange's magic completely rewrites them. I'd rather have the developers living within the laws of physics and pushing and bending them, than being free to completely rewrite them whenever they want to add new challenging effects to the game. The former should be common, the latter should be rare. But if players keep complaining about passive effects being "cheap" and "shady" and "unimaginative" then maybe one day the devs will decide to become more creative. Control reversal is more creative.
    Zuro said:

DNA3000 said:

Just because it was here at the start of the game even though it wasn’t doesn’t change the fact that it is still annoying like do you always start debates for no reason like he stated his OWN opinion it’s not like he is talking for the community just for his self personally yet you want to critique him over his own opinion which is HIS not yours so why does it matter to you in anyway
    Why does mine matter to you?
  • _Chaos__Chaos_ Posts: 143
    Block damage.... And Hela and Punishers indestructible. I always spam sp1 when in assassins range.