**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Hard defenders should not be allowed as opponents in arena

Comments

• GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    edited July 2019
    I think there's also something to be said for the practice you get from the Arena. Mind you it's a controlled atmosphere, but you gain practice taking those Champs down within a small amount of time, with repetition. You also get to practice with a variety of Champs because you never know what you'll be Matched with.
  • RockypantherxRockypantherx Posts: 3,900 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

It’s a good place to practise sure, but newer players who won’t come across these sorts of horrible defenders for a while won’t know their abilities as you can’t look at them in arena.

I think the solution to that problem is to make the champions ability sheet reachable from the arena. It is hard to know when someone will come across hard defenders: things like the cinematic crystal come along and suddenly everyone is facing IMIW in literally every war and dropping dead immediately because they had no exposure to him, and suddenly everyone had to go to crash course duel school.
    Yeh this is the best solution to me at least. I honestly don’t know why you can’t already, it seems like such an obvious feature

mbrace said:

It seems like there is an IMIW in every other match-up. He’s not that hard with the right champ, but you probably aren’t going to have the right champ in arena. I have to say, the mutant champs vs. IMIW have been rough.

Actually, he's my most frustrating Fight in the Arena for this very reason. Not bad when you have the right Champs. Hell if you don't. His AI is a pain. He either Auto-Blocks or bypasses just about every move you try.
    Having said that, I don't agree that these Champs shouldn't be in the Arena. The Arena is comprised of who brings what Teams, with the exception of Kang and Thanos. All Champs are allowed.
    for the millionth time:
    1) no autoblock until u see a blue armor icon with the number 4 under it.
    2) if u try to parry his first attack, unless you're proxima, don't. wait for his second strike.
    3) if he has a bar of power keep your distance and watch for the sp1 or heavy
    4) if he's duped keep your sp3 handy when he's close to 15% health. otherwise slap him silly.
    5) that's all it takes to beat that chump.
    Yeah I'm not thinking about all that when I'm in the middle of a long Grind. Lol.

Something makes me use skill in the game and adapt?
    Naw let’s just appeal to a complaining audience

Not sure if that's directed at me or not, but my issue is the AI coupled with his move set. That's the frustration. No issues dealing with him in Quests. Rounding up on 100k Arena Wins, so I've had practice. Lol. It's doable, but uncharacteristically different than other Fights. I Grind through it, of course. It's just frustrating.
    Do I want to adapt? Sure. Do I have time to stop and analyze move sets in the middle of an Arena Grind? Not always. You're going Fight after Fight for 3 days, trying to amass enough Points to earn what you want, and keep a Streak going. It's not really the type of atmosphere you have time to stop and assess much. You're trying to Grind as fast as possible.

Not sure if that's directed at me or not, but my issue is the AI coupled with his move set. That's the frustration. No issues dealing with him in Quests. Rounding up on 100k Arena Wins, so I've had practice. Lol. It's doable, but uncharacteristically different than other Fights. I Grind through it, of course. It's just frustrating.
    Do I want to adapt? Sure. Do I have time to stop and analyze move sets in the middle of an Arena Grind? Not always. You're going Fight after Fight for 3 days, trying to amass enough Points to earn what you want, and keep a Streak going. It's not really the type of atmosphere you have time to stop and assess much. You're trying to Grind as fast as possible.
    Op, not you lol
    Ah. Gotcha. Well, FWIW then. ;)

Op, not you lol
    Ah. Gotcha. Well, FWIW then. ;)
    FWIW ?
    For what it's worth. :)
  • StellarStellar Posts: 1,069 ★★★★
    Arena is one of the best thing you can do to learn how-to beat hard defenders.
  • dot_dittodot_ditto Posts: 1,442 ★★★★

@UmbertoDelRio I play pretty well. Korg reflecting damage back is not something you can play around. You cannot completely prevent magik or mephisto from triggering their limbo or incineration. Hyperion can’t be goaded into throwing a special 1 or 2. Why are you criticizing my skill instead of seeing why I made this post?

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Knowing about the game is at least 40% of actually playing the game well.
    Korgs thorns only relect damage from mediums, heavies and specials. Just light intercept.

Magiks limbo isn't that much of a hassle as long as you PORPERLY (it feels like some people don't actually know whar they're doing seeing all the complaint posts about this) bait her sp1. Pacify(?) also helps to prevenr limbo.

Mephisto is a similar case. As long as we're not talking death squad the damage from his aura is negligible. Pacify(?) also helps here.

Hyperion... Learn to bait properly. I haven't been hit by a non oscillate hype sp3 in such a long time. Can't just be luck.

There's a skill solution to almost every problem in this game.
    as much I agree with 99% of your post, I do feel the need to point out: Hyperion can be (emphasis: "CAN BE") a royal pain in the a$$ .. I've fought him many times, and know how to bait very well ... but I always have trouble getting him to throw one ... now .. once he starts throwing them ? heck, you can't get him to stop spamming sp1's ... LOL

but yeah, I usually try to avoid him in arena's, because of that ... *shrug*
    in quests, I use Ghost with Hood synergy, or Iceman (since he just soaks the hit) .. or Luke Cage .. again, just soak it .. *shrug*
    but lots of solutions for him .. (ie Magik, Vision, heck, even Dormamu works .. ;) )
  • PawnyExpressPawnyExpress Posts: 52
    How about no, it's a great place to hone your skills against these champs. By not relying on specific champs to beat them you learn how to fight better. If losing a streak is the penalty then just start over and stop complaining, it only takes 5 min to get it back
  • Battle_GreninjaBattle_Greninja Posts: 327 ★★

I know the title is confusing, but I’m talking about champions that are really difficult defenders and cannot be knocked out without a specific champ. For example, I just lost my arena streak to a korg and Hyperion (arena AI is super passive and waits for special 3). Other opponents like havok, korg, hyperion, magik, and mephisto are also annoying and almost impossible to beat without luck or a certain champ.

Then how will you learn to beat them with any champ...
  • NeotwismNeotwism Posts: 1,803 ★★★★★
    I think it would help newer players if the brackets were tied to progression levels instead of a set amount of time. I didnt know anything about the beginner amd intermediate brackets when i first downloaded the game. It isnt mentioned anywhere in the game itself. If beginner bracket was for ppl who havent completed Act 2, intermediate act 3 or even 4 and then advancing to the veteran bracket seems like a better idea in my opinion. I would have to look back over the acts to determine what ones would best apply but it would help ppl just starting out i think.
  • Kevo9513Kevo9513 Posts: 356 ★★
    Get good.
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    edited July 2019
    Neotwism said:

I think it would help newer players if the brackets were tied to progression levels instead of a set amount of time. I didnt know anything about the beginner amd intermediate brackets when i first downloaded the game. It isnt mentioned anywhere in the game itself. If beginner bracket was for ppl who havent completed Act 2, intermediate act 3 or even 4 and then advancing to the veteran bracket seems like a better idea in my opinion. I would have to look back over the acts to determine what ones would best apply but it would help ppl just starting out i think.

If you did that, people could just start a new account and grind out every new champ while staying in beginner to build a roster before jumping I to any story content
    Neotwism said:

I think it would help newer players if the brackets were tied to progression levels instead of a set amount of time..

This actually isn't a bad idea .. ;)
    Kevo9513 said:

Get good.

.. "get good", then he shows a fight using a champ with higher PI than the opponent .. LOL

show me a fight where you beat a 4k Hyperion with a 2k champ (or lower) .. then you have the right to stand there and say "git good" LOL
    *sigh*
  • LormifLormif Posts: 7,369 ★★★★★
    dot_ditto said:

Kevo9513 said:

Get good.

.. "get good", then he shows a fight using a champ with higher PI than the opponent .. LOL

show me a fight where you beat a 4k Hyperion with a 2k champ (or lower) .. then you have the right to stand there and say "git good" LOL
    *sigh*
    I can show you a video where I 1 shotted the variant hyperion with my rank 4 korg, and that is much harder than beating hyperion normally. You dont attack hyperion like you would other attackers, you attack him only after he throws a special and then stop and bait another special.
  • MauledMauled Posts: 3,957 Guardian
    Outside of death squads - most of which are eminently winnable anyway if you can persuade the opponent to throw a special - there are no unwinnable matchups. Some are harder than others, sure, but there are no champions in this game that have one specific counter and are otherwise unbeatable.

Sure Korg’s thorn damage is annoying but you can just bait a heavy MLLLL and take the single thorns hit on the chin, save your sp3 for his next round of rock stacks.

IMIW doesn’t require Corvus/Captain Marvel etc. just learn to heavy counter

The list goes on, but you also have 3 champs to choose from, it’s your own fault if you pick 3 techs and come up against Hyperion, Medusa and Captain Marvel
  • PseudouberPseudouber Posts: 750 ★★★
    Most of these fight are doable however I will say that I have fought Hype and can bait really well but many times going up against him he will just not take the bait i arena the same as in quests and it sucks!
  • Etm34Etm34 Posts: 1,644 ★★★★★

@NanoDroid but I also use weaker champs in arena. A 3/30 og spidey cant kill havok or magik

Yeah he can. Easily. It’s arena. Just parry all day and attack.
  • LormifLormif Posts: 7,369 ★★★★★
    Etm34 said:

@NanoDroid but I also use weaker champs in arena. A 3/30 og spidey cant kill havok or magik

Yeah he can. Easily. It’s arena. Just parry all day and attack.
    you dont typically parry havok.