**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

How base stats work: Specifically Attack Rating

Cendar333Cendar333 Posts: 303
edited September 2019 in General Discussion
Hello Kabam/General Community!

I am trying to put together a video tutorial to post on YouTube for new players on how base stats work in the game and I wanted to clarify a few things on the nitty gritty about attack if people are willing/able.

How EXACTLY is attack used to calculate damage in the game (when it is not a critical hit)? Is it simply an addition/subtraction problem where the opponent's armor/resistances are simply subtracted from the attack? Is it calculated in some other way (once again excluding critical hits, I just want to know the base calculation)

How is the damage for each type of hit calculated? Is a light always X% of a champion's base attack and Medium/Heavy attacks always Y%? It doesn't seem this way from my experience of the game. If not is there perhaps a base calculation that only certain champs deviate from? I wanted to know if there is any standard to understand this better.

Does anyone know any resources already created that I can point others to if they are looking for info on how to interpret base statistics in game?

Anything anyone wants to add about attack rating specifically would be welcome! I'm trying to do my homework before making this video

Thanks,

Cendar333

Comments

• The basic idea is that most attacks do some multiple of attack rating in base damage. For example, all light attacks do 25% of the champion's attack rating in base damage. My recollection is that medium attacks do 40%, and heavies do 85%. Special attacks don't follow a rule like this.

Anything that buffs attack rating automatically increases the base damage of any attack that scales with attack rating. Base damage is then increased or decreased by damage buffs and debuffs. Starting from 100% (base damage) your outgoing damage is increased by or decreased by damage buffs linearly: add them all up, and that's your final outgoing damage.

When the damage "lands" there's a separate set of complex calculations that happens. Armor and resistances are calculated and your damage is reduced by that. If the attack is physical damage then physical resistance is used, if the attack is energy then energy resistance is used. Both are flat stats so you have to calculate the actual net armor rating from the flat stats which turns into a percentage: damage is reduced by that percentage. Armor breaks count as "negative armor." As of the last time I checked, armor break and armor are calculated separately and then combined. In other words, you DR your armor and you separately DR you "negative" armor breaks, and you then subtract the armor break percentage from your armor percentage. Oh, there's also armor penetration which allows an attacker to essentially reduce the amount of armor the target has. It also works independently of armor last I recall.

Crits are more complicated.
  • xdethsquadxxdethsquadx Posts: 50
    All % increases are based on the base attack. So if WS with KM increases 5% per hit, boosts and synergies dont matter. Masteries either. Even boosts. Not suicides +10% of suicide damage. You get suicide damage plus 10% of base attack.
  • xdethsquadxxdethsquadx Posts: 50
    There is a critical rate and damage rating for every champ. That greatly chamges the amount of damage done. Everyone has a flat% based on their base attack for crits and such. Opponent block proficiency and armor change it. RNG and diminishing returns effect it too.
  • Cendar333Cendar333 Posts: 303
    DNA3000 said:

The basic idea is that most attacks do some multiple of attack rating in base damage. For example, all light attacks do 25% of the champion's attack rating in base damage. My recollection is that medium attacks do 40%, and heavies do 85%. Special attacks don't follow a rule like this.

Anything that buffs attack rating automatically increases the base damage of any attack that scales with attack rating. Base damage is then increased or decreased by damage buffs and debuffs. Starting from 100% (base damage) your outgoing damage is increased by or decreased by damage buffs linearly: add them all up, and that's your final outgoing damage.

When the damage "lands" there's a separate set of complex calculations that happens. Armor and resistances are calculated and your damage is reduced by that. If the attack is physical damage then physical resistance is used, if the attack is energy then energy resistance is used. Both are flat stats so you have to calculate the actual net armor rating from the flat stats which turns into a percentage: damage is reduced by that percentage. Armor breaks count as "negative armor." As of the last time I checked, armor break and armor are calculated separately and then combined. In other words, you DR your armor and you separately DR you "negative" armor breaks, and you then subtract the armor break percentage from your armor percentage. Oh, there's also armor penetration which allows an attacker to essentially reduce the amount of armor the target has. It also works independently of armor last I recall.

Thanks for your comment!

Just for further clarification, let's take the example of a champion that arbitrarily has an attack rating of 100 and the defender has no armor, no resistances. There are no buffs or debuffs in play. The defending champion is not blocking. Under these circumstances the attacking champion would do 25 damage with a light attack, 40 damage on a medium attack and 85 damage on a heavy attack? Is that correct @DNA3000 ? Do these percentages vary from champion to champion?
  • Cendar333Cendar333 Posts: 303
    And just for clarification to everyone here, like I said I want to make this video for new players. I just want to break down the specific stat "attack rating" and take a simple case with no additional resistances/armor, non-blocking and no critical hits. Just how much damage would a champion do with each of the basic attacks if everything else were completely vanilla and unmodified.
  • Cendar333 said:

DNA3000 said:

The basic idea is that most attacks do some multiple of attack rating in base damage. For example, all light attacks do 25% of the champion's attack rating in base damage. My recollection is that medium attacks do 40%, and heavies do 85%. Special attacks don't follow a rule like this.

Thanks for your comment!

Just for further clarification, let's take the example of a champion that arbitrarily has an attack rating of 100 and the defender has no armor, no resistances. There are no buffs or debuffs in play. The defending champion is not blocking. Under these circumstances the attacking champion would do 25 damage with a light attack, 40 damage on a medium attack and 85 damage on a heavy attack? Is that correct @DNA3000 ? Do these percentages vary from champion to champion?
    That's correct so long as the attack doesn't crit, and as far as I'm aware this is true for all champions.