**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Matchmaking in BG needs real examination

Comments

• IamGrO_otIamGrO_ot Posts: 172 ★★

Paragon & «Legend»

5*/4*s with 1*s…just to face a 3*s only deck 🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮🤮
  • MackeyMackey Posts: 1,547 ★★★★★
    edited November 2022
    Kabam Jax said:

Hey Summoners!

Excited to announce that the planned changes to BG Matchmaking have been implemented!

From the game team: "Manipulating your decks will no longer get you a favourable matchup."

This should prevent sandbagging moving forward.

What about the matchmaking? That was the main thing behind this post. Is the matchmaking still based off of some form of deck rating/prestige? Or is it how it should be, just 2 guys/girls searching for a match at the same time as one another irrespective of deck rating/prestige? That's the bigger issue here and I believe that is what @Mauled was getting?

Apologies if that isn't what you set out to shed light on Mauled
  • Vergeman78Vergeman78 Posts: 132 ★★
    This just means no matter what you do to your deck, it won’t factor in to matchmaking. Up to us to figure out what does. They never explain their methods.

If it’s anything but random, it’s going to lead to complaints. But it’s not like they ever commented on wanting it to be random within a rank. And it’s been brought up on multiple posts to silence from the likes of @Kabam Miike and others.

So it’s either roster, prestige, progression level based.
  • ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Posts: 3,243 ★★★★★
    Graves_3 said:

Kabam Jax said:

Hey Summoners!

Excited to announce that the planned changes to BG Matchmaking have been implemented!

From the game team: "Manipulating your decks will no longer get you a favourable matchup."

What does the quote mean? What’s the matchmaking based on?
    They're probably not going to tell us how it works or what they did because that's what started sandbagging in the first place. If they tell us what they did I'm sure someone out there will find a way to exploit it.
  • Graves_3Graves_3 Posts: 1,301 ★★★★★

Graves_3 said:

Kabam Jax said:

Hey Summoners!

They're probably not going to tell us how it works or what they did because that's what started sandbagging in the first place. If they tell us what they did I'm sure someone out there will find a way to exploit it.
    Someone actually will find out what they did in a few days. I just hope it’s not based on things like account rating or account prestige.
    Graves_3 said:

Graves_3 said:

Kabam Jax said:

Hey Summoners!

Someone actually will find out what they did in a few days. I just hope it’s not based on things like account rating or account prestige.
    Oh I don't doubt that. I'm just saying it's unlikely they'll tell us so asking them to do so is a waste of time. They wouldn't just give it away like that because some people would immediately start thinking about a way to gain an advantage and exploit any flaw they can find.
  • zrs20508zrs20508 Posts: 10
    Is anyone surprised that kabam made something playable for only one season before they went right back to unplayable? I still can’t figure out why I’m playing this game anymore. I was excited after seeing how fun battlegrounds was in season 2, but I’m almost disappointed in myself for imagining that it wouldn’t be trash in season 3.

4 hours post “update” and it looks like sandbagging is doing just fine. Running a team of max 4* and R2/3 5* with a PI range of 4k-5500. Overall by the numbers the decks are probably even, but this guy clearly had some bigger stuff because half his roster is 2*. Working as intended I’m sure.

EDIT: make that 2 in a row. Time to switch the deck. Not sure how Cav and lower players are expected to survive.

What's your overall prestige and that guy's? Maybe they're doing overall prestige.

Sandbagging is alive and well, almost worse. Unless the deck your running is full R3 6* and up, you are very likely to meet a sandbagger. Cav and lower players are going to continue to be abused

4 hours post “update” and it looks like sandbagging is doing just fine. Running a team of max 4* and R2/3 5* with a PI range of 4k-5500. Overall by the numbers the decks are probably even, but this guy clearly had some bigger stuff because half his roster is 2*. Working as intended I’m sure.

EDIT: make that 2 in a row. Time to switch the deck. Not sure how Cav and lower players are expected to survive.

What's your overall prestige and that guy's? Maybe they're doing overall prestige.
    Mine is 15.1k. First guy was 10.6, second was 14. I’d give it to them on the second one, but it’s probably safe to say it isn’t based on prestige.

Sandbagging is alive and well, almost worse. Unless the deck your running is full R3 6* and up, you are very likely to meet a sandbagger. Cav and lower players are going to continue to be abused

Mine is 15.1k. First guy was 10.6, second was 14. I’d give it to them on the second one, but it’s probably safe to say it isn’t based on prestige.
    Well, I'm Uncollected so I'll be doing 20 to 30 matches tonight with my top deck (something I couldn't do back in season 2 cause I kept getting sandbaggers) and I'll see how many sandbaggers I face. Maybe my results will be different to yours because I'm Uncollected and you're Thronebreaker.
  • FurrymoosenFurrymoosen Posts: 2,225 ★★★★★
    edited November 2022

Well, I'm Uncollected so I'll be doing 20 to 30 matches tonight with my top deck (something I couldn't do back in season 2 cause I kept getting sandbaggers) and I'll see how many sandbaggers I face. Maybe my results will be different to yours because I'm Uncollected and you're Thronebreaker.
    I wish you well on your endeavors.
  • Yodabolt21Yodabolt21 Posts: 2,532 ★★★★★
    It’s great you guys fixed it, but we get a clue as to how matchmaking is done? Is it prestige or hero rating or what? I don’t think it’s out of line for us to be told how it is done.
  • Dragoon81Dragoon81 Posts: 147 ★★
    I’d say the fix doesn’t work, my deck is pretty high. Tossed 10 1* in and matched someone much lower.

I wish you well on your endeavors.

You were absolutely right lmao played 10 matches and got 6 sandbaggers in total so I decided to stop, it's 100% not working. This was my first match, I barely have 6 rank 4 5* and the rest is just maxed out 4* and rank 3 5*

You were absolutely right lmao played 10 matches and got 6 sandbaggers in total so I decided to stop, it's 100% not working. This was my first match, I barely have 6 rank 4 5* and the rest is just maxed out 4* and rank 3 5*

I’m sorry that this seems like it is going to be much of your experience in this game mode. It’s not fair that this exploit exists, and it’s not fair that whatever fix there was only seems to have made it worse. Regardless of the problem persisting, it would be great if there was more integrity amongst the player base to not abuse this system. Sucks.
    Oh no don't worry I was used to this. Season 2 was a mess as well but I managed to get quite far by grinding the last two weeks with an all 4* deck, almost made it to plat 1 and got waaay less sandbaggers so I'm probably going to use the same approach.
    As for the changes I doubt they even made any changes at all, sounds more to me like all they did was try to scare people with that post, foolishly assuming people wouldn't still try it out, but yeah, wish people would play fair. This is definitely not in the spirit of BG.
  • Lestat2499Lestat2499 Posts: 266 ★★★
    I bet the matchmaking will be based on your top deck possible. Regardless what you put in there. Only way I can see them saying manipulating your deck won’t make a difference. But that takes away the option of champs that fit the week. Hmmmm
    Kappa2g said:

Hot take: I feel like deck manipulation shouldn't fully be removed.

Firstly, the type that is putting in 10 of your highest ranked champions and filling the rest with 1/2 stars is obviously unsportmanship like and should be discouraged and tweaked against.

However if a new thronebreaker player has limited R3 6*s and is getting matched into thronebreakers with over 10 R3 6*s, its terrible matchmaking. So if the new thronebreaker player chooses to abandon his highest pretige champs and foot in a deck of purely R5 5*s and R2 6*s to match into high cavalier players, I think thats fair game. Both players are then playing in a setting of a full 30 champion deck at max 5 star power levels.

Same idea goes for any endgame players that wishes to foot in an entire deck of 4*s and 3*s, they should be matched accordingly to players with full 4*/3* decks as it becomes a game of drafting and planning instead of seeing which player is able to pull the newest champion at the highest rarity.

Obviously all deck manipulation tatics should have no effect in the gladiator circuit where rank rewards are given out...

Here's the thing, two wrongs don't make a right. I understand even big accounts can get screwed over because of matchmaking but in that case, the solution should be fixing both issues together so the game mode can be perfectly balanced (as all things should be, Thanos was right) that way nobody gets screwed over by nobody and we can all enjoy the game.
  • zrs20508zrs20508 Posts: 10
    Also hot take, it seemed like one person in particular was doing a whole lot of chatting and then deleting once he or she saw what we were all going through. Maybe that should be a life lesson that @kabam is and will continue to be trash, but by the time you find out like the rest of us it’s too late. Let’s not forget that we were assured that sandbagging wouldn’t lead to favorable matchups anymore from a @kabam account.
  • _Pez__Pez_ Posts: 214 ★★★
    I'm not sure, since the change, im just getting matched against people in the same division exclusively (gold2) which seems like a good thing. Still getting beaten a lot, but winning more too in fairer matches. Hypothetically if they have made it so you just fight people in the same division, there may still be a lot of people with sandbagger decks, doesn't necessarily mean it's not working as intended, there could just be a lot of people who haven't changed their deck yet.
  • IamGrO_otIamGrO_ot Posts: 172 ★★
    Kabam Jax said:

Hey Summoners!

The changes didn’t do anything, the sandbagging are worser than ever…what did you guys do ?!?