**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Best and fastest way to beat the trials in epic mode.

1234568»

Comments

• LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    edited January 2019
    @DNA3000 maybe you noticed the boosts more the last time because there was no Epic level?
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,558 Guardian
    @DNA3000 maybe you noticed the boosts more the last time because there was no Epic level?

I don’t think it’s a question of difficulty verses boost strength because I’m playing both epic and expert (on two different accounts of course). Calibrated for strength of roster, I’m having similar subjective experiences.
    Drooped2 wrote: »
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    they give you boosts that counter alot of the ****..

I haven't really stopped to think about why in a quantitative way, but I honestly don't notice the boosts in this iteration of the trials like I did in the previous iteration. In the previous version, the boosts were very powerful and while you couldn't sleep walk your way through the content you were basically a demi-god destroying the content on day seven if you saved up all of the boosts and used them all at once. That seemed to be an interesting reward for not using them during the week and deliberately doing the daily maps in hard mode. In this iteration, I lost all the boosts during the server double-maintenance and when the server came back up I just went back in and completed the map. I kinda noticed they were gone, but not really. Admittedly that was expert on my secondary account, but I don't really notice them in the same way I did in the previous iteration on my main account in Epic either.

On the subject of something for everyone, a game design philosophy I've supported for years, I think the boosts were a good element of that in the previous trials. It gave players a way to "shuffle" difficulty around, allowing them to work harder in the earlier maps to save up the boosts for the hardest map. The fact that they don't seem to be subjectively working in the same way might be part of the reason there are more complaints about this version, separate from the obvious bump upward in difficulty.

I don't mind failure, if I can learn something from that failure. But the trials aren't giving me a way to improve. If the team I'm using fails, I'm just going to use it again next week because I have no real choice. I can't adapt to the map, because it will be different anyway. I can't learn what works against a certain node/champ combination, because I won't face it again. In the words of Kabam's developers, I have very few opportunities for counterplay. That might be a source of frustration that should be improved upon, regardless of difficulty.

Really? I dont recall names cause I popped quick no reading all at once but that regen boost helped alot to me I slow played some endings of fights to get another heal trigger of it In for the next fight... parry hide evade evade parry hide regen in the corner kill was a huge save for me.
    Some of the boosts seemed slightly less effective and certsinly less then last round of this style

The arc overload one seems to have a longer recharge although I have no numbers to back that up. The only other boost that seems to have a significant impact on the fights is the one that give you the counter-mesmerize. But it is fickle because it is random. Again, that’s a subjective not objective observation on my part.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,193 ★★★★★
    I don't care if it's not "how design works", which is just a wordy way of saying they put out what they want

"Consistency" is just a wordy way of saying you can't handle top tier content, so the game must bend to your will.

I see the advantage of using fewer words now. You don't need to actually think about what you type, and denigration conveys so much more directly. I can see why it is the option of choice for so many.

No. Consistency means consistency. It means that Easy, Normal, Hard, Expert, and Epic are within consistent ranges each time. It means knowing what to expect so we can judge for ourselves what we are capable of, as opposed to being all over the place from installment to installment. Consistency means not blindsiding people by amping up the challenge factor, you know, just because Rewards and stuff.
  • ThorrealWorthyThorrealWorthy Posts: 16
    edited January 2019
    Yes this is what we wanted a challenge instead of a cake walk.

If you cant beat it that's on you

Since, you like challenge, go play some RTS games.
    Oh wait, you probably are not capable to do so, cos you only know how to open your wallet to win :)
    I don't care if it's not "how design works", which is just a wordy way of saying they put out what they want

"Consistency" is just a wordy way of saying you can't handle top tier content, so the game must bend to your will.

I see the advantage of using fewer words now. You don't need to actually think about what you type, and denigration conveys so much more directly. I can see why it is the option of choice for so many.

No. Consistency means consistency. It means that Easy, Normal, Hard, Expert, and Epic are within consistent ranges each time. It means knowing what to expect so we can judge for ourselves what we are capable of, as opposed to being all over the place from installment to installment. Consistency means not blindsiding people by amping up the challenge factor, you know, just because Rewards and stuff.

At least as far as this side quest is concerned, no one is complaining about any difficulty but Epic. Most Epic side quests have had this sort of response so I guess it's pretty consistent. Epic hasn't been around that long for these events. Which one did the majority of posters find reasonable?
  • ContestOfNoobsContestOfNoobs Posts: 1,454 ★★★★
    CapWW2 wrote: »
    5/65 blade

5/65 mephisto

5/65 Medusa

5/65 gladiator hulk

5/65 vision

This is the team needed to beat this challenge. I only have one of the 5 above.

I have none of these champs in R5,

• ContestOfNoobsContestOfNoobs Posts: 1,454 ★★★★

At least as far as this side quest is concerned, no one is complaining about any difficulty but Epic. Most Epic side quests have had this sort of response so I guess it's pretty consistent. Epic hasn't been around that long for these events. Which one did the majority of posters find reasonable?

funny thing is..
    Noone complained about the epic difficulty about gwenpool goes to the movie comparing the rewards vs "epic" difficulty that it brought in.

If anything people complained it was to easy.

funny thing is..
    Noone complained about the epic difficulty about gwenpool goes to the movie comparing the rewards vs "epic" difficulty that it brought in.

If anything people complained it was to easy.

I forgot about that one. It felt more like a chore than a quest lol.

The labels aren't intended for that purpose. They are relative labels of difficulty not absolute ones. Heroic/Hard, for example, is the middle difficulty. That will have some level of difficulty in monthly quests, and that level of difficulty will be roughly the same month to month. But comparing the difficulty of heroic in monthly quests to the difficulty of challenge quests is not proper, especially if the developers explicitly state that a particular challenge quest is explicitly more difficult than typical quests.

Your kind of consistency just creates busy work for the developers who have to make up different labels for the difficulty of challenge quests so that elementary, standard, tough, adept, and supreme aren't compared incorrectly to easy, normal, hard, expert, and epic. And then we have to come up with other names for other content. And then we have about a hundred names for a hundred little difficulties and no one can remember any of them and the labels become useless.

That's just a wordy way of saying I would rather keep five labels and annoy players like you than try to satisfy this requirement.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,193 ★★★★★

The labels aren't intended for that purpose. They are relative labels of difficulty not absolute ones. Heroic/Hard, for example, is the middle difficulty. That will have some level of difficulty in monthly quests, and that level of difficulty will be roughly the same month to month. But comparing the difficulty of heroic in monthly quests to the difficulty of challenge quests is not proper, especially if the developers explicitly state that a particular challenge quest is explicitly more difficult than typical quests.

Your kind of consistency just creates busy work for the developers who have to make up different labels for the difficulty of challenge quests so that elementary, standard, tough, adept, and supreme aren't compared incorrectly to easy, normal, hard, expert, and epic. And then we have to come up with other names for other content. And then we have about a hundred names for a hundred little difficulties and no one can remember any of them and the labels become useless.

That's just a wordy way of saying I would rather keep five labels and annoy players like you than try to satisfy this requirement.

Busy work? Are we being real here? It's busy work not to ramp it up to the point where it's no longer the same level? I'm quite sure they're aware when they want to make it harder. It's getting ridiculous. You want to keep making the design argument, be my guest. You're straining.
  • CokesiCokesi Posts: 4
    5/65 Blade + Stark spidey (for synergy) + ghost rider (for synergy) should be able to take care of mephisto and modok.

4/55 Dr Voo Doo should be able to take care of Luke Cage, Rogue, heimdall and Iron Man,

4/55 Domino as back up.

Busy work? Are we being real here? It's busy work not to ramp it up to the point where it's no longer the same level? I'm quite sure they're aware when they want to make it harder. It's getting ridiculous. You want to keep making the design argument, be my guest. You're straining.

I keep waiting for you to explain in what sense they have ramped up Epic, a very recent addition to side quests which have caused complaints every time (except for gwenpool which had no difficult level).
  • SDPSDP Posts: 1,622 ★★★★
    edited January 2019
    Void is MVP for the trials. I must be getting better as a player, cause I have completed these every single day on Epic. Awesome.
  • StrStr Posts: 547 ★★
    I dont mind the ones where it requires skill... seeing the champs posted in first pic they all look doable. The dormammu and iceman have been insane. Its very hard to bring a champ to counter all. I have lost champs on gamblers fate several times to poison or bleed or degen. Took my vision on to it and then i got degen and opponent had regen. If i take ghulk sods law he will bleed to death. I like the idea of the quests but some champs on nodes need to be rethought. Coldnsap does need to be toned down as even with boosts r4 champs are dying with 0 hits taken.

One solution would be to have tokens like modoks lab but instead of changing the nodes it would change the champ you face... or if you could scout it before you faced it to see if you had the roster to face it.
  • 4Never4Never Posts: 84
    edited February 2019
    The RNG, defender, and node/buff combinations on *some* of these fights are just over-the-top stupid. So much unavoidable damage. 0 fun. All BS.

For the last day/culmination, you can't bring a team of 5 to deal with all of the *possible* BS combinations/RNG/Defenders. You are locked in, with no ability to retry. Gabler's fate alone, when it afflicts poison, bleed, degen on you, or puts healing on defender, power gain, etc. will straight up wreck your fight/team. Unavoidable damage, or just too many timers to keep track of. How many timers have to align just before I can get an attack window, which lasts barely one combo duration? Hop on one foot, juggle flaming batons, play a song on a harmonica without your hands, while twirling a hula-hoop around your waist and your one held up leg. Oh, and by the way, you have one attempt at it (or use resources to try again). No thanks.

When I say 0 fun, it's pure frustration, and if this is the future of content, it'll be the end of the game for me. Other than the Maze, this is the first time I am not able to complete challenge content. To me it's not a challenge, it's just an RNG fiesta that with particular combinations, is a revive fest (which surely aren't worth the rewards), or just straight up quit out. I'm never complained about difficult content before.

After a few failed attempts on some days in Epic difficulty, I've just avoided those days now. I always try the epic last/culmination day, but have had to quit out of that a few times. (I have one 5* r5 and try to take in as many 5* r4s that I can.) It feels bad, and disappointing.
  • KarnageKarnage Posts: 152 ★★
    Try getting Brawl/oscillate/double gamblers fate Hyperion, 3 times in a row...
  • 4Never4Never Posts: 84

Karnage wrote: »
    Try getting Brawl/oscillate/double gamblers fate Hyperion, 3 times in a row...

Yup, quit out on that one yesterday.

I have Andriod, so am on the make up day now. Got KP, and Iceman today. KP with Gambler's fate took out 3 champs, and Iceman just did over 24k damage with cold snap (and it had a few ticks left) at the start of the fight and took out one of my 6*s with no hits. Have half health on Void left. How many revives would it take to get through Iceman? I don't have ST, or Mephisto either in my roster or team. So, quit that one too.