**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

So this is it huh? Bugged quests compensation lol

Comments

• Options
    Isman1998Isman1998 Posts: 520 ★★★

Anyone else get this?
  • Options
    LormifLormif Posts: 7,369 ★★★★★
    Isman1998 said:

Anyone else get this?

yes, that is the havok compensation, I got better rewards, I assume because I was on the highest difficulty when I attempted.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,660 Guardian
    Lormif said:

Ace_03 said:

Why are some people getting better rewards for the same bug? I got 20% revives and others in the screenshot got 40% revives, better potions and more energy refills?

The items sent for this compensation were based upon the highest difficulty of the Nameless Thanos fight that you attempted before the fix was put live April 26. This is why it may look different for others.

1 year and a half ago, similar circumstances, much more generous package, inflation and devaluation are a constant in this game, now you have to do twice as much, for much more less in return.

Incredibly disappointing.
    You're comparing Ice Phoenix to an added Safeguard Node? Do you remember how insane she was?
    Do you? You weren't uncollected then and defended her.
    Lormif said:

Aleor said:

Well, they can't really go back and give everyone exactly what they used. That would take forever.

What world do you live in? It's pretty easy actually, and not that long - computers are pretty fast today plus you can do users in different threads, so not that difficult. I'd expect then to have a beautiful log by now, after all those lame accidents they had compensating in past , so could be done in couple of hours at max plus computing time, let's say 48h. People waited even more actually
    No, it's not that easy. The Rewards are handled by the server. First you have to search the data for people who completed it before the fix. Then you have to compile a list of who used what, then manually send out those Items to each Account. It's not just the press of a button.
    Dude you should stick to things you know, this you do not know. The fact that it is handled by the server makes it vastly easier. If it was handled by the client then they could not know at all. That it is handled by the server means it is logged somewhere, and if it is logged somewhere then a simple grep of the log/database can get you the data you need AND email out the rewards. I can think of 10 ways to automate this on a linux server, and my coworker can think of just as many on a windows server.
    Not when you have to do individual Accounts manually. You can send it via the server but it still takes manual work. Much more than a generic package. I do know what I'm talking about. The expectations are not realistic.
    what makes you think they have to do it manually? You can typically automate these things pretty completely. A simple for loop that looks up the information needed then pipes it to the process that does the mailing.

for i in `grep string log`
    do
    grep $i log | grep resources used| awk '{clean up data}'| xargs program for mailing
    fi
    This assumes it is a log file, it is probably a database, in which case you change line 3 to a sql statement that still piles to the file. That is a basic pseudo code for what can be done with the limited information, there are vastly cleaner ways to do it.. If they have to manually process this I would be very surprised.
    Companies like Splunk make millions of dollars off of game developers solving a problem that you believe doesn't exist.

Having some direct experience here, you're probably wrong about the data being in a queryable database. You're also certainly wrong in assuming it could exist in a single, or even a fixed set of log files. It is almost certainly in a distributed log repository, fed by distributed sources including the cloud services the game almost certainly uses as a component of its backend infrastructure.

Oh, and the developers writing whatever it is you think they would write to get data out of the live game would also have to overcome the small problem of developing in the blind: game developers are generally separated from the live game servers and the live game data by Chinese walls they are forbidden to breach. You're basically living in a batch world comparable to 1970s job submission procedures. That's why you can't just "pipe it to mail" - you're going to hand your work to an operations crew that will run it for you against the live systems, and you aren't going to see what happens directly. If anything goes wrong, you won't know it until a million customers get the wrong thing.
  • Options
    RasiloverRasilover Posts: 1,456 ★★★★
    Imagine complaining about compensation A.K.A free stuff
  • Options
    SummonerNRSummonerNR Posts: 10,635 Guardian
    Isman1998 said:

Anyone else get this?

Lormif said:

yes, that is the havok compensation, I got better rewards, I assume because I was on the highest difficulty when I attempted.

I think that one might be the overall difficulty compensation for Epic/Master (that pic probably Master, mine was L4 Health). Lyra comment from 8:05pm EST
    https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/138054/save-the-battlerealm-corrections#latest
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

Lormif said:

Ace_03 said:

Why are some people getting better rewards for the same bug? I got 20% revives and others in the screenshot got 40% revives, better potions and more energy refills?

The items sent for this compensation were based upon the highest difficulty of the Nameless Thanos fight that you attempted before the fix was put live April 26. This is why it may look different for others.

1 year and a half ago, similar circumstances, much more generous package, inflation and devaluation are a constant in this game, now you have to do twice as much, for much more less in return.

You're comparing Ice Phoenix to an added Safeguard Node? Do you remember how insane she was?
    Lormif said:

Aleor said:

Well, they can't really go back and give everyone exactly what they used. That would take forever.

What world do you live in? It's pretty easy actually, and not that long - computers are pretty fast today plus you can do users in different threads, so not that difficult. I'd expect then to have a beautiful log by now, after all those lame accidents they had compensating in past , so could be done in couple of hours at max plus computing time, let's say 48h. People waited even more actually
    No, it's not that easy. The Rewards are handled by the server. First you have to search the data for people who completed it before the fix. Then you have to compile a list of who used what, then manually send out those Items to each Account. It's not just the press of a button.
    Dude you should stick to things you know, this you do not know. The fact that it is handled by the server makes it vastly easier. If it was handled by the client then they could not know at all. That it is handled by the server means it is logged somewhere, and if it is logged somewhere then a simple grep of the log/database can get you the data you need AND email out the rewards. I can think of 10 ways to automate this on a linux server, and my coworker can think of just as many on a windows server.
    Not when you have to do individual Accounts manually. You can send it via the server but it still takes manual work. Much more than a generic package. I do know what I'm talking about. The expectations are not realistic.
    what makes you think they have to do it manually? You can typically automate these things pretty completely. A simple for loop that looks up the information needed then pipes it to the process that does the mailing.

do
    grep $i log | grep resources used| awk '{clean up data}'| xargs program for mailing
    fi
    This assumes it is a log file, it is probably a database, in which case you change line 3 to a sql statement that still piles to the file. That is a basic pseudo code for what can be done with the limited information, there are vastly cleaner ways to do it.. If they have to manually process this I would be very surprised.
    Companies like Splunk make millions of dollars off of game developers solving a problem that you believe doesn't exist.

Having some direct experience here, you're probably wrong about the data being in a queryable database. You're also certainly wrong in assuming it could exist in a single, or even a fixed set of log files. It is almost certainly in a distributed log repository, fed by distributed sources including the cloud services the game almost certainly uses as a component of its backend infrastructure.

Oh, and the developers writing whatever it is you think they would write to get data out of the live game would also have to overcome the small problem of developing in the blind: game developers are generally separated from the live game servers and the live game data by Chinese walls they are forbidden to breach. You're basically living in a batch world comparable to 1970s job submission procedures. That's why you can't just "pipe it to mail" - you're going to hand your work to an operations crew that will run it for you against the live systems, and you aren't going to see what happens directly. If anything goes wrong, you won't know it until a million customers get the wrong thing.
    This was a very basic example. Also remember this is an American company.

Here is the thing, if the support reps have tools to get the data, which we know they do, then that data gathering and sending can be automated.
  • Options
    Kobster84Kobster84 Posts: 2,898 ★★★★★
    Rasilover said:

Imagine complaining about compensation A.K.A free stuff

It’s not free stuff though is it the entire reason they give it out is because people used resources because of a bug
  • Options
    danielmathdanielmath Posts: 4,045 ★★★★★

Carmel1 said:

Hi,

This was compensation related to the issue with the Nameless Thanos fight specifically. Additional compensation related to the difficulty changes in the Save the Battlerealm Quest will be coming before the event ends. Keep an eye on the announcement thread for details.

I beat the uncollected thanos, a day or two before the “fix”.
    I wasted 30-35 revives (plus boosts) only on his last phase.
    I haven’t received any compensation yet.
    Are you still sending them out or you’ve just skipped me for any reason?
    Why would you do that? He's here for like 6 weeks, why would you dump so many resources into a fight instead of just practicing it? This stuff is truly baffling to me
    Ok here is my thing:

He was bugged for about a week. If you started practicing on day 1 not knowing he was bugged and kept on practicing, eventually you are going to want to take him down. For the sake of example, let's say you were practicing for 4 days after watching some YouTube vidoes. So then you get him to his third phase with one or two characters and then you think you will do it. So you pop boosts and go for it. Once your in, your in. You use what you have in your stash and realize you can only take about a percent off each time. Sometimes more, sometimes less. You end up going through a ton of revives but you got him down. The next day kabam tells you he is bugged and you should have been doing more damage in the third phase that cost you so much. Your rightfully upset and move on. This compensation comes out and it just makes you laugh.
    Why? if you couldn't even get to his 3rd phase without losing 3-4 champs obviously you're not ready at all for the fight. Even after those 4 days, you still had like 40 days left......
    I could get to his third phase the above is a hypothetical. Just because there are a ton of days left, doesnt mean I should have to wait until day 40 to complete content so kabam can clean up bugs they didnt test.
    ya i just can't understand that line of thinking because it's so absurd/illogical to me, but to each their own
    I get your point, I really do. I just personally like to complete content early and I operate under the assumption that the content is how it should be. That way, I can work on the smaller quests towards the end of the month and do dungeons/arena
    Fair enough, a lot of people try to do all the new content within a day or 2 of release. Next time if you get stuck, be patient young grasshopper :)
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,660 Guardian
    Lormif said:

DNA3000 said:

Lormif said:

Ace_03 said:

Lormif said:

Aleor said:

do
    fi

Here is the thing, if the support reps have tools to get the data, which we know they do, then that data gathering and sending can be automated.
    I actually doubt the support reps have tools to get this specific data: rarely do support reps have access to the live data logs directly. They have access to an excerpt of the data created just for the support databases, and that is preprocessed and can't contain information you wouldn't know you needed in advance. Beyond that, they probably have to send data requests to operations. All of my interactions with support seem to imply this to be true.

The phrase "Chinese wall" is a term commonly used to describe the situation in a business where one part of the business doesn't share information with a different part of the business for certain reasons usually revolving around security or conflict of interest. The term has nothing to do with China per se, except being a round about reference to the Great Wall of China.

I once did an analysis of how certain rewards dropped in a game, and I had access to logs that were similar (but not identical) to the server logs. I ended up having to write a state engine parser for the log analysis, because individual log lines did not contain the information in question. A log line might say something like "item dropped' but not from what kind of reward container, and not what the player was doing or where the player was at the time. You had to actually read through the logs and keep track of when players entered and left instances, when they picked up and dropped things, and what they were doing in the prior moments of time to know under what context "item dropped" meant. And then I had to write even more code to understand that sometimes the logs glitched, and if I tried to keep perfect state across millions of log lines I'd eventually have the wrong state because of a single dropped line.

In effect, I had to recreate the game to figure out what the logs were trying to say about what was happening in the game. And there were tons of special case conditions. It is entirely possible a similar situation exists for MCOC. The logs might say that a player entered an event. And it might say they exited the event. But you probably wouldn't want to give compensation to someone that just entered and exited. You'd want to make sure they at least tried to fight something. But the logs might only say that they started fighting node 12. But the only way to know that was node 12 in the appropriate event would be to do a similar kind of state tracking of the logs. And then the only way to know how difficult or easy this is would be to see those logs. I don't think Kabam is going to be showing those to us any time soon.
  • Options
    SummonerNRSummonerNR Posts: 10,635 Guardian
    Just realized the package (original pics in thread here) with the Single Hero Revives and Heals was for Unnamed Thanos in Monthly EQ, while the later package had Team Revives/Heals for the Save The Battlerealm (“Use the Stones” quest, thus Stones picture on mail msg).

But sems sort of backward in that you bring a full 5-man Team into the Monthly Thanos quest, while you only bring a single hero into the “Use the Stones” quest.

Just an observation, not complaining. It’s nice they did compensate people.
  • Options
    Thekiller8967Thekiller8967 Posts: 323 ★★
    edited May 2019
    I still haven't beaten UC or even master thanos and have made my peace with it. But I can agree this compensation is very very wimpy. They need to give a lot more than 3 single revives. They gave better compensation for the last stand for crying out loud. Ik they can't go through everyone's account and refund them what they spent but I think people getting more than they put into it really isnt that big of a deal to make sure most people aren't getting totally screwed. Again I wouldn't benefit from this at all but even I can agree those people need something better for something that was kabams fault for not testing better.

• Options
    Drooped2 said:

Lormif said:

DNA3000 said:

Lormif said:

Ace_03 said:

Lormif said:

Aleor said:

do
    fi

Correct I work in server management and the data should be there. But I dont support giving back to people just because they chose to keep doing it and failing
    they did not know it was broken, they thought they were failing.
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

Lormif said:

DNA3000 said:

Lormif said:

Ace_03 said:

Lormif said:

Aleor said:

do
    fi

I actually doubt the support reps have tools to get this specific data: rarely do support reps have access to the live data logs directly. They have access to an excerpt of the data created just for the support databases, and that is preprocessed and can't contain information you wouldn't know you needed in advance. Beyond that, they probably have to send data requests to operations. All of my interactions with support seem to imply this to be true.

The phrase "Chinese wall" is a term commonly used to describe the situation in a business where one part of the business doesn't share information with a different part of the business for certain reasons usually revolving around security or conflict of interest. The term has nothing to do with China per se, except being a round about reference to the Great Wall of China.

I once did an analysis of how certain rewards dropped in a game, and I had access to logs that were similar (but not identical) to the server logs. I ended up having to write a state engine parser for the log analysis, because individual log lines did not contain the information in question. A log line might say something like "item dropped' but not from what kind of reward container, and not what the player was doing or where the player was at the time. You had to actually read through the logs and keep track of when players entered and left instances, when they picked up and dropped things, and what they were doing in the prior moments of time to know under what context "item dropped" meant. And then I had to write even more code to understand that sometimes the logs glitched, and if I tried to keep perfect state across millions of log lines I'd eventually have the wrong state because of a single dropped line.

In effect, I had to recreate the game to figure out what the logs were trying to say about what was happening in the game. And there were tons of special case conditions. It is entirely possible a similar situation exists for MCOC. The logs might say that a player entered an event. And it might say they exited the event. But you probably wouldn't want to give compensation to someone that just entered and exited. You'd want to make sure they at least tried to fight something. But the logs might only say that they started fighting node 12. But the only way to know that was node 12 in the appropriate event would be to do a similar kind of state tracking of the logs. And then the only way to know how difficult or easy this is would be to see those logs. I don't think Kabam is going to be showing those to us any time soon.
    I have worked in it/software development for over 20 years, including at Microsoft and IBM. I have never once seen a situation where developers did not have a schema for the db, or even the log format for the output of the systems they created. Even if developers do not have access to the production servers (normal) does not mean they cannot create a tool that can extract data based on the systems they created, and even if they somehow, in this would, could not, the sysadmins that manage the system can. Even if they are all cloud they will have some devops engineers with access to those servers.

You dont need to have the identical logs to the server to be able to come up with the proper syntax for your tool, you just need to know the format of the logs/database.. What we know from the employees here is that support does have access to tools that can see what resources were used in what fight, they have directed players to support for a refund for just that reason telling them that support can see it. This counters your hypothetical.
  • Options

I still haven't beaten UC or even master thanos and have made my peace with it. But I can agree this compensation is very very wimpy. They need to give a lot more than 3 single revives. They gave better compensation for the last stand for crying out loud. Ik they can't go through everyone's account and refund them what they spent but I think people getting more than they put into it really isnt that big of a deal to make sure most people aren't getting totally screwed. Again I wouldn't benefit from this at all but even I can agree those people need something better for something that was kabams fault for not testing better.

those rewards were not for thanos, they were for havok. Thanos' rewards had a picture of cap hitting thanos, not the infinity stones.
  • Options
    AleorAleor Posts: 3,054 ★★★★★
    djr17 said:

Aleor said:

Aleor said:

Do you think that if something done on server, than it's difficult? Their servers are mostly a lot faster then your pc. And no reason to send it manually. Do you expect someone to press buttons with their hands to type in user nickname and his reward?
    Once again, they had issues like that a lot of times now, they should have action log now, and it would take just one pretty simple sql query to get list of users ids and number of items used. If they have decent logging. If they don't, it's only their fault
    Yes, they have had issues like this time and time again over the years. And in that time, as far as i can recall, they have never issued individualized compensation, so why would you expect them to start now?
    1 - I was just noting some dude above was wrong and it's easy to do
    2 - if you do wrong thing for a long time, it still remains a wrong thing to do. Making that thing right is a good thing to do
  • Options
    SDPSDP Posts: 1,622 ★★★★
    Didn’t we get like 700-800 units worth of compensation? And there’s still a month left in the event?

Seems solid to me. What are people expecting?

“So, uhh... I made some really poor decisions. Can I just have a do over?”
  • Options
    AleorAleor Posts: 3,054 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Lormif said:

Ace_03 said:

Lormif said:

Aleor said:

do
    fi

Actually it's ok to store data like that in a database. I guess with those micro offers they want that data anyway to make some analytics. Even if the data on one user is distributed between different servers because of whatever reasons, you still can use map reduce thing to merge it in one. Couple millions rows isn't too much even for my laptop
    Finally if they don't do it yet in a good and clean way, it looks like they can offer a job for some folks from the forum to do it
  • Options
    Kobster84Kobster84 Posts: 2,898 ★★★★★
    Just gotta wait for the compensation for the large amount of bugs
  • Options
    RapRap Posts: 3,194 ★★★★
    And frankly the 20 percent boost to gold, xp, and abilites they gave us for the 20th Marvel Movie franchise anniversary were better than this experience!
  • Options
    Dtl7714 said:

You mean like going back over a year and figuring out how much we wanted on there broken War Boosts. Like how much loyalty was spent on broken boosts. And how many crystals were opened with broken boosts. And how many boosts were used and returning that exact amount, which they did.

Yep, they have absolutely no way to go back and figure that stuff out.

They can, they just dont want to. I'm not debating if they should or shouldnt. But they can.
    to be fair going back and getting stats that are not linked to a player is insanely easier than getting data that is linked to the player.
  • Options
    Dtl7714Dtl7714 Posts: 467 ★★★
    edited May 2019
    And part of this problems comes from their refusal to acknowledge some bugs in a timely manner. You shouldnt find out there was a problem from a Bug fix release note. Cause obviously if it got fixed it was known and being worked on. If there is a known bug, announce it so people are warned and wont dump obsurd amounts of units and items into this.

Also if something is way above your skill level, dont try to buy your way through it. Hearing being dumped thousands of units defies common sense.

That is an additional problem in this game is the new players who have played this game for five minutes, have an awesome 5* roster. And havent developed any skill. And just buy there way through content
  • Options
    Dtl7714 said:

Also if something is way above your skill level, dont try to buy your way through it. Hearing being dumped thousands of units defies common sense.

This is the only thing I can disagree with, this is part of the game. pay to win or pay to win faster. It does not defy common sense that people would do it.

• Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,245 ★★★★★
    Lormif said:

Dtl7714 said:

You mean like going back over a year and figuring out how much we wanted on there broken War Boosts. Like how much loyalty was spent on broken boosts. And how many crystals were opened with broken boosts. And how many boosts were used and returning that exact amount, which they did.

They can, they just dont want to. I'm not debating if they should or shouldnt. But they can.
    to be fair going back and getting stats that are not linked to a player is insanely easier than getting data that is linked to the player.
    We're not debating whether they can examine the data. I said it was more effort. To be honest, this is getting unreasonable. They gave Compensation. People are going to complain no matter what. It's never enough. Sometimes it's just time to leave it alone. They can't help the fact that some used much more than others. It's a no-win situation.
  • Options
    Dtl7714Dtl7714 Posts: 467 ★★★
    edited May 2019
    Lormif said:

Dtl7714 said:

It was stats linked to a player. They reimbursed people exactly what they used on those broken boosts.

So it simply is a matter of wanting to. I was just debunking the myth that they cant
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,245 ★★★★★
    I meant to quote the other comment, not you. Guess I piggybacked. Lol.
This discussion has been closed.