Potential Delay to v44.1 Launch

We are currently working through some issues that may affect the release window of v44.1. This means that the update may not release on Monday as it usually does. We are working to resolve the issue holding us up as quickly as possible, but will keep you all updated, especially if the delay results in any changes to the content release schedule.
Options

Alliance War Matchmaking unfair [Merged Threads]

Comments

• Options
    QuikPikQuikPik Posts: 807 ★★★★
    edited April 2020
    This is my test alliance, we were beneficiaries of the old system.

There's no way in a fair system this alliance should be in tier 6 with that kind of war rating. Our current match is against an alliance at twice our prestige but our war rating is very close. That's how matches should be rather than the sub 3000 ones with as much as a 500 war rating difference we've gotten in the past.

We have no business being in tier 6 then again neither does the 6k prestige alliance we are facing.

Disclaimer: this is 1 BG wars

• Options
    Patchie93Patchie93 Posts: 1,898 ★★★★
    edited April 2020
    If war rating is the same/similar then the system is finally working properly
  • Options
    Agentk100Agentk100 Posts: 35
    It’s because matchmaking seems thankfully to only be based on war rating now
    There’s a good difference between your allies so I assume your doing 1 or 2 bg
  • Options
    MauledMauled Posts: 3,957 Guardian

Mauled said:

It looks like they’ve changed the matchmaking to only take war rating into account where before prestige was a huge factor. It’s going to be a bumpy couple of weeks but when it settles down you’re going to be fighting alliances who are
    A - whales but rubbish
    B - not whales but very good

If you’re at the top of the tree, most likely Whales who are very good, but then if you’re there chances are you’re also going to be a whale who’s very good.

Up until this point there have effectively been two seasons running parallel that I dubbed whale wars and baby wars. NoName fall into the baby category- low prestige, undoubtedly very good players but can’t kick it with the true giants. Now they’ve made it War rating only it’s going to let all the alliances fight each other and let the chips fall where they may but there will be no false war rating by the end of next season if this is permanent (assuming it’s probably take around 5-10 wars to start to level out).

did you forget about the whales that just hire mercs to play for them? ex. COWhale
    They’re going to stay at the top aren’t they as they’ll fall under whales but very good - even if it’s not them who are actually good. Bit of a sad existence though 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    You have more war rating then them makes sense
  • Options
    rock65xrock65x Posts: 25
    Our opponents had 27 6*s out of 2 BGs. A bunch of them R2.
  • Options

Mauled said:

It looks like they’ve changed the matchmaking to only take war rating into account where before prestige was a huge factor. It’s going to be a bumpy couple of weeks but when it settles down you’re going to be fighting alliances who are
    A - whales but rubbish
    B - not whales but very good

If you’re at the top of the tree, most likely Whales who are very good, but then if you’re there chances are you’re also going to be a whale who’s very good.

Up until this point there have effectively been two seasons running parallel that I dubbed whale wars and baby wars. NoName fall into the baby category- low prestige, undoubtedly very good players but can’t kick it with the true giants. Now they’ve made it War rating only it’s going to let all the alliances fight each other and let the chips fall where they may but there will be no false war rating by the end of next season if this is permanent (assuming it’s probably take around 5-10 wars to start to level out).

It will take more than a season to even out more than likely, especially with ratings frozen in off-season. Since they'll be matched with similarly rated alliances the rating loss per war won't be huge. It will take a while for alliances like NoName who I think are around 3400 to actually level out.
    I’d agree tbh, I think that they’re going to have to unfreeze war rating in off season or it’s going to take too long. Still sooner they start the sooner it levels out
  • Options
    AzKicker316AzKicker316 Posts: 2,294 ★★★★★
    The matchmaking is fine, you're not addressing the real issue here, alliances using shells during the season. Until kabam bans this activity, then this will go on forever.
  • Options
    SiliyoSiliyo Posts: 1,390 ★★★★★
    edited April 2020
    I mean you really can’t blame the alliance for doing this; this is almost a direct result of how war is - you’re putting more effort than what you’re gaining and it’s not really an enjoyable experience because the higher you go in the ladder, the more perfect the alliance has to be in terms of their performance. I mean, not a lot of people don’t want to deal with that stress for 16+ seasons.

On top of that, the rewards in Masters has been significantly reduced because of the nonexistent T2As. Put these two factors together and you have higher rated alliances lowering their rating to have a better time in war.
  • Options
    OnmixOnmix Posts: 508 ★★★
    And for those of you that are now getting ridiculously difficult matchups, remember that’s how others have felt the past 2 seasons.
    We were getting matched with very strong alliances just because we had high prestige and we had to use resources, boosts, etc to maintain a bracket in war that should’ve been way easier while you took better rewards than us.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    TP33 said:

Agentk100 said:

TP33 said:

Agentk100 said:

It’s because they have a similar war rating it’s a fair matchup unless it’s the case of they started a new ally and are climbing up in that scenario that’s just bad luck

But matchmaking should take more into account than war rating, taking into account rating and average member rating/prestige would probably fix all the problems currently in AW. Also for all of its stresses/BS the rewards aren’t really good enough
    That actually causes way more problems
    Prestige has been a factor in aw until very recently and it’s allowed low prestige allies to get into master/plat without facing any allies that actually belong there due to their low prestige
    Yes but if we put together prestige, war rating and rating together I don’t see much room for error. If I’m really honest they should just match up with the 2 ally’s above and below it in the leaderboard and then check if the rating difference is over 1/2 mil, after that pair the allies that are left with each other
    That’s what the old system very recently was and it allowed very low allies to go into master plat because they literally couldn’t matchup with the other master allies and therefore were winning pretty much every war
    I won’t lie it’ll be a bumpy ride for a lot of allies for this season but I’d say by next season most allies will be in their appropriate tier
  • Options
    AzKicker316AzKicker316 Posts: 2,294 ★★★★★
    Matchmaking is fine, it's not the system that's the issue. Matchmaking is based on war rating not who's actually in the alliance. The issue is with so many alliances playing the shell game. That is what's causing high end alliances with low ratings match up with legit lower rated alliances. This practice has not been deemed illegal, though something should be done to prevent it.
  • Options
    Has no one ever wondered why all of a sudden a consistent Gold 3 alliance jumps up to Gold 1? Yes you may have gotten better at war but it would take leaps and bounds in terms of skill level and roster to jump up 2 tiers.

You've been the benefactor of a change to match making after season 8 where you've only been getting matches against similar alliances without ever facing larger alliances that may have had the same war rating.
  • Options
    raffsterraffster Posts: 1,071 ★★★
    Matchmaking should have a useful, not useless, purpose.

• Options
    OnmixOnmix Posts: 508 ★★★
    QuikPik said:

Has no one ever wondered why all of a sudden a consistent Gold 3 alliance jumps up to Gold 1? Yes you may have gotten better at war but it would take leaps and bounds in terms of skill level and roster to jump up 2 tiers.

You've been the benefactor of a change to match making after season 8 where you've only been getting matches against similar alliances without ever facing larger alliances that may have had the same war rating.

Exactly. And how they feel now is how the rest of us have felt since then.
  • Options
    TP33TP33 Posts: 1,603 ★★★★
    Right, another long(ish) post today.

Today and today only we’ve seen what feels like 100s of complaints about AW matchmaking, people complaining about animations breaking, getting logged out in AW etc. All sorts. Something is wrong, it’s clear as day, so why aren’t you talking to us or telling us what’s happening? I mean come on, just a small, simple message saying ‘we’re looking into it’ or ‘it’s already known about’ would be fine but the fact that you haven’t responded to ANY of the threads about ANY of these issues is really disappointing. Usually you guys are OK about telling us these things so why the silence guys. Really, I’m just confused.
  • Options
    What I think that a lot of people are missing here in attributing blame to lower prestige alliances is that it’s not a conscious decision to keep their prestige down to benefit from this.

The big prestige alliances tend to keep together and will only recruit high prestige players because of AQ. Likewise the players that want to get the best AQ wars will prioritise high prestige rank ups so that they can get into these alliances. That is why there are two quite distinct sets of alliances here - those who push AQ and those who don’t. You’ll find that most of the alliances getting high tier AW rewards are running lower AQ because of a combination of either donations/time commitment or choosing between AQ and AW (like my alliance prioritise AW because it’s more fun, despite the worse rewards).
  • Options
    WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    Mauled said:

What I think that a lot of people are missing here in attributing blame to lower prestige alliances is that it’s not a conscious decision to keep their prestige down to benefit from this.

The big prestige alliances tend to keep together and will only recruit high prestige players because of AQ. Likewise the players that want to get the best AQ wars will prioritise high prestige rank ups so that they can get into these alliances. That is why there are two quite distinct sets of alliances here - those who push AQ and those who don’t. You’ll find that most of the alliances getting high tier AW rewards are running lower AQ because of a combination of either donations/time commitment or choosing between AQ and AW (like my alliance prioritise AW because it’s more fun, despite the worse rewards).

Even if you're not ranking solely for prestige, an alliance with a full group of R5 attackers and defenders is going to have a prestige rating over 10k
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    This similar to someone performing the same functions at work when all of a sudden they notice a large uptick in their pay check. Due to an accounting bug, anyone with under 2 years work experience compensation has been artificially inflated for a few months. Through no fault of their own but they don't say anything because who's going to complain about making more money for doing the same job. After a few months, the company realizes their mistake and reverts their pay back to it's original state.
  • Options
    CarwishCarwish Posts: 51
    The War matchmaking is seriously broken, but not for reasons that some are showing here. For us for example, War has very much become a useless activity. Our alliance rating is around 21 million. Our prestige is 7873. our war rating is 1426. We are in Silver 1, current placing in the 600s. We continue to get matched against teams relatively close to our alliance rating, which I suppose is good to make a war challenging. We win some, we loose some, it is usually pretty close... the alliance rating is actually a pretty good indicator of the alliances ability... but it is hard to make much headway. I don't even mind that. But what is infuriating is for me to see teams in Gold or Platinum that we could definately beat. We recently had someone join us for a short period, but his old alliance that he went back to is in Platinum 4 (They have an alliance rating over a million less than ours). I don't blame him for going back, but he also stated we are actually a strong team than his. The only reason why they are there is they had a strong group a long time ago, and were seeded high when this all started. They only had to contend to hold their spot, vs other teams at similar level. So how is it fair that a team in platinum 4, gets enought rewards for 1/2 6* and more than 1 5*, just basically for showing up. While we seem to be permanently stuck in Silver 1, with rewards being a small fraction of that from Platinum 4, but we are no worse than that team in Platinum 4. I look around at ratings of teams around us. at spot 508 (Random pick) of silver 1, there is a team with a rating of less than 5 mil (prestige 3589, war rating 1680). It would stand to reason that our team would easily beat them, but we never encounter a team that low... yet they are over a 100 spots above us. How is any of this in the least bit fair? those who started high, continue to stay there, those who started low, continue to stay there.
  • Options
    SeraphionSeraphion Posts: 1,496 ★★★★
    GOTG said:

The number of posts here only tell us one thing: the flawed matchmaking system has been used for so long that it creates a whole bunch of very weak alliances at high spots. They are not deserved to be there. They should be kicked out of high level wars. They should understand that they only got great rewards because Kabam made a mistake not because they are good enough.

Cry, cry. I love to hear your cry.

You are right. But try to see it from the other side. Not a lot of ppl knew how flawed the matchmaking was.

So ofc their first reaction is:

Woha what? This is so unfair.
    Give them time to understand.
  • Options
    JMRICJMRIC Posts: 3
    We got the same problem atm in ronin we were matched against a alliance Today that have too many 6 stars and we mostly have 4 to 5 stars it is really unfair.
  • Options
    Timone147Timone147 Posts: 1,276 ★★★★
    If you cant compete with everyone in your rewards tier than you don’t belong there. Also In order to be in a rewards tier you should be better than everyone in the rewards tier below you. Not just alliances of equal size below you.

This is why I think it should be purely based on war rating. You should be subject to wars against everyone in your rewards tier and near your war rating. Anything else is filtering out the hardest opponents to give you and easier path to rewards.

Truth is if this is a problem then you do not deserve the rewards you have been getting. If you cant have good odds to beat Every gold 1 alliance outside the rising ones you don’t deserve those rewards above gold 1. The matchmaking process should not make better rewards easier for weaker alliances.
  • Options
    SeraphionSeraphion Posts: 1,496 ★★★★
    Addyos said:

Seraphion said:

GOTG said:

The number of posts here only tell us one thing: the flawed matchmaking system has been used for so long that it creates a whole bunch of very weak alliances at high spots. They are not deserved to be there. They should be kicked out of high level wars. They should understand that they only got great rewards because Kabam made a mistake not because they are good enough.

You are right. But try to see it from the other side. Not a lot of ppl knew how flawed the matchmaking was.

So you mean to say that you
    - place in Platinum 1 for multiple seasons for example,
    - compare your alliance to those around you in the Platinum 1 leaderboard,
    - observe a noticeable difference in size and prestige between your alliance and the others around you on the Platinum 1 leaderboard,
    - hardly ever face these alliances during a season despite being on the same leaderboard,

and never saw anything wrong with that? Ok got it.
    Actuly I just understand that its broken 5 days ago when I saw a reddit post about it. Why would I go around and check other alliances in P1. Its annoying to do that in the app. Check on the leaderboard. Keep the name in mind (or tag) go to your alliance click on search. Put in the name etc. Thats why I ve never done that.

And we placed P1 the last 2 seasons. We increased our prestige the whole time. But do you know how hard it is to break 10k if you dont spend? Most of us are free to play. Or spend very low.
  • Options
    Seraphion said:

Addyos said:

Seraphion said:

GOTG said:

So you mean to say that you
    - place in Platinum 1 for multiple seasons for example,
    - compare your alliance to those around you in the Platinum 1 leaderboard,
    - observe a noticeable difference in size and prestige between your alliance and the others around you on the Platinum 1 leaderboard,
    - hardly ever face these alliances during a season despite being on the same leaderboard,

and never saw anything wrong with that? Ok got it.
    Actuly I just understand that its broken 5 days ago when I saw a reddit post about it. Why would I go around and check other alliances in P1. Its annoying to do that in the app. Check on the leaderboard. Keep the name in mind (or tag) go to your alliance click on search. Put in the name etc. Thats why I ve never done that.

And we placed P1 the last 2 seasons. We increased our prestige the whole time. But do you know how hard it is to break 10k if you dont spend? Most of us are free to play. Or spend very low.
    It definitely is not hard to break 10k right now especially if you're getting platinum level rewards. That's a whole 5 R5s at decent sig level don't even need them close to max sig
  • Options
    Most relevantchamps are over 10k at no more than sig 140. Getting 5 champs to that sig is definitely feasible f2p
This discussion has been closed.