**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Alliance War Season 19: Updates to Path Identities and New Nodes! [ June 30]

Comments

• GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,192 ★★★★★

This is really going nowhere. There's no point in saying it again. I'm not supporting ruining the Season for many people before it even starts, just so the system can "fix" itself. That's not going to change.

so you are advocating for a broken system to remain in place.
    so you are advocating for an unfair system to continue.
    Not at all. I provided solutions that would avoid the exact situation that's going to occur by shocking the system into submission. There are other solutions. The ONLY purpose this serves is giving people what they want during this whole Civil Unrest movement. When giving people what they want comes before what's actually best and not harmful, then I'm saying something.
    you kind of are, cus you are saying it should be left as it is rather than change it to this new implementation.

but
    please refresh my memory,
    please explain in detail the system you propose that fixes the matchmaking problems.
    how would alliances be split? how would leaderboards and reward structures work?
    i am all for a better system if there is something that works well.

IMO what kabam is doing will work well in a month or so, it just needs an adjustment period.
    I've already outlined it. Matchmaking isn't the issue. Not at all. The issue is the Rewards they end up with. You keep the Matches within a fair and doable range, using reasonable Prestige as it is now, in combination with War Rating. You then set limits for the Points people can earn based on Prestige Brackets, for example 8k Prestige can earn X limit of Points, which increase based on the Multiplier they earn. 10k Prestige can earn Y limit (more than X limit), and so on. People Rank based on the progress they make, with the same Multipliers and War Rating going up or down based on their Wins and Losses. An Alliance that is 5 Mil, as per the example in this Thread, will never make the same Bracket as the Alliance with 30 Mil, simply because they cannot earn the same Points. The end goal is the Matches stay fair, the Leaderboard doesn't result in out-of-place Alliances, Alliances progress as their Alliance grows in Prestige, and the issue is solved. If you're complaining that categorically Prestige shouldn't be a mechanic in the game, I'm afraid that ship has sailed.
    That's one idea. Another would be to wipe War Rating each Season, which is what I suggested back when I offered the whole idea on Seasons to begin with. I got it from Diablo 3. Each Season starts with new progress, and the final standings are based on Point A to Point B, during the duration of the Season.
  • Sensei_MaatSensei_Maat Posts: 396 ★★★

This is really going nowhere. There's no point in saying it again. I'm not supporting ruining the Season for many people before it even starts, just so the system can "fix" itself. That's not going to change.

Not at all. I provided solutions that would avoid the exact situation that's going to occur by shocking the system into submission. There are other solutions. The ONLY purpose this serves is giving people what they want during this whole Civil Unrest movement. When giving people what they want comes before what's actually best and not harmful, then I'm saying something.
    you kind of are, cus you are saying it should be left as it is rather than change it to this new implementation.

but
    please explain in detail the system you propose that fixes the matchmaking problems.
    how would alliances be split? how would leaderboards and reward structures work?

IMO what kabam is doing will work well in a month or so, it just needs an adjustment period.
    I've already outlined it. Matchmaking isn't the issue. Not at all. The issue is the Rewards they end up with. You keep the Matches within a fair and doable range, using reasonable Prestige as it is now, in combination with War Rating. You then set limits for the Points people can earn based on Prestige Brackets, for example 8k Prestige can earn X limit of Points, which increase based on the Multiplier they earn. 10k Prestige can earn Y limit (more than X limit), and so on. People Rank based on the progress they make, with the same Multipliers and War Rating going up or down based on their Wins and Losses. An Alliance that is 5 Mil, as per the example in this Thread, will never make the same Bracket as the Alliance with 30 Mil, simply because they cannot earn the same Points. The end goal is the Matches stay fair, the Leaderboard doesn't result in out-of-place Alliances, Alliances progress as their Alliance grows in Prestige, and the issue is solved. If you're complaining that categorically Prestige shouldn't be a mechanic in the game, I'm afraid that ship has sailed.
    funny you say that, if you read back through my posts here i have also suggested the exact same thing.

so stop sitting there saying i have no idea and i don't care when clearly i have stated the exact same things as you as alternative options.

but

funny you say that, if you read back through my posts here i have also suggested the exact same thing.

so stop sitting there saying i have no idea and i don't care when clearly i have stated the exact same things as you as alternative options.
    I've been suggesting that for a month now. If you agree, then I appreciate that.
    I'm not sure why you think I said you don't care. I said someone has to care. Meaning this has to be a priority. I don't think it's something that should be brushed off as something that has to happen.
    edited June 2020
    simply put its the same idea of people getting the same rewards for the same effort.

you are raving on about it here.
    but fail to see it there.

the fairness of the RNG in crystals will be balanced when they buff all the bad champs. and reduce the difference between top and bottom.

just as this system will balance War rewards.
    someone who has played for 6 months and has a 200k account does not deserve the same rewards from a war season as someone who has played for 5 years and has a 1.5 million account just because a bad system dictates easier matches to the noob and harder matches to the veteran.
    the same effort has not been put in. the veteran has clearly spent much time and effort building to the point of receiving greater rewards that the noob has yet to do.
  • DragonBloodÆDragonBloodÆ Posts: 28
    Now back on topic
    For alliance war nodes i have the same perspective as @DNA3000
    He did amazing job in addressing the issues in these 90% reduced damage node.
    How to fix it?
    Remove it completely
    Or
    Remove timers from match
    Or
    Increase the damage we dells to them aftrer they knock down by 300% not 40%.
    Or
    Just get done with aw its honestly the most frustrating piece of content besides act 6 now.
    They need a new mode that competition between allis becomes pvp not player vs defender they need to implement that feature where we can fight real players
    That will make it more fun imo.
  • Mr_PlatypusMr_Platypus Posts: 2,779 ★★★★★
    There was no chance of winning because prestige =/= skill, a simple concept you cannot grasp. If one group is gold 2 and another is platinum 3/2, even if prestige is identical, one group has already won, there’s no way around that, as they wouldn’t be platinum ranked by losing to gold 2 guys, there skill is vastly superior to ours, there defence, is likely vastly superior to ours.
    And this applies to all alliances, the ones you’re defending right now? Yeah they probably stomped all over many other groups while they climbed and sat in platinum, just because they were rated similarly doesn’t mean a little 10mil silver 1 alliance ever stood a chance against a 10mil platinum 4 alliance, to say otherwise is genuinely delusional.
  • ThecurlerThecurler Posts: 837 ★★★★
    Worth pointing out that within reason, anyone can beat anyone on the map below tier 5. The node boosts aren't that big.
    edited June 2020
    Thecurler said:

Worth pointing out that within reason, anyone can beat anyone on the map below tier 5. The node boosts aren't that big.

whislt the node boosts are not that big in comparative to above.
    firstly you are assuming a certain level of skill.

a 5 mil ally will not clear the defence of a 30mil ally with 0 deaths,
    while a 30mil ally will almost certainly clear the defence of a 5 mil ally with 0 deaths.
    c'mon man.
    there will be matches like this for some time.
    your talking as if your ally would would win a war in t6 with 0 deaths.
  • PulyamanPulyaman Posts: 2,365 ★★★★★

Pulyaman said:

I said someone has to care because I'm literally the only one speaking up for the people whose Season is going to be a slaughter because of Matches that are over before they start. That's why. If you're taking that personally, that's not on me. If you care too, speak up for it. That's about all I have to say on that. I don't just side with majorities for the sake of it. Something that isn't right is not right, regardless of the numbers.

You are literally the only one speaking up? Nice. Shows you only read your comments. lol
    Sorry. I know you agreed with me. You went silent. Lol. You're on the same page too.
    I was sleeping. lol. But, another thing is that there is no use arguing with someone who is not seeing the big picture. When someone says, someone has to suffer, you know they don't want fair. So, I will wait for the season to start because right now, all we do is rehash the same thing.
    Pulyaman said:

You can’t act like you care for everyone whilst saying what some of us went through for months is irrelevant yet here you are.

I am curious as to what exactly is it you went through? If it was extremely tough matches, you want to subject a lot of alliances to impossible matches.You would still get tough matches again I think.I would like to know your war rating and what war rating you faced last season, because as you said, since wars were not based on war rating and prestige, it should have been a huge difference for you guys to be so opposed to that system. It may help us understand your side better. Thanks
    you say "since wars were not based on war rating and prestige"
    but thats the exact thing,
    they were.
    they were based on war rating and prestige. from best gues around 50/50 you would always get someone kinda close war rating and prestige. if there was noone with a similar prestige in your rating it would expand the war rating range to find the right match.
    causing bubbles people were fighting within.
    now that will change and war rating will be the Primary factor with anything only providing a very small part. so it will find the best match it can at similar war rating. it won't continually expand war rating to find a close prestige match.

Thecurler said:

while a 30mil ally will almost certainly clear the defence of a 5 mil ally with 0 deaths.
    c'mon man.
    Looks like you chose to ignore the "within reason" part of my post then picked an extreme example that clearly isn't within reason.
    Thecurler said:

Thecurler said:

c'mon man.
    Looks like you chose to ignore the "within reason" part of my post then picked an extreme example that clearly isn't within reason.
    just depends on what you mean by within reason.
    i mean allies of these two strengths are likely currently sitting side by side in war rating so it is likely they will get matched if matching is primarily war rating.
    obviously only in the interim while things balance out and people fall to where they belong.

but i chose to interpret within reason as potentially likely to happen, as i deem that as a fair metric.

Pulyaman said:

You can’t act like you care for everyone whilst saying what some of us went through for months is irrelevant yet here you are.

I am curious as to what exactly is it you went through? If it was extremely tough matches, you want to subject a lot of alliances to impossible matches.You would still get tough matches again I think.I would like to know your war rating and what war rating you faced last season, because as you said, since wars were not based on war rating and prestige, it should have been a huge difference for you guys to be so opposed to that system. It may help us understand your side better. Thanks
    they were.
    they were based on war rating and prestige. from best gues around 50/50 you would always get someone kinda close war rating and prestige. if there was noone with a similar prestige in your rating it would expand the war rating range to find the right match.
    now that will change and war rating will be the Primary factor with anything only providing a very small part. so it will find the best match it can at similar war rating. it won't continually expand war rating to find a close prestige match.
    But, you don't know for sure that was how it was done. People were earlier saying it was purely based on prestige and alliance rating, but now you are saying it was based on war rating and prestige. Let us assume what you are saying is true, then even now, it will first try in war rating, if it cannot find in the same war rating, whether it will try a higher or lower war rating, which will result in people moaning again about unfair matches.
    edited June 2020
    Pulyaman said:

Pulyaman said:

Pulyaman said:

I said someone has to care because I'm literally the only one speaking up for the people whose Season is going to be a slaughter because of Matches that are over before they start. That's why. If you're taking that personally, that's not on me. If you care too, speak up for it. That's about all I have to say on that. I don't just side with majorities for the sake of it. Something that isn't right is not right, regardless of the numbers.

You are literally the only one speaking up? Nice. Shows you only read your comments. lol
    Sorry. I know you agreed with me. You went silent. Lol. You're on the same page too.
    I was sleeping. lol. But, another thing is that there is no use arguing with someone who is not seeing the big picture. When someone says, someone has to suffer, you know they don't want fair. So, I will wait for the season to start because right now, all we do is rehash the same thing.
    Let’s not act like grounded is seeing it from anyone’s POV but his own, I gave examples of the unfair system we’ve just moved on from and he acts like that’s perfectly fair.
    But I agree, let’s wait for the changes to come into play, let kabam collect their data and I’m sure it’ll be fairer for everyone in the long run.
    The halved war ratings likely means it’ll get resolved quickly, and we don’t even know what the exact matchmaking formula is, other than it taking war rating into account primarily which it always should’ve done, it’s possible it won’t allow the absurd mismatches anyways and let those that climbed far higher than they should’ve down gently.
    You did not give an answer regarding your war rating and the matches where you were matched in prestige, but huge difference in war rating last season.
    I’ve given examples multiple times from season 16 and 17 where we had the issues. Season just gone myself and a few of the new guys hard carried the entire alliance, that and some of the others skill finally caught up to our prestige, but we still shouldn’t have faced the platinum alliances repeatedly throughout the others seasons so that we dropped 400-500 rating in the first place.

Mine was simply an example of it not just affecting the top alliances.
    It doesn’t change the fact that war rating based matchmaking is far superior to prestige based. It sucks that it’ll negatively affect some that climbed so high under the old system but the system must be changed to result in a system that will be fair for all.
    edited June 2020
    Pulyaman said:

Pulyaman said:

they were.
    But, you don't know for sure that was how it was done. People were earlier saying it was purely based on prestige and alliance rating, but now you are saying it was based on war rating and prestige. Let us assume what you are saying is true, then even now, it will first try in war rating, if it cannot find in the same war rating, whether it will try a higher or lower war rating, which will result in people moaning again about unfair matches.
    noone who has any idea has ever said it was based on alliance rating and prestige only.
    War rating has always been a factor.
    the question has only ever been how much.
    infact people used to say it was only WR and not alliance rating, until they were proven to be wrong.
    it does seem at a few points kabam has changed the algorithm with varying results. with this current iteration being the worst.
    but prior to seasons it did not matter that people were fighting only similar Alliance rating becuase they were not being ranked and rewarded on an overall leaderboard.

yes you are right i do not know for sure but i have collected much data, done many analysis of matchmaking across multiple alliances i have been in at the same time.
    my results are this.

WR - all matches i have collected data on have been within 200 points of each other. regardless of alliance rating or war rating. normally it was well within 100 but the furtherest i personally collected was 200 difference
    Alliance rating -
    2mil alliance always matched 1.5mil. to 3mil
    7mil alliance always matched 5-10 mil
    15mil alliance always matched 12mil to 17mil
    24mil alliance always matched 22mil to 27mil.
    so yes i do not know for sure but all my research and extensive study shows that you were always matched to an alliance close to your WR within a certain range of alliance rating. creating bubbles and bracketed systems. my data collection on this goes back over 2 years.
    it should be war rating and if there is a big difference in alliance rating then so be it.
    small alliances really do not belong up top with the big allies.
    and any big allies in the lower brackets will be only there temporarily as they are moving up.

War is a competition. Every alliance should potentially have to fight every alliance. We are seasons deep now. Alliances have established themselves. The recent system was rewarding smaller alliances with only fighting smaller alliances. The actual competition was being lost in favor of everyone gets a trophy. From how this reads, we go back to may the best alliance win, many will climb, many will fall, but in the end you will be where you actually belong.

The nodes and hidden fights are the issue here. Stop running in circles trying to argue with people who know they will stink because they know they can not compete

This is true but seems like everyone is in agreement with the nodes and hidden fights, they're awful and will make war even worse than it is now.

Kabam have had enough feedback on war in it's current state and this is what they have come up with. It looks like there is zero chance we'll get something positive.

Pulyaman said:

Pulyaman said:

Pulyaman said:

Let’s not act like grounded is seeing it from anyone’s POV but his own, I gave examples of the unfair system we’ve just moved on from and he acts like that’s perfectly fair.
    But I agree, let’s wait for the changes to come into play, let kabam collect their data and I’m sure it’ll be fairer for everyone in the long run.
    The halved war ratings likely means it’ll get resolved quickly, and we don’t even know what the exact matchmaking formula is, other than it taking war rating into account primarily which it always should’ve done, it’s possible it won’t allow the absurd mismatches anyways and let those that climbed far higher than they should’ve down gently.
    You did not give an answer regarding your war rating and the matches where you were matched in prestige, but huge difference in war rating last season.
    I’ve given examples multiple times from season 16 and 17 where we had the issues. Season just gone myself and a few of the new guys hard carried the entire alliance, that and some of the others skill finally caught up to our prestige, but we still shouldn’t have faced the platinum alliances repeatedly throughout the others seasons so that we dropped 400-500 rating in the first place.

It doesn’t change the fact that war rating based matchmaking is far superior to prestige based. It sucks that it’ll negatively affect some that climbed so high under the old system but the system must be changed to result in a system that will be fair for all.
    I am in a plat 4 alliance and our prestige is just below 10k. We play in tier 4 and we placed 451 overall. So, I can say we are in top 500 alliances. I have faced only once a war match where we could not win even after iteming out. Even in that match, our war rating was not too different.
    I only want one thing. If as you say, you faced such difficult matches, I request you to please share a screenshot of that match along with the war rating and prestige of both your alliances.
  • MasterpuffMasterpuff Posts: 6,463 ★★★★★
    This looks no better. There are so many opportunities for horrible placement. However this is better. A start- and any node that has “90% less” is bs, so maybe stop doing them?

This looks no better. There are so many opportunities for horrible placement. However this is better. A start- and any node that has “90% less” is bs, so maybe stop doing them?

Or have it as “90% less” but completing the specific objective gives you a double damage as well as some other bonus for example
    The knockdown node - give attackers an ‘x’ seconds true strike buff to ignore armour, autoblock and autoevade as well as double damage after knocking them down.

The intercept node - attackers get a ‘x’ second unstoppable and stun immunity upon a successful intercept.

Now I’ll admit these thing seem OP in current state but I’m just throwing some ideas out there.

Pulyaman said:

Pulyaman said:

Pulyaman said:

Pulyaman said:

I am in a plat 4 alliance and our prestige is just below 10k. We play in tier 4 and we placed 451 overall. So, I can say we are in top 500 alliances. I have faced only once a war match where we could not win even after iteming out. Even in that match, our war rating was not too different.
    I only want one thing. If as you say, you faced such difficult matches, I request you to please share a screenshot of that match along with the war rating and prestige of both your alliances.
    war history only goes back 25 days right so what you’re requesting is impossible...
    What I did find going through this past month’s matchups is that every single opponent was +/-100 prestige points of us, even as we climbed up 300 war rating throughout the season which shows it’s pulling all our opponents from a specific pool rather than literally anyone that’s within the war rating limits as it should be imo.

Of course the exact matchmaking parameters have likely been altered over the past few seasons, hence why NoName aren’t undeservedly coming in the top 3 anymore.

But It’s clear none of us are going to change each other’s mind, I’m confident matchmaking will be better for all after some brief growing pains and you appear to not want this change because of the growing pains.
    So whether you believe my story or not is upto you but I’m gonna give it a rest now and focus on the more concerning areas of season 19, the new nodes and the decision to make 6 minibosses hidden.
    I was not looking for an argument just wanted to know from your perspective, if you don't have the war detail, its fine. Cheers
  • cookiedealercookiedealer Posts: 260 ★★
    PirateJon said:

Just get rid of the hidden nodes. Now multiple players have to run scouter lense

It also causes players to have to bring in more diverse rosters.

If Kabam keeps mastery switching cost, then it'll also be potentially a unit "tax" on multiple people on hidden node paths running scouter lens. Or else a random void, imiw, mojo, havok, doom, etc. will possibly ruin ones attack team.
  • cookiedealercookiedealer Posts: 260 ★★
    RC51 said:

@Kabam Miike, some issues w/ linked nodes:

Makes sense:
    10/11/12 links to 19
    13/14/15 links to 20
    16/17/18 links to 21

Makes no sense:
    36,37,38 links to 45
    39,40,41 links to 46
    42,43,44 links to 47
    49,52,53 links to the Boss

52 looks like the boss node.

I mocked up a more straight-forward map than the off-kilter one y'all like to use. This is without any links visible since the last four you listed were confusing.

And are 39, 46, and 47 Hidden? Because 45, 46, and 47 being hidden doesn't make sense, according to the original map you posted.

Looks like now all bg's will have to wait for all/most the lower sections to cleared at the halfway point (for those who have a counter for each middle miniboss), since the two middle minibosses have to be beaten consecutively to move on (compared to only one middle miniboss was needed to be taken down to move on).
  • OnmixOnmix Posts: 508 ★★★
    Pulyaman said:

Pulyaman said:

Pulyaman said:

Please take a look in this thread. You’ll see plenty of examples of how it worked.

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/193114/alliance-war-matchmaking-unfair-merged-threads

Rewards weren’t the ONLY issue with that matchmaking.
    We were ridiculously outmatched in many wars. We had to use a looot of items while only going boss kill to earn the most points possible to not drop more than 1 bracket/tier. Just going boss kill was difficult.
    Many wars (as you who defend this say) we didn’t even need to wait for the other alliance to start playing. We went boss kill directly because we knew it would be a bloodbath even like that (let alone full exploration). This went on for seasons.

That’s what we went through.
    We know how this alliances will feel. But we also know, with this change, no alliance will ever have to feel that again.
    You couldn't have been that overpowered if the power of said Alliances were within range of each other. Going directly to the Boss is a choice. The fact is, there was a chance to win. What this will lead to is literally NO way to win. Absolutely no way.
    edited June 2020
    When an Alliance is matched with another 2 and 3 times its size that's over before it starts.