**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

Why Iceman isn’t coldsnap immune Etc

Comments

• _Kill_Switch__Kill_Switch_ Posts: 270 ★★
    Why isn’t Iceman Coldsnap immune?

I saw this before somewhere but Iceman REDUCES ENERGY AROUND HIM. If the energy around him is further reduced he cannot counter that. If anything Iceman should be VULNERABLE to coldsnap as he’s already low on energy. I mean giving him a coldsnap might just reduce temperatures to sub-zero. Applying physics the particles inside Iceman would have do little energy that he probably wouldn’t be able to move.

How does Sabretooth get around this?
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,649 Guardian

Mauled said:

I mean, applying physics to superpowers is a slippery slope to madness. It’s a bit like applying physics to Harry Potter or wondering why Frodo didn’t just take the Eagles to Mordor.

The whole point of the ring being given to a hobbit was so the power didn’t corrupt him, it would have corrupted the eagles. The ring corrupted Sauron, Isildur and boromir because they had power, it would have corrupted the even more powerful eagles but couldn’t corrupt a hobbit as easily, as they have less power.
    The One Ring didn't corrupt Sauron, Sauron created the One Ring and it contained part of his essence. It was like a Horcrux from Harry Potter in that regard. It corrupts anyone else who wears it because that's Sauron's thing. Sauron is actually a sort of lesser fallen angel in the LOTR mythology, like if the Devil had an apprentice like the Sith. When the LOTR Devil rebelled and was kicked to the curb, that left Sauron in Middle Earth to do his own thing.

Sauron's strength is deception. He is a master of disguise, and he can bend the will of others to do his bidding. The One Ring is like him: it is constantly tempting its wearers into believing that possessing it will make them powerful, because it wants to eventually bring itself to the attention of Sauron himself and that's just how the Ring tries to do that.

The One Ring doesn't actually "corrupt" wearers exactly. It knows what you value most, and tricks you into thinking that it can give that to you. Gandalf believes a Hobbit is the best choice for ring bearer because Hobbits don't really want much, even in their deepest desires, compared to other beings. They can resist the ring longer because there's less desire for the Ring to grab onto. Gollum is actually a good example of the Ring's lack of power on Hobbits. It drives men to conquer, it tempted Galadriel with being a powerful elven queen, but there was so little to tempt Gollum with that the Ring could only cause Gollum to desire the Ring itself, which became very counter-productive to the Ring's ultimate goal to rejoin Sauron.

The reason why the Hobbits can't just fly first class to Mount Doom on the Eagles is because in LOTR the Eagles are not giant birds. They are actually messengers of Eru, the god of the LOTR cosmos. Just like in the Bible, God can solve everything himself or by having his Angels do it, but he generally wants the world to solve its own problems with just a little help. Eru sends the Wizards like Gandalf to guide the mortals (and the Elves, sort of mortal sort of not) to defeat Sauron, because he wants them to rise to the challenge. So he doesn't just send the Eagles to make it easy. They rescue the hobbits because once the One Ring is destroyed Sauron is also destroyed, and the war of the ring is over. At that point he's just being nice about it.

Ghost Rider isn’t incinerate immune because he’s not on actual fire. As stated above, it’s Hellfire, which isn’t actual fire.

There’s a difference.

That said, Ghost Rider IS impervious to earthly fires and extreme heat.
  • TP33TP33 Posts: 1,593 ★★★★
    @_Kill_Switch_ Sabretooth has a very thick fur coat. Very warm
  • Pancake_FacePancake_Face Posts: 1,390 ★★★★
    tidusx2jr said:

Folks have a lot of time on their hands. Yeesh

well we do have a virus going around and if u dont feel safe going anywhere u have limited stuff to do

Ghost Rider isn’t incinerate immune because he’s not on actual fire. As stated above, it’s Hellfire, which isn’t actual fire.

There’s a difference.

Well, he's also impervious to basically everything else.
  • Hammerbro_64Hammerbro_64 Posts: 7,463 ★★★★★

What were we talking about again?

No clue. Something about why ice shouldn’t be cold.
  • MathgeekMathgeek Posts: 609 ★★★
    I should probably start reading the lord of the rings
  • LibertyPrimeV1LibertyPrimeV1 Posts: 4,179 ★★★★★
    edited June 2020
    TP33 said:

@LibertyPrimeV1 @SpideyFunko i know it’s hellfire and it’s different but come on. I’m trying to crack this with physics. I’m not going to take into account the laws of the mystic arts. As far as I’m concerned it’s an energy source requiring a fuel (souls), heat and probably oxygen, I’m going to treat it like fire

Yeah applying Physics Logic to a Universe where a person can die, have their body on the ground sometimes torn or blown apart, but then come back to life having that body either form back together and get up or an entirely new body is created for the person out of Nothing as they walk through a "Portal between the afterlife and that living world" isn't going to end well. Also Ghost Rider's Hellfire (and Dormammu's Entire Body for that matter) are not just Magic but also from a Separate Dimension that we have no clue how similar or different it is to our own.
    GR's Hellfire very much may or may not need Oxygen to be ignited since, while it Looks similar to our Fire, it's make-up may be entirely different on the most minor or major of levels. Also while Hellfire does Produce Light, I definitely remember in a comic an off hand comment was made that Hellfire actually doesn't produce Any Heat so it may not need Oxygen to continue being ignited.
    DNA3000 said:

There’s a difference.

DNA3000 said:

There’s a difference.

I'm speaking specifically to fire. Obviously you cannot apply his immortality to game mechanics but an immunity relating to the source/element of his power or biology is not asking too much imo eg. the Hulks & poison.
    edited June 2020
    @LibertyPrimeV1 thanks for the clarification. I’m not a big believer in these mystic arts but I guess if hellfire doesn’t need oxygen to burn or heat for that matter (No pun intended)then I guess it’s not fire? But then how can it be an energy source. I know that this is a fictional universe and so laws of physics don’t apply. But then again there must be some physical/scientific laws that dictate actions in the battlerealm. I mean most of this stuff isn’t even advanced. All I’m assuming is that within the universe objects are made of particles and these have energy. I mean Ghost QUANTUM PHASES! That’s definitive proof that quantum physics applies here. I might try to figure out the physics of the battlerealm after this. I need a project.
    edited June 2020
    TP33 said:

@LibertyPrimeV1 thanks for the clarification. I’m not a big believer in these mystic arts but I guess if hellfire doesn’t need oxygen to burn or heat for that matter (No pun intended)then I guess it’s not fire? But then how can it be an energy source. I know that this is a fictional universe and so laws of physics don’t apply. But then again there must be some physical/scientific laws that dictate actions in the battlerealm. I mean most of this stuff isn’t even advanced. All I’m assuming is that within the universe objects are made of particles and these have energy. I mean Ghost QUANTUM PHASES! That’s definitive proof that quantum physics applies here. I might try to figure out the physics of the battlerealm after this. I need a project.

Thing is there's several different marvel universes and they all work different, since there's no Ghost Rider in the MCU yet (which is probably the most grounded in reality universe) we can't say for sure what doesn't and does work like our Universe.

Like in the Comics there's apparently a Dimension filled with nothing but INFINITE Concussive Energy that Cyclops' Eyes are the only Portals to, and somehow his Body and his Brothers' Bodies are Fully immune to it's Effects even through it's apparently Limitless.

(Also can't say much for Ghost because I don't know much about the Character but apparently they work very different in the Movies compared to the Comic Counterpart, according to what I've been told)
    @LibertyPrimeV1 there is a GR in the MCU he’s in the agents of shield TV show which takes place within the same universe
    TP33 said:

@LibertyPrimeV1 there is a GR in the MCU he’s in the agents of shield TV show which takes place within the same universe

It's been really nebulous as to if they are in the same exact universe or just a universe that is similar the the MCU but still separate, main problem is a few conflicting characters that have the same actors.
    edited June 2020

TP33 said:

It's been really nebulous as to if they are in the same exact universe or just a universe that is similar the the MCU but still separate, main problem is a few conflicting characters that have the same actors.
    They’ve referenced the battle of New York and the Sokovia accords multiple times. Pretty sure it’s the MCU. Same with Luke cage. First episode of the Defenders and there’s a street vendor selling footage of the battle of New York. LC is tied with DD and IF so that’s pretty much definitive
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,797 ★★★★★

TP33 said:

as someone who watches the show, (and loves it) it’s in the MCU.

Nick Fury, Sif, and Coulson are all in the show. The Avengers are named dropped, they mention the Sokovia Accords, New York, and a lot of other stuff.

It’s canon
  • DPXFistheGOATDPXFistheGOAT Posts: 727 ★★★
    edited June 2020
    This is a game where a block of human ice can fight a girl who commands a squirrel army, a magical blob who feeds off emojis(?), robots cosplaying as bobbleheads, and a telepathic space squid who doesnt do any magic but is apparently a mystic. And all these guys do less damage than an injured Samuel L. Jackson with a pistol

I would be surprised if real world physics DID make sense.

This is a game where a block of human ice can fight a girl who commands a squirrel army, a magical blob who feeds off emojis(?), robots cosplaying as bobbleheads, and a telepathic space squid who doesnt do any magic but is apparently a mystic. And all these guys do less damage than an injured Samuel L. Jackson with a pistol

I would be surprised if real world physics DID make sense.

he controls metal wdym doesn’t do magic
    TP33 said:

TP33 said:

They’ve referenced the battle of New York and the Sokovia accords multiple times. Pretty sure it’s the MCU. Same with Luke cage. First episode of the Defenders and there’s a street vendor selling footage of the battle of New York. LC is tied with DD and IF so that’s pretty much definitive
    It could still be a Universe that is Very Similar but not the Same, till they actually crossover on both ends we can't say for sure.

TP33 said:

TP33 said:

It could still be a Universe that is Very Similar but not the Same, till they actually crossover on both ends we can't say for sure.
    bruh AOS literally had Nick Fury post Winter Soldier, Hydra being inside of SHIELD, Sif after Dark World, the Sokovia Accords were on the show, Maria Hill when she works for Stark, they brought up Loki’s Scepter, the Helicarrier from Age of Ultron was from Coulson, the guy from Thor and Avengers whose one of the main characters on this show!

You can be very sure.
  • StellarStellar Posts: 1,069 ★★★★
    Old subject....

if it re-appears again and again , maybe kabam should take it, explain the why of their decision. If it happen their decision is justified, close the subject (and all incoming ones), if it happens they made a mistake on some champions immunity, decide how they will rectify their error !

As for me, it's hard to accept the fact that a man "made of ice" could take damage from cold.... at the minimum ice man should be immune to cold snap and frostbite. at the maximum, cold snap and frost bite should allow him to instantly reform his armor ;)

As for Ghost Rider and Dormammu, well they are essentially using mystic fire (hellfire as some pointed out) so having them not immune to "normal fire" is acceptable.

Applying physics law to some fictional comic universe is somewhat strange... but just some common sense should be enough .
  • Giodood_1Giodood_1 Posts: 388 ★★★
    class dismissed
  • MathgeekMathgeek Posts: 609 ★★★
    Giodood_1 said:

class dismissed

Recess!
    Mathgeek said:

Giodood_1 said:

class dismissed

Recess!
    i mess recess
    Stellar said:

Old subject....

if it re-appears again and again , maybe kabam should take it, explain the why of their decision. If it happen their decision is justified, close the subject (and all incoming ones), if it happens they made a mistake on some champions immunity, decide how they will rectify their error !

As for me, it's hard to accept the fact that a man "made of ice" could take damage from cold.... at the minimum ice man should be immune to cold snap and frostbite. at the maximum, cold snap and frost bite should allow him to instantly reform his armor ;)

As for Ghost Rider and Dormammu, well they are essentially using mystic fire (hellfire as some pointed out) so having them not immune to "normal fire" is acceptable.

Applying physics law to some fictional comic universe is somewhat strange... but just some common sense should be enough .

If we shouldn't apply physics laws to fictional comic universes, on what basis are you saying Iceman should be immune to frost bite and cold snap? On what basis are you saying that the way frost bite and cold snap damages things is only by making them cold? Aren't these physics extrapolations? Shouldn't we just say cold snap is a comic book effect, and we shouldn't try to understand how comic book effects work, so when the game says cold snap deals energy damage, that's it?
  • StellarStellar Posts: 1,069 ★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Stellar said:

Old subject....

If we shouldn't apply physics laws to fictional comic universes, on what basis are you saying Iceman should be immune to frost bite and cold snap? On what basis are you saying that the way frost bite and cold snap damages things is only by making them cold? Aren't these physics extrapolations? Shouldn't we just say cold snap is a comic book effect, and we shouldn't try to understand how comic book effects work, so when the game says cold snap deals energy damage, that's it?
    on what basis ? common sense ;)
    No need to applys physics law to acknowledge the fact that something made of ice should take no damage from ice or cold.
    Like something made of fire will take no damage from fire or heat
    It is as simple as that.
  • AouxWouxAouxWoux Posts: 426 ★★★
    Bold of you guys to assume this game follows real life physics.
    AouxWoux said:

Bold of you guys to assume this game follows real life physics.

I’m trying to figure this out now. We know gravity applies but I’m going to make a thread about the laws of physics in the battlerealm. Or at least try
  • CaptainPollCaptainPoll Posts: 901 ★★★
    I apreciate effort you put into writting this all