**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Regarding the new difficulty

I know people have valid points as to why it is restricted to level 60 for entry. However I find it a bit unfair due to the fact that a player, not even uc could farm xp from act 4 and get there with little skill or roster development. As a player who is cavalier and reached 6.2.6 at lvl 54 I think that anyone who has achieved cavalier through skill and a developed roster should be allowed entry. This is made to help create the full event quest designated for cavalier players after all. Just my opinion.

Comments

• Miike explains here that sode events are usually level locked while the actual event quests are the ones that are only progression locked https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/205461/level-requirement#latest
  • BendyBendy Posts: 3,373 ★★★★★
    I find that people rushing for this new content is because long term players at 60 been asking for it and to help progress there 6s r2s unlike say for ur roster it might not have 6s at r2 or even close as ur only that level u might gotten lucky to pass sinister boss but people find it unfair for level 50 due to the rare catalysts being open im one of those who hate players at level 50 rushing as ive been wanting a new difficulty for a while and people who just turned cavalier probs hasnt had much uncollected nodes to think if cavalier if in eq possible for u lot as u rushed instead of actually developing doesnt mean its bad but trying to rush for resources u dont need wont really help long run for u than to others who actually need it
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    People rushing through the game and getting cavalier is one of the main reasons Act 6 is getting gutted so kinda hard to care about this one for me
  • Cornflake04Cornflake04 Posts: 26

Miike explains here that sode events are usually level locked while the actual event quests are the ones that are only progression locked https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/205461/level-requirement#latest

Hadn't come across this, thanks. Didn't intend to create a duplicate thread.

• DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian

People rushing through the game and getting cavalier is one of the main reasons Act 6 is getting gutted so kinda hard to care about this one for me

Is that why its happening? News to me.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,016 ★★★★★

I know people have valid points as to why it is restricted to level 60 for entry. However I find it a bit unfair due to the fact that a player, not even uc could farm xp from act 4 and get there with little skill or roster development. As a player who is cavalier and reached 6.2.6 at lvl 54 I think that anyone who has achieved cavalier through skill and a developed roster should be allowed entry. This is made to help create the full event quest designated for cavalier players after all. Just my opinion.

Someone is always going to be excluded. As a progressing player, you are missing out on rewards that can help you. This is whats so wrong with pay to progress type players. You bulldoze your way through content and yet you want everything else that others have. Once Cav is introduced it goes to the EQ tab where each one of those are locked behind levels. You are 6 levels to level 60. Pop some 50% xp boosts and get to level 60. This quest isn't Cavalier difficulty so that title means nothing for it.
  • H3t3rH3t3r Posts: 2,879 Guardian
    Do people not 100% the previous act before moving on to the next one? Just me okay
  • H3t3r said:

Do people not 100% the previous act before moving on to the next one? Just me okay

I know i didn't. I got cav before 100% act 5. Then after act 5 I 100% act 4.
    DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

You don't think that's the reason people have so much trouble with act 6? New players are able to progress WAY faster and WAY easier so they don't have to develop the skills, and when there's tough content they get stopped.
    It might be the reason many people have difficulty completing Act 6, but if I thought there was no other legitimate reason to tune down Act 6 difficulty I wouldn't have spent quite a bit of time articulating a specific objective reason to tune Act 6 difficulty downward. In precisely the way the devs have stated they intend to.
    Well honestly, your whole tuned for 8*s trope is utter nonsense as far as I'm concerned. I agree with quite a lot of your opinions and even most of what I disagree with still at least makes sense to me.

That however, is just silly. Basically assuming that there's anyone that's been playing the game long enough to actually get into Act 6 (if they actually finish all the previous content especially) and can't beat a fight until they basically have the same stats as the opponent is ridiculous. You even go up against higher rated opponents in arena and people basically sleep through that. Toss some nodes on top of a similar matchup and that's what it takes for people to beat it? Come on.

H3t3r said:

Just look at all the complaints about there being a level cap on a flipping side event that's going to be tuned for "cavalier" players. Between the glory store, purchasable offers, increased 5* shards, etc.. people fly all the way through Act 5 with one or two good 5*s at R4 and R5 and then flip out when they get to Act 6 and don't have the same PI as opponents and need more than 2 champs
  • danielmathdanielmath Posts: 4,045 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

You don't think that's the reason people have so much trouble with act 6? New players are able to progress WAY faster and WAY easier so they don't have to develop the skills, and when there's tough content they get stopped.
    It might be the reason many people have difficulty completing Act 6, but if I thought there was no other legitimate reason to tune down Act 6 difficulty I wouldn't have spent quite a bit of time articulating a specific objective reason to tune Act 6 difficulty downward. In precisely the way the devs have stated they intend to.
    But the question for me is WHY are people having so much trouble with act 6? And to me, the answer is because of what i said. Players who started a year or 2 ago get great 5* right away, and blow through act 4, act 5, masters, uncollected with ease. They never have to develop any skills, because their roster are so superior to the content they are playing. I couldn't clear masters for months and months when i started playing, because my skill and roster weren't good enough. Now if someone starts, i'd expect anyone to be able to clear master mode by their 2nd month simply due to an overpowered roster.

DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

Well honestly, your whole tuned for 8*s trope is utter nonsense as far as I'm concerned. I agree with quite a lot of your opinions and even most of what I disagree with still at least makes sense to me.

That however, is just silly. Basically assuming that there's anyone that's been playing the game long enough to actually get into Act 6 (if they actually finish all the previous content especially) and can't beat a fight until they basically have the same stats as the opponent is ridiculous. You even go up against higher rated opponents in arena and people basically sleep through that. Toss some nodes on top of a similar matchup and that's what it takes for people to beat it? Come on.

The article doesn't say that Act 6 is tuned for 8* champs. It also doesn't say people should expect to only have fights with champs that have the same stats. There are actual numbers and calculations that directly contradict that assertion.

DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

But the question for me is WHY are people having so much trouble with act 6? And to me, the answer is because of what i said. Players who started a year or 2 ago get great 5* right away, and blow through act 4, act 5, masters, uncollected with ease. They never have to develop any skills, because their roster are so superior to the content they are playing. I couldn't clear masters for months and months when i started playing, because my skill and roster weren't good enough. Now if someone starts, i'd expect anyone to be able to clear master mode by their 2nd month simply due to an overpowered roster.
    That's not the question for me. The question for me is what should Act 6's difficulty be tuned to, if you had no idea how easy or hard people were claiming it to be. After all, a designer doesn't get to use a time machine to design content. There has to be a difficulty target that is set before anyone runs the content. Using perceptions and anecdotes to decide difficulty on their own is worthless, because not everyone who finds content difficult necessarily should be the basis for how we tune content. My analysis completely ignores everyone who says it is difficult, and for that matter everyone who says it is easy. It instead asks what should Act 6 difficulty have been, if it had been targeted at the kinds of people it should have been, basing that judgment on the performance of players on past content and extrapolating forward.

It also ignores "why" difficulty is difficult, because if you decide you're going to be the arbiter of who's difficulty complaints are legitimate and whose are not on personal judgment, you've left the realm of useful analysis.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,242 ★★★★★
    I have to agree with DNA in that there was a valid concern behind the adjustments of Act 6 that wasn't just the result of people advancing too fast. Not specifically, anyway. However, it does relate to it. People are progressing faster than their Accounts are developing, and that means they are thrown off by other markers of progress. Had the game consisted of how far you complete in Story alone, it would be understandable. The game consists of a variety of areas, and there are more measures of progress than the Titles and Story progression. Those measures come over time, with sufficient effort. Rosters are one. Levels are another. Even Prestige is another.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,242 ★★★★★
    They all represent time and effort put into the game.
    DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

The article doesn't say that Act 6 is tuned for 8* champs. It also doesn't say people should expect to only have fights with champs that have the same stats. There are actual numbers and calculations that directly contradict that assertion.
    Oh does it not?

That's pretty much what it looks like it says and is basically the only bullet point anyone keeps throwing around about it.

Knation said:

I normally agree with you but seriously act 4 is not gonna help build your roster up in anyway for act 6
    To a massive degree? Absolutely not. At all? Also not true.

Also if you're playing Act 4 with champions available at the time it was released at ranks available at the time, one thing you'll definitely build more of is ability. When you roll through it and act 5 with domino, ghost, Corvus, etc... It's no wonder people haven't got a clue what theyre doing on the back side.
  • mum_m2mum_m2 Posts: 1,776 ★★★★
    How much you want to bet we are going to o end up fighting the same boss 60 times in the end. As bad as the moleman eq.

DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

Oh does it not?

That's pretty much what it looks like it says and is basically the only bullet point anyone keeps throwing around about it.

That's out of context quoting. That passage discusses the specific line of thinking that difficulty of content can be adjusted by the player through roster progress: you can do the content with a weaker roster and higher skill, or with lower skill if you simply build a stronger roster. But if we extrapolate that exact line of thought from Act 5 to Act 6, then Act 6 looks like it was designed for players to outlevel by using 8* champs, which of course don't exist.

The fact that people actually do Act 6 without 8* champs, and the fact that 8* champs don't exist should imply that Act 6 wasn't designed to be completed by 8* champs. It was designed to be completed by the highest skill players with rosters close to the power ceiling at the time it was implemented. The article spends a lot of time, but apparently not enough, highlighting what happened in Act 5, and tried to extrapolate whether the same thing could happen in Act 6, and the numbers say it can't, without presuming ridiculously high rank champs.

A lot of people do quote the one thing, which I've tried to correct twice in a podcast and a livestream. They are probably hearing about the article second hand or not actually reading it completely. Which one was your particular issue?

DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

I enjoyed your video on YouTube with KT1 and you analysis. It was very good with detailed stats and the problems were articulated well. It’s a big part of why they are tuning Act 6 and for that I thank you. I just hope that Kabam tunes it well and not just lowers attack values and call it a day.
    If that was the only thing they were going to do, that wouldn't require a lot of extra thinking or effort and review, so hopefully not. They've said they are also looking specifically at troublesome fights, fight I would describe as too punishing and insufficiently rewarding, a completely separate problem I and other people have discussed on the forums in different ways. The way I've been describing it is fights should reward you for good play more than they punish you for bad play. Others have described it as fights shouldn't be crazy f-ing stupid. Similar ideas.
  • DjinDjin Posts: 1,962 ★★★★★
    H3t3r said:

No they don't. Like me. I'm about to become Cavalier. I'm not level 60.

DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

Oh does it not?

That's out of context quoting. That passage discusses the specific line of thinking that difficulty of content can be adjusted by the player through roster progress: you can do the content with a weaker roster and higher skill, or with lower skill if you simply build a stronger roster. But if we extrapolate that exact line of thought from Act 5 to Act 6, then Act 6 looks like it was designed for players to outlevel by using 8* champs, which of course don't exist.

The fact that people actually do Act 6 without 8* champs, and the fact that 8* champs don't exist should imply that Act 6 wasn't designed to be completed by 8* champs. It was designed to be completed by the highest skill players with rosters close to the power ceiling at the time it was implemented. The article spends a lot of time, but apparently not enough, highlighting what happened in Act 5, and tried to extrapolate whether the same thing could happen in Act 6, and the numbers say it can't, without presuming ridiculously high rank champs.

A lot of people do quote the one thing, which I've tried to correct twice in a podcast and a livestream. They are probably hearing about the article second hand or not actually reading it completely. Which one was your particular issue?
    I actually get what the point was. My problem was what I highlighted gets used as a soundbite to champion that the content was insanely broken.

I agree that attack values were overtuned in 6.3 and 6.4 in particular. That was also a direct response, along with ridiculous nodes, to the insane backlash they got from gates. So instead they tried to figure out a different way to accomplish the same thing and slow newer players down and only just made the whole thing worse for everyone.

Act 6 is/was very difficult and I personally don't have a problem with that. A whole lot of it was fun for me personally. You've brought up multiple times about story content shouldn't be a roadblock. That's typically true and something I have absolutely no issue with, but this false idea that act 6 was the first time story content was difficult is just silly. Everyone that thinks this is the case needs to go back and start knocking out act 5 with 4/40 4*s that were available at release.

Is it on par with act 6? Probably not, I don't know. My abilities and roster aren't remotely close to what they were then so it's pretty hard to judge. The ability to get a new champ and rank them immediately through avenues like the glory store and offers weren't available then though. Even if you got a brand new 4* you weren't immediately flying through act 5. Now, you can do it in a week. That's a huge problem. All you have to do is look at the people complaining about a level cap on a side event made to end game difficulty testing. People aren't even close to level 60 and are complaining they can't do the new side event. How in the world is that not an issue?

Act 6 is/was very difficult and I personally don't have a problem with that. A whole lot of it was fun for me personally. You've brought up multiple times about story content shouldn't be a roadblock. That's typically true and something I have absolutely no issue with, but this false idea that act 6 was the first time story content was difficult is just silly. Everyone that thinks this is the case needs to go back and start knocking out act 5 with 4/40 4*s that were available at release.

You're absolutely correct here. Act 5 was really the first time this happened, not Act 6. But people didn't *need* to do it with 4/40s. They could, if they could. Or they could wait to level up a 5/50 or 3/45. These days they could even get a 4/55 in there just with the calendar or some mid-tier AQ rewards. There's a path to progress that has a cliff face for the climbers, a hiking trail for the average guy, and even a handicap ramp for people who need that. I was right there with everyone else saying if you couldn't do Act 5, or become Uncollected, just stick with it, develop both your skills and your roster, and eventually the combination of the two will get you there. For most players of the game, this is true if they have enough patience.

The problem with Act 6 is that this is not true. So even though Act 6 repeats the same problem of Act 5, but to a much higher magnitude, the tools to solve it don't exist. The guys that needed that one 4/55 to do Act 5 is bringing in something two ranks higher than the 4/40s that are the hard mode Act 5 roster. But Act 6 is pushing even strong players to bring in teams of 4/55s and 5/65s; its difficulty is some hybrid in between to start, and probably climbs into needing 5/65s towards the end for all but the highest skill players. Two ranks higher than that doesn't exist in the game. A 5/65 is basically a 6* rank 2. Rank 3 isn't one rank higher in the same way it was for 5*, because Kabam cut the rank bonus in half (about) above rank 2. Best guess is a rank 4 would be the rough equivalent of "one rank higher" than 5/65. Two ranks higher would be a rank 6, which also doesn't exist: that is entering hypothetical 7* territory. Asking someone to wait to rank up a 4/55 for Act 5 is like asking someone to wait for 7* champs to do Act 6, especially the back half.

And that *only* accounts for the attack/health node bonuses. It doesn't account for the crazy situational fights, which stress players even harder (which is where the 8* champ remark comes from, which I've come to regret). So yes, Act 6 isn't throwing a unique problem to players in a general sense. Act 5 presented a similar problem of git gud, or grow higher roster. The problem with Act 6 is, in a sense, the devs just won't give us the same higher roster. What players would need to reduce Act 6 to be a similar, if incrementally harder challenge than Act 5, Kabam won't give us. That's what makes Act 6 fundamentally different. Same problem, perhaps, but with the half the tools taken away to solve it. Leaving Act 6 only doable by players that can make due with half the tools: git gud.

Trying to do Act 5 with 4/40s is actually an interesting experiment. Definitely worth trying to compare to the experience of doing Act 6 with suboptimal roster. I did some of that to prepare for the post, as part of measuring ranks and bonuses. Not the whole thing: I didn't have time for that. Just a few early fights to see how it went.
    DNA3000 said:

You're absolutely correct here. Act 5 was really the first time this happened, not Act 6. But people didn't *need* to do it with 4/40s. They could, if they could. Or they could wait to level up a 5/50 or 3/45. These days they could even get a 4/55 in there just with the calendar or some mid-tier AQ rewards. There's a path to progress that has a cliff face for the climbers, a hiking trail for the average guy, and even a handicap ramp for people who need that. I was right there with everyone else saying if you couldn't do Act 5, or become Uncollected, just stick with it, develop both your skills and your roster, and eventually the combination of the two will get you there. For most players of the game, this is true if they have enough patience.

The problem with Act 6 is that this is not true. So even though Act 6 repeats the same problem of Act 5, but to a much higher magnitude, the tools to solve it don't exist. The guys that needed that one 4/55 to do Act 5 is bringing in something two ranks higher than the 4/40s that are the hard mode Act 5 roster. But Act 6 is pushing even strong players to bring in teams of 4/55s and 5/65s; its difficulty is some hybrid in between to start, and probably climbs into needing 5/65s towards the end for all but the highest skill players. Two ranks higher than that doesn't exist in the game. A 5/65 is basically a 6* rank 2. Rank 3 isn't one rank higher in the same way it was for 5*, because Kabam cut the rank bonus in half (about) above rank 2. Best guess is a rank 4 would be the rough equivalent of "one rank higher" than 5/65. Two ranks higher would be a rank 6, which also doesn't exist: that is entering hypothetical 7* territory. Asking someone to wait to rank up a 4/55 for Act 5 is like asking someone to wait for 7* champs to do Act 6, especially the back half.

And that *only* accounts for the attack/health node bonuses. It doesn't account for the crazy situational fights, which stress players even harder (which is where the 8* champ remark comes from, which I've come to regret). So yes, Act 6 isn't throwing a unique problem to players in a general sense. Act 5 presented a similar problem of git gud, or grow higher roster. The problem with Act 6 is, in a sense, the devs just won't give us the same higher roster. What players would need to reduce Act 6 to be a similar, if incrementally harder challenge than Act 5, Kabam won't give us. That's what makes Act 6 fundamentally different. Same problem, perhaps, but with the half the tools taken away to solve it. Leaving Act 6 only doable by players that can make due with half the tools: git gud.

Trying to do Act 5 with 4/40s is actually an interesting experiment. Definitely worth trying to compare to the experience of doing Act 6 with suboptimal roster. I did some of that to prepare for the post, as part of measuring ranks and bonuses. Not the whole thing: I didn't have time for that. Just a few early fights to see how it went.
    These days people are doing it with 5/65 2018 5s though. It's not only necessarily the ranks attainable at the time but the champions as well. Act 5 with a 4/40 Ghost is a different animal than a 4/40 Agent Venom or X23 even.

I'm not not holding what players have available to them against them but it does create a problem down the line. If you're using overpowered and overranked champions for content designed years ago, when you get to the more current content it's obviously going to seem disproportionately difficult as you've never gone up against content with champions it was designed for.

At that point, it just becomes a question of where should "story content" be tuned and what expectations of players should it have. They tried to emphasize roster breadth with Act 6 and honestly I think they went too far since they made zero changes to champion acquisition. I still understand what they tried to do and why and it doesn't mean it was broken content.

The group of players they're trying to please with one thing is far too vast in my opinion. You have to have a tier of content with the newest and best resources for those willing to push but also have to have an avenue for other players to get to that point eventually. If they dropped story content difficulty and also the rewards to a tier below the top level stuff I think you'd still have the same problem but with people complaining about different content instead.