“Caution light sensitivity” discussion

I’d like to commend Kabam for alerting the community to this potential visual effect and informing that parts of Psycho Man’s animation sequence may not be suitable for all audiences. This is certainly a step in the right direction!

Moving forward, I question whether the programming team will make changes to diminish the strobe effects, or if this warning is the end of the road.

Additionally, other sequences come to mind that threaten greater light sensitive consequences. King Groot’s Sp3 comes to mind as well as Thor Rag’s Sp3. As a medical provider and an advocate for those who suffer from epilepsy, I would love to see a move to change these sequences or provide an option to bypass the animation sequences entirely to avoid potential injury or disability.

«13456789

Comments

  • JadedJaded Posts: 3,350 ★★★★★
    Very interesting.

    How do you feel about blue light glasses for users? Or any suggestions to help our eyes if kabam can’t?
  • DarkZenDarkZen Posts: 212
    For me is Wasp wings that causes me discomfort. They move so fast sometime it gives me a slight headache
  • JadedJaded Posts: 3,350 ★★★★★
    ItsDamien said:

    Jaded said:

    Very interesting.

    How do you feel about blue light glasses for users? Or any suggestions to help our eyes if kabam can’t?

    Check and see if your device supports a blue light filter (I know my Samsung S10+ has this feature), and maybe lowering the brightness of your screen while playing. Not much else a user can do on their end without paying for glasses.

    That’s my brightness 24/7, unless I’m up all night it goes to zero.

    Jaded said:

    Very interesting.

    How do you feel about blue light glasses for users? Or any suggestions to help our eyes if kabam can’t?

    Blue light glasses would help to reduce eye muscle strain and fatigue, but would do very little in regards to preventing neurological hyper stimulation that causes epileptic seizures in those with the condition.

    An alternative that I would suggest would include reducing the contrast between light and dark fields within the animation, or simply to slow the frame rate of the animation itself. Either of these options could reduce the hyper stimulation of the nerves in the visual pathway and reduce the risk of seizures.
    This has come up a lot in my house between my wife and I. I appreciate the information. I thought the blue light glasses would help with the potential seizures as well.
    (Guess she’s right again haha)
  • StaphMemberStaphMember Posts: 136
    @Nichj99 do you have any other suggestions beyond what I mentioned?

    - Allow users to skip these sequences
    - Utilize an on screen depiction of strobe effects (such as a red persistent charge button on the champs icon)
  • Liss_Bliss_Liss_Bliss_ Posts: 1,470 ★★★★
    Where was this warning/notice at? I must have missed it. I don’t have sensitivity but am curious where it was shown.
  • DjinDjin Posts: 1,721 ★★★★★

    Where was this warning/notice at? I must have missed it. I don’t have sensitivity but am curious where it was shown.

    @Liss_Bliss_ In the In-game mail.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 26,979 ★★★★★


    kconrad37 said:

    I'm not exactly in tandem with this. A warning is suitable, but I'm also not keen on altering the graphics. It's the responsibility of people with such issues to be aware of what they participate in. Games are widely known to have flashing lights and other triggers. The alternative is a somewhat watered-down experience.

    This is 120% the absolute worst take. You're telling me that if someone LOVED this game and suddenly couldn't play anymore because a NEW champions animations cause them to have disorientation, that's fine? Get out of here, have have consideration for your fellow players.

    Games are supposed to be fun and enjoyable, if a game is going to include flashing lights that can cause discomfort and disorientation, it is the responsibility of the developers to make sure that they put things in place to ensure the game can be enjoyed by all.
    If someone has health concerns that make them sensitive to lights, then video games are a well-known trigger. It's not a new thing. It's their responsibility to be aware of what they're doing. If I had Diabetes, I couldn't blame the candy bar company for my consumption. A warning is appropriate, but dumbing down the game is not a reasonable option for me. Do I sympathize? Absolutely. Doesn't mean it's the game's responsibility.
    The candy bar company clearly states the sugar content on the package though so they’ve informed the consumer of the risk.

    I don’t believe it’s too much to ask for small changes or ongoing depictions of risk for specified characters.

    Admittedly, reworking animations may prove to be a big task, but I don’t agree that Nefele to g to do so relieves the producer from accountability.
    I don't agree with small changes at all. What I do agree with, even for liability purposes, is a warning during start-up. "Warning: May contain flashing lights and images.", or something of the ilk.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 26,979 ★★★★★
    Crcrcrc said:

    Nichj99 said:

    Crcrcrc said:

    Nichj99 said:

    I'm not exactly in tandem with this. A warning is suitable, but I'm also not keen on altering the graphics. It's the responsibility of people with such issues to be aware of what they participate in. Games are widely known to have flashing lights and other triggers. The alternative is a somewhat watered-down experience.

    As someone who actually has epilepsy I mostly disagree in this instance. Whilst I take every precaution - how do I complete content in this situation if I am not to do this fight, not only now but ongoing? Why would I put myself at risk of hospitalization and having my license suspended- then end up letting my alliance down for not being able to complete a path.

    King Groots SP3 does my head in, but at least I can look away during that animation sequence.
    Either wait for a settings change or, not to be rude, but maybe you shouldn’t play if you can be hospitalized by it? I’m sure there are tons of people who really enjoy the awesome animations (myself included) and it’s not fair to the majority to cater to a minority. Not to be disrespectful, I know epilepsy is a real problem, and I hope that a settings option is added to help epileptic people.
    Understand completely where you are coming from, but let’s flip this point of view.

    You’re saying I shouldn’t play because of a new issue because it might effect your enjoyment. after 5 years and a 1.9mill base account rating this is very disheartening after countless hours of grinding a dozens of friends made both on here and in alliances.

    Rather, if the design had been smart from the beginning - no issue and you would have no idea what you might be missing out on. Awesome animations can still be done in another, less dangerous way.
    Let’s see, this may not relate as much, but hypothetically if I ate junk food for 2 years and suddenly got diabetes, would I stop eating it? Or would I ask for it to be made sugar-free? I just don’t agree with altering something that is enjoyable to most people when most other games do not do that.
    To clarify, I used that as an example of someone who was aware they had Diabetes and chose to ate the candy. Not so much developing it. Lol.
  • Nichj99Nichj99 Posts: 196 ★★
    Crcrcrc said:

    Nichj99 said:

    Crcrcrc said:

    Nichj99 said:

    I'm not exactly in tandem with this. A warning is suitable, but I'm also not keen on altering the graphics. It's the responsibility of people with such issues to be aware of what they participate in. Games are widely known to have flashing lights and other triggers. The alternative is a somewhat watered-down experience.

    As someone who actually has epilepsy I mostly disagree in this instance. Whilst I take every precaution - how do I complete content in this situation if I am not to do this fight, not only now but ongoing? Why would I put myself at risk of hospitalization and having my license suspended- then end up letting my alliance down for not being able to complete a path.

    King Groots SP3 does my head in, but at least I can look away during that animation sequence.
    Either wait for a settings change or, not to be rude, but maybe you shouldn’t play if you can be hospitalized by it? I’m sure there are tons of people who really enjoy the awesome animations (myself included) and it’s not fair to the majority to cater to a minority. Not to be disrespectful, I know epilepsy is a real problem, and I hope that a settings option is added to help epileptic people.
    Understand completely where you are coming from, but let’s flip this point of view.

    You’re saying I shouldn’t play because of a new issue because it might effect your enjoyment. after 5 years and a 1.9mill base account rating this is very disheartening after countless hours of grinding a dozens of friends made both on here and in alliances.

    Rather, if the design had been smart from the beginning - no issue and you would have no idea what you might be missing out on. Awesome animations can still be done in another, less dangerous way.
    Let’s see, this may not relate as much, but hypothetically if I ate junk food for 2 years and suddenly got diabetes, would I stop eating it? Or would I ask for it to be made sugar-free? I just don’t agree with altering something that is enjoyable to most people when most other games do not do that.
    The difference here is that the candy bars are a leading factor to the establishment of diabetes, which can also be reversed in this type 2 example.

    Epilepsy won’t be cured just because video games are taken away. As I highlighted in the KG example I can live with it in these SP3 animations. Why not keep it here?
  • StaphMemberStaphMember Posts: 136
    Crcrcrc said:

    Nichj99 said:

    Crcrcrc said:

    Nichj99 said:

    I'm not exactly in tandem with this. A warning is suitable, but I'm also not keen on altering the graphics. It's the responsibility of people with such issues to be aware of what they participate in. Games are widely known to have flashing lights and other triggers. The alternative is a somewhat watered-down experience.

    As someone who actually has epilepsy I mostly disagree in this instance. Whilst I take every precaution - how do I complete content in this situation if I am not to do this fight, not only now but ongoing? Why would I put myself at risk of hospitalization and having my license suspended- then end up letting my alliance down for not being able to complete a path.

    King Groots SP3 does my head in, but at least I can look away during that animation sequence.
    Either wait for a settings change or, not to be rude, but maybe you shouldn’t play if you can be hospitalized by it? I’m sure there are tons of people who really enjoy the awesome animations (myself included) and it’s not fair to the majority to cater to a minority. Not to be disrespectful, I know epilepsy is a real problem, and I hope that a settings option is added to help epileptic people.
    Understand completely where you are coming from, but let’s flip this point of view.

    You’re saying I shouldn’t play because of a new issue because it might effect your enjoyment. after 5 years and a 1.9mill base account rating this is very disheartening after countless hours of grinding a dozens of friends made both on here and in alliances.

    Rather, if the design had been smart from the beginning - no issue and you would have no idea what you might be missing out on. Awesome animations can still be done in another, less dangerous way.
    Let’s see, this may not relate as much, but hypothetically if I ate junk food for 2 years and suddenly got diabetes, would I stop eating it? Or would I ask for it to be made sugar-free? I just don’t agree with altering something that is enjoyable to most people when most other games do not do that.
    Except that there are sugar free options. Every argument posed against the precautions in this thread seems more an argument for the precautions themselves.

    - food shows nutrient content to avoid liability for non-compliant diabetic consumers
    - Roughly equal choices/experiences are available for those that can eat these candies

    You’re statement that someone should “[not do something or that they should not expect the option of an equivalent experience without risk because it might diminish your experience]” is toeing a dangerous line. That’s the line of thought that was predominant in segregation.
This discussion has been closed.