**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

“Caution light sensitivity” discussion

Comments

• Notsavage19Notsavage19 Posts: 2,817 ★★★★★
    HI_guys said:

HI_guys said:

HI_guys said:

Crcrcrc said:

HI_guys said:

HI_guys said:

Daddrieda said:

The problem Is, I don’t think kabam have noticed, is that this can surely lead to a law suit? I’d never take it further, but for all they know someone else who suffered could easily take this to court and announce the fact that they didn’t have a warning the first time.

the problem is that we signed up the EULA contract back then causing us to lose our right to waive. even though we signed up for that we didn't sign up to get more damaged.
    But you agreed to not hold Kabam liable for damages...

It doesn't matter if you didn't know you were going to get more damaged. (At least that's how I think it works. I don't work in corporate law.)
    I might be completely wrong but I think there are I stances where agreements even if signed by both parties can be nullfied if terms were unreasonable and is taken to court or if the issues are serious enough
    There's probably a looot of kids in here. Don't think they can sign and agree to legally binding contracts and agreements anyway which would make Kabam liable.

Nb : not a legal expert but rather googling expert
    Googling expert is not reliable. If they have a contract that says they are not liable, that’s it. They are not liable. Every person here agreed to that when they started.
    I mean, both of us are talking off of google searches unless ofcourse you are pursuing a legal career.

And upon further "research" contracts with minors can be voided by said minor to the disadvantage of the company should they(minor) choose to. So yeah Kabam can be liable.
    Ah, but you missed the clause in which parents can provide consent on behalf of their children, therefore the contract is still intact.
    I'm 99.9% sure no child showed the agreement to their parents beofre clicking "I agree"
    My kids have to get my permission to download games. I'm sure there's a lot more parents out there like me. 99.99% is you just being overly sarcastic.
    Downloading games sure, but you actually read and the contract and click "I agree " for you child?

No im not being sarcastic, my parents have never Interfered in game specifics is why I said what I said.or anybody I know for that matter. Seems I was wrong
    No one reads the TOS, but it's there for a reason.
  • CrcrcrcCrcrcrc Posts: 7,935 ★★★★★

Okay I think I’m getting slightly worked up here.

Crcrcrc said:

Pure toxic community. Absolute poor excuse, I wish you all nothing but good health so don’t ever bring your **** down on people who have unavoidable problems.

Not to be inconsiderate, because I know this is a problem, and it’s probably very difficult to live with, but why wouldn’t you have someone watch the deep dives or something to make sure you aren’t at risk from the new animations monthly before playing the game? I know that the game has a history of tame animations, but the animations are getting bigger and more spectacular lately.
    I usually would, for stuff that is commonly known to cause seizures. However this has never been an issue in this game. so it wouldn’t of crossed my mind. Now I’m not blaming kabam I said from the start that I wasn’t. Wel not for the seizure. But it is purely their fault that they didn’t post the warning.
    I agree, a warning needs to be added to the game start-up screen immediately.
    Crcrcrc said:

Crcrcrc said:

Pure toxic community. Absolute poor excuse, I wish you all nothing but good health so don’t ever bring your **** down on people who have unavoidable problems.

Not to be inconsiderate, because I know this is a problem, and it’s probably very difficult to live with, but why wouldn’t you have someone watch the deep dives or something to make sure you aren’t at risk from the new animations monthly before playing the game? I know that the game has a history of tame animations, but the animations are getting bigger and more spectacular lately.
    I usually would, for stuff that is commonly known to cause seizures. However this has never been an issue in this game. so it wouldn’t of crossed my mind. Now I’m not blaming kabam I said from the start that I wasn’t. Wel not for the seizure. But it is purely their fault that they didn’t post the warning.
    I agree, a warning needs to be added to the game start-up screen immediately.
    I think we all agree that it should be implemented.
  • CrcrcrcCrcrcrc Posts: 7,935 ★★★★★
    HI_guys said:

HI_guys said:

HI_guys said:

HI_guys said:

Crcrcrc said:

HI_guys said:

HI_guys said:

Daddrieda said:

The problem Is, I don’t think kabam have noticed, is that this can surely lead to a law suit? I’d never take it further, but for all they know someone else who suffered could easily take this to court and announce the fact that they didn’t have a warning the first time.

the problem is that we signed up the EULA contract back then causing us to lose our right to waive. even though we signed up for that we didn't sign up to get more damaged.
    But you agreed to not hold Kabam liable for damages...

It doesn't matter if you didn't know you were going to get more damaged. (At least that's how I think it works. I don't work in corporate law.)
    I might be completely wrong but I think there are I stances where agreements even if signed by both parties can be nullfied if terms were unreasonable and is taken to court or if the issues are serious enough
    There's probably a looot of kids in here. Don't think they can sign and agree to legally binding contracts and agreements anyway which would make Kabam liable.

Nb : not a legal expert but rather googling expert
    Googling expert is not reliable. If they have a contract that says they are not liable, that’s it. They are not liable. Every person here agreed to that when they started.
    I mean, both of us are talking off of google searches unless ofcourse you are pursuing a legal career.

And upon further "research" contracts with minors can be voided by said minor to the disadvantage of the company should they(minor) choose to. So yeah Kabam can be liable.
    Ah, but you missed the clause in which parents can provide consent on behalf of their children, therefore the contract is still intact.
    I'm 99.9% sure no child showed the agreement to their parents beofre clicking "I agree"
    My kids have to get my permission to download games. I'm sure there's a lot more parents out there like me. 99.99% is you just being overly sarcastic.
    Downloading games sure, but you actually read and the contract and click "I agree " for you child?

No im not being sarcastic, my parents have never Interfered in game specifics is why I said what I said.or anybody I know for that matter. Seems I was wrong
    Of course. I make sure they play games suitable for their age range.
    Haa yes ofcourse. I wouldn't want kids playing adult games but age isn't really the issue here
    Accepting a TOS in the account of a parent in the device of a parent holds the parent responsible if something goes wrong because they were careless. That is not Kabam’s fault.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,862 ★★★★★
    edited February 2021

Crcrcrc said:

And that's where I disagree. I don't think it's their fault for not posting a warning. It's a video game. It's well documented that video games can cause epileptic seizures. None on purpose of course. Most anything with a strobe effect will absolutely state it because that almost certainly will cause a seizure. I play/played many games. I have MCOC, MROC, Strike Force and Future Fight on my phone. None of them have a warning. I do agree however, there should be a warning but I don't think this is their fault at all.
  • StaphMemberStaphMember Posts: 337 ★★★

Hey there, it may have gotten lost between threads, but I did want folks to know that their reports have been and are being passed along. Secondly, for anyone who might be new to the thread, you can find the original post here, along with some information on what you can do if you think it could be affecting you.

Thank you @""Kabam Zibiit" ! I appreciate you taking the time to respond to this issue. As I stated in the original post, I do commend the team for their initial response and am grateful for at least the acknowledgement of such a problem. I hope that moving forward, there is some change/option to avoid potentially dangerous/harmful effects such as this.

My intention is not to suggest legal liability, but rather to seek professional courtesy towards accommodations to those at risk in the player base. I am hopeful that further steps are taken to avoid similar situations in the the future.

This turned from discussion to pure argumentative talk. I feel like it’s partially my fault, but this is just something that has completely affected my outlook on this game, I just don’t think I’ll continue playing.

Sorry to hear of your experience mate. I don't feel that the thread has become particularly argumentative, but I do understand that this has the potential to be a sensitive issue and may illicit a strong emotional response.

I do appreciate your inclusion of the terms of service as I think that should be clearly demonstrated in this conversation. My intention when creating this thread was not necessarily to pose legal blame/liability on the company, but simply to illicit some professional courtesy and copiability for the result of the character and animation they designed. In my opinion, it would be in poor taste for a company such as Kabam to fall back on the protections of their terms of service and make no further changes when it has been demonstrated that features in their product have the potential to cause harm. It may not be a legal requirement for them to do so, but would surely demonstrate loyalty to their player base as a whole to devote themselves to removing these features and avoid similar situations moving forward.
  • AddyosAddyos Posts: 1,090 ★★★★
    I don’t know if this has been brought up already here, but it is somewhat related. There is a flashing light that pops up when scrolling from one page to another when using the mobile version of the forums. I distinctly remember someone claiming that their wife suffered an epileptic fit when browsing the forum because of this flashing light. Kabam said they would have looked into this, but many months later this is still a thing.

I use 2 iPhones and both have the flashing light pop up when changing pages. I’m not epileptic so the flashing light seen here is more of an annoyance, but I do have a couple family members who’ve suffered from epilepsy. So I’m gonna have to take many precautions when doing the Psycho Man challenges. Or skip them altogether.
  • Destroyer123Destroyer123 Posts: 368 ★★
    kconrad37 said:

I'm not exactly in tandem with this. A warning is suitable, but I'm also not keen on altering the graphics. It's the responsibility of people with such issues to be aware of what they participate in. Games are widely known to have flashing lights and other triggers. The alternative is a somewhat watered-down experience.

This is 120% the absolute worst take. You're telling me that if someone LOVED this game and suddenly couldn't play anymore because a NEW champions animations cause them to have disorientation, that's fine? Get out of here, have have consideration for your fellow players.

Games are supposed to be fun and enjoyable, if a game is going to include flashing lights that can cause discomfort and disorientation, it is the responsibility of the developers to make sure that they put things in place to ensure the game can be enjoyed by all.
    kconrad37 said:

I'm not exactly in tandem with this. A warning is suitable, but I'm also not keen on altering the graphics. It's the responsibility of people with such issues to be aware of what they participate in. Games are widely known to have flashing lights and other triggers. The alternative is a somewhat watered-down experience.

This is 120% the absolute worst take. You're telling me that if someone LOVED this game and suddenly couldn't play anymore because a NEW champions animations cause them to have disorientation, that's fine? Get out of here, have have consideration for your fellow players.

Games are supposed to be fun and enjoyable, if a game is going to include flashing lights that can cause discomfort and disorientation, it is the responsibility of the developers to make sure that they put things in place to ensure the game can be enjoyed by all.
    Yes I agree with him. I loved Burger King until they changed their Frys now it makes me sick should they change it for me? Of course not
  • HalasterHalaster Posts: 27
    They should just put up an in-game setting "Flashing lights" and you can turn on or off, solved.

Personally I think they should put an in-game warning in the champion encounter screen and ban him from arena matches and AW defense, until they give an option to avoid it...
    MSRDLD said:

It’s so annoying when people quote like 8 responses and take up half the page with quotes.

Anyway if you have light sensitivity or epileptic you probably shouldn’t be playing this game. Period.

The thing is that at release and until recently, the champions in the game did not have the same extent of flashy and bright animations when compared to some of the champions released recently. People were under the impression that it was safe to play the game, as there were no characters that would've caused such reactions early on.

So you can't really say that people with those conditions shouldn't be playing the game anyway since there wasn't any indication that such a character would be released.
    Halaster said:

They should just put up an in-game setting "Flashing lights" and you can turn on or off, solved.

Personally I think they should put an in-game warning in the champion encounter screen and ban him from arena matches and AW defense, until they give an option to avoid it...

To make it simpler, just have the option to turn all visual effects off. No background movement/animated skins/extra back lighting = no/lessened discomfort.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,191 ★★★★★

MSRDLD said:

It’s so annoying when people quote like 8 responses and take up half the page with quotes.

Anyway if you have light sensitivity or epileptic you probably shouldn’t be playing this game. Period.

The thing is that at release and until recently, the champions in the game did not have the same extent of flashy and bright animations when compared to some of the champions released recently. People were under the impression that it was safe to play the game, as there were no characters that would've caused such reactions early on.

So you can't really say that people with those conditions shouldn't be playing the game anyway since there wasn't any indication that such a character would be released.
    The trouble with that is not everyone can be aware of every trigger. That was my point earlier.
    To put it into perspective, around 1/3 of all seizures are actually photosensitive (not to question anyone's experience here). The majority are induced by stress and other factors. In order to determine if you're photosensitive, you need testing. That's something the game can't really provide.
    Having a warning is definitely suitable, but there's no way to prevent it from happening again. Nor was it ever a game that was presented as trigger-free. It's grown over the years, and so have the effects. I don't think there's an easy solution to this, but it makes sense to have the option to turn them off. If possible. It might even be on our end, playing in full lighting, etc. As for it being the game's fault for adding him, no. They were doing their job.
  • Dragfire1760Dragfire1760 Posts: 149
    Right I think this thread has really derailed from everything that we were doing initially.
    While I do agree with some of the people who do not want strobe-esc animations to change for everybody, it is still not fair to have them not change and cause a part of the player base to suffer. The main idea we should gather from this is that a setting to control these kinds of lights should be implemented, but not mandated. We also cannot put the blame of playing this game on anyone here, or on kabam's end for not realising the problem soon enough. One major problem with this is when a character with these effects are on a path toward progression, a person affected with these problems would be unable to pass through. This puts them at a major disadvantage against a majority of the player base, hindering their chances at getting an equal opportunity at more rewards. The main idea we should gather here is that people who suggest keeping the lighting aren't wrong, yes they look cool but we shouldn't be too selfish either. If kabam changed psycho-mans Specials to ensure that any disturbances wouldn't be caused, of course some of us might get mad that it looks less cool. But what does coolness matter against a person's health in the end?
    Also yes I realise I typed way to much to prove my point so TL;DR: Dont blame a player for asking for better accomodations, he's affected like a lot of the community and we have to sacrifice a little bit of show for a person's health

Right I think this thread has really derailed from everything that we were doing initially.
    While I do agree with some of the people who do not want strobe-esc animations to change for everybody, it is still not fair to have them not change and cause a part of the player base to suffer. The main idea we should gather from this is that a setting to control these kinds of lights should be implemented, but not mandated. We also cannot put the blame of playing this game on anyone here, or on kabam's end for not realising the problem soon enough. One major problem with this is when a character with these effects are on a path toward progression, a person affected with these problems would be unable to pass through. This puts them at a major disadvantage against a majority of the player base, hindering their chances at getting an equal opportunity at more rewards. The main idea we should gather here is that people who suggest keeping the lighting aren't wrong, yes they look cool but we shouldn't be too selfish either. If kabam changed psycho-mans Specials to ensure that any disturbances wouldn't be caused, of course some of us might get mad that it looks less cool. But what does coolness matter against a person's health in the end?
    Also yes I realise I typed way to much to prove my point so TL;DR: Dont blame a player for asking for better accomodations, he's affected like a lot of the community and we have to sacrifice a little bit of show for a person's health

I disagree with this. People shouldn't have to sacrifice enjoyment for others' enjoyment. However, the others should be given an opportunity to have the same enjoyment as everyone else.

I disagree with this. People shouldn't have to sacrifice enjoyment for others' enjoyment. However, the others should be given an opportunity to have the same enjoyment as everyone else.

These seem like two conflicting ideas.

Would you support there being an option to reduce motion/visual settings? I believe that’s what you’re alluding to.

These seem like two conflicting ideas.

Would you support there being an option to reduce motion/visual settings? I believe that’s what you’re alluding to.
    Yup, that. That way it doesn't reduce one party's enjoyment and allows the other to enjoy the game as well, but I disagree with changing visuals for everyone.
  • Dragfire1760Dragfire1760 Posts: 149

but I disagree with changing visuals for everyone

I get where you're coming from man, it's just that I have had friends who have been put in precarious situations without being forewarned and this has always turned out horribly for them. Of course the stuff that happened is nowhere near as bas as something that could happen due to this issue, but the problem with an effect like this is that although everyone might have a different stance, and everyone will have a point in what they're saying, I'm not saying anyone is wrong, but in the end, if kabam are unable to embed a setting within the game to allow a change to these effects, I would rather that they remove some of these visuals altogether. That's just my honest opinion, but I also respect yours
  • TitoBandito187TitoBandito187 Posts: 2,072 ★★★★

Hey there, it may have gotten lost between threads, but I did want folks to know that their reports have been and are being passed along. Secondly, for anyone who might be new to the thread, you can find the original post here, along with some information on what you can do if you think it could be affecting you.

So, for the people not in the forums, how are they getting updates and reminders about light sensitivity on a regular basis? Great that there's a forum in it, but the game and the forum are not the same any many players are not in the forum at all.
  • CorkscrewCorkscrew Posts: 531 ★★★
    I can see both sides of this argument. If Psychoman is the only instance in this game of flashing lights causing a problem then Kabam can just remove/alter the animation so it is no longer a problem and going forward run each animation past an expert. For those that say, removing it will affect their enjoyment of the game... you seemed to enjoy the game perfectly fine for 6 years without Psychoman's animations, why is it a problem now?

However, if it is a general problem with the game and Psychoman just happens to be the worst case then it seems like the game is the equivalent of "do not get on this ride if you are pregnant or prone to seizures".
    Corkscrew said:

I can see both sides of this argument. If Psychoman is the only instance in this game of flashing lights causing a problem then Kabam can just remove/alter the animation so it is no longer a problem and going forward run each animation past an expert. For those that say, removing it will affect their enjoyment of the game... you seemed to enjoy the game perfectly fine for 6 years without Psychoman's animations, why is it a problem now?

However, if it is a general problem with the game and Psychoman just happens to be the worst case then it seems like the game is the equivalent of "do not get on this ride if you are pregnant or prone to seizures".

The problem is how do we deal with other characters and their effects on photosensitive individuals. We can't go through every character and change them for everyone so that they no longer bother photosensitive individuals. As you said, 1 character isn't a big deal when it comes to changing animations. However, multiple characters? That just doesn't make sense.

"For those that say, removing it will affect their enjoyment of the game... you seemed to enjoy the game perfectly fine for 6 years without Psychoman's animations, why is it a problem now?"

If Kabam removed CGR from the game and refunded all the materials used to rank/level him, wouldn't people argue that would "affect" their enjoyment of the game? Why is that scenario any different than altering Psycho Man's animations, or removing them completely?
  • ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★

Corkscrew said:

The problem is how do we deal with other characters and their effects on photosensitive individuals. We can't go through every character and change them for everyone so that they no longer bother photosensitive individuals. As you said, 1 character isn't a big deal when it comes to changing animations. However, multiple characters? That just doesn't make sense.

"For those that say, removing it will affect their enjoyment of the game... you seemed to enjoy the game perfectly fine for 6 years without Psychoman's animations, why is it a problem now?"

If Kabam removed CGR from the game and refunded all the materials used to rank/level him, wouldn't people argue that would "affect" their enjoyment of the game? Why is that scenario any different than altering Psycho Man's animations, or removing them completely?
    Altering something is different from completely removing.

If I changed my zipper to a button fly, I don't lose the whole piece of clothing.
    ItsDamien said:

Corkscrew said:

If I changed my zipper to a button fly, I don't lose the whole piece of clothing.
    Okay, that analogy wasn't good. Here's another one. If someone pours brown paint on my white shoes, it affects the aesthetic value of the shoe, thereby affecting my enjoyment of wearing my shoes. I was not worried about the aesthetic value of my shoes before I had purchased them, but now that they're no longer aesthetically pleasing, they have impacted me in a negative way.

Changing Psycho Man's animations in a less aesthetically-valued way would ultimately impact one's enjoyment of using the character. We can infer that people value aesthetics when discussing animations of characters, hence why people are calling for changes to animations of the original champions. By altering Psycho Man's animations in a way that would result in the new animation being of lesser value, it would affect people negatively. Again, no one was worried about the aesthetic value of PM's animations before he was released, but now that he has been released and his animations aren't visually as great, it will have an impact on the player base.
  • ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★

ItsDamien said:

Corkscrew said:

Okay, that analogy wasn't good. Here's another one. If someone pours brown paint on my white shoes, it affects the aesthetic value of the shoe, thereby affecting my enjoyment of wearing my shoes. I was not worried about the aesthetic value of my shoes before I had purchased them, but now that they're no longer aesthetically pleasing, they have impacted me in a negative way.

Changing Psycho Man's animations in a less aesthetically-valued way would ultimately impact one's enjoyment of using the character. We can infer that people value aesthetics when discussing animations of characters, hence why people are calling for changes to animations of the original champions. By altering Psycho Man's animations in a way that would result in the new animation being of lesser value, it would affect people negatively. Again, no one was worried about the aesthetic value of PM's animations before he was released, but now that he has been released and his animations aren't visually as great, it will have an impact on the player base.
    We've had other character alterations, including their animations. Not one person complained about that.

Also changing the brightness and luminosity isn't an animation change. He will still move exactly the same. It just won't be as bright. Again there's a difference between toning down overly bright flashes, and removing or changing the entire animation.
    ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

Corkscrew said:

We've had other character alterations, including their animations. Not one person complained about that.

Also changing the brightness and luminosity isn't an animation change. He will still move exactly the same. It just won't be as bright. Again there's a difference between toning down overly bright flashes, and removing or changing the entire animation.
    I may be wrong, but I don't think we've had any animation change that decreased the animation in aesthetic value.

Again, changing brightness and luminosity is an aesthetic change. Bright light and dim light have different aesthetic effects.
This discussion has been closed.