**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

I sell 4* champs.

Comments

• The1_NuclearOnionThe1_NuclearOnion Posts: 907 ★★★
    Waynedavy wrote: »
    Or you could build up a strong 4* roster and do arena and get way more 4* and 5* shards easily

Have life. Agree with OP.
  • WaynedavyWaynedavy Posts: 193
    Or you could build up a strong 4* roster and do arena and get way more 4* and 5* shards easily

?
    I have sold 3* champs to get shards FASTER to get the champs I "need" for special content (this game is ALL about the champs you have). Selling some champs that do not seem to have much value for any certain game content has enabled me to get better/more higher * champs FASTER which lets me access and complete harder content sooner which I net considerably more ISO, shards, gold, special crystals, stones, etc. much sooner which gets me MORE shards faster *loop*.

So the real "long-game" effects are hard to determine and not quite as simple as adding up the sell or dupe numbers I think.
  • ShrimkinsShrimkins Posts: 1,479 ★★★★
    I am forced to buy t1a alphas with glory so I'm definitely not going to waste one ranking champs up just to sell them.
  • Viper1987Viper1987 Posts: 728 ★★★
    As people have mentioned, those champs could be better served in arena. By ranking 1-10% in featured arena you can get an additional 800 5* shards a week and if you're feeling particularly eager, you can shoot for top 800 and net yourself 800 5* shards per arena or 1,600 a week. Plus the extra ISO is really nice when you need it or are low on gold. But if it works better for you to sell, then all the more power to you. No judgement or roasting from me. I just learned that selling is a bad decision for me.

P.S. 99.99999999% of the time, you're going to get an extra 275 5* crystals from max sig crystals.
    edited October 2017
    Viper1987 wrote: »
    As people have mentioned, those champs could be better served in arena. By ranking 1-10% in featured arena you can get an additional 800 5* shards a week and if you're feeling particularly eager, you can shoot for top 800 and net yourself 800 5* shards per arena or 1,600 a week. Plus the extra ISO is really nice when you need it or are low on gold. But if it works better for you to sell, then all the more power to you. No judgement or roasting from me. I just learned that selling is a bad decision for me.

P.S. 99.99999999% of the time, you're going to get an extra 275 5* crystals from max sig crystals.

Is it possible that this debate and the "right" answer depends on where you are at in the game? I am not going to regularly hit 1-10% in arena. WAYYYY too much time especially for lower roster players. That just isn't a sustainable goal for many players. I mean how far along do you have to be to regularly get max sig crystals? Not noob or novice that's for sure. I will get those shards sooner (without doing 5hrs of arena a day) selling a few useless occasionally and completing special quests and Master until that roster is huge. Then sure, max sig away.

?

Arena is great but also a life sucker. The more life you want to have, the less arena you can do. So alternate methods of shards enters the picture.
  • Viper1987Viper1987 Posts: 728 ★★★

Is it possible that this debate and the "right" answer depends on where you are at in the game? I am not going to regularly hit 1-10% in arena. WAYYYY too much time especially for lower roster players. That just isn't a sustainable goal for many players. I mean how far along do you have to be to regularly get max sig crystals? Not noob or novice that's for sure. I will get those shards sooner (without doing 5hrs of arena a day) selling a few useless occasionally and completing special quests and Master until that roster is huge. Then sure, max sig away.

Sure, I might be farther along in my roster (I've been playing since the release), but it is still good advice. If you saved every 4* champ you got it does not take long to be able to compete in area for 1-10%. I mean, heck even 11-30% gives you 200 5* shards. It takes me 4-5 rounds to get to 5M (cutoff is usually about 4.5M) which is really only an hour or two a day of grinding. Not unreasonable, especially for those shards. Even someone with half my roster could do two rounds a day and be safe. Besides, this isn't advice for the beginner noob or novices. OP clearly has enough (or gets enough) 4* to where he doesn't need them and is selling them for 5*. He's way behind novice level.
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    Stewman wrote: »
    I am now bracing for the sure to ensue roasting.

Bottom line: does your strategy work? In the short term, it does. It earns 5* shards faster than holding and duping in the short and medium term. But a player that intends to play on long time scales probably shouldn't do this, because the strategy has a decent chance of being hurt by future changes to the availability of 4* champs which can only go upward. And it is an unsustainable strategy that puts the player in a tough position if they actually draw a 5* worth ranking, which appears to be the point of the strategy in the first place. Conclusion: it mathematically works, but only in a narrow set of circumstances that a player should really think about carefully before actually doing it, because there's lots of opportunities for regret later.

Also, there is a limit to how many alphas you can hold on to anyways. It seems like they are more readily available than they used to be. Still the strategy is to get the 5* roster so who's to say once you get to a point that the strategy doesn't change? I think you don't have to maintain the same strategy throughout your different phases of the game.
  • Mr_OtterMr_Otter Posts: 1,614 ★★★
    Yup burning Gold, ISO, T1A, Class catalysts, Basics…
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian

Bottom line: does your strategy work? In the short term, it does. It earns 5* shards faster than holding and duping in the short and medium term. But a player that intends to play on long time scales probably shouldn't do this, because the strategy has a decent chance of being hurt by future changes to the availability of 4* champs which can only go upward. And it is an unsustainable strategy that puts the player in a tough position if they actually draw a 5* worth ranking, which appears to be the point of the strategy in the first place. Conclusion: it mathematically works, but only in a narrow set of circumstances that a player should really think about carefully before actually doing it, because there's lots of opportunities for regret later.

Also, there is a limit to how many alphas you can hold on to anyways. It seems like they are more readily available than they used to be. Still the strategy is to get the 5* roster so who's to say once you get to a point that the strategy doesn't change? I think you don't have to maintain the same strategy throughout your different phases of the game.

In the same post you quote, I mention that it is possible doing this once or twice if and when you are overflowing with resources might be reasonable. But if we are discussing this as a viable strategy to get more 5* champions than you would otherwise it is unlikely to work, because it takes too many alphas.

If we both play identically but you sell and I don't, this strategy converts 23 alphas into one more 5* basic crystal. You are not likely at any level of play to have bunches of 23 alphas to burn. You might end up with one more 5* champ than me, maybe two. Meanwhile, I'm going to be in a better position to rank the ones I get up. I don't think that's a good trade in most levels of play.

There was a time I had more alphas than I could use. But in my entire playing career I haven't sold 23 alphas yet. It is possible in the past some players did. But with 5* availability rising, that is less likely to happen today. So you would be opening a 5* crystal bottleneck today at the expense of tightening a t1 alpha bottleneck in the future. And you're spending alphas today to widen a bottleneck the devs have been widening themselves.

I never suggested that the only bad thing was doing this strategy forever. I was pointing out that the strategy seemed to run into problems just doing it long enough to get one single extra 5* crystal, and more than one seemed unlikely to be workable. When a strategy runs out of gas at the number one, it becomes less of a strategy and more of a one-off event.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian

For players that cannot or do not want to put that much time into the arenas, it is still extremely valuable to make attempts to get to as many milestones as they can reach. They add up fast because you have four arenas to hit them in twice a week. Not just in terms of battlechips or crystal fragments, but also units. Units are essentially money that you can earn relatively quickly in the arena events.

In fact, my recommendation for casual players is go for milestones. If you have any spare time after doing the monthly events, the arena milestones are some of the most efficient ways to earn resources in a relatively short period of time. And you can do them at your own pace, and you can see your progress in the game as you march up the ladder of being able to get higher and higher milestone rewards for the same amount of time spent.

The day when you can knock out that T4B with 1.1 million points in a relatively short period of time is a good day for everyone.
  • I_am_GrootI_am_Groot Posts: 646 ★★
    @Stewman
    @The1_NuclearOnion

Maybe you have said it but I'm reading faster skipping the texts or forgetting things.
    When you started doing this strategy? How many 4*s, 5*s do you have?.

I understand your points, it seem like this strategy could fit for people according to their schedules and it could work for me, so I want to know what I could expect.
    edited October 2017

In the same post you quote, I mention that it is possible doing this once or twice if and when you are overflowing with resources might be reasonable. But if we are discussing this as a viable strategy to get more 5* champions than you would otherwise it is unlikely to work, because it takes too many alphas.

If we both play identically but you sell and I don't, this strategy converts 23 alphas into one more 5* basic crystal. You are not likely at any level of play to have bunches of 23 alphas to burn. You might end up with one more 5* champ than me, maybe two. Meanwhile, I'm going to be in a better position to rank the ones I get up. I don't think that's a good trade in most levels of play.

There was a time I had more alphas than I could use. But in my entire playing career I haven't sold 23 alphas yet. It is possible in the past some players did. But with 5* availability rising, that is less likely to happen today. So you would be opening a 5* crystal bottleneck today at the expense of tightening a t1 alpha bottleneck in the future. And you're spending alphas today to widen a bottleneck the devs have been widening themselves.

I never suggested that the only bad thing was doing this strategy forever. I was pointing out that the strategy seemed to run into problems just doing it long enough to get one single extra 5* crystal, and more than one seemed unlikely to be workable. When a strategy runs out of gas at the number one, it becomes less of a strategy and more of a one-off event.

I get what you're saying but I haven't ran into the alpha problem yet. So I'm suggesting that in many cases the resources you need at lower rosters for those who do not have the time to arena 3-4 hrs a day, are obtained often in quests and special content that you often need special champs or higher * ones to complete reasonably. The SOONER you have them the SOONER you get access to that content and resources.
    Look it works for me, I can kill bosses, LOVE my roster, complete Master mode no problem now, and I am NOT an arena grinder for lack of the time. Maybe there's a niche for others.
    Consequently, now that my roster is much stronger via this method, arena milestones are much easier to obtain in much shorter time and more of an option now. It is a time thing really.
  • StewmanStewman Posts: 735 ★★★
    @DHCVoLt I think you are missing some variables in your math...

Sell ONE champ (pulled one time) for 425 (second time for 850) while admittedly ranking up both times.
    or
    pull champ 2 times (duping once) for a total of 275
    @I_am_Groot I started doing this when all of my 3*s were maxed (sig and rank)and nearly every 4* I had was at least r3. I would completely be guessing if I said how many 4*s I have. but I have most of them minus some of the last few months new champs. ( I don't grind arena. but put up 8 mil for the first round of iceman)
    I have 28 5/50
    25 5* - 3 r4 10 r3
  • Hulk_77Hulk_77 Posts: 782 ★★★
    I used to sell my 4*s on the regular, but now I'm too broke to rank them to r3 even (gold and alphas both).

Of course, I have 30 5*s now, and that's why. And part of why I have 30 5*s is because I farmed my 4*s for shards.
  • Prince520Prince520 Posts: 2
    I lost my four star nebula by mistake my little brother just sell it guys reply and answer me how can i get back my superstar
  • Captain_NietschCaptain_Nietsch Posts: 481 ★★

Couldn't agree more. Many of us just don't have the time to spare to grind Arenas. Between working 8 hours a day and commuting (by car), cooking, working out every day, cleaning the house, washing, looking after the garden and so on... (You get what I mean.. wink:)
    I guess the choices on how you prioritize in the game is very individual.
    I find it good, and interesting that some have concluded its worth to sell a few 4* for them.
  • mum_m2mum_m2 Posts: 1,776 ★★★★
    Yeah I know this is one of the first original debates, and I know that this is an old post - a youtuber just put a tips guide out there for beginners and one of those tips was to never sell champs etc.

If you're extremely casual into the game, then selling champs has benefits. But if you're in the game for the long haul, then just don't do it.
  • cx23433cx23433 Posts: 465 ★★
    Prince520 wrote: »
    I lost my four star nebula by mistake my little brother just sell it guys reply and answer me how can i get back my superstar

dude
  • Duke_SilverDuke_Silver Posts: 2,421 ★★★★
    I only sell 4* champs if I'm just off by a hundred or so shards to a 5* and I lose my patience.
  • ChubzChubz Posts: 115
    YOU HAVE WASTED (x) AMOUNT RESOURCES MULTIPLIED BY 6

NOTE: THE TOTAL AMOUNT IT TAKES TO RANK UP TO 3

GOLD - 499,710
    T3BC - 54
    T3CC - 6
    T2CC - 18
    T1AC - 6

p72qta3bbnnn.png
    Chubz wrote: »
    YOU HAVE WASTED (x) AMOUNT RESOURCES MULTIPLIED BY 6

NOTE: THE TOTAL AMOUNT IT TAKES TO RANK UP TO 3

GOLD - 499,710
    T3BC - 54
    T3CC - 6
    T2CC - 18
    T1AC - 6

p72qta3bbnnn.png

This thread is over a year old. But I will respond anyways.
    "Wasted is a subjective term"
    It has already been covered that if you can't afford to "waste" those resources, that selling She Hulk over and over isn't for you.

And again this was a year ago. When the shard availability wasn't anything like it is now.

I only started this thread to show that with proper planning, selling champs could be worth it in a limited set of circumstances.
  • K1lltasticK1lltastic Posts: 674 ★★★
    edited October 2018
    I sell any champ I dupe as a 5*+

I have one 1* (summoner symbiote)
    Six 2* (one of each class, duped, to dump sig stones into for item use)
    Six 3* (same as 2*)
    4* every champ at 3/30+

I could car less bout keeping trash champs I don’t use, and I’d rather have the shards to get more 5* than keep all that trash.

Lol
  • Just curious, what are the rewards for selling 4*s at the different ranks? After reading this thread I went to my 4* Joe Fixit (rank 1, have done nothing with him) to see the sell value, but the game does not tell you the rewards in advance.
    Just curious, what are the rewards for selling 4*s at the different ranks? After reading this thread I went to my 4* Joe Fixit (rank 1, have done nothing with him) to see the sell value, but the game does not tell you the rewards in advance.

If you hit the sell button it will give you a "are you sure promt" and show you what you would get.

By memory so I could be wrong.
    r2 is 250
    r3 450
    r4 650

• Helicopter_dugdugdugHelicopter_dugdugdug Posts: 555 ★★★
    I used to see weight on both sides of this argument but since Kabam gave out rewards based on the total champ rating, came up with 2* special arena and danger rooms, I can no longer advise anyone of selling. I haven’t even started talking about the gold shortage which is acute if you don’t get the gold from selling excess dupe ISO
  • SidDDragonSidDDragon Posts: 1,183 ★★★
    Urs is not a bad strategy as far as 5* shards go...but duping a 4* gives iso along with shards..which inturn will either help u with rankups or u can sell excess iso for gold...and gold is one of those resources which is always welcome for almost all players of this game...plus u are spending gold and iso to rankup a champ to 3/30 most of which u lose when u sell that champ...so yes if ur focus is only 5* shards,selling is not a bad strat but considering all the other resources,u might lose a bit