**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Attacker Ban in AW?

13»

Comments

• Options
    BigManOnCampusBigManOnCampus Posts: 376 ★★★

ItsDamien said:

Thinking that only a select few champs will be banned is shortsighted. You'd ban the champs who would be most effective for your defenders, or even ban synergy champs that lower the efficacy of other champs. This could be utilised in some very cool ways if you give it some thought.

Yeah it opens up all sorts of strategies

You could place a horrific mystic defence and ban torch. Or place a metal defence and ban mags
    i think it's a excellent feature that will require some strategy !
  • Options
    TimeGenesisTimeGenesis Posts: 732 ★★★
    I agree to having limits for attacker bans, maybe 2-3 at most for d season?

Since they are introducing attacker bans, why not also limit d number of times champs can be used as defenders too? It would definitely spice up aw imho

And ofc tools to help ldrs and officers to organize all of these
  • Options
    DeaconDeacon Posts: 4,068 ★★★★★
    i'm actually kinda a fan of this.
  • Options
    pseudosanepseudosane Posts: 3,818 Guardian
    edited September 2021
    I can see the top bans being Quake doom and a certain unsung hero.
  • Options
    Bugmat78Bugmat78 Posts: 2,139 ★★★★★

Better attacker bans stopping you use a few champions, than true focus stopping you use 20.

At least attacker bans are in the hands of the player

That's not true. You just couldn't use these particular champs in the boss island. You could use them in the rest of the map though. Plus you could actually use Ghost in the boss island, you just had to play with intercepts-parry.

But from now on, the banned champ won't be able to even enter the map. So you can't use him at all. That's a huge change
    I'm hoping they will make this more than just a blanket ban, and in the same way true focus was on boss islands, the attacker bans can be limited to the boss island... they haven't given all the details but that would be by suggestion (if they can code & implement) so these champs can still be used on paths.
  • Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    Bugmat78 said:

Better attacker bans stopping you use a few champions, than true focus stopping you use 20.

At least attacker bans are in the hands of the player

That's not true. You just couldn't use these particular champs in the boss island. You could use them in the rest of the map though. Plus you could actually use Ghost in the boss island, you just had to play with intercepts-parry.

But from now on, the banned champ won't be able to even enter the map. So you can't use him at all. That's a huge change
    I'm hoping they will make this more than just a blanket ban, and in the same way true focus was on boss islands, the attacker bans can be limited to the boss island... they haven't given all the details but that would be by suggestion (if they can code & implement) so these champs can still be used on paths.
    Yeah I’ve given the same suggestion before.

You could make it so that champions who are banned can’t get attack bonuses on boss island.

So use quake and ghost on the path, that’s fine, they get full points. But if you use them on boss island, they won’t get any bonus points for attack bonuses, essentially dying three times.
  • Options
    Bugmat78Bugmat78 Posts: 2,139 ★★★★★
    edited September 2021
    Yep that's good too. You might clear but losing all those fight bonuses for "cheating" by using banned attackers.

I think the suggestions on limits on bans is good too. 12 wars so you can only ban a champ 6 times per season or something.
  • Options
    I think it’s an interesting concept, if it’s something that you pick in placement phase as well it can determine your placement in S3 for example.
  • Options
    TyphoonTyphoon Posts: 1,751 ★★★★★
    I'm down. Power to the people!
  • Options
    World EaterWorld Eater Posts: 3,572 ★★★★★
    What is all this with reference to??? Can someone please provide a link ?
  • Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
  • Options
    LilMaddogHTLilMaddogHT Posts: 1,166 ★★★★
    I'm excited about this change. It's like we were playing checkers but now upgraded to chess. Strategy is one of my favorite components to this game. I like that the control of what is banned is given to us, the players, and we can experiment with it. With 200+ champs, there will be options. Some make take more time and you might actually have to fight more than the crazy boosted 10-20 second fight but will still work fine.

If you feel like you HAVE to play you favorite champ(s) for war - well there are always the tiers that don't play on the Expert or Challenger map, where you can go have your fun. ;)
  • Options
    GoddessIliasGoddessIlias Posts: 706 ★★★★
    Relax, most people will ban doom and torch before banning ghost anyway prob
  • Options
    BigManOnCampusBigManOnCampus Posts: 376 ★★★
    Funny how people was crying over true focus and saying just ban ghost & quake , those same people want to limit the bans to a few every season . Wait ... What ? :D
  • Options
    Wicket329Wicket329 Posts: 3,029 ★★★★★
    edited September 2021
    I think people are being very narrow minded on these bans, assuming that Quake and Ghost are the obvious ban choices. Maybe they are. But how about placing a ton of evasive/autoblock/miss champs and banning all the best counters to that? Placing Havok and banning champs like Warlock and Colossus? Placing Hyperion or Dragon Man or any other power gain champ and banning the best power controllers?

My point is that getting creative with the ban system and your defense could lead to a lot of challenging matchups. Many high level wars are decided by only a couple mistakes. The ban system doesn’t need to target those most obvious cases, it will likely be used to force mistakes along the way.

I remember when Corvus was the end-all be-all of Alliance War. I had to make sure I wasn’t creating lanes that had an avenger plus a mutant or tech champion on them. If I could have just banned Corvus instead, I’d have had so much more freedom to design my defense. I like attacker bans for this reason.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 5,476 ★★★★★
    Wicket329 said:

I think people are being very narrow minded on these bans, assuming that Quake and Ghost are the obvious ban choices. Maybe they are. But how about placing a ton of evasive/autoblock/miss champs and banning all the best counters to that? Placing Havok and banning champs like Warlock and Colossus? Placing Hyperion or Dragon Man or any other power gain champ and banning the best power controllers?

My point is that getting creative with the ban system and your defense could lead to a lot of challenging matchups. Many high level wars are decided by only a couple mistakes. The ban system doesn’t need to target those most obvious cases, it will likely be used to force mistakes along the way.

I remember when Corvus was the end-all be-all of Alliance War. I had to make sure I wasn’t creating lanes that had an avenger plus a mutant or tech champion on them. If I could have just banned Corvus instead, I’d have had so much more freedom to design my defense. I like attacker bans for this reason.

Three words for all the combos you thought of to block. 1) Ghost 2) Hood 3) Wasp

Majority of match ups are cheesed by ghost and quake. People can just leave up hazard shift node on the boss and KO it in 30 seconds. It would be foolish to not ban those two.
  • Options
    Wicket329Wicket329 Posts: 3,029 ★★★★★
    edited September 2021
    Jaded said:

Wicket329 said:

Three words for all the combos you thought of to block. 1) Ghost 2) Hood 3) Wasp

Majority of match ups are cheesed by ghost and quake. People can just leave up hazard shift node on the boss and KO it in 30 seconds. It would be foolish to not ban those two.
    I mean, I’m not sitting here coming up with an exhaustive list of all possible defenses that could be placed. We have no idea what the tactics/global node situation will be like when this actually rolls out, so the speculation is futile at the moment. But my point is that there are defenders you can place that may demand other counters, and an alliance may be best served by banning those counters. Terrax on a power gain node comes to mind, for example.

Also, the AW boss always had True Strike in the past. No reason to assume that won’t make a comeback.
  • Options
    LilMaddogHTLilMaddogHT Posts: 1,166 ★★★★
    Wicket329 said:

Also, the AW boss always had True Strike in the past. No reason to assume that won’t make a comeback.

Actually, the current AW boss has both True Strike & True Focus right now. They never removed True Strike when they added True Focus.
  • Options
    Jrtiger23Jrtiger23 Posts: 37
    The back issues have restrictions, well, it is a one time thing.
    The whole chapter 6 have restrictions that really pissed off players then they toned down the difficulty.
    Now, AW attackers been slapped on with a ban, that really ticked me off!

They could have reduced the amount of items used during AW to make it more intense, they could have stay put like last season, give players some better gaming experience before they fix the frame lagging issue which cost the whole parry dex problem.

This is not a band to AW, it is just a sign that they are not answering the players needs, and their own agenda!

So disappointed.