**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Please keep mastery resets free!

Dwhalen8554Dwhalen8554 Posts: 301 ★★★
edited March 2022 in Suggestions and Requests
As the title suggests…please keep mastery resets free even after battleground SS beta is over. I love being able to switch back and forth!
Post edited by Kabam Ahab on

Comments

• ChovnerChovner Posts: 1,139 ★★★★★
    Yeah having to pay to reset them each time is a bad cash (unit) grab
  • Denslo500Denslo500 Posts: 903 ★★★
    I’m enjoying the freedom to use different champs.
    I would definitely want to rank more champs, if I could swap masteries this easy
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    thepiggy said:

I doubt they're making that much money on them. Lol.
  • Texas_11Texas_11 Posts: 2,638 ★★★★★
    Agree with it being free.

Honestly I don't mind paying units if I could save my settings.

• designsodadesignsoda Posts: 118

thepiggy said:

I doubt they're making that much money on them. Lol.
    Great so you agree if it's all the same they should be free. 👍

Anyway I second this. They should be free. And presets are way overdue. You got this Kabam. I believe in you.
  • designsodadesignsoda Posts: 118
    Fire_3 said:

I feel like war would be harder, people removing Suicides, playing max limber and SYG before placing.

Yes. Good.
  • TheTalentsTheTalents Posts: 2,254 ★★★★★
    thepiggy said:

A lot of people had no clue how easily Kabam can turn off mastery costs. I think it really takes the fun out of the game when you have to make a business decision on whether a fight is worth redoing masteries or not.

Kabam would get a lot of points with the community if they remove the costs because it is long overdue. With all of the bugs and recent lack on content that is an easy win for the community and they can sell it as such.

100% with you, but it's clearly a business decision.

I wonder about the total amount of units the player base uses on mastery changes in a week, it could be huge. They also make fights easier so less deaths and item use and players might buy less units for offers. It could have a huge trickle down effect that we don't know about.

With that said, make changes free! Or just charge a lot for templates to make up for the loss of revenue. I wouldn't mind spending 1-2k units for one.
    I'm actually fully aware of the impact free masteries will have. It will make the game easier across the board and you can implore many different setups just for specific matchups.

I feel as a 7 year player and above who's spent thousands of dollars on the game we should receive this by now. I would pay 5k units to be able to unlock this in game. I'm sure players will pay even more than that to not worry about it. They can make one huge profit if they sell this a game option. Make it apart of the monthly package and charge 20 bucks instead of 10 if they're worried about the money.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    thepiggy said:

A lot of people had no clue how easily Kabam can turn off mastery costs. I think it really takes the fun out of the game when you have to make a business decision on whether a fight is worth redoing masteries or not.

Kabam would get a lot of points with the community if they remove the costs because it is long overdue. With all of the bugs and recent lack on content that is an easy win for the community and they can sell it as such.

100% with you, but it's clearly a business decision.
    It isn't a business decision, at least not primarily: they almost certainly don't make much on mastery swaps, because mastery swaps are not a very common practice.

The primary reason is a purely game design issue. This is not the only game with this sort of restriction. Even games that don't charge for such changes restrict them in other ways that prevent them from happening while earning zero revenue. The reason is the same reason we don't just end up earning enough mastery points to turn them all on. If the logic is that once the player pays to unlock them they should be able to use them however they want, why don't people also ask for enough mastery points to turn them all on if they want (actually, scratch that: some people do).

Mastery swaps aren't free because mastery swaps existing at all is a compromise. The point to the mastery system is to present a choice to the player, or a set of them. Pick this, you can't have that. Take this, you get the benefits but also the deficits of that mastery. Players are supposed to make choices and then live with them. That's why the maximum number of mastery points earnable is carefully selected to ensure you can't have everything, or even a majority of everything without making sacrifices. Many games don't even allow any such respecification changes: they go to the extreme of not allowing such respecification decisions at all, at any cost.

Since there are issues with locking players into those decisions permanently, and those are compounded by the evolution of the game where different game modes place completely different pressures on mastery setups, the game allows for mastery changes up to a point. You can do them, but they'll cost. So players have to weigh the benefits of swapping with the costs incurred with swapping.

None of this is revenue driven: in fact it is much cheaper to respecify masteries now than in the past as many of the unit costs were removed. The cost is not there to make money, it is to make mastery configuration "sticky" so players have to stick with their decisions and live with them most of the time.

Designing and enforcing consequences into player decisions is a fundamental game design principle. It is why mastery changes aren't free, it is why rank down tickets are most non-existent, it is even one of the primary bases for why we have fixed inventory capacity. A lot of design decisions in this game are influenced by monetization, but this isn't one of them.
  • tklmctklmc Posts: 54
    I like playing with different champs and trying different masteries, for example max fury via cosmics, mystic dispersion via mystics, turn on&off suicides for corvus, omega etc. But those high prices keep me away from doing that and forces me to stuck in one mastery setup, that's not cool