**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Gwenpool nerf

Comments

• Options
    FPC3 wrote: »
    I know I like to use her Heavy prior to firing off Sp2 to ensure that I apply that long bleed so my enervate doesn't fall off if I get unlucky RNG, and this change kills that.

Miike, why not change it so that it's a 5% chance *if Enervate is already active* ?

Actually, I think Gwenpool should still work fine for you. If I understand what you are doing, and I understand the nerf correctly, what you are doing is using the heavy to convert a bleed into the super-long bleed. That effect kicks in if the target is already bleeding and you use a heavy, and it gives you a 23 second bleed effect which works well with enervate. That seems to be not changing. The effect that is changing is the chance to proc a bleed if the target isn't bleeding yet with the heavy attack, which is a regular short bleed stack (5 seconds) which I think is not what you are doing to elongate the enervate debuff.

I don't think the nerf is going to radically change what you are doing because if the target isn't bleeding yet, you can still do a combo to get the initial bleed stack then parry-heavy to get the long bleed. The only thing you can't do is keep chaining heavies in the corner to get a bleed, convert the bleed to the long bleed, refresh enervate continuously, and keep the target drained to zero and cornered indefinitely.
  • Options
    BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Posts: 2,281 ★★★★★
    From the video, where does the bleed come in? That looked like an issue with the heavy animation and not anything to do with the bleed.
  • Options
    QwertyQwerty Posts: 636 ★★★
    91KiX wrote: »
    I guess what OP is trying to say is we don’t care WHY you’re changing anything, rather don’t change anything at all. To make things worse, you insult us by trying to slide it in there without telling everyone. Shameless

it's in the changelog, how is that not telling everyone? are you expecting a personal phone call?
  • Options
    WatdenWatden Posts: 54
    edited November 2017
    DaMunk wrote: »
    Watden wrote: »
    I'm genuinely confused here, everyone wants rank down tickets because gwenpool was nerfed to stop an exploit, to do what with? R5 their punisher?

It's not as if they completely ruined gwenpool as a character, she's still a top skill champion

To each their own I guess.

Read my complaint. It's not that they fixed an exploit but they did it in a lazy way and made her heavy completely different.

As far as I'm seeing she still has the same heavy attack but instead you can't stun chain them indefinitely.

Oh my God Kabam removed my unpunishable heavies, dear lord what will I do!

It's not as if heavy attacks are supposed to be... Oh God don't say it... punishable???
    From the video, where does the bleed come in? That looked like an issue with the heavy animation and not anything to do with the bleed.

It's probably Ai behavior, instead of attempting to push themselves out the corner via special, they either immediately block or prep for a light attack but get hit with a heavy.

Only way to make sure it was a case with the bleed will be to attempt recreating it post patch.
  • Options
    QwertyQwerty Posts: 636 ★★★

bleed is used to refresh enervate, which makes it so the AI cannot stop the heavy attack since the only way out of it is a special attack, or in pvp cases a lucky heavy attack resist on all 3 hits.
  • Options
    Addyos wrote: »
    It isn't a case of the animation or anything. Any Champion can pin an opponent in the corner and keep them there with a series of heavy attacks.

The only way your opponent is able to get out of that corner is to throw a Special attack. Now, where this exploitable loop came in, is if Gwenpool had placed an Enervate on the opponent, and continuously applied a bleed through the use of her heavy in the corner, then Enervate would reapply every time it expired, permanently locking the opponent's power, never allowing them to throw a special attack, or even stand up and get out of the corner.

This was the smallest possible change we could make to Gwenpool, and addresses one of the smallest use cases for her attacks. So it was either this, or rework her Enervate, which is arguably much much more important to most players and her core gameplay kit.

Since my last comment went into forum purgatory, I'm reposting this.

Miike, you do know this is how Magik works with her Sp2, to power lock opponents and keep them against a wall. By this logic, she should be nerfed too. I am MOST definitely not calling for her to be nerfed, just pointing out the similarity. She also cannot Enervate a bleed-immune opponent and you yourself state that this is "one of her smallest use of her attacks". So why make this change in the first place?

Actually, I don't think Magik can do this in the same way. The critical difference is that Gwenpool can simply chain heavies continuously once in rhythm to maintain the enervate and keep the target at zero power. Magik has to reapply SP2. Switching from chaining heavies to using a special attack gives the target an opportunity to block the special. It is possible that with absolutely perfect timing you could still pull this off, but I think it would have to be frame-accurate timing which I don't think is something a human being could reliably do all the time. Gwenpool doesn't need perfect timing because there is a larger window to queue up the heavy which can't be interrupted by a block when it is released, because heavies break blocks.

• Options
    Goken2345Goken2345 Posts: 621 ★★
    How often does that really happen? Plus why can't you just use dexterity and dodge her heavy attack. Best option: don't get put in the corner. No one puts baby in a corner.
    It isn't a case of the animation or anything. Any Champion can pin an opponent in the corner and keep them there with a series of heavy attacks.

The only way your opponent is able to get out of that corner is to throw a Special attack. Now, where this exploitable loop came in, is if Gwenpool had placed an Enervate on the opponent, and continuously applied a bleed through the use of her heavy in the corner, then Enervate would reapply every time it expired, permanently locking the opponent's power, never allowing them to throw a special attack, or even stand up and get out of the corner.

This was the smallest possible change we could make to Gwenpool, and addresses one of the smallest use cases for her attacks. So it was either this, or rework her Enervate, which is arguably much much more important to most players and her core gameplay kit.
  • Options

What game do you play, that's not the only way to get out of the corner.

If the player is cornering the computer effectively, which is the scenario that @Kabam Miike seems to be addressing, as far as I am aware the AI has only two ways out of the corner (separate from a mistake on the part of the player). One: use a special. Two: block, and resist block break (if the computer opponent has that ability). There are no other ways for the computer to get out of the corner if the player executes a perfect heavy chain for most computer controlled champions (I don't know if Medusa can auto block her way out of this, in terms of corner case exceptions).

Since you are normally giving power to the enemy while attacking, the enemy can usually only be cornered for a limited amount of time before they have enough energy to free themselves. Gwenpool is the only attacker I can think of off the top of my head that can essentially power lock with continuous heavies. Everything else needs to do something other than a heavy to maintain zero power indefinitely. On top of that, Gwenpool's heavy attack is a sequence of hits that is more likely to break a block even if the opponent has a block break resist ability.
  • Options
    Goken2345 wrote: »
    How often does that really happen? Plus why can't you just use dexterity and dodge her heavy attack. Best option: don't get put in the corner. No one puts baby in a corner.

I'm pretty sure they are not specifically worried about the computer cornering the player with chain heavy (the computer doesn't try to do that indefinitely, at least that I've observed). They are talking about the case where the player corners the computer and then makes it impossible for the AI to do anything at all while the player kills the champion in the corner.
  • Options
    caligarelinquocaligarelinquo Posts: 218
    One thing for sure when you make an announcement like this you're bound to have a lot of reaction congratulations mission accomplished Kabam
  • Options
    Nexus_UY_ScutiNexus_UY_Scuti Posts: 480 ★★
    So this is a very obvious nerf to the Gwenpool, and some players might have ranked her up due to her unique heavy attack advantage.

When will we be getting Rank Down Tickets?
  • Options
    PFunkPFunk Posts: 111
    This is bogus! I’ve spent so many resources on gwenpool! This is clearly a nerf! Put her back or the community will respond!
  • Options
    So this is a very obvious nerf to the Gwenpool, and some players might have ranked her up due to her unique heavy attack advantage.

When will we be getting Rank Down Tickets?

Never
    PFunk wrote: »
    This is bogus! I’ve spent so many resources on gwenpool! This is clearly a nerf! Put her back or the community will respond!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
  • Options

I think there are many players that aren't fully aware of what's going on, so an explanation is probably in order.

If you've never seen this tactic before, you might think that it is the tactic itself that is being nerfed, or it is something special to Gwenpool. That's not true. What's going on is this: the player is pushing the computer close to the right side wall. Then they are chaining heavy attacks repeatedly. This is something the player can do with basically any champion. The important thing to note is that heavy attacks break blocks and generally knock the opponent down.

If you do this in the middle of the playing field, the enemy gets knocked backward and away from you. But if you do this up against the right wall, the enemy can't get knocked away very far. While they fall down and then try to get back up they can't attack. You can attack, and if you time it right you can get off a free combo while the enemy cannot fight back. But sometimes the enemy immediately puts up a block as they get off the floor, and that block will block your combo, and will also block any special you try to use.

That's where heavy chaining comes in. If you repeatedly use heavies, you can break that block. So the first heavy knocks them down, and then every successive heavy breaks any block they might try to use, landing the next attack. You can then land attacks over and over again. The computer cannot stop this chain of heavies with blocking. So the computer has one last thing it can do: it can queue up a special attack. The special will trigger as the computer opponent gets up and will interrupt your heavy and land on you. This will break your ability to chain heavies once the computer has enough power.

Up to this point, I'm describing every champion that exists. You can do this with pretty much any champion against any champion. The tactic works up to a point, but eventually the computer can free itself with a special attack. And since you are giving the computer power by attacking, that will eventually happen. But Gwenpool has the antidote for this. Gwenpool can land enervate which causes the enemy to no longer gain power from your attacks. If the target is enervated, you can chain heavies forever and now the computer cannot use a special to get out of the chain. All you need to do is make sure enervate lasts forever. Enervate has finite duration, but if the target is bleeding when enervate expires, the enervate "eats" the bleed effect and refreshes itself.

So, if you corner the enemy, land enervate, and then chain together heavy attacks, and the heavy attacks consistently reapply bleeds then enervate will last forever, the heavy chain will be repeatable forever, and the computer is permanently stuck in the corner unable to do anything. As far as I know, this issue is currently unique to Gwenpool. Other champions can permanently power lock the computer - Magik and Voodoo in particular - but they cannot simultaneously power lock and corner-heavy. They have to break the heavy cycle to use a special and that special is theoretically blockable by the computer. Gwenpool needs to use a special initially, but once in the heavy cycle she can repeat heavies forever.
  • Options
    Superman69Superman69 Posts: 534 ★★★
    To all the people asking for rank-down tickets, i think kabam should rank their gwenpools down to 3/30 as a 4* and R2 as a 5* ( that is, if they even have either of those in the first place) and lock her at that rank permanently. And give them back all the resources that they had used to rank her up. So they can use it on their DD Netflix(s), Winter Soldiers, Black Panthers, Punishers etc cause they are clearly much better than GP now.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★
    I'm genuinely confused here, everyone wants rank down tickets because gwenpool was nerfed to stop an exploit, to do what with? R5 their punisher?

It's not as if they completely ruined gwenpool as a character, she's still a top skill champion

It's a matter of principle. For a game that offers in-game purchases, all in-game resources may br directly or indirectly purchased with money and those resources will be spent on ranking up champions based on their ability at that point of time.

By making their ability worse, or reducing its effectiveness, players will feel slighted that what they have spent on was not what they get.

To prevent this, either design the character once and get it right, never changing it, or give a form of refund to the players who have ranked up champions who ate no longer what they are.

Even if they nerf Spider Gwen or Iron Patriot they should be giving out rank down tickets.

How else can the player base be sure that they can spend money on the game to get what they were promised without having to worry about Kabam changing that character completely the next day?

If something can be expoited, it's pretty sure that it will be dealt with. That's the principle here. A Champ is not supposed to guarantee Wins through any mechanic. That makes said Champ unbeatable.
  • Options
    Superman69 wrote: »
    To all the people asking for rank-down tickets, i think kabam should rank their gwenpools down to 3/30 as a 4* and R2 as a 5* ( that is, if they even have either of those in the first place) and lock her at that rank permanently. And give them back all the resources that they had used to rank her up. So they can use it on their DD Netflix(s), Winter Soldiers, Black Panthers, Punishers etc cause they are clearly much better than GP now.

Those champs might not be better than GP, but Thor Ragnarok might be. If so, i'll gladly rank down a champion that is no longer as effective for one which is better. Which is something that i'd have done in the first place if GP started off with that 5% chance instead of 50%.

Rank down tickets should not be given based on the severity of the nerf. Any changes to the character would warrant a rank down ticket. Simply because what i spend on is no longer what i get, no matter how insignificant the different may be.

If we let Kabam get away with this, it will set a precedence for them to nerf ANY champ in ANY way without having to give RTDs.

"But the GP nerf wasn't that bad, so we didn't ask for RTDs. This change is much worse than that so we want RTDs!" isn't exactly a strong argument.

So be very careful on what type of precedence we are setting for Kabam, because they will use it as a benchmark of community response for future decisions.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

It's a matter of principle. For a game that offers in-game purchases, all in-game resources may br directly or indirectly purchased with money and those resources will be spent on ranking up champions based on their ability at that point of time.

By making their ability worse, or reducing its effectiveness, players will feel slighted that what they have spent on was not what they get.

To prevent this, either design the character once and get it right, never changing it, or give a form of refund to the players who have ranked up champions who ate no longer what they are.

Even if they nerf Spider Gwen or Iron Patriot they should be giving out rank down tickets.

How else can the player base be sure that they can spend money on the game to get what they were promised without having to worry about Kabam changing that character completely the next day?

Yeah, they don't owe you rank down tickets because they fixed an exploit, nor would they be required to give you rank down tickets, seeing they can terminate your account at any moment seeing it's basically their property, no matter how much you've spent.

If this exploit never existed and they changed the effectiveness of the bleed, then you'd have a case for "deserving rank down tickets"

Whether or not a company refunds you on changing how a character works is up to them, I've played plenty of games where someone or something was nerfed and no compensation was given.

Suck it up, your infinite heavies are gone and you're not getting rank down tickets.

In the end your squealing for compensation because your game breaking mechanic was removed, and you're just using the bleed as a platform to attempt to gain compensation. Heavies in almost all cases are useless, the only reason you're using them on gwenpool is of the exploit, you have no arguments here.

Pull up the part of the ToS where it states Kabam owes you any compensation for alterations made to characters, but let's be honest neither of us read it.
  • Options

Yeah, they don't owe you rank down tickets because they fixed an exploit, nor would they be required to give you rank down tickets, seeing they can terminate your account at any moment seeing it's basically their property, no matter how much you've spent.

If this exploit never existed and they changed the effectiveness of the bleed, then you'd have a case for "deserving rank down tickets"

Whether or not a company refunds you on changing how a character works is up to them, I've played plenty of games where someone or something was nerfed and no compensation was given.

Suck it up, your infinite heavies are gone and you're not getting rank down tickets.

In the end your squealing for compensation because your game breaking mechanic was removed, and you're just using the bleed as a platform to attempt to gain compensation. Heavies in almost all cases are useless, the only reason you're using them on gwenpool is of the exploit, you have no arguments here.
    It's not an exploit if that's how it was designed in the first place.

If they decide to reduce the effectiveness of Starlord's signature ability because they see it as an "exploit" because all players use it to get through majority of the contents, you will just let them "fix" it without asking for anything?

If they don't owe me anything they wouldn't need a feedback forum since they can bloody well do ehatever they want without taking into consideration of players' feelings.

So why don't you move along while i continue to state my feedback?
  • Options
    :-l
  • Options
    Doomsfist79Doomsfist79 Posts: 922 ★★★
    Superman69 wrote: »
    Guys, stop making it such a big deal. Because it's not. I have a r5 GP, who i grinded from arena and used a skill awakening gem on plus some stones, so i spent a lot of resources on mine, and still i don't think it's THAT big of a deal. You rarely use her heavies anyways. Just L3 and then they're dead in a few combos.

And that corner exploit wasn't even that good anyways. I saw a video of 4* r5 GP vs RoL WS, it took 600+ hits. So basically useless in AQ/AW etc.

People are acting like they nerfed AA's heavy. Now if his bleed % is reduced to 5 on heavies, that would be a problem.

Just because something isn't a problem for YOU.. doesn't mean it's it NOT a problem.
  • Options
    DaMunkDaMunk Posts: 1,883 ★★★★
    ForumGuy wrote: »

It's a lazy fix, reducing gp's full capacity. They need to bring the bleed chance up a bit more, not to 50% like it was before, but not 5%. 10-15% wouldn't be bad right?

It is a lazy fix. That's my biggest issue with it. It's as if he got to leave work for a long weekend once the "exploit" was fixed. Miike even stated it was the easiest fix. It literally took 10 minutes on the forums before someone came up with a better idea.
  • Options

It's not an exploit if that's how it was designed in the first place.

If they decide to reduce the effectiveness of Starlord's signature ability because they see it as an "exploit" because all players use it to get through majority of the contents, you will just let them "fix" it without asking for anything?

If they don't owe me anything they wouldn't need a feedback forum since they can bloody well do ehatever they want without taking into consideration of players' feelings.

So why don't you move along while i continue to state my feedback?

Never knew never allowing the Ai to hit you wasn't an exploit, I guess Kabam fully intended gwenpool to be the untouchable, "you get pushed into a corner and never touch me" champion.

Buddy, if they saw star-lords signature ability as an exploit I think it would've been nerfed already, there's a difference between being a good character and having a exploitable interaction with the Ai, not to mention anyone can spam heavies, but you actually require a brain to make use of star-lords signature.

In this scenario, they don't owe you anything nor are you getting anything, you can squeal all you want but you're not getting anything, make hypothetical situations all you want, but you're not getting those rank down tickets my friend.
  • Options
    ForumGuyForumGuy Posts: 285 ★★
    DaMunk wrote: »
    ForumGuy wrote: »

It's a lazy fix, reducing gp's full capacity. They need to bring the bleed chance up a bit more, not to 50% like it was before, but not 5%. 10-15% wouldn't be bad right?

It is a lazy fix. That's my biggest issue with it. It's as if he got to leave work for a long weekend once the "exploit" was fixed. Miike even stated it was the easiest fix. It literally took 10 minutes on the forums before someone came up with a better idea.

E X A C T L Y
  • Options
    NDK13NDK13 Posts: 620 ★★
    totally expected this.....not gonna lie my gwenpool at 5/50....sad to see you go
    RIP gwenpool jan 2017-nov 2017
  • Options
    RehctansBewRehctansBew Posts: 442 ★★★
    So with such a giant nerf, I should expect a refund or rank down ticket. This is killing her ability to bleed out opponents and instead of fixing it by simply removing the envirate buff or preventing it from looping on bleeds you completely kill one of her strong points? I’ll will await an RDT before approaching Apple for my units spent getting her and ranking her up. Oh and your timing is impeccable with her release as a basic 5 Star in 3 days.
  • Options
    CapWW2CapWW2 Posts: 2,901 ★★★★
    edited November 2017
    How about heavy ability cool down that behaves like falcon or crossbones? @Kabam Miike

How about reducing the time of the bleed to be shorter?

How about reducing the chance to 25? 5 percent is outrageous.

There are many ways of fixing this issue, however this company instead of having a constructive discussion with us they ones who have feed you money and your consumers instead implements a authoritarian system of changing things at will with no regard for anyone or anybody.

How about making a public poll or in game poll to get the customer feedback. Kabam it is not too late to learn. I thought after 12.0 you would have learn a thing or two but it looks like you continue to make the relationship with your customers bitter daily.