What's the deal with the Gambit relic?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,292 ★★★★★
    Graves_3 said:

Graves_3 said:

DrZola said:

Anyone who read the description was aware something was amiss. Never confirmed, sure. That doesn't mean there's a shelf life on a bug. For some reason, people think if a bug has existed for a certain amount of time, it must be left. There's no "fix before" date.
    At this point we're debating the same few examples. They didn't communicate this in time. There have been one or two, or maybe even a few, examples over the years. The vast majority of history shows they strive to be open and upfront, and you can't deny that because they have been. The only time you hear differently is when things like this happen, and then generalizations are made, and I'm sure this example will come up years down the road. This keeping tally mentality is really quite unproductive.

Only one party knows whether something is “unintended”—and it isn’t the players.

Only one party is disadvantaged when a beneficial but “unintended” effect is revised—and it isn’t the game team.

Only one party has the ability and the obligation to inform the community when an item is being changed—and that certainly isn’t the players.

Dr. Zola
    The first is obvious. It's their intention that determines that. If you would like to change that, you're free to put in an offer to purchase the game.
    There is no such thing as a beneficial bug.
    As for the last statement, we've established that. It went live before they could communicate the change, and they apologized and took responsibility. That feels pretty redundant.

If something is becoming a pattern and a habit, I would consider it understandable when people point that out. If it's "3 years ago we had this change....5 years ago a Moderator was wrong....", that's a list the dedication of which is a personal issue.
    How will you see a pattern when you don’t keep a tally? If you keep pushing everything under the rug saying it’s a one of thing, every new occurrence will be a one of thing. If you keep a tally you can see a pattern. It’s process improvement 101. You need to keep track of data to improve.
    If your tally involves going back years to comb through examples, then clearly there's more of a resentment than a pattern.
    By the same token, people shouldn’t ask everyone to come up with examples every time someone posts about something. It’s honestly up to the company to see where things failed and to have a process to prevent it from happening. Whether it happens once a day or once in 3 years.
    There was a point to that question. There isn't a history of silent nerfs. You have a couple intentional changes that weren't communicated properly, and some bugs that were resolved without confirmation that they were bugs. The reaction is as if they can't be trusted, and that's what I disagree with on the basis of history.
  • Options
    If you think I'm derailing this Thread somehow, you're not following. I never said anything at all against any kind of Compensation. I'm not explicitly asking for it, but I never argued against it. I'm responding to other aspects of the conversation. Which is how the Forums work. We discuss the game with each other. Not just ask for things from the aforementioned Devs.
    If that's the point YOU want to make, then make it. You don't need to tell me to stop commenting for that.
  • Options
    NEXTONNEXTON Posts: 573 ★★★

If you think I'm derailing this Thread somehow, you're not following. I never said anything at all against any kind of Compensation. I'm not explicitly asking for it, but I never argued against it. I'm responding to other aspects of the conversation. Which is how the Forums work. We discuss the game with each other. Not just ask for things from the aforementioned Devs.
    If that's the point YOU want to make, then make it. You don't need to tell me to stop commenting for that.

I have a genuine question. Why do you always capitalize random words? Like thread, forum or compensation.

• Options
    Scripps said:

I have a genuine question. Why do you always capitalize random words? Like thread, forum or compensation.

Force of habit I suppose. When it's an actual name, or colloquial name on the Forum, then I tend to capitalize. The difference between a forum, and the Forum for example.
  • Options
    5th5th Posts: 151 ★★
    Gambit is now back to being terrible.
  • Options
    Chris_118Chris_118 Posts: 28
    I run the precision mastery 5/5 (plus 1/5 lesser precision) for +450 critical rating. Am I right in thinking that a champion needs less than 350 base critical rating for the 4 star Gambit Relic to have any effect? Out of my current 6 star mutants (at various ranks) that only applies to Apocalypse who has a critical rating of 329. So only 1 of my champs benefits from this relic and only gets +21 critical rating?
  • Options
    DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,594 ★★★★★

Here’s the text I think you’re referring to @Chris_118

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    Chris_118Chris_118 Posts: 28
    Exactly @DrZola, going off Jax’s explanation and this part in particular: ‘This ability should only bump the Crit Rating up to the listed amount’

I understand this as: if your Crit Rating is above 800 then the relic has no effect, and if it is below 800 then you only gain Crit Rating to take your total Crit rating to 800.

What I’m saying is that with my current masteries all of my 6 star mutants have higher than 800 Crit Rating except for Apocalypse who has a total Crit Rating of 779. So only he would benefit and he would only gain +21 additional rating.
  • Options
    BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Posts: 2,319 ★★★★★
    DrZola said:

Chris_118 said:

Exactly @DrZola, going off Jax’s explanation and this part in particular: ‘This ability should only bump the Crit Rating up to the listed amount’

I understand this as: if your Crit Rating is above 800 then the relic has no effect, and if it is below 800 then you only gain Crit Rating to take your total Crit rating to 800.

What I’m saying is that with my current masteries all of my 6 star mutants have higher than 800 Crit Rating except for Apocalypse who has a total Crit Rating of 779. So only he would benefit and he would only gain +21 additional rating.

It isn’t unusual for in-game descriptions to be poorly phrased.

For example, here a key phrase is also “up to.” Do special attack hits by your Apoc that deal physical damage gain the full +21, or are they eligible to gain +21 but may, in fact, gain less than that? Is it subject to pRNG whether they true up to 800 crit rating or not? Why even use the phrase “up to” at all if the effect is simply to bump all physical special attack hits to 800 crit rating?

Is the intent to give +800 for any hit with crit rating below 800 but give none at all for a hit with 801 crit rating? Who knows?

In short: what’s intended here? and is a bot writing these descriptions?

Dr. Zola
    Probably serial Google Translate copypastes from English to Canadian and back. :trollface:
  • Options
    Lovejoy72Lovejoy72 Posts: 1,858 ★★★★
    Chris_118 said:

I run the precision mastery 5/5 (plus 1/5 lesser precision) for +450 critical rating. Am I right in thinking that a champion needs less than 350 base critical rating for the 4 star Gambit Relic to have any effect? Out of my current 6 star mutants (at various ranks) that only applies to Apocalypse who has a critical rating of 329. So only 1 of my champs benefits from this relic and only gets +21 critical rating?

If masteries were free to change, this would almost be interesting. With the relic subbing in for those masteries, you could move things all over the place for a single fight. But they aren’t free to move and thus there’s no point.
  • Options
    phil56201phil56201 Posts: 973 ★★★
    Lovejoy72 said:

Chris_118 said:

If masteries were free to change, this would almost be interesting. With the relic subbing in for those masteries, you could move things all over the place for a single fight. But they aren’t free to move and thus there’s no point.
    I don’t think masterys affect the champions base stats. I’m in the 8.3 beta and this is before and after mastery reset:

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Lovejoy72 said:

Chris_118 said:

Best in mind this relic affects Special Attacks that deal physical damage, so your basic attacks wouldn’t see a crit rate boost.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    DrZola said:

Lovejoy72 said:

Chris_118 said:

Best in mind this relic affects Special Attacks that deal physical damage, so your basic attacks wouldn’t see a crit rate boost.

Dr. Zola
    Damn you and you facts, lol!
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    phil56201 said:

Lovejoy72 said:

Chris_118 said:

I don’t think masterys affect the champions base stats. I’m in the 8.3 beta and this is before and after mastery reset:

Interesting! Does the relic move up base stats, or would they all apply after?
  • Options
    phil56201phil56201 Posts: 973 ★★★
    Only during special attacks. So in the example above, I would gain +142 crit rating.
  • Options
    phil56201 said:

Only during special attacks. So in the example above, I would gain +142 crit rating.

I think that’s correct, but only if your special attack deals physical damage.

Dr. Zola