Comments

• Abspain101Abspain101 Member Posts: 175 ★★
    Stature said:

Stature said:

Stature said:

Stature said:

Stature said:

Stature said:

I just find it funny that everyone who wrote in the forums about the pick first issue claim a 90-95% rate in which they had to pick first..
    Yes i believe the system could be broken, that maybe it is slanted go figure for what reason, but EVERYONE who agreed or wrote on those post have a really high percentage, it takes 2 people for a match, where are the people who have picked 2nd 90-95% of the time?
    It could be an issue but I believe the numbers are over inflated to make it more dramatic and some are even claiming high numbers due to mass hysteria.

I've picked second once. I'm over 450K in solo points. You do the math. It's not 90-95%, it's being locked in to pick first. There is no probability attached here. Most likely the only time I got second was with someone else who is also locked in.

The people who are picking second are most likely already in decent tiers in GC and are hoping this doesn't get any attention. This is what I mean by "BG is a competition" only being relevant when it serves them.
    It is an advantage? Yes it a slight one, now to claim that the people in GC are there because they were benefitted by this advantage?... See this is why some people then come with a bad attitude to tell people things like git gud, or its a competition.
    Picking first has a disadvantage but its not a match decider. The fact that you were able to get 450k points and close to GC is proof that picking first is not an instant loss either. Not saying you said that; but there are some people that will blame EVERYTHING, on everything else before their shortcomings. They will blame matchmaking, f2p vs P2P, input issues, AI, point scoring system, picking first 12 out of 10 matches before they accept where they are in the game.
    Slight or not is subjective. The point is there is a systemic disadvantage applied to a group of players. The corollary is there is a systemic advantage applied to another group of players. With impact on final ranking of players and alliances. That is against the ethos of any competition anywhere.

I'm in Vibranium, picking first all the time this entire season. Would I have had 5 more wins if I had picked first all the time, of course. I would easily be in GC then. So yeah, if anyone who has a comparable roster and game skills as me, they would easily get into GC if they were picking first all the time. I'll get to GC even with this handicap, it'll cost me 1,000-2,000 elder marks more, in fact now that I'm beyond 450K, I'll probably just do it with energy.

That said, this has still set me back. Every extra loss I've had, I needed two more matches to make up that progress. I've played more matches than I should have, consumed my EM stash and ceded the opportunity cost of doing arenas or something else. It will cost me points in the rank rewards, since for the same amount of matches I would have more points even with one more win. It will cost my alliance points in the event. This also means some other player and alliance has benefited from free points on the other side of this issue. Eventually, this will also impact your solo rank rewards and alliance rank rewards.

The issue is not if I am skillful enough to get past this disadvantage. The question is why is it ok for the game to apply this disadvantage selectively, if BG is meant to be a competition.
    Well, not sure what to tell you; but this is straight up the alley of claiming that people who spend in the game have better results in crystal openings.
    Its hard to sympathize with a post that claims that everyone else who picked second is already in GC and hoping that this doesn't get revealed.
    I said people with similar rosters and similar skills would get into GC if they were picking second all the time. I won ~60 matches out of ~100 and am in Vibranium today. Picking first all the time. Do you seriously think I wouldn't have won 65 matches out of 100 if I was picking second all the time? That's all it take to be in GC from where I am.
    I dont think the percentage of win matches would have changed that much if you had picked 2nd.
    How much would it change? Is 61 ok? That's 4500 more points in the solo event, 2 less matches I would had to play and 180 EMs saved. That's about 80 units. Just from one extra loss.

That said, I think 5% is a conservative estimate of how much win rates differ for people picking first over second. All that means is people picking second win 52.5% of the matches overall.
    I find it a bit contradictory to say "All that means is people picking second win 52.5% of the matches overall." When you manage to win 60~% picking first 90-95% of the time.
    What is your point? Are you suggesting people picking second are at a disadvantage?

When you are picking second, you have additional information that you cannot have while picking first. You know what the player has picked in their deck or for their defense. Placing first you can guess what they will pick or place. Even if you get 100% of your guesses right, you are at best negating the advantage the person placing second has.

You can have 5% better win rates by picking first. It is hardly an outlandish assumption.
    My point? I seriously doubt Kabam put you on a blacklist of people who will choose 1st on every draft for X reason.
    I also don't believe on the 52.5% more chance of winning when picking second, you being the very example of what you are trying to prove. You picked first 90-95% of the time and managed a 60+% winning percentage.
    You are the evidence that disproves your theory.
    And I would have won even more if I had picked second 50% of the time. Which would have happened if the system was fair or random.

If you don't believe that I haven't picked first all the time this season, that's ok. There is no good way for me to prove it without hours of video. Even if I put screenshots you will say that I only picked the ones that had me first. Only the devs can provide conclusive data on it.

Blacklist or not, I have picked first in all but one match this season. This is a fact.

Whether you consider it an advantage or not, people picking second have more information on the match-up to make their decisions. This is also a fact.

That I have been at a disadvantage this whole season is not up for debate. This is what has happened. Extent of the disadvantage is immaterial compared to the fact that there is a disadvantage at all. Unlike every other disadvantage in the game mode (seeding, matchmaking etc.) this is a hidden penalty, nowhere disclosed.
    It's not a fact if you won't prove it I feel you are just griping to gripe not once on this thread have you shown proof you have picked first 95% of the time or all but one match you would think with these allegations you are throwing you would have some proof to back this up yet nothing.
  • StatureStature Member Posts: 428 ★★★

Ok... so all you've done is show that you're scared of people seeing your champions, you opponents champions and that you won the last 6 matches even though you picked first.

You don't seem to be at any disadvantage. I fail to see the problem that you claim to have.

@Stature Is your complaint that BG order selection is not random or BG order selection is not fair?

Random selection would follow a binomial distribution curve. There is a 1/64 chance of going first six games in a row. In the scope of GC player base, this would affect an average of 132 of the people that are at uru 2 tier (top 8500 players) or higher. Additionally we have a tendency towards a negativity bias, where we will remember the adverse outcomes disproportionate to the beneficial outcomes. This is mainly why other posters are requesting more examples so that we aren’t accidentally screening out the times where players placed 2nd.

Additionally a random selection is pretty simple to code. The game would generate a random number, and if it is even player A would go first and if it is odd player B would go first.

If you are saying that bg selection is random, but not fair, that is a whole different discussion.

BG order selection is not random. Those were the 6 games today. I've picked second once this whole season. I have 470K+ solo points in BG. That's a t least a 100 matches. I've picked once. That sequence is practically impossible with a random order selection.
  • Ironman3000Ironman3000 Member Posts: 1,938 ★★★★★
    Stature said:

Ok... so all you've done is show that you're scared of people seeing your champions, you opponents champions and that you won the last 6 matches even though you picked first.

You don't seem to be at any disadvantage. I fail to see the problem that you claim to have.

@Stature Is your complaint that BG order selection is not random or BG order selection is not fair?

Random selection would follow a binomial distribution curve. There is a 1/64 chance of going first six games in a row. In the scope of GC player base, this would affect an average of 132 of the people that are at uru 2 tier (top 8500 players) or higher. Additionally we have a tendency towards a negativity bias, where we will remember the adverse outcomes disproportionate to the beneficial outcomes. This is mainly why other posters are requesting more examples so that we aren’t accidentally screening out the times where players placed 2nd.

Additionally a random selection is pretty simple to code. The game would generate a random number, and if it is even player A would go first and if it is odd player B would go first.

If you are saying that bg selection is random, but not fair, that is a whole different discussion.

BG order selection is not random. Those were the 6 games today. I've picked second once this whole season. I have 470K+ solo points in BG. That's a t least a 100 matches. I've picked once. That sequence is practically impossible with a random order selection.
    Ok, then tell us what the determining factor is.

@BringPopcorn exhibit A on why I removed as much data as possible. I did not want to focus on results or roster or my progression level or any other factor. I slipped up a tiny bit, and this genius here decided there was no disadvantage to picking first since I won those games.

I hesitate to share personal or account data on forums, because all it leads to is personal attacks by trolls like these. If I hadn't blacked out the champs, then it would have been on how I was drafting wrong or something else. If I had lost, then obviously skill issue.

In that post above, there is not even an acceptance that there might be a bug that is causing me to pick first. At least 3 times I have articulated the exact information differential that arises from picking first vs. second and this person has ignored it all the time.

But, this same person will bring out the line that BG is a competition and no one is entitled to preferential treatment when it suits him. Provided evidence of them receiving a preferential treatment (or in this case me receiving a penalty), they fail to see the problem.

Feel free to suggest a better way of engaging with people like these. I don't know how to.

Stature said:

How can I tell you. The company making the game should be telling. They aren't.

I didn't code the ordering system. I only know that I pick first all the time. And I know that is a disadvantage, anyone playing the game knows that.

You are the person who argues on every thread that this a competition. Doesn't it bother you that not all competitors are playing under the same rules. If I'm picking first almost 100% of the time, then there is someone else picking first 90% of the time, and some else at 80% and so on. On the flip side, there is also someone who is probably picking second all the time and 90% of the time etc. It affect the leaderboard, rank rewards and cost of participation for everyone this season. I'm just at the receiving end of the worst of it.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Member Posts: 21,768 ★★★★★
    Stature said:

@BringPopcorn exhibit A on why I removed as much data as possible. I did not want to focus on results or roster or my progression level or any other factor. I slipped up a tiny bit, and this genius here decided there was no disadvantage to picking first since I won those games.

I hesitate to share personal or account data on forums, because all it leads to is personal attacks by trolls like these. If I hadn't blacked out the champs, then it would have been on how I was drafting wrong or something else. If I had lost, then obviously skill issue.

In that post above, there is not even an acceptance that there might be a bug that is causing me to pick first. At least 3 times I have articulated the exact information differential that arises from picking first vs. second and this person has ignored it all the time.

But, this same person will bring out the line that BG is a competition and no one is entitled to preferential treatment when it suits him. Provided evidence of them receiving a preferential treatment (or in this case me receiving a penalty), they fail to see the problem.

Feel free to suggest a better way of engaging with people like these. I don't know how to.
    This is quite possibly the funniest thing I've read today lol.

I've never once said there is or isn't a bug. Not once. You can't find a single comment to where I've said that. I've said that it doesn't matter whether you pick first. You literally showed that despite what you consider a "disadvantage", you've won all 6 of those matches. You're also on record saying that you've won approximately 60% of your matches with this "disadvantage".

You can't prove either way that if you've lost a match, it was because you picked 2nd. Again, you're complaining and complaining about picking first and it very well be a bug, but you really don't seem to have any sort of disadvantage here.

If you were picking first and losing every single match, you'd have more of a leg to stand on to be saying it's a disadvantage.
  • Vegeta9001Vegeta9001 Member Posts: 1,693 ★★★★★

Terra said:

If you can't succeed in BGs, it's a skill issue.

Is matchmaking sometimes borked? Yes. But does that mean you have to be handheld all the way? No.

I have 0 issues with the matchmaking, what I do have an issue with is my top 3 decay champs being banned, then the game opting to leave a further 2 or 3 decay champs out of the drafting phase entirely. Why they have bans, then an entirely RNG drafting pool is beyond me. If you're banning 3 anyway just have an open drafting deck afterwards.

So many fights I've lost because I pick let's say peni first, so the opponent instantly gets galan, so I lock in mystics, then the opponent instantly gets titania or torch. Or if by some chance I get second pick, they lock in a kingpin or Korg, and I just get champs that get dunked on by them. RNG Drafting is stupid when the game can conveniently leave out counters to your opposing deck. When it leaves out Wiccan or Torch but it's like, oh, you want regular ironman 4 times, here you go.
    You do realise that it's essentially a card game, right? You can't expect to be playing poker and be able to ask the dealer for four aces.
    My advice would be to build your deck with versatile champions and not think about perfect counters.
    I just took out a Korg with Juggernaut quite successfully. Would love to always draft my rank 5 ascended Kitty Pryde but that's not how the game works.
    My champ pool is complete, if they don't give you the champs you need in drafting you can't select them. Don't see the point in your comment when you evidently didn't read mine. The game selectively leaves out champions that counter the opponent champions and vice versa. I locked in threr mystics today, the opponent's titania, torch, Spiderman; antman, quake and Ronin never made an appearance in drafting and Hulk was banned. No amount of deck strength in the world can overcome that amount of RNG in a "skill based" game mode.

Better player doesn't always win, I won that game purely because he was wrecked by bad drafting. Didn't make me feel accomplished afterwards in a close fought game.

Stature said:

I've never once said there is or isn't a bug. Not once. You can't find a single comment to where I've said that. I've said that it doesn't matter whether you pick first. You literally showed that despite what you consider a "disadvantage", you've won all 6 of those matches. You're also on record saying that you've won approximately 60% of your matches with this "disadvantage".

You can't prove either way that if you've lost a match, it was because you picked 2nd. Again, you're complaining and complaining about picking first and it very well be a bug, but you really don't seem to have any sort of disadvantage here.

If you were picking first and losing every single match, you'd have more of a leg to stand on to be saying it's a disadvantage.
    Do you understand that the player picking second has more information to base their decision on?
  • BringPopcornBringPopcorn Member Posts: 4,329 ★★★★★
    Stature said:

Preferential treatment is miles away from a bug. Preferential treatment suggests its intentional that's why I used the term Blacklist before.
    Your approach was really salty, with comments like "the people picking second are probably in GC and staying quiet" as if they were exploiting something.
    All you needed to do is have screenshots, have proof so it would raise flags. Claiming you have been tracking and showing the last 6 matches (which are proof and now you can open a ticket properly) made me skeptical.
    You approach was not to ask the investigation of a bug, it was to disqualify BG, and hinting intentional disadvantage toward yourself and a few others.
    Stature said:

Stature said:

Do you understand that the player picking second has more information to base their decision on?
    And the circle starts all over again :s

Stature said:

It's a simple yes or no.
    Stature said:

Stature said:

How can I tell you. The company making the game should be telling. They aren't.

I didn't code the ordering system. I only know that I pick first all the time. And I know that is a disadvantage, anyone playing the game knows that.

You are the person who argues on every thread that this a competition. Doesn't it bother you that not all competitors are playing under the same rules. If I'm picking first almost 100% of the time, then there is someone else picking first 90% of the time, and some else at 80% and so on. On the flip side, there is also someone who is probably picking second all the time and 90% of the time etc. It affect the leaderboard, rank rewards and cost of participation for everyone this season. I'm just at the receiving end of the worst of it.
    So you're complaining just to complain, got it.

It doesn't bother me because I don't have the loser mentality that whoever picks first is at a huge disadvantage and losing isn't their fault.
    Stature said:

Stature said:

It's a simple yes or no.
    The answer is yes.

Do you understand that you have more knowledge after your opponent picks 2nd during your 2nd pick than they had after your first pick?

It doesn't bother me because I don't have the loser mentality that whoever picks first is at a huge disadvantage and losing isn't their fault.

If it doesn't bother you that there is no equal treatment of players in this case, why do you then expect equal treatment in other cases (e.g. matchmaking)
    edited November 2023

Stature said:

Stature said:

It's a simple yes or no.
    The answer is yes.

Do you understand that you have more knowledge after your opponent picks 2nd during your 2nd pick than they had after your first pick?
    And that goes on right? There is a net advantage to the person picking second vs. first. Then they also get to place second in 2 out of 3 rounds. Do you think it is fair that only some players get this advantage and others are permanently blocked from accessing this?

Preferential treatment is miles away from a bug. Preferential treatment suggests its intentional that's why I used the term Blacklist before.
    Your approach was really salty, with comments like "the people picking second are probably in GC and staying quiet" as if they were exploiting something.
    All you needed to do is have screenshots, have proof so it would raise flags. Claiming you have been tracking and showing the last 6 matches (which are proof and now you can open a ticket properly) made me skeptical.
    You approach was not to ask the investigation of a bug, it was to disqualify BG, and hinting intentional disadvantage toward yourself and a few others.

That bug is a permanent handicap. I have multiple times asked for just an acknowledgement of the bug, let alone a timeline to fix it. I don't recall asking for anything else.

You've seen the reaction to the proof.

I haven't disqualified BG. I only said that the people who pile on others using "BG is a competition" trope are least interested in BG being a competition. That is miles away from disqualifying BG.
    Stature said:

Stature said:

Stature said:

It's a simple yes or no.
    The answer is yes.

And that goes on right? There is a net advantage to the person picking second vs. first. Then they also get to place second in 2 out of 3 rounds. Do you think it is fair that only some players get this advantage and others are permanently blocked from accessing this?
    I honestly don't care. I haven't seen any evidence that is detrimental to their matches. I see no real advantage either way.

Stature said:

Stature said:

Stature said:

It's a simple yes or no.
    The answer is yes.

I honestly don't care. I haven't seen any evidence that is detrimental to their matches. I see no real advantage either way.
    There we have it. You not caring doesn't mean the disadvantage goes away.
    Stature said:

If it doesn't bother you that there is no equal treatment of players in this case, why do you then expect equal treatment in other cases (e.g. matchmaking)
    You've yet to prove that there is anything actually wrong with the system. Also, there's no such thing as "equal treatment" in a competition like BGs. Someone will always have to go 1st and someone will always have a weaker roster and some will always get worse draft GNg etc. I'm not arguing, or expecting, "equal treatment" because I understand how the competition works.
    Also, what tier are you in and are you typically much weaker than your opponent? I'm guessing that if there is any criteria the higher roster picks 2nd, which IMO is how it should work.
    Stature said:

Stature said:

Stature said:

Stature said:

It's a simple yes or no.
    The answer is yes.

There we have it. You not caring doesn't mean the disadvantage goes away.
    You caring doesn't mean there's a disadvantage.

AGAIN, show me how many losses you have because you picked 1st.

Stature said:

You've yet to prove that there is anything actually wrong with the system. Also, there's no such thing as "equal treatment" in a competition like BGs. Someone will always have to go 1st and someone will always have a weaker roster and some will always get worse draft GNg etc. I'm not arguing, or expecting, "equal treatment" because I understand how the competition works.
    There is a difference between someone going 1st and the same player going 1st all the time.

On the rest of it, you should try reading the thread you are participating in.
    Stature said:

That bug is a permanent handicap. I have multiple times asked for just an acknowledgement of the bug, let alone a timeline to fix it. I don't recall asking for anything else.

You've seen the reaction to the proof.

I haven't disqualified BG. I only said that the people who pile on others using "BG is a competition" trope are least interested in BG being a competition. That is miles away from disqualifying BG.
    If its a BUG its bot preferential treatmean or a permanent handicap ITS A BUG, that you talked about DAYS and got proof for TODAY.
    Look at the title and tell me its not salty? You use a single bug to talk about the "Charades"
    BGs are a competition, you were affected by a bug, I am sorry you were affected; but make up your mind, is it preferential treatment or is it a bug? As I said before preferential treatment id intentional, a bug is not
  • UsagicassidyUsagicassidy Member Posts: 1,302 ★★★★
    Y'all are still going?

I have precisely spelled out what the disadvantage is. It is the one of information during the drafting and placing stage. It is hardly a difficult concept to understand, after 12 seasons of BG.

I've picked first all my matches, I've won some and I've lost some. Playing all matches at a disadvantage. Why is it inconceivable that some of those matches were influenced by the information mis-match between picking 1st?
  • Bugmat78Bugmat78 Member Posts: 2,343 ★★★★★
    I'm amazed this thread is still going... who picks first or second... I don't think it really matters. What matters is if you get a good draft on each roll.
  • jdschwjdschw Member Posts: 370 ★★★

You've yet to prove that there is anything actually wrong with the system.

Kabam has stated that the selection order is supposed to be random. For some folks, it is clearly not random. That is something wrong with the system.
    jdschw said:

You've yet to prove that there is anything actually wrong with the system.

Kabam has stated that the selection order is supposed to be random. For some folks, it is clearly not random. That is something wrong with the system.
    Yet that still doesn't prove it's bugged. Some folks picking first mostly and some picking second mostly is still a random system overall. Your ~100 matches is way too small of a sample size to prove anything.
    Stature said:

I have precisely spelled out what the disadvantage is. It is the one of information during the drafting and placing stage. It is hardly a difficult concept to understand, after 12 seasons of BG.

I've picked first all my matches, I've won some and I've lost some. Playing all matches at a disadvantage. Why is it inconceivable that some of those matches were influenced by the information mis-match between picking 1st?
    A lot of people would have taken you serious if the post was
    Title: Bug in drafting order
    "i have experiences a lot of matches where I have to pick first.. A LOT, here are screenshots to prove it"

You decided to go on a different route attacking other subjects, hinting a conspitacy theory of preferential treatment toward some accounts, and even saying "the people on GC always pick first and are quiet about it wah wah"...