**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

The Future of the Mystics

Comments

• Options
    DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Marvel_Comics_characters_who_use_magic

Plenty of mystics left to add to MCOC. The hard part is incorporating them into story or event quests.
  • Options
    NojokejaymNojokejaym Posts: 3,912 ★★★★★
    V1PER1987 wrote: »
    ESF wrote: »
    I mean, to me, here's how you know that the Mystic class really doesn't have a ton of depth as far as who could come next: Morningstar and Guillotine are, in their own way, two of the more effective Mystic characters and they aren't even Marvel creations.

There's just not a ton of them to really look to and feel good about. I mean, is anybody desperate to see, I don't know, Tigra? Before you'd get someone like maybe, I don't know, Baron Zemo or Mister Sinister or Apocalypse or maybe the Fantastic Four or Doctor Doom, if they ever become available?

That's not an insult to Tigra. It's just that at some point, how much does a character like that really make anybody want to put up millions of points in Arena?

People have put up lots of points for obscure characters. I had no clue who Doctor Voodoo was when I put up 19.3M for him upon release but ultimately it’s the abilities that draw people in I think. I mean Domino isn’t really a mainstream character either but she’s one of the most popular champs in the game right now.

Agreed -- you are totally correct, and I have little-to-no doubt that is how the game will look and feel in the future: Obscure characters with...interesting...interactions that will make people grind.

As an adult who understands business and capitalism, I get it. That's absolutely the way to go.

As someone who does care about the source material and the lore of the characters, I hate it.

All of us vets understand "power creep." I know you do, others do.

But yeah. It drives me a little nuts to see Domino far more useful than, say...Magneto. Drives me absolutely nuts.

But we've all seen it before, and I'm sure it will continue

Yes I completely agree and it’s a bummer to see the mainstream characters added first and then as the mechanics evolved, the obscure characters get the red carpet treatment. To see Magneto be so awful in the game and then to get nerfed? My heart couldn’t take it. He should’ve been the first “danger sense” champ. He should be able to reduce ability accuracy of all metal champs including getting an attack bonus and possibly even lower their defenses. I mean come on, he’s the master of metal. Do him a little justice

magneto is just a shame, its so sad. i never knew they nerfed him though, he is just so bad what did they possibly do that is a nerf
  • Options
    BeagleBeagle Posts: 5
    Mystic champions I would like to see are Hellstorm, Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider, Blackheart, Captain Britain, Satana and Doctor Doom.

Even though I don't like the character, they might as well add Shuma-Gorath too since he's recognizable from the Marvel vs Capcom games.
  • Options
    raffsterraffster Posts: 1,071 ★★★
    Just make Dr Strange be useful again and make him available as a 5*.

Make SW available also as 5*.

Get Iron Fist and Juggy out of garbage zone into actually decent champs.

That would br a great place to start.
  • Options
    V1PER1987V1PER1987 Posts: 3,474 ★★★★★
    Nojokejaym wrote: »
    I mean, to me, here's how you know that the Mystic class really doesn't have a ton of depth as far as who could come next: Morningstar and Guillotine are, in their own way, two of the more effective Mystic characters and they aren't even Marvel creations.

There's just not a ton of them to really look to and feel good about. I mean, is anybody desperate to see, I don't know, Tigra? Before you'd get someone like maybe, I don't know, Baron Zemo or Mister Sinister or Apocalypse or maybe the Fantastic Four or Doctor Doom, if they ever become available?

That's not an insult to Tigra. It's just that at some point, how much does a character like that really make anybody want to put up millions of points in Arena?

People have put up lots of points for obscure characters. I had no clue who Doctor Voodoo was when I put up 19.3M for him upon release but ultimately it’s the abilities that draw people in I think. I mean Domino isn’t really a mainstream character either but she’s one of the most popular champs in the game right now.

Agreed -- you are totally correct, and I have little-to-no doubt that is how the game will look and feel in the future: Obscure characters with...interesting...interactions that will make people grind.

As an adult who understands business and capitalism, I get it. That's absolutely the way to go.

As someone who does care about the source material and the lore of the characters, I hate it.

All of us vets understand "power creep." I know you do, others do.

But yeah. It drives me a little nuts to see Domino far more useful than, say...Magneto. Drives me absolutely nuts.

But we've all seen it before, and I'm sure it will continue

Yes I completely agree and it’s a bummer to see the mainstream characters added first and then as the mechanics evolved, the obscure characters get the red carpet treatment. To see Magneto be so awful in the game and then to get nerfed? My heart couldn’t take it. He should’ve been the first “danger sense” champ. He should be able to reduce ability accuracy of all metal champs including getting an attack bonus and possibly even lower their defenses. I mean come on, he’s the master of metal. Do him a little justice

magneto is just a shame, its so sad. i never knew they nerfed him though, he is just so bad what did they possibly do that is a nerf

He used to have two bleed triggers on his L1, but they removed the first trigger. Now he can only trigger bleed on the projectile hit.
  • Options
    MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,366 ★★★★★
    edited September 2018
    Captain Britain could be okay. Many of the other mystics in Marvel comics are very small print.

On the other hand, a couple of potential Skill champs could easily be classed as Mystics: Davos (Steel Serpent) stole the Iron Fist; whilst Kraven the Hunter gained strength and superhuman senses from a magical potion. Either could be developed as an interesting Mystic champion.

Netflix hasn't had much love from MCOC recently. Steel Serpent could be pretty cool. And he could easily carry a synergy that makes Iron Fist actually worth having.

• Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★
    edited September 2018
    John757 wrote: »
    c8g389c9mtg9.png
    Mysterio

That would be awesome.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★
    Wiccan would be good too.
  • Options
    Alex_sc11Alex_sc11 Posts: 191
    There are wuite a few taht they can use:

Shuma Gorath (fingers crossed)

Nico Minoru (from the Runaways)

Blackheart (Mephisto's Son)

Wong (from Dr Strange)

Satana (from Dr Strange/Thunderbolts)

Morgan Le Fay

Clea (from Dr Strange)

Wiccan (Young Avengers)

Dracula
  • Options
    Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    c8g389c9mtg9.png
    Mysterio
    Technically, he's just an illusionist, he has no mystical powers.
  • Options
    We already got Blade so why not Dracula?
    And Mephisto's son, Blackheart or Blackout (from the second Ghost Rider movie).
    Yeah, Dr. Doom and any of the Fantastic Four is long overdue (although I like the Dr. Doom from both movies more rather than the comics version).
  • Options
    Mitchell35Mitchell35 Posts: 1,897 ★★★★
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    I've just always felt, even when I saw a wee lad, that what you just described is a horrible, horrible cheat. It's not fair to the reader/game player overall.

Believe me, there is no bigger stickler for continuity than I am. It is just that if you're going to be a fan of comic books, and anything related to the genre, I believe it is something you have to let slide. At best, comic books are "locally consistent" but not globally consistent. Incredibly (to me) the DC Universe explicitly includes this phenomenon as an actual property of the universe: for those unfamiliar, it is called Hypertime. It is fundamentally just another way of saying our writers don't make mistakes, the universe does. Its cute, but I've never really bought into it completely.

I don't believe it is wrong to hold writers accountable to continuity. In fact, it is an argument I've had with game writers in the past. I only think if we're going to hold MCOC accountable to be consistent with the comic books, we need to hold the comic books to the same standard. And on that standard, they tend to fail horribly.

If it was up to me, robots would be immune to Emma's control reversal. They would also be immune to the beneficial effects of Willpower. And anyone who claimed Ghost Rider should be immune to fire because he is on fire would get a ban from the forums until they submitted a report on the properties of Ghost Rider's mystical flames in the comics, with source references. Because I am not a benevolent canon god.

If these were the days of forum signatures I would strongly recommend "Because I am not a benevolent canon god" be yours until the end of days.

On topic - outside of the Ghost Rider argument, I'd like to see some more "obvious" ones also show up. Storm and Thor (all three of them) control lightning to some degree - why aren't they immune to shock? Why is an element they control effortlessly able to injure them? (I suppose the argument could be made if it is weaponized against them and they are HIT, then it could hurt them, but thinking of Electro's ability is one that shouldn't be able to hurt them.)

Honestly Thor isn’t shock immune in any way. (See Thor: Rangnarok) Also, for them to made little updates like that, they would have to introduce a balance system that other wildly more popular games have integrated, like Clash Royale or Fortnite. Every update there are small changes to keep all guns/cards viable. Unfortunately, this isn’t very feasible, because it takes a player so long to rank up a champ. The only way I could see this working is if there were a ready stream of rdt, (again, not gonna happen) and choosing a different 5/65 were as easy as redoing your masteries. Again, though, the game is not set up for that.

• Options
    Nico Minoru would be pretty sweet To include. Definitely mystic. They could put in the ancient one also. Throw dr doom in for good measure with captain Britain and there’s 4 solid mystics
  • Options
    John757John757 Posts: 1,085 ★★★

c8g389c9mtg9.png
    Mysterio

Technically you didn’t read my other comments. One iteration of him can teleport and the main iteration of him uses hypnotism. Mystic enough and they need to add him. But it’ll have to wait til the next spiderman movie
  • Options
    LoPrestiLoPresti Posts: 1,035 ★★★
    It's hard to create Mystics that are not borderline OP when Mystic Dispersion is obviously broken. Maybe now after the nerf we will see some more Mystic champs being added.
  • Options
    Mysterio will be God of the mystics! All hail Mysterio!
  • Options
    World EaterWorld Eater Posts: 3,572 ★★★★★
    Damien Hellstrom/Hellstorm would be pretty awesome
  • Options
    MarriMarri Posts: 260 ★★
    And juggernaut makes sense as a mystic? 😑 also look up Francis Klum. That would be the mysterio they can use. I know my Spider-Man villains

That makes total sense because his powers are granted by Cyttorak...as in "The Crimson Bands of Cyttorak"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyttorak
  • Options
    Marri wrote: »
    And juggernaut makes sense as a mystic? 😑 also look up Francis Klum. That would be the mysterio they can use. I know my Spider-Man villains

That makes total sense because his powers are granted by Cyttorak...as in "The Crimson Bands of Cyttorak"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyttorak

Read the rest of the comments
  • Options
    Mirage_TurtleMirage_Turtle Posts: 1,868 ★★★★
    Wrecker and Absorbing man are some good, less-obvious choices for Mystic Champs.

I saw Shuma Gorath listed...that would be very cool!

And if they aren't going to give us the Sorcerer Supreme in 5* or 6*, at least make a new version of him, possibly the MCU one or his Blue outfit from the comics.
  • Options
    Mirage_TurtleMirage_Turtle Posts: 1,868 ★★★★
    Enchantress could follow Loki's lead as someone with Cosmic heritage who would be classified as Mystic due to their skillset.
  • Options
    dkatryldkatryl Posts: 672 ★★★
    As someone that just recently duped a 6* Iron Fist, yes, please make him not suck. Is he the only champ that has 0 armor?

More on topic, Blackheart seems like a perfect Mystic choice. I remember him from one of the older Marvel games from Capcom.
  • Options
    Alex_sc11Alex_sc11 Posts: 191
    dkatryl wrote: »
    As someone that just recently duped a 6* Iron Fist, yes, please make him not suck. Is he the only champ that has 0 armor?

They at least should bring him to the way he worked before 12.0 where his armor breaks would create a negative armor break (like Thor's). With the way armor break is making a comeback to the game he should be the end all champion for that, and wouldn't be overpowered since he has low hp and armor.
  • Options
    DOKTOROKTOPUSDOKTOROKTOPUS Posts: 1,501 ★★★
    that ugly guy ebony maw could be mystic
  • Options
    QuincyPeckQuincyPeck Posts: 63
    Doctor Doom or Captain Britain incoming

Really want to see Captain Britain in this game.
  • Options
    QuincyPeckQuincyPeck Posts: 63
    Damien Hellstrom and Satanna would be good additions as well. Maybe even Blackheart. There's a ton of Ghost Rider / Blade foes that could make an appearance as well.
  • Options
    SuelSuel Posts: 279
    edited September 2018
    Mysterio
    Blackheart
    Steel Serpent
    The Ancient One
    Dr Doom
    Wong
    Ebony Maw
    Enchantress
    Surtur

Just pick one kabam
  • Options
    c8g389c9mtg9.png
    Mysterio

Technically you didn’t read my other comments. One iteration of him can teleport and the main iteration of him uses hypnotism. Mystic enough and they need to add him. But it’ll have to wait til the next spiderman movie
    That iteration, Francis Klum, is a mutant...

I don't know how magician tricks, special effects and illusions would be able to remove buffs. But hey, this game doesn't make sense anyway!
This discussion has been closed.