**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Let's talk about Canadian Difficulty

Comments

• MenkentMenkent Posts: 889 ★★★★

Menkent said:

The git-gud crowd seems to have forgotten that cavalier has been out for a year. That title isn't the top 1% anymore. If this random side quest is too easy to hold your attention either skip it or use weaker champs. It cracks me up that the same guys who were trolling up the feedback threads telling people they just weren't ready for act6 or war if hard and needed to get better rosters and more skill if they thought it was too hard are now whining that their rosters are too deep and they're too good at the game. I'm not going to complain about free loot, personally. It's just a monthly side quest.

Plenty of the participation trophy crowd is in here spouting the same nonsense they did in those threads as well.
    That's what side quests are for! This isn't variant5 or a boss rush or summer of pain. It's just a silly thing to farm some free shards.
  • ImranImran Posts: 587 ★★★

I feel that Canadian Difficulty is just way too easy. At this point, it could be considered Uncollected. However, I do like how the linked nodes add to the difficulty, while not making it impossible (except for one–I'm looking at you, Buffed Up). That being said, more nodes, whether they be Linked, Local, or Global would amp up the difficulty to that "Canadian" difficulty level. Increased health and maybe increased attack would help too, but I don't want it to become another Act 6-esque situation where the attack values are too high. Maybe 30k minimum defenders?

Opinions?

It’s just week 1, u can't imagine it in week 4.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★

When they announced the rewards I felt like they're decent for a start. And mind you, while feeling that way I expected at least 30k path enemies with wild node combinations and puzzle-esque bosses.

I was so excited for boss-rush style nodes and fun interactive gameplay, but what we got was just mindless parry-5 combos.
    That's what we're getting later on with the Boss Rushes and the other content. This is just another step up from Epic. The data being used for Cavalier is Sasquatch. Now, Canadian won't always be this easy, I believe. It's not Cavalier itself, and it's not The Maze. Lol. It's open to anyone Level 55, Cavalier or not.
    You really don't seem to understand that what you just described is not a counter to what we say, but rather exactly the issue we have with canadian difficulty lol.

What we got is so far from what the average semi-endgame-player-plus expected, expectations that were build on what kabam themselves have published on that topic mind you, that we don't see whatever value the data they're trying to gather from that sasquatch ambush is supposed to have.

That encounter is essentially comparable to the rare un-noded encounters in later act 6. Like the first deadpool in 6.4.1. Similar health, similar attack. And to someone who reached that level, such an encounter demands basically nothing from them.
    It's the first encounter, Week 1. There are 3 more weeks to go. They're using the data, so I'm sure they'll be able to gauge Cavalier accordingly. All data, including who breezed through him, who struggled, where they're at, etc.
    Yes, I understand that. What I don't underatand however is why they chose to start off with a level of difficulty that will for the most part create completely redundant data.

If over the next weeks the difficulty actually ramped up to a point where a player around my level would say "yup that's the stuff", then what was even the point in starting it off so accessible and opening it up to anyone at level 55? Was it meant to be a malicious joke aimed at making all those who can now access it but couldn't handle what we should get in the last week feel bad?

I seriously doubt that it will ramp up to a non-trivial degree. They already chose to turn canadian difficulty into something above average skilled uc summoners can enjoy rather than something that would make me think of the road to cavalier difficulty.

Ramping the difficulty up to a point where they could actually gather relevant data for the most part would then exclude all those summoners they already included with what we currently have. I don't see them doing that.
    The Quest itself isn't the data. The Sasquatch Encounters are. The Quest is a step up from Epic. That was the point of it. That in and of itself has to be that way because it's not gated by Titles. Just like Epic isn't, and so on.
  • ESFESF Posts: 1,944 ★★★★★

They're trying to gather data from something that is already trivial to those who were supposed to be challenged by what they're trying to gather data for.

That's the issue lol.

It has to be the Sasquatch data they are using, right? Has to be

I mean, for real. Nobody learned anything from me using a 3/45 Nick Fury or 4/55 Civil Warrior last night
  • Notsavage19Notsavage19 Posts: 2,817 ★★★★★
    Menkent said:

Menkent said:

The git-gud crowd seems to have forgotten that cavalier has been out for a year. That title isn't the top 1% anymore. If this random side quest is too easy to hold your attention either skip it or use weaker champs. It cracks me up that the same guys who were trolling up the feedback threads telling people they just weren't ready for act6 or war if hard and needed to get better rosters and more skill if they thought it was too hard are now whining that their rosters are too deep and they're too good at the game. I'm not going to complain about free loot, personally. It's just a monthly side quest.

Plenty of the participation trophy crowd is in here spouting the same nonsense they did in those threads as well.
    That's what side quests are for! This isn't variant5 or a boss rush or summer of pain. It's just a silly thing to farm some free shards.
    I didn't play this game to get rewards. I play this game to have fun. Mindlessly parry-combo-ing is not fun.

When they announced the rewards I felt like they're decent for a start. And mind you, while feeling that way I expected at least 30k path enemies with wild node combinations and puzzle-esque bosses.

I was so excited for boss-rush style nodes and fun interactive gameplay, but what we got was just mindless parry-5 combos.
    That's what we're getting later on with the Boss Rushes and the other content. This is just another step up from Epic. The data being used for Cavalier is Sasquatch. Now, Canadian won't always be this easy, I believe. It's not Cavalier itself, and it's not The Maze. Lol. It's open to anyone Level 55, Cavalier or not.
    You really don't seem to understand that what you just described is not a counter to what we say, but rather exactly the issue we have with canadian difficulty lol.

What we got is so far from what the average semi-endgame-player-plus expected, expectations that were build on what kabam themselves have published on that topic mind you, that we don't see whatever value the data they're trying to gather from that sasquatch ambush is supposed to have.

That encounter is essentially comparable to the rare un-noded encounters in later act 6. Like the first deadpool in 6.4.1. Similar health, similar attack. And to someone who reached that level, such an encounter demands basically nothing from them.
    It's the first encounter, Week 1. There are 3 more weeks to go. They're using the data, so I'm sure they'll be able to gauge Cavalier accordingly. All data, including who breezed through him, who struggled, where they're at, etc.
    Yes, I understand that. What I don't underatand however is why they chose to start off with a level of difficulty that will for the most part create completely redundant data.

If over the next weeks the difficulty actually ramped up to a point where a player around my level would say "yup that's the stuff", then what was even the point in starting it off so accessible and opening it up to anyone at level 55? Was it meant to be a malicious joke aimed at making all those who can now access it but couldn't handle what we should get in the last week feel bad?

I seriously doubt that it will ramp up to a non-trivial degree. They already chose to turn canadian difficulty into something above average skilled uc summoners can enjoy rather than something that would make me think of the road to cavalier difficulty.

Ramping the difficulty up to a point where they could actually gather relevant data for the most part would then exclude all those summoners they already included with what we currently have. I don't see them doing that.
    The Quest itself isn't the data. The Sasquatch Encounters are. The Quest is a step up from Epic. That was the point of it. That in and of itself has to be that way because it's not gated by Titles. Just like Epic isn't, and so on.
    Okay then I'm going to repeat myself:

That sasquatch ambush can not provide valuable data. It's a beefy opponent resembling the average rare non-noded 6.3./6.4. encounter. Those encounters, like, again, the 6.4.1. deadpool, should not pose a challenge to anyone who reached that stage of the game.

They said a long long time ago that they want to make content challenging through means other than beefing their attack and health. And now to gather data in order to tune the next level of eq difficulty they give us an opponent that is just beefy and nothing else? Doesn't make sense to me.
    It can't? Did they not say that Cavalier would still be completed by newly-Cavalier Players, at least for Completion? Let's be honest. This is a case of expectation versus reality.

Menkent said:

Menkent said:

I cannot for the life of me understand this mentality that is rampant in this game. Players don't even seem to enjoy playing the game for some reason. Content is just a means to an end of getting something shiny at the end of it.

What are you guys even chasing at that point? If the goal is rewards to build a roster, what's the point of that roster if you never actually have to utilize it's potential? Let's all chase all these 6*s trying to get them to R3 and do what with them? Look at them? Talk to your friends about them? Spend 3hrs in RoL trying to make YT videos to get likes? I honestly don't get it
    There’s a lot of truth in there — I want to collect and test characters, develop my skills. I don’t necessarily need to clear every single piece of content to know where my skills are.

But yeah, when I do take characters up to 5/65, or when I get the 6-stars I want to fully commit to that realm, I do want to open them up in content that is tuned for them

That’s also why one of my biggest things has been buffs for weaker characters — too many people run and hide behind the 10-15 characters we all know

They buffed Hulkbuster. I used the kit last night

That’s how this stuff is supposed to go — the rosters should be good, the kits should be effective, the content should be tuned for that
  • gohard123gohard123 Posts: 998 ★★★

Wow, the elitist jerks are out in force on this thread.

To all the "too easy" mob; some people did the last my symbiote difficulty with normal champs.

Swedeah does uncollected with only max 4*s every month.

If you want harder content, it's there for you. But if you want to use your 3/45 6* Domino, CMM or Aegon?!

Monthly EQ is supposed to have a level challenging for your progress. If you've completed act 6 and abyss, I'm sorry, but cavalier difficulty is incredibly unlikely to be challenging for you. The last level will likely make you think, but you'll probably still be able to steamroll it.

Most cavaliers, just like with UC when it came out will be able to get the first two levels down, but are likely to really struggle with the last 2.

This is week 1 of 4. It's the equivalent of 1.1 and 1.2 in UC, for uncollected players.

The tiny number of cavaliers that have act 6 and abyss in the bag, have the summer of pain as challenging content. Cavalier is not going to be it.

And if you want cavalier difficulty tuned to those who have completed act6 and abyss, ask yourself why? Many cavaliers can auto fight the first two levels of uncollected EQ with the right set up, but most cavaliers I would guess have not made it past the champion. So why the desire for content aimed at a tiny fraction of cavaliers who have 30+ 6 stars?

You have it if you want it and have the imagination to fight it. Cavalier difficulty is not going to be it.

Cavalier eq (exploration) was literally officially announced to be a challenge to those who completed act 6. So you are actually the one with flawed expectations.

Also, are you seriously suggesting it's our own fault that the content is too easy? You do understand that the reason why people do stuff like "master eq with only 3* champs" or "uc eq with only 4* champs" exactly because they lack an actual challenge in the monthly eq, right?
    Err... Please point to where in here they say it will be challenging to those who have completed act 6?

https://playcontestofchampions.com/dev-diary-the-future-of-quests/

It doesn't.

They state that they need to try cater to the whole breadth of cavaliers.
    "They state that they need to try cater to the whole breadth of cavaliers."

And how else would they cater content to higher levels if they're not making it challenging for top-tier players?

"At launch, there will be a wide range of Cavalier players trying out this new difficulty, from someone that has recently achieved the milestone, to a Summoner that has countlessly beaten the Grandmaster, the power and skill level can vary wildly. Our challenge is building a Quest that can appeal to them all."
    This first week is extremely unappealing in terms of difficulty for many post-Cav players, which means that Kabam needs to make it more challenging to fit the needs of the post-Cav players.
    Why? Why does it need to "challenge" people that have completed act 6 in its current form and abyss? If they build progression content for only a few thousand people, then they may as well turn off the lights and kiss the game goodbye.

Because if you want progression content akin to *current* act 6.3 and 6.4, then you are ignoring the reasons why they are re-tuning act 6 in the first place.

Catering what is supposed to be broad appeal, progression content to a hard core elite, does not a fun game make. It's also, clearly, not profitable.

Otherwise they would be leaving act 6 untouched.

As I've said, if you find act 6 in its current format trivial, or unchallenging, there are ways of making content challenging. And challenging content is coming, in the summer of pain.

Cavalier difficulty should not be it and most likely will not be it, given their act 6 statements. To ignore this and start asking for difficulty tuned to current act 6.3/4 is being facetious.
    EQ isn't "progression content". That was the whole argument for slapping the training wheels on story content. You can't keep calling everything progression content bc you want it to be boring. EQ changes every month. It's not a requirement to finish every month to move forward.

UC was actually hard for people when it first released. Most people needed items for it and plenty of people couldn't even complete it let alone explore it. That's what we expect for the new EQ difficulty. It will still be there once you're ready for it. Until then, do what you can and then go do UC.
    Or, how about you do cav difficulty with 4* to keep it challenging? Swedeah just took down ambush Sasquatch with Kamala, without losing health.

There are challenges in any content if you want to be challenged.

You have the power to make any content almost infinitely difficult; use 1 star champions to do Canadian. Post your videos here. You've a gigantic roster of max 1*, 2* and 3* champions, so there is a fantastic array of challenges for you.

If this bores you, then maybe the problem is you.
    Disagree wholly with these statements. If he does that then it would not be different from act 6 (6.3 and 6.4 specifically) where the attack values skyrocketed. Challenging content shouldnt just be increased attack values relative to the champion used. Wasnt that the complaint against act 6?
    gohard123 said:

To all the "too easy" mob; some people did the last my symbiote difficulty with normal champs.

If you want harder content, it's there for you. But if you want to use your 3/45 6* Domino, CMM or Aegon?!

Monthly EQ is supposed to have a level challenging for your progress. If you've completed act 6 and abyss, I'm sorry, but cavalier difficulty is incredibly unlikely to be challenging for you. The last level will likely make you think, but you'll probably still be able to steamroll it.

Most cavaliers, just like with UC when it came out will be able to get the first two levels down, but are likely to really struggle with the last 2.

This is week 1 of 4. It's the equivalent of 1.1 and 1.2 in UC, for uncollected players.

The tiny number of cavaliers that have act 6 and abyss in the bag, have the summer of pain as challenging content. Cavalier is not going to be it.

And if you want cavalier difficulty tuned to those who have completed act6 and abyss, ask yourself why? Many cavaliers can auto fight the first two levels of uncollected EQ with the right set up, but most cavaliers I would guess have not made it past the champion. So why the desire for content aimed at a tiny fraction of cavaliers who have 30+ 6 stars?

You have it if you want it and have the imagination to fight it. Cavalier difficulty is not going to be it.

Cavalier eq (exploration) was literally officially announced to be a challenge to those who completed act 6. So you are actually the one with flawed expectations.

Also, are you seriously suggesting it's our own fault that the content is too easy? You do understand that the reason why people do stuff like "master eq with only 3* champs" or "uc eq with only 4* champs" exactly because they lack an actual challenge in the monthly eq, right?
    Err... Please point to where in here they say it will be challenging to those who have completed act 6?

It doesn't.

And how else would they cater content to higher levels if they're not making it challenging for top-tier players?

"At launch, there will be a wide range of Cavalier players trying out this new difficulty, from someone that has recently achieved the milestone, to a Summoner that has countlessly beaten the Grandmaster, the power and skill level can vary wildly. Our challenge is building a Quest that can appeal to them all."
    This first week is extremely unappealing in terms of difficulty for many post-Cav players, which means that Kabam needs to make it more challenging to fit the needs of the post-Cav players.
    Why? Why does it need to "challenge" people that have completed act 6 in its current form and abyss? If they build progression content for only a few thousand people, then they may as well turn off the lights and kiss the game goodbye.

Because if you want progression content akin to *current* act 6.3 and 6.4, then you are ignoring the reasons why they are re-tuning act 6 in the first place.

Catering what is supposed to be broad appeal, progression content to a hard core elite, does not a fun game make. It's also, clearly, not profitable.

As I've said, if you find act 6 in its current format trivial, or unchallenging, there are ways of making content challenging. And challenging content is coming, in the summer of pain.

Cavalier difficulty should not be it and most likely will not be it, given their act 6 statements. To ignore this and start asking for difficulty tuned to current act 6.3/4 is being facetious.
    EQ isn't "progression content". That was the whole argument for slapping the training wheels on story content. You can't keep calling everything progression content bc you want it to be boring. EQ changes every month. It's not a requirement to finish every month to move forward.

UC was actually hard for people when it first released. Most people needed items for it and plenty of people couldn't even complete it let alone explore it. That's what we expect for the new EQ difficulty. It will still be there once you're ready for it. Until then, do what you can and then go do UC.
    Or, how about you do cav difficulty with 4* to keep it challenging? Swedeah just took down ambush Sasquatch with Kamala, without losing health.

You have the power to make any content almost infinitely difficult; use 1 star champions to do Canadian. Post your videos here. You've a gigantic roster of max 1*, 2* and 3* champions, so there is a fantastic array of challenges for you.

Disagree wholly with these statements. If he does that then it would not be different from act 6 (6.3 and 6.4 specifically) where the attack values skyrocketed. Challenging content shouldnt just be increased attack values relative to the champion used. Wasnt that the complaint against act 6?
    Somewhat. The problem with Act 6 was that the content was tailored to challenge the top demographic, and the result which also carried through to Act 7 was it increased the difficulty beyond what anyone could reasonably grow into.
  • YoMovesYoMoves Posts: 1,281 ★★★★
    I will say that I thought Canadian difficulty was pretty simple for the first quest, though I was in for a RUDE awakening on my second path, when I was wrapping up Buffed Up and suddenly a 300k HP Sasquatch appears and promptly runs me over. I got lucky that I was running Warlock, whose infections managed to slow down his berserk, or I would have likely been completely trampled.

But then I just had one champ for each lane (usually Doom) and Torch for Sasquatches, and it went down easy. Excited to see the rest.
  • MoosetiptronicMoosetiptronic Posts: 2,105 ★★★★
    gohard123 said:

It doesn't.

@gohard123 that was my entire point :-) if people are claiming cav difficulty should be like *current* act 6.3 and 6.4.... they want that level of challenge.

My point is, that such a gaming challenge is available, without making progression content behind a Paywall that requires selling your kidneys as the above desire...

Menkent said:

Menkent said:

I didn't play this game to get rewards. I play this game to have fun. Mindlessly parry-combo-ing is not fun.
    Mindlessly parry-combo-ing will get you killed by this Sasquatch, especially if you don't perfectly dex his L1. He actively requires skill to beat all on his own...which is nice on its own, though I worry when Stubborn and AW boss nodes are introduced....
  • allinashesallinashes Posts: 787 ★★★
    Like many, I didn't find this particularly challenging, except for the Sasquatch ambushes. However, I also anticipated that the difficulty would increase in later weeks. If it does increase, I'm curious as to where it caps out.

If it stays relatively easy, I think there's a good chance that next month will be ridiculously hard, and Kabam uses that to dial it in somewhere in the middle for the final actual Cavalier difficulty.

YoMoves said:

Menkent said:

Menkent said:

Mindlessly parry-combo-ing will get you killed by this Sasquatch, especially if you don't perfectly dex his L1. He actively requires skill to beat all on his own...which is nice on its own, though I worry when Stubborn and AW boss nodes are introduced....
    My nick fury parry-comboed him out of the way pretty effortlessly.
    AFTER he went berserk? Being stun immune, having ridiculous block penetration, and being unstoppable on heavy means you can't mindlessly parry-combo after that
  • OnmixOnmix Posts: 508 ★★★
    I don’t like this quest system or whatever you want to call it. Too many paths make for a very long and boring side event

The fights are way easier than what I thought they would be. But maybe we should wait for the others to unlock.
  • Notsavage19Notsavage19 Posts: 2,817 ★★★★★
    YoMoves said:

Menkent said:

Menkent said:

I just mindlessly Parried-Heavy with CAIW. He wasn't a problem at all. Actually, more mindless than the Buffed-Up path. At least I had to bring in a counter for that one.
  • SupremeWarlordSupremeWarlord Posts: 293
    You must remember that no matter what Kabam says or does it is always designed for them to MAKE MONEY. They can say that they want to make an equally enjoyable experience for all players of all levels but if you read the last 4 years of Forums they clearly have failed to do so. By not having Canadian difficulty gated by Title and then to throw in that ridiculous Sasquatch fight in there you get alot of players attempting it for the rewards who maybe shouldn't which results in 2 things: 1) Alot of players spending units out of pride and desire for the rewards (Kabam likes this), and 2) Alot of players complaining on forums (alot of YOU do not like this).
    I heard some of you say "I don't play for rewards I play for fun" or vice-versa. Well I play for both and have been consistently disappointed in both for a long time.
    I think they should have made the whole Canadian difficulty as hard as the Sasquatch fight and had it Gated by title. Then people wouldn't be tempted to try content they have no chance of clearing and wasting units trying, and you guys wouldn't have to hear them complain, and would have a challenging event up to your standards.
    In the past I have suggested that UNCOLLECTED difficulty should not be gated by Title because I feel like I deserve the opportunity to acquire some 6 star shards other than when I dupe a 5 star Champion, but I do not like the way they went about it. Make the difficulty consistent. Don't make the first couple of fights easy and then throw an ambush in the middle which is impossible for most to win (cash grab). I have been saying for some time that they should make more 6 star shards available to people who may not be uncollected because I don't believe rewards should be based on 1 title in 1 mode, and also acquiring will not really give an advantage to someone who is not an endgame player because they're likely to pull a trash champion anyway, they likely will not get the resources to rank them up, and no Champion will help you clear endgame content, only the skill to avoid ever being hit will.

Menkent said:

The purpose of the side quest is to gather data to create the Cavalier difficulty. This isn't about git-gud, holding our attention, or whether or not it's a side quest. I can't imagine that this side quest is challenging for any Cavalier player, let alone the top 1%.
    Probably the most accurate and well stated point I've seen on FORUMS. Well said sir.
    If the content is too hard for some or they don't have the right Champion to counter a certain fight they can't just conjure one up, but if the Quest is too easy for you there's always more ways to make it more challenging for yourself.
    Menkent said:

Best comment ever. Great point and well stated. It's easier to find a way to make the quest more challenging for yourself if it's too easy than it is to conjure up a certain Champion to win a certain fight if you don't have them.