**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

How desirable is Psylocke?

2»

Comments

• BCdiscman wrote: »

I should point out that the video that explains how to use Psylocke to keep the opponent at zero power starts by requiring the opponent to get to one bar of power - which is how to get the psi charge you need for her main power control mechanic - and then baiting that special and driving the opponent to *another* bar of power because psylocke's power gain is lower than normal (so you need a lot more hits just to get her to one bar of power) and then baiting another special, so that the opponent is at low power when you use Psylocke's special one, which is now capable of draining the remaining sliver of power to zero and now the opponent won't gain power from hits.

It is a very good effect once you get it locked in, but all of that initial prologue is what makes Psylocke not as good as Dormammu or Magik or even OG Vision in my opinion. Dormammu, for example, can just do Medium-Medium over and over again literally forever, because the second medium attack drains more power than the first one gives to the target. This can keep an opponent essentially at zero power forever. Once you get two bars of power you can use SP2 to power lock and then unload with normal combos. If you run out of power lock, you can repeat the process. Meanwhile in the time it takes Psylocke to generate a psi charge and gain a bar of power and bait out two specials Magik can reach special two and essentially perma-lock the opponent by repeatedly locking and burning the target.

The problem with Psylocke is not that no one knows how good she is (although not every player does). The problem is that there are other champions with better power control than the video shows.
  • LoPrestiLoPresti Posts: 1,035 ★★★
    Psylocke is useless against champions that have Mystic Dispersion. If you use SP1 you gain a 'power gain' buff and instantly lose it, this triggers MD. So you will never get the enemy at 0 power.
  • Don’t forget her defensive ability accuracy and the large amount of damage she can do with her heavy attack. Just crazy how the only thing that’s meantioned is her power draining when she has a lot more that comes with the package. But, as always. The forums isn’t a clear indicator of common sense.
  • xcd3fkas07va.jpeg

Crazy damage is fun. she’s a serviceable power control champ. She’s held back by her slow power gain rate, and that her L1 is refilled by a power flood buff rather than passively like Dr Strange. Also her sig revolves entirely around her power lock, which only comes into play in longer fights. Excluding md5, she’s not great vs them.
  • UnsaferBinkie7UnsaferBinkie7 Posts: 658 ★★
    The great mutamatt has spoken.
  • BCdiscman wrote: »
    BCdiscman wrote: »

...Also people who say if you get hit you give the opponent crazy power do not understand how to play her. If you get hit you immediately use her L3 - which you will be at if you are any good at all and she will immediately zero their power and power lock & power burn them and you rinse and repeat the power control mechanic.

the problem i have with that approach is that if im going for power lock, its to build psi charges, so that i can drop a big heavy attack. using the L3 cashes in all your psi charges and starts you back at 0.

showing off power control champs vs rol bosses is like cheating, it provides infinite time and theres no risk of them getting to l3

a TRUE power control champ should be able to shut down the map 6 hype mini boss. my 4/55 psy is held back by her slower than normal power gain, and it becomes a L1 fest between me and hype. Magik and OGV are much more effective in that fight simply because they get to specials faster.
  • R4GER4GE Posts: 1,530 ★★★★
    mutamatt wrote: »
    xcd3fkas07va.jpeg

Crazy damage is fun. she’s a serviceable power control champ. She’s held back by her slow power gain rate, and that her L1 is refilled by a power flood buff rather than passively like Dr Strange. Also her sig revolves entirely around her power lock, which only comes into play in longer fights. Excluding md5, she’s not great vs them.
    Going for her in this arena since I don't have her, haven't done any research on her since she seemed over shadowed by champs like Iceman and AA, as far as aiming for top mutants. So does she need to be awakened?

Is she near the usefulness as a power control champ like Rogue who can use an L2 and almost consistently build another L2 non stop every time she uses one?
  • R4GE wrote: »
    xcd3fkas07va.jpeg

Going for her in this arena since I don't have her, haven't done any research on her since she seemed over shadowed by champs like Iceman and AA, as far as aiming for top mutants. So does she need to be awakened?

Is she near the usefulness as a power control champ like Rogue who can use an L2 and almost consistently build another L2 non stop every time she uses one?

does not need to be awakend to control power, but the benfits of her power lock require the awakened ability.

if you want a champ that hits hard and CAN power control then shes as good as rogue. she can handle AON nodes.

if you are going into a fight where you need serious power control, look elsewhere. Shes not capable of handling the immune OGV in map 6, r the hype minis, or old AW MD5 mini bosses. For those you still want magik or OGV
  • R4GER4GE Posts: 1,530 ★★★★
    Sounds like she could carry some valuable use to me when exploring 5.3 while other power control champs are locked in AQ or AW.
  • SlySlySlySly Posts: 352 ★★
    R4GE wrote: »
    xcd3fkas07va.jpeg

does not need to be awakend to control power, but the benfits of her power lock require the awakened ability.

if you want a champ that hits hard and CAN power control then shes as good as rogue. she can handle AON nodes.

if you are going into a fight where you need serious power control, look elsewhere. Shes not capable of handling the immune OGV in map 6, r the hype minis, or old AW MD5 mini bosses. For those you still want magik or OGV

This. She's basically a mid range. But I will still go for.
  • Viper1987Viper1987 Posts: 728 ★★★
    Psylocke has some usefulness in questing, since MD 5 is non existent. I could definitely see a use for her in 5.3, especially if you do not have Magik. There are some power reserve and cornered nodes where I think she would shine. She does not apply debuffs (even if she did, who cares if they are at 0 power) and with MD being a non-issue, she could effectively keep champs power locked. Let's not be so narrow minded to think that champs are only valuable if you can use them in AW (or AQ).

PS Dormammu hits like a marshmallow to all you Dorm fans.
  • unknownunknown Posts: 378
    Viper1987 wrote: »
    Psylocke has some usefulness in questing, since MD 5 is non existent. I could definitely see a use for her in 5.3, especially if you do not have Magik. There are some power reserve and cornered nodes where I think she would shine. She does not apply debuffs (even if she did, who cares if they are at 0 power) and with MD being a non-issue, she could effectively keep champs power locked. Let's not be so narrow minded to think that champs are only valuable if you can use them in AW (or AQ).

what do you mean..."since MD5 is non-existent"?
  • Drummer16Drummer16 Posts: 324 ★★
    unknown wrote: »

Non-player opponents don't have masteries? lol...

Dormamu does hit like a marshmallow if you keep using MM forever. If you do heavies every once in a while on perry between the MM attacks and SP2, you can get some decent damage at 100%. All characters hit like marshmallows compared to SL IMO. Even AA, DV, GP, etc. can't put up anywhere close to the damage of a 5* r4 SL or even 4* R5 SL. He's like in a league of his own...so dumb. No one else has compounding damage output.

Anyways, psylocke could be useful maybe on a debuff immune node in story / event quests? Otherwise, can't really think of much use for her.
  • Viper1987Viper1987 Posts: 728 ★★★

MD5 does not exist in story/event quests, or in AQ. AIs don't have masteries, only PvP modes do, like arena and AW. This makes MD a non issue which is the main issue for Psylocke.
    Drummer16 wrote: »

Non-player opponents don't have masteries? lol...

Dormamu does hit like a marshmallow if you keep using MM forever. If you do heavies every once in a while on perry between the MM attacks and SP2, you can get some decent damage at 100%. All characters hit like marshmallows compared to SL IMO. Even AA, DV, GP, etc. can't put up anywhere close to the damage of a 5* r4 SL or even 4* R5 SL. He's like in a league of his own...so dumb. No one else has compounding damage output.

Anyways, psylocke could be useful maybe on a debuff immune node in story / event quests? Otherwise, can't really think of much use for her.

AA, DV, GP, and Wolvie and those types of characters have alternative forms of DPS though. Maybe their actual attacks don't hit hard, but their neurotoxins, poisons, and bleeds do a lot of damage over time. Champs like Dorm and Hood are very underwhelming because they lack the raw attack power of a SL or Quake and the debuff power of an AA or DV. Sure, he might have some passable utility, but you have to be able to KO the opponent.