**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

I'm Genuinely Curious

2»

Comments

• Light7Light7 Posts: 203
    So it means that there is no pure utility champions in mcoc
  • The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★
    Damage
    Light7 said:

So it means that there is no pure utility champions in mcoc

Dormammu is an example
    Sentry too
    Jkjkjkjkjk
  • Raichu626Raichu626 Posts: 934 ★★★★
    Damage
    Terra said:

What would be a champ you would consider “all damage no utility”

If I had a champ that had zero description of how to play him. No special abilities at all. But hit 30,000-40,000 basic hits as a six star rank 1 I’d easily take that champ.

It really depends more on the individual.

Star Lord is all damage and no utility. I still like him tbh but he could definitely use a buff.
    He still has SOME utility. Not none.
    Not really. Shock isn't really utility, and the other 3 are too weak, short&random to be relevant at all. You can't use him for power control, you can't use him to block healing, you can't use him for whatever armor break is good for. That's not utility
  • TerraTerra Posts: 7,995 ★★★★★
    Utility
    Raichu626 said:

Terra said:

If I had a champ that had zero description of how to play him. No special abilities at all. But hit 30,000-40,000 basic hits as a six star rank 1 I’d easily take that champ.

Star Lord is all damage and no utility. I still like him tbh but he could definitely use a buff.
    He still has SOME utility. Not none.
    Not really. Shock isn't really utility, and the other 3 are too weak, short&random to be relevant at all. You can't use him for power control, you can't use him to block healing, you can't use him for whatever armor break is good for. That's not utility
    He still has access TO them, even if they're unreliable. I would still call it utility.
  • simolazsimolaz Posts: 418 ★★
    edited January 2021
    Utility
    To be precise, damage is itself an utility.
    It is ONE utility; so, a champ that has more than one utility is actually better than a champ with just high damage.
    Also: you can increase damage output to a champ that does not have high damage output by ranking him up. But you cannot increase utility to a champ who owns just high damage.
  • Damage
    Terra said:

Damage can end fights quicker, sure.
    But champions need a balance of both.
    Damage, no Utility, you're looking at someone like Domino.
    Utility, No Damage, you're looking at.... maybe Iceman?
    I'd say a great example of both Damage and Utility is Stealthy.
    I'd personally prefer Utility over Damage.

Nah utility no damage is mr ebony maw himself
  • Hilbert_unbeatable2Hilbert_unbeatable2 Posts: 804 ★★★
    Utility
    Tbh
    Id prefer both in equal amounts
  • Hilbert_unbeatable2Hilbert_unbeatable2 Posts: 804 ★★★
    Utility

Ig better example of only damage and super low utility us rocket raccoon
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,175 ★★★★★
    Considering that I have a well developed roster, it would depend on what the utility is. If it does something utility-wise that’s missing on my roster, then I would choose utility. Otherwise damage.
  • KRoNX1KRoNX1 Posts: 1,089 ★★★★
    Utility
    Is symbiote spidey still considered a damage champ. Most of the high damage champs can easily out damage him.
    Utility
    KRoNX1 said:

Is symbiote spidey still considered a damage champ. Most of the high damage champs can easily out damage him.

He still packs a punch (especially with synergies) but he's been outclassed by the top damagers.
  • Superchampion_Superchampion_ Posts: 172 ★★★
    Damage
    Realistically, you need both to be relevant in late game. Star lord has pure damage with almost no utility and dormammu is the opposite. Neither of them are used in end game content.

The reason I say damage is because it excites people. When warlock was first released, he wasn’t highly received because his damage wasn’t as high as sunspot. When cull was released, he overshadowed ronin, who is a good mix of damage and utility. Cull is damage and little utility but he still got all the attention. People say they want utility but unless champs have big yellow numbers, they don’t immediately turn heads
  • Woody15Woody15 Posts: 544 ★★★
    Damage
    simolaz said:

It is ONE utility; so, a champ that has more than one utility is actually better than a champ with just high damage.
    Also: you can increase damage output to a champ that does not have high damage output by ranking him up. But you cannot increase utility to a champ who owns just high damage.

I mean your masteries add utility to some degree
    edited January 2021
    Utility
    Woody15 said:

simolaz said:

I mean your masteries add utility to some degree
    Yes but no.
    If they add utilities to all the characters, well then they are not differential. So it is a no.
    If they add utilities just to a limited bunch of characters, they are not really worth having (since on the other hand they basically remove utilities from most of the other characters, even just for the fact that they steal mastery point from “universal” masteries).
  • Denzel116Denzel116 Posts: 537 ★★★
    Damage
    Big. Yellow. Numbers.

The end.
  • Rayaan_2000Rayaan_2000 Posts: 655 ★★★
    Utility

Ghost is bad
  • KDSuperFlash10KDSuperFlash10 Posts: 5,869 ★★★★★
    Damage

Cull Obsidian
    Damage
    Texas_11 said:

Don’t believe this poll. Most people will say utility, but always always go for damage. Look at Stryfe vs jubilee , she is the better champ , but her arena wouldn’t go high. Because her damage is not flashy enough, although it’s great and her utility is great.

Stryfe is so much better than Jubilee in both utility and damage
    Damage
    You need both to make a great champion. I prefer damage but utility is objectively better in scenarios like Act 6 and beyond content that requires you to bring specific counters to nodes/interactions.
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    Utility
    Terra said:

solmyrair said:

Utility, no damage - IMIW

I dunno man. In the longer fights, that plasma damage is quite something.
    The upkeep is just too intensive and power consuming. It's not practical.
    Utility

Cull Obsidian
    He actually has True Strike and tons of buffs (relevant with EQ nodes). I wouldn’t consider them as minor utilities.
    edited February 2021
    Utility

Terra said:

solmyrair said:

Utility, no damage - IMIW

I dunno man. In the longer fights, that plasma damage is quite something.
    The upkeep is just too intensive and power consuming. It's not practical.
    Albeit unpractical, he still has more damage than people believe.
    He's a Swiss army knife with a boxing glove.
    Boxing glove goes Twhoop
  • Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★
    Both, maw sucks, no damage, but how often do you see champs like cull being used for difficult stuff because they lack utility (couldn’t think of as clear an example of maw with absolutely no utility from the top of my head)
  • FluffyPigMonsterFluffyPigMonster Posts: 2,069 ★★★★★
    Utility
    It depends on the champ. Both sides can give compelling arguments if you choose the right champ.

Sentry does decent damage and has little relevant utility.

Sinister has a ton of quirky utility but stinky damage.

In the end I think you need both.
  • Rayaan_2000Rayaan_2000 Posts: 655 ★★★
    Utility

It depends on the champ. Both sides can give compelling arguments if you choose the right champ.

Congrats on your succesful grind for stryfe
  • Morpheus_123Morpheus_123 Posts: 792 ★★★
    Utility
    My roster and rank up preferences say otherwise, but common sense has to be utility.
    My example is that when you come across a node where DOT is inevitable, you have to use a champ with immunities. Using a high damage champ just isn’t good enough.
  • Damage
    It depends what you’re tackling. There’s a lot of cases where damage can outstrip the need for utility simply because the opponent is dead before there’s any real need to do XYZ to prevent something from happening.

Also utility is such a nebulous idea - there’s so many different pieces of ‘utility’ that exist in this game but 9/10 most people will grumble that a champ doesn’t have the damage output to make his utility worth it rather than the other way around. You could fill Groot to his eyeballs in ‘utility’ but if he still boxes like a double amputee I’m not going to use him.
  • FluffyPigMonsterFluffyPigMonster Posts: 2,069 ★★★★★
    Utility

Congrats on your succesful grind for stryfe
    Thanks bro.