Summoners, due to a technical issue, this week's series of Alliance Quests will be cancelled at 4pm PT. There will not be any Rewards for this series. The next series of Alliance Quests will start on April 18 at 12pm PT. We will be assessing the impact on Alliances and compensating accordingly, as well as returning Alliance Tickets.

Brian Grant's most recent video

Regarding BG's most recent video, I wanted to have a discourse about if the game is ready for another arena. I personally both agree and disagree with wanting a 6 star featured arena in the game. I first however would like a 5 star basic arena as there are many champions I do not have as either 5 or 6 stars that I would be happy to rank up as a 5 star champ(Corvus, Wasp, Sorcerer Supreme). So I wanted to post this to find out what the overall view was and if there is a timeline for Kabam adding in the next phase of arena.
«1

Comments

  • GamerGamer Posts: 7,387 ★★★★★
    I’m wil like a 5 star basice. Atm I’m rarely rank op 5 star.
  • Texas_11Texas_11 Posts: 1,698 ★★★★

    Introducing a 6* Featured will only speed up the inevitable that is 7*s or whatever they are planning. It might implode the economy of the game, if it isn't already is. A 5* Basic, on the otherhand, will tip the game in favor of FTPs with lower arena scores and balance the game in the long run.

    For the most part. The people that have the newest 6* champs are the people that are spending anyway. The economy of the game is safe because I can almost guarantee you aren’t getting a 6* featured champ from arena unless you are spending some major coin or you grind for 3 days straight no sleep like the old days.

    Also, not sure how I feel about 7* champs , don’t think that’s coming as we can hardly R3 champs.

  • GamerGamer Posts: 7,387 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

    Regarding BG's most recent video, I wanted to have a discourse about if the game is ready for another arena. I personally both agree and disagree with wanting a 6 star featured arena in the game. I first however would like a 5 star basic arena as there are many champions I do not have as either 5 or 6 stars that I would be happy to rank up as a 5 star champ(Corvus, Wasp, Sorcerer Supreme). So I wanted to post this to find out what the overall view was and if there is a timeline for Kabam adding in the next phase of arena.

    As I said in another thread, time is not the issue. Time is irrelevant. 6* champs, specifically *targeting new 6* champs* is a top tier pursuit goal. If you want to dilute that with a 6* featured arena, all you have to do is replace it.

    Brian half-jokingly asked what do we have to wait for, 7* champs? Basically, yes. This game is powered by impatience, and fueled by the players willing to spend past impatience. As Brian himself admits, all those champs he wants in a 6* arena are attainable by just waiting for the featured crystal. But Brian doesn't want to wait, he wants a way to pursue that goal now. That's understandable: the game is financed by that feeling. But the game can't keep the lights on giving Brian a way to do that. It keeps the lights on by giving spenders a way to do that.

    It doesn't have to be 7* champs. But it has to be something. Something that only spenders can get now, and the rest of us has to get much later. And it has to be something that by definition isn't easy to wait for. BY DEFINITION if F2P players like Brian are perfectly fine with waiting for it, it won't be worth the spenders going after it, at least as much as they do now.

    And this goes all the way down. The very top spenders in the game are going after the 6* early bird specials, but every tier of the game has things that players are pursuing. The spending isn't only happening there. People are spending on grandmaster crystals and Cavs hoping for 5* champs as well, people are still saving shards for 5* featured crystals. Pursuit happens everywhere, impatience exists everywhere, and the game funds its existence from all of them, not just the top 1% whales. So people who say that a 6* arena wouldn't just help the top 300 grinders, it will also trickle down and help everyone else, yes, it would. It would remove the need to pursue not just newly released 6* champs, but also everything else people currently pursue. And then what are people going to spend on?

    As I said, this game monetizes impatience. Everything that the top spenders get everyone else eventually gets. Everything the top players get everyone else eventually gets. This is something the game doesn't get enough credit for. Adding a 6* arena without adding something else above it as the new pursuit target is the first step to weakening the game's monetization model of charging people for impatience. If it cannot monetize impatience, it will have to monetize *things*. Instead of spenders getting things sooner, they will start getting things everyone else can't get at all. And I'd rather that not happen.

    Brian's most common complaint, and it is a valid complaint, is the lack of F2P paths to earn 6* sig stones. 6* sig stones are not easy to come by without spending. That is a thing that is genuinely restricted by a partial pay wall. If we decide that a 6* arena is "necessary" because "its time has come" without understanding the role that 6* champions actually play in the monetization of the game, the next rarity tier in this game will be full of 6* sig stones behind paywalls. Because you monetize impatience, or you monetize things. If the impatient decide when things happen, impatience can't be monetized, and things will be instead.
    But can we at least Agerd of a 5 Star basice even if it takes away the 4 star basice arena but can get the 4 star from the milestone in that’s arena hopefully u get my point u don’t really take away the 4 star.
  • Texas_11Texas_11 Posts: 1,698 ★★★★
    To follow up on my last comment , think about the gifting rewards , if you are spending 5k+ you are getting rewards that are game breaking for the economy , but players that are spending that much aren’t the ones breaking the economy.

    Economy goes both ways , for the younger accounts in Mcoc they will never have access to a featured champ because they are going against players who have 30 maxed R5s 11 6*!R3s etc. by doing a 5* basic arena and 6* featured arena this allows the young accounts to finally get some crumbs for less effort.

    Also, the game sees on average at least 2 new champs a month, they don’t get added into the basic pool for 3-4 months sometimes and then the only way to get them is via featured . The cycle is too long to keep players interested.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 12,041 Guardian
    Texas_11 said:

    Introducing a 6* Featured will only speed up the inevitable that is 7*s or whatever they are planning. It might implode the economy of the game, if it isn't already is. A 5* Basic, on the otherhand, will tip the game in favor of FTPs with lower arena scores and balance the game in the long run.

    For the most part. The people that have the newest 6* champs are the people that are spending anyway. The economy of the game is safe because I can almost guarantee you aren’t getting a 6* featured champ from arena unless you are spending some major coin or you grind for 3 days straight no sleep like the old days.
    The *average* amount of units you need to spend to snag the 6* featured is 25000. That's assuming 1.2% drop rate and 300 units per crystal. Featured grinds typically take much less than that many. That many units would be about 417 refreshes of a team scoring at least 200k (more with boosts) which would be 83 million points just from those refreshes, and an implied total score north of 130 million. For the people spending on the featured Cavs, the 6* arena would be cheaper if they were willing to do it. Some would, some won't, but I guarantee at least 300 would. This would have some impact on spending at the highest level, before we account for second-order effects.
  • bamagiantfanbamagiantfan Posts: 13
    edited February 19

    Introducing a 6* Featured will only speed up the inevitable that is 7*s or whatever they are planning. It might implode the economy of the game, if it isn't already is. A 5* Basic, on the otherhand, will tip the game in favor of FTPs with lower arena scores and balance the game in the long run.

    Yeah I tend to agree with this. I just remember when 4*s were still relevant and Blade was out, when he came around to the basic arena, EVERYONE was hopping into arena to grind for him. And I think people in arena to get a champion that can help them get through more content is good for the game overall. Players will be relieved they can pull a 5* Sym Supreme and get past the 6.2 Champion. They'll be happy they can finally get a real chance at Ægon without 300 people shooting the score to the moon and be able to do Labyrinth and the Abyss. And more people happy with getting champions, having more control about which champions they get, is good for the game.
  • Texas_11Texas_11 Posts: 1,698 ★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

    Texas_11 said:

    Introducing a 6* Featured will only speed up the inevitable that is 7*s or whatever they are planning. It might implode the economy of the game, if it isn't already is. A 5* Basic, on the otherhand, will tip the game in favor of FTPs with lower arena scores and balance the game in the long run.

    For the most part. The people that have the newest 6* champs are the people that are spending anyway. The economy of the game is safe because I can almost guarantee you aren’t getting a 6* featured champ from arena unless you are spending some major coin or you grind for 3 days straight no sleep like the old days.
    The *average* amount of units you need to spend to snag the 6* featured is 25000. That's assuming 1.2% drop rate and 300 units per crystal. Featured grinds typically take much less than that many. That many units would be about 417 refreshes of a team scoring at least 200k (more with boosts) which would be 83 million points just from those refreshes, and an implied total score north of 130 million. For the people spending on the featured Cavs, the 6* arena would be cheaper if they were willing to do it. Some would, some won't, but I guarantee at least 300 would. This would have some impact on spending at the highest level, before we account for second-order effects.
    Yea, the featured would be cheaper , but in this game as you have stated , monetizes time. Time is money and depends which one you are willing to spend more of. I think as of now , the 5* featured is nice , but is pushing the lower tier players out of the bracket to acquire champs and grow their roster. The health of the game is not in the top tier 1% of players it’s everyone else. We see this effect by them making act 6 changes as well as making cav difficulty a lot less skilled. Half the battle is developing an interest and when your 99% feel they never have a chance of obtaining champs ( fueled by YouTube) it creates a shift from wanting to obtain a goal to understanding it’s unrealistic to you. The 5* arena is now saturated with 1%ers who can put up 50mil in their sleep. The shift has moved from 4* to 5* , so where does that leave those players ?
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 26,873 ★★★★★
    Texas_11 said:

    DNA3000 said:

    Texas_11 said:

    Introducing a 6* Featured will only speed up the inevitable that is 7*s or whatever they are planning. It might implode the economy of the game, if it isn't already is. A 5* Basic, on the otherhand, will tip the game in favor of FTPs with lower arena scores and balance the game in the long run.

    For the most part. The people that have the newest 6* champs are the people that are spending anyway. The economy of the game is safe because I can almost guarantee you aren’t getting a 6* featured champ from arena unless you are spending some major coin or you grind for 3 days straight no sleep like the old days.
    The *average* amount of units you need to spend to snag the 6* featured is 25000. That's assuming 1.2% drop rate and 300 units per crystal. Featured grinds typically take much less than that many. That many units would be about 417 refreshes of a team scoring at least 200k (more with boosts) which would be 83 million points just from those refreshes, and an implied total score north of 130 million. For the people spending on the featured Cavs, the 6* arena would be cheaper if they were willing to do it. Some would, some won't, but I guarantee at least 300 would. This would have some impact on spending at the highest level, before we account for second-order effects.
    Yea, the featured would be cheaper , but in this game as you have stated , monetizes time. Time is money and depends which one you are willing to spend more of. I think as of now , the 5* featured is nice , but is pushing the lower tier players out of the bracket to acquire champs and grow their roster. The health of the game is not in the top tier 1% of players it’s everyone else. We see this effect by them making act 6 changes as well as making cav difficulty a lot less skilled. Half the battle is developing an interest and when your 99% feel they never have a chance of obtaining champs ( fueled by YouTube) it creates a shift from wanting to obtain a goal to understanding it’s unrealistic to you. The 5* arena is now saturated with 1%ers who can put up 50mil in their sleep. The shift has moved from 4* to 5* , so where does that leave those players ?
    The 99% wouldn't have a chance at those Champs to begin with. The Arena is, and has always been, a competition that rewards those who put in the most Points. You may have the odd Grinder that throws a few Boosts on and Red Bulls their way into getting the Champs spending Units for refreshes, but the majority of people who get them are the ones with the deepest Rosters. Meaning the 1%. Most have never even Ranked in the 5* Featured, let alone the 6*.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 26,873 ★★★★★
    5* Basic? Sure. 6* Arena? We're just not there yet. Availability is just starting to open up more and trickle down. It's a bit too premature for that.
  • winterthurwinterthur Posts: 5,256 ★★★★★

    So I wanted to post this to find out what the overall view was and if there is a timeline for Kabam adding in the next phase of arena.

    Are you already able to win 4-Star featured champs easily?
  • Monk1Monk1 Posts: 430 ★★★
    People need to understand what arena grind looks like at top end. Doing 50-60m without boosts and refresh is pretty easy with big roster.

    I don’t even bother with 5* feature anymore cause at end game 5* champs have little relevance.

    Would I go back to it for 6* champ.. even if a basic one.. yes
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 2,815 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

    Regarding BG's most recent video, I wanted to have a discourse about if the game is ready for another arena. I personally both agree and disagree with wanting a 6 star featured arena in the game. I first however would like a 5 star basic arena as there are many champions I do not have as either 5 or 6 stars that I would be happy to rank up as a 5 star champ(Corvus, Wasp, Sorcerer Supreme). So I wanted to post this to find out what the overall view was and if there is a timeline for Kabam adding in the next phase of arena.

    Nice explanation, and well written.
  • pseudosanepseudosane Posts: 816 ★★★★
    I do not agree with BG on the 6* featured. All it does is possibility for those willing to grind out 3daysor spend a bunch of odins to get a featured 6* champ. It expands the pool of those getting the champ... but barely. That isnt a solution at all.
    5* basic could be nice, but a 6* arena, no ways.
  • Crys23Crys23 Posts: 211 ★★
    6* arena would make the 5* one almost basic. The heavy grinders would move there leaving the 5* feature for people with smaller rosters.
    If you want 5* basic arena so you can put up 15mil and get a 5* that wont happen. THAT would ruin the economy of the game.
  • GreanGrean Posts: 1,373 ★★★
    Can you imagine the milestones on the 6* arena?

    Another thing too is that kabam should at least release 7 stars or something before we get the 6* featured arena because, if you think about it, most people would only put in the same amount of arena points as they would in the 5* arena, which pretty much means that the top 300 people would get a 6* featured champion with around the same amount of points as they would get for a 5* featured.
  • RaganatorRaganator Posts: 1,980 ★★★★★
    For me...it depends. If they start giving out more 6* shards, then I would be fine without a 6* arena. Currently, I am opening 3-3 6* per month, but the pool is so diluted that I haven't pulled a usable/rankable champ since November. That, or launch 6* dual class crystals. Waiting months between decent pulls is what makes this game tedious for me.
  • bamagiantfanbamagiantfan Posts: 13

    So I wanted to post this to find out what the overall view was and if there is a timeline for Kabam adding in the next phase of arena.

    Are you already able to win 4-Star featured champs easily?
    I personally am yes. And much like some tough content in the game it was something I didn't know I would ever be able to do until I just did it. I would even venture to say many can grind out a feature 4 star champ with fellow 4 stars if allowed the time and lack of sleep lol.
  • Wicket329Wicket329 Posts: 345 ★★★
    Raganator said:

    For me...it depends. If they start giving out more 6* shards, then I would be fine without a 6* arena. Currently, I am opening 3-3 6* per month, but the pool is so diluted that I haven't pulled a usable/rankable champ since November. That, or launch 6* dual class crystals. Waiting months between decent pulls is what makes this game tedious for me.

    I know Kabam is reluctant to launch 6* dual class crystals because they need to keep people looking for those shiny new prizes, but I think an argument could be made for like a tri-class crystal. Just cut the pool right in half to allow for some degree of targeting. Tech/Skill/Mystic and Cosmic/Science/Mutant could be a balanced setup.

    Still a huge pool, but it at least makes it more manageable
Sign In or Register to comment.