**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Attacker Ban in AW?

Comments

• Options
    WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    Should be a minimum of 3 and I'd prefer 5 bans per war, no season limits
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 5,476 ★★★★★
    Treinin said:

I will reserve full judgement until we get closer to this being a reality, but I struggle to see how a company that makes oversight after oversight when it comes to champion/node interactions could possibly make this work and not be broken as heck.

I am 99% sure if they go forward with attacker bans they will then release some champion that only has 2-3 viable counters (these already kind of exist in Bishop / Peni parker /etc) that will result in people just banning all of the viable counters and then laughing as there is no way to take these defenders out reasonably. We will end up with an "optimal" ban list and it will just be stupidly broken and they will need to reverse that as well.

AW is band aid after band aid at this point. I swear I read they were going to rebuild this game mode from the ground up, but that sounds like it was hollow lip service now.

Attacker bans might be the straw that fully breaks the game mode.

This is what I see happening. I could even see entire battlegroups placing just very limited counter defenders then banning as many of those options available. Can’t finish the map? Great we tanked our diversity for it. 🤦‍♂️

I’d rather just not be limited on attackers. Remove true focus, don’t ban attackers.
  • Options
    naikavonnaikavon Posts: 298 ★★★
    edited September 2021
    I like this idea and am glad it's on the way. The fact of the matter is war has been stale for quite a while and desperately needs something to spice things up.

I'm hopeful that bans apply to both sides. Say, for instance OP's concern that ghost will be banned all the time, loses some of its possibility if I ban it and I can't use her becuase I just banned her. Plus, it would mean there is a greater possibility of people actually putting some thought into the bans rather than just going by an ideal "ban list".

Overall, I'm looking forward to it.
  • Options
    ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★
    Thinking that only a select few champs will be banned is shortsighted. You'd ban the champs who would be most effective for your defenders, or even ban synergy champs that lower the efficacy of other champs. This could be utilised in some very cool ways if you give it some thought.
  • Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    ItsDamien said:

Thinking that only a select few champs will be banned is shortsighted. You'd ban the champs who would be most effective for your defenders, or even ban synergy champs that lower the efficacy of other champs. This could be utilised in some very cool ways if you give it some thought.

Yeah it opens up all sorts of strategies

You could place a horrific mystic defence and ban torch. Or place a metal defence and ban mags
  • Options
    WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★

there's really only 2 champs who's ban would actually matter, white mags and torch

is there anyone else?
    Quake and Ghost in some situations. Also Reed, Herc, Doom, AA, and probably a few others as well
  • Options
    danielmathdanielmath Posts: 4,045 ★★★★★

there's really only 2 champs who's ban would actually matter, white mags and torch

is there anyone else?
    Quake and Ghost in some situations. Also Reed, Herc, Doom, AA, and probably a few others as well
    I don’t think those matter even 10% as much as white mags or torch though. Not having ghost would have zero impact, in fact most alliances would benefit because she’s not worth the 2-3 slots
  • Options

is there anyone else?
    I don’t think those matter even 10% as much as white mags or torch though. Not having ghost would have zero impact, in fact most alliances would benefit because she’s not worth the 2-3 slots
    She makes certain boss fights very fast with the HS link up regardless of synergies
    i guess, but not in any situation where it's actually worth bringing her
  • Options
    Camby01Camby01 Posts: 572 ★★
    While in a lot of nodes there are counters, some less optimal than others, there are certain node combinations that would make a single counter only. I can see this going sideways very quickly. Wish bishops foresight was somehow absorbed by kabam.
  • Options
    xNigxNig Posts: 7,250 ★★★★★
    I think the bans are a right step forward.

An alternative method to implement this will be to have the previous seasons’ most used 5 attackers based on fight count banned. It’ll be more fair and uniform across the alliances imo.
  • Options
    Panchulon21Panchulon21 Posts: 2,605 ★★★★★
    Most defenses won’t be banning torch. I expect kitty being banned.
  • Options

That's got to be the most wasted ban imaginable 🤣
    Yup, doubt she’ll even be top 10
  • Options
    xNigxNig Posts: 7,250 ★★★★★

Given that she’s relatively new and True Focus is being removed.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★
    xNig said:

She'll be a Hercules killer though.
  • Options
    KDoggg2017KDoggg2017 Posts: 1,209 ★★★★

This is such an excellent change, might come back to playing competitively because of this. One of the best AW changes they have ever made.

100% agree. I like the added strategy. Especially if there are other elements we don't know about yet, like only being able to ban a certain champ a limited amount of times per season, maybe?
  • Options
    KDoggg2017KDoggg2017 Posts: 1,209 ★★★★
    Haji_Saab said:

I have been proposing attacker bans for some time now. Several youtubers have suggested it in the past. It is not without thought.

Yup. Plus Kabam has already done this in Summoner Showdowns.
  • Options
    The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★
    edited September 2021
    This is an excellent resolution to the whole True Focus/Kitty Pryde/Ghost and Quake debacle. There are some good suggestions here about banning champs a limited number of times and whatnot. Gotta wait and see till it happens since they haven't revealed everything yet.
  • Options
    xNig said:

xNig said:

Herc is so easy to fight on D.
    Just making the point. There could be future Champs released with the same Abilities. I wouldn't count her out as a potential.
  • Options
    xNig said:

xNig said:

xNig said:

Herc is so easy to fight on D.
    Just making the point. There could be future Champs released with the same Abilities. I wouldn't count her out as a potential.
    Looking too far ahead for an “if” situation bro. 😂
    That's fair. Just a fan. XD