Gold Event Cash Grab?

Bryce_BAMBryce_BAM Member Posts: 45
Amazing how players have been asking Kabam frequently about whether the Deadpool gold event is returning and we keep getting "We don't know yet" as a response - that is, when we get a response at all. Then, three days before the event is to launch, they let us know.

I will be surprised if they DON'T have gold offers in the unit store for $$$. I know this is a constant thing with Kabam, but I think they should be called out every time it happens. Giving only a few days warning is not at all a player friendly practice and just reminds us of how much more they prioritize money over our enjoyment of the game.

If I'm wrong and they don't end up having gold offers for $$$, that may even be worse because, in that case, I don't see any reason at all for them to tell us this late.

Comments

• Bryce_BAMBryce_BAM Member Posts: 45

so assume yes and plan accordingly? What are you mad about?

You must not have read the part where we got only three days notice, which is the problem.
  • ItsDamienItsDamien Member Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★
    Bryce_BAM said:

You must not have read the part where we got only three days notice, which is the problem.
    And why are you gaining gold throughout the year? It’s not like you only need gold for that event.
    ItsDamien said:

Bryce_BAM said:

And why are you gaining gold throughout the year? It’s not like you only need gold for that event.
    Yes, I need gold for other things and I use gold for other things. I hoard gold, spend it all when Level Up comes around, rinse and repeat. The only purpose of gold is powering up champs, unless this event comes around, so there's no reason for me to keep any aside from the event. An event which the community has been frequently asking about and didn't get an answer on until three days ago. I am at a spot where my limiting material is gold. I have plenty of catalysts and iso.

Bryce_BAM said:

lol whut. You are waiting for an announcement months in advance to gain gold? i dont see the logic here.
    Who said months? Even a week or two would be nice. Three days is absolutely not enough.
    Buttehrs said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Bryce_BAM said:

lol whut. You are waiting for an announcement months in advance to gain gold? i dont see the logic here.
    Who said months? Even a week or two would be nice. Three days is absolutely not enough.
    If you that concerned over it popping up then plan better? Start saving earlier. Even if it doesn't show up you'll still have saved gold. I fail to see a problem here.
    So, I should assume every event is happening until told otherwise, resulting in me having to not use gold as much? That's a really annoying thing which I shouldn't have to do. Kabam should communicate better with us. Can you give me a good reason we SHOULDN'T know about the event at least a week in advance?
    ItsDamien said:

Bryce_BAM said:

ItsDamien said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Yes, I need gold for other things and I use gold for other things. I hoard gold, spend it all when Level Up comes around, rinse and repeat. The only purpose of gold is powering up champs, unless this event comes around, so there's no reason for me to keep any aside from the event. An event which the community has been frequently asking about and didn't get an answer on until three days ago. I am at a spot where my limiting material is gold. I have plenty of catalysts and iso.
    Then why are you not grinding to get gold? Are you spending your gold to rank up champs as soon as you can? Why are you doing that? Why aren’t you strategically levelling and ranking champs during level up events?

The onus is on you to manage your in game resources correctly, not Kabam. Take responsibility for your own mistakes.
    I am always grinding for gold so I can rank up my champs. As soon as I can? Dude, I just said I spend it all when Level Up comes around. Read.

I should manage my resources for an event I don't know is happening?

Bryce_BAM said:

ItsDamien said:

Bryce_BAM said:

ItsDamien said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Then why are you not grinding to get gold? Are you spending your gold to rank up champs as soon as you can? Why are you doing that? Why aren’t you strategically levelling and ranking champs during level up events?

The onus is on you to manage your in game resources correctly, not Kabam. Take responsibility for your own mistakes.
    I am always grinding for gold so I can rank up my champs. As soon as I can? Dude, I just said I spend it all when Level Up comes around. Read.

did you complain last year when it came out of the blue?
    I was on break from the game last year. It's a shame it happened the same that year, too.
    Buttehrs said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Buttehrs said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Bryce_BAM said:

If you that concerned over it popping up then plan better? Start saving earlier. Even if it doesn't show up you'll still have saved gold. I fail to see a problem here.
    So, I should assume every event is happening until told otherwise, resulting in me having to not use gold as much? That's a really annoying thing which I shouldn't have to do. Kabam should communicate better with us. Can you give me a good reason we SHOULDN'T know about the event at least a week in advance?
    Because some events are supposed to be surprises. That's the idea behind events. It doesn't matter if you assume if they come back around or not, it's still up to you to manage resources. You can choose to rank or level champs constantly or you can choose to save for special events. Even if kabam told you months in advance, you still gotta choose what your gonna do.
    How am I supposed to prepare for something which you just said is a surprise? That's not how a surprise works. If Kabam told me months in advance (which is not what I'm asking for) then I would have had gold saved up.
  • ItsDamienItsDamien Member Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★
    Bryce_BAM said:

ItsDamien said:

Bryce_BAM said:

ItsDamien said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Then how are you still so low on gold? This is 100% a you problem and you should realise this.
    edited October 2022
    ItsDamien said:

Bryce_BAM said:

ItsDamien said:

Bryce_BAM said:

ItsDamien said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Then how are you still so low on gold? This is 100% a you problem and you should realise this.
    Because I use it when level up comes around. I've said that to you, specifically, twice now. Because powering up champs is the only use for gold, so there's absolutely no reason for me to save it. That is, unless this event comes around.

Can you give me a reason Kabam SHOULDN'T give us a week's notice?
    Typhoon said:

You mad because you didn't plan ahead.

Move along.

Plan ahead for a surprise?
    Buttehrs said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Buttehrs said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Buttehrs said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Because some events are supposed to be surprises. That's the idea behind events. It doesn't matter if you assume if they come back around or not, it's still up to you to manage resources. You can choose to rank or level champs constantly or you can choose to save for special events. Even if kabam told you months in advance, you still gotta choose what your gonna do.
    How am I supposed to prepare for something which you just said is a surprise? That's not how a surprise works. If Kabam told me months in advance (which is not what I'm asking for) then I would have had gold saved up.
    Thats the literal definition of surprise my guy.
    That's... exactly my point. How am I supposed to prepare for something which is a surprise, which by definition is not something you can reasonably prepare for?

Also, please answer my question. Why SHOULDN'T Kabam give us a week's notice?
  • ZeezoosZeezoos Member Posts: 211 ★★
    There are many things to be angry about but this event isn’t one of them. Just see what comes along and get what you can afford or want. Resource management is a big part of the game and something we all have to live with.
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Member Posts: 5,578 ★★★★★
    Bryce_BAM said:

Typhoon said:

Move along.

Buttehrs said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Buttehrs said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Buttehrs said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Bryce_BAM said:

That's... exactly my point. How am I supposed to prepare for something which is a surprise, which by definition is not something you can reasonably prepare for?

You can always prepare, by thinking to yourself maybe they will do a gold event at some point, maybe I should save some gold just in case. And if they don't ill still have gold saved up.

Bryce_BAM said:

Buttehrs said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Bryce_BAM said:

What is the harm in keeping a buffer of like 8-10m gold, and just treating that as your new 0? Never go below that and you can still rank champs, and you also have enough for any offers. We also had this event last year, so there was always a chance it came back - no harm saving some gold in case
    That is a good idea and I may have to do that from now on, even though it's annoying. I wouldn't have to do it to that degree if we got any advance notice.
    edited October 2022
    Buttehrs said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Typhoon said:

Move along.

Buttehrs said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Buttehrs said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Buttehrs said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Bryce_BAM said:

You can always prepare, by thinking to yourself maybe they will do a gold event at some point, maybe I should save some gold just in case. And if they don't ill still have gold saved up.
    I absolutely understand your reasoning. The only problem is, gold saved up for what and when? It would frustrate me having 5-10mil gold just sitting there which I can't use because who knows if Kabam will spring something on us which I need it for. This is a video game where I'm supposed to have fun. Preventing me from having some of the fun simply because Kabam refuses to give adequate communication doesn't seem like a good enough reason. There are lots of things which prevent fun in the short term with good reason such as the energy limits, daily quests not being repeatable twice a day, etc. This isn't one of them.

Again, why SHOULDN'T Kabam give us a week's notice?
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Member Posts: 9,264 ★★★★★
    Bryce_BAM said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Buttehrs said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Bryce_BAM said:

What is the harm in keeping a buffer of like 8-10m gold, and just treating that as your new 0? Never go below that and you can still rank champs, and you also have enough for any offers. We also had this event last year, so there was always a chance it came back - no harm saving some gold in case
    That is a good idea and I may have to do that from now on, even though it's annoying. I wouldn't have to do it to that degree if we got any advance notice.
    Considering there was an event last year, and always a chance it came back, I’m not sure how this is somebody else’s fault I’m afraid. If you didn’t know there was one last year then that does suck for you, but equally it’s not Kabam’s duty to tell you every event there might be, or give you advanced notice

This game is largely resource management, you might need things at some point so it’s worth keeping a little surplus.

While we’re it at I’d advise holding onto some of your 5* awakening gems in case a trade in for a 6* one comes back.

Bryce_BAM said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Buttehrs said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Considering there was an event last year, and always a chance it came back, I’m not sure how this is somebody else’s fault I’m afraid. If you didn’t know there was one last year then that does suck for you, but equally it’s not Kabam’s duty to tell you every event there might be, or give you advanced notice

This game is largely resource management, you might need things at some point so it’s worth keeping a little surplus.

While we’re it at I’d advise holding onto some of your 5* awakening gems in case a trade in for a 6* one comes back.
    I appreciate the notice about the awakening gems.

Why shouldn't Kabam have given us a week's notice for this event?
  • ErcarretErcarret Member Posts: 2,894 ★★★★★
    Around this time last year, I had a sizeable stash of gold that I could spend on the event. This year, every kind of rank-up resource except for gold has increased a lot, whether it's from the catalyst store or upgrades to the rewards in monthly EQ, SQ, the Loyalty store etc. Despite all of these rewards upgrades, the level of gold we can earn is pretty much the same wherever you look. Even in the places where rewards have been increased.

Meanwhile, as we push higher in terms of which ranks our champions can reach, rank-ups cost more and more gold. Add to that the introduction of a completely new game mode that you might have to rank up a decent amount of new champions for, and I understand why people's gold runs dry. I've gone from having a stash of about 12 million gold on any given day last year to one of about 2 million this year.

Plus, as I've said before, if Arena is supposed to be the main avenue for gold acquisition, then make Arena fun. It hasn't been for...well, has it ever? Is it not just a completely brain-dead grind for everyone involved? Maybe the Incursions revamp changes things and give us somewhere to actually earn gold in a fun way, because Arena sure ain't it. I usually grind out the milestones in the featured arena in order to stock up on units and ISO, but the gold I earn from there doesn't leave much wiggle room for offers like last year's.
  • BowTieJohnBowTieJohn Member Posts: 2,363 ★★★★
    I'll enjoy as best I can and will do so as far as F2P can be done for the event.