**KNOWN AW ISSUE**
Please be aware, there is a known issue with Saga badging when observing the AW map.
The team have found the source of the issue and will be updating with our next build.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Options

Why Gold Offers Would Have Been A Horrible Idea

Comments

• Options
    GamerGamer Posts: 10,421 ★★★★★
    Dragonfei said:

All right, with the Day of the Deadpool thread going absolutely nuts over the fact that there were no gold offers this year, time to make a separate thread talking about why it would have been an atrociously bad idea to have gold offers.

Let's start with the obvious. It's a good thing there were no gold offers. (Attempt to hold your rage until I explain.)

How much does it cost to rank up a Champion? Great question, let's dive in.

6* Champions

• Level 1-25: 420,276
    • Rank 1-2: 529,173
    • Level 1-35: 635,778
    • Rank 2-3: 705,565
    • Level 1-45: 744,083
    • Rank 3-4: 811,399
    • Level 1-55: 862,904
    Total Gold Cost to R4 a 6* Champion: 4.71 million gold (with same class ISO)

5* Champions
    • Level 1-25: 41,339
    • Rank 1-2: 135,642
    • Level 1-35: 106,553
    • Rank 2-3: 271,370
    • Level 1-45: 212,840
    • Rank 3-4: 407,056
    • Level 1-55: 320,890
    • Rank 4-5: 542,742
    • Level 1-65: 507,125
    Total Gold Cost to R5 a 5* Champion: 2.54 million gold (with same class ISO)

(I have data for 2/3/4* but they're not particularly relevant here.)

Now let's talk about ISO (assuming same class 5k bricks here).

6* Champions
    • Level 1-25: 78 5k Bricks
    • Level 1-35: 120 5k Bricks
    • Level 1-45: 140 5k Bricks
    • Level 1-55: 163 5k Bricks
    Total: 501 Bricks = 21 Dupes of the class type you need

5* Champions
    • Level 1-25: 8 5k Bricks
    • Level 1-35: 20 5k Bricks
    • Level 1-45: 40 5k Bricks
    • Level 1-55: 61 5k Bricks
    • Level 1-65: 96 5k Bricks
    Total: 225 Bricks = 10 Dupes of the class type you need

Selling 100 of the 5k Bricks will net you precisely 250,000 gold.

(Before someone says that we need to get more ISO per dupe - I gave Kabam these precise calculations a few months ago making that exact argument - I agree with you.)

(All of this data is stuff I personally collected, calculated, and put on a spreadsheet. The gold totals have a +/- of approximately 15k due to using bigger bricks than is necessary for the next rank, costing you more.)

Last year, in order to pick up all of the offers, you would need to have spent 10 million gold. The last offer was the best one, I remember picking it up myself, since, as a regular arena grinder, I could slow down my rank ups and make that back without a terrible amount of trouble. This year? I wouldn't have taken the offers, even if I could have afforded them - it's simply become too expensive to rank up champions. And I say that as an arena grinder who completes Master, Uncollected, and Cav EQ, does Battlegrounds, and does casual Incursions. You are NOT able to get enough gold to offset rank ups for the resources you have coming in if you're playing in say... a Map 6 alliance or higher, or in a Gold 2 alliance or higher.

In an ideal month? I'm gaining about 2.5-4 million gold. Maybe more if there's more in the side quest, or if I do a larger arena grind, or content like 8.1 or Gauntlet comes out and there's gold in that content. The gold in the Gauntlet? That's enough for a SINGLE Rank 4 6-Star, and ONLY if you are using the same class ISO.

While I do not doubt, for a second, that there were people who sold their ISO ahead of these offers (in my opinion, foolish - never count on offers until you've seen them), and ones who saved up gold to be able to spend (you have gold currently - stop complaining, at least about gold, lol), spending these on rank up resources or shards of ANY kind is a tremendously bad resource management call considering the rate at which we are gaining those materials and items compared to how fast you can gain gold right now.

I'm Paragon, with 9 R4's, and a regular arena grinder who picks up a lot, if not all of the Basic and Featured milestones, and many of the Trials arena milestones. I cannot keep up with gold spend. Even slowing down - I cannot keep up with gold spend. I cannot keep up with the resources I have coming in. It took stepping down to a lower tier alliance, stopping my rank ups for a couple of weeks, and grinding arena, to swing things in the other direction. For someone who does not grind arena or does not do EQ? It's almost impossible to swing the gold gain in the other direction unless you are already sitting on a surplus of gold.

Selling ISO to participate in a gold event has the potential to cripple your ability to rank up champions effectively for months. 250k for 100 bricks? Nowhere near worth it, horrible value in every possible way. Based on some napkin math - R4ing a 6* champion without using the same class ISO would cost you, at minimum, an additional 1 million gold, if not more. But if you've sold all your ISO - you're out of luck. Not only that, if you've sold all your ISO without a plan to get it back (or a roster that allows you to get it back quickly - which is far worse), you've likely destroyed any possibility of being able to effectively use those items you would have bought with the gold offers in the first place.

With all of that in mind - go ahead try and tell me gold offers were a good idea.

Because they weren't last year, and they still weren't this year. This year, at least, Kabam knew better.
    I’m can’t disagree with this you’re 100% right there not enough gold to spending one offer and yes we need more ios tier 6 bricks.
  • Options
    Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,922 ★★★★★
    It's totally more gold efficient to use expiring ISO bricks on useless champs rather than selling them. Great point!!!!
  • Options
    Jeal79Jeal79 Posts: 443 ★★★
    edited October 2022

It's totally more gold efficient to use expiring ISO bricks on useless champs rather than selling them. Great point!!!!

100% this ⬆️

I only rank what I intend to use somewhere within the game. Catalysts are my roadblock, not Gold or ISO. If ISO is expiring in my stash I sell it instead of ranking a champ I won't use and burning up short supply catalysts in the process.

My ISO stash is over 1.2k bricks and with a good deal of that being class t6. My Gold is currently at 52 million and climbing. OPs original post is not relevant to me at all.
  • Options
    SiliyoSiliyo Posts: 1,428 ★★★★★
    Dragonfei said:

Jeal79 said:

Dragonfei said:

Last year the gold offers were fantastic. I have a lot more gold now than I did then before I purchased the offers. I run AQ map 8 entirely with gold. I usually run the featured arena for 3-9 million points and no other arenas. I did almost no battlegrounds and haven't run incursions in well over a year. Somehow I still have 68 million gold. The fact that some people can't manage their gold doesn't make the offers a horrible idea.

Congratulations on being one of the few! Everyone is not you! When you are in the minority (and you RESOUNDINGLY are), offers will not be tailored to your resource excesses, but toward what the majority of the community needs.
    And you are the leading authority to determine who is in the minority? Judging by the overall player base (and not just forum visitors) I'd suggest the guy with 9x r4 champions is in the minority
    Gal, actually, but thanks!

I spend a lot of time in the community - line chats, discords, the forums, youtube channels. I can say pretty definitively that "How do I get more gold?" is one of the most frequent questions asked by players - because they don't have enough. And again, this post isn't about me, or my experience - but the fact that running the gold offers is a bad idea because of the amount of gold required to keep advancing in the game!
    Two things. 1) I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that you’ve spoken to at least 3,000 people from the community. At one point in time, there were over a million registered users for MCOC (probably more at this point). You’ve only spoken to less than 1% of the population and you come to the conclusion that “How do I get more gold?" is one of the most frequent questions asked by players. Sorry, less than 1% doesn’t mean 51% (majority).

2) Gold may be advancing, but Kabam is aware. The gold “shortage” is not a new topic. If Kabam deemed it necessary to adjust the economy of gold, they would do it. However, seeing how no major adjustments have been made since the permanent 30% boost to crystals, the devs think it’s fine how gold is at the moment
  • Options
    Jeal79Jeal79 Posts: 443 ★★★
    And the only reason that "how do I get gold" is likely to be a more frequent question than "how do I get units" is because everyone already knows the answer to that one.

Plus factor in people asking the gold question AHEAD of the deadpool event in the anticipation of any repeat offers like last year.
  • Options
    AntzRodzAntzRodz Posts: 257 ★★

So we manage and plan our gold for gold offers and we dont get em.
    All I see is a F2p event taken away from community.

Nobody care if whales get free stuff when they have millions of gold already. They already get whatever they want, this will be a drop in ocean for them. And Im pretty sure everyone would like some offers even if they are a whale.
    I personally have 0 issues when p2w players get more things. They are ahead regardless of these free (not monetory) offers.

Whereas for f2ps who do grind the game every day these offers were substantial.
    We f2ps dont take these opportunities lighty.
    Even a r2-3 gem have great value for me(even when im a good place among higher rated f2p)

Absolutely Spot-on Buddy... Well said.. not an FTP and not a whale as well but... This is what Kabam needs to understand that events that keeps the community happy is much needed.. not all events shud be free or pay to win but it shud be balanced equally..so that both enjoy it... Definitely the p2w can get better Rewards or resources but that shouldn't be an issue when u keep both sides happy.. lately kabam is releasing events that is moving towards the p2w format... Act 8 was fun & awesome though.
  • Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,262 ★★★★★

I hope you like agriculture because you’re about to farm some disagrees

WE WANT GOLD OFFERS , If you dont want to buy it then dont buy it !
    And you can become enough gold to rank up champs !
    And you dont have to level up a champ instantly , you have time

It doesnt matter if you lose gold , you get gold from everything !
    Is.. is that aimed at me? Or agreeing with me, I'm confused
  • Options
    Moodley912Moodley912 Posts: 1
    Dragon I appreciate your opinion on the matter, I have to respectfully disagree. I would have liked the offers to be present for everyone to have a choice. You either get the deal or you don't, in the same way that kabam puts out amazing cash offers, if you have the cash to spend you buy it or you leave it alone because you have other uses for your cash. It all comes down to having a choice and Kabam took that choice away this year
  • Options
    Trexineffect1Trexineffect1 Posts: 1
    edited October 2022
    Dragonfei,
    You had a well thought out opinion and take on the lack of these offers. I'm sure you didn't expect everyone to agree with you- stop trying so hard to convince everyone you're correct. There's no right or wrong here- just people who like or dislike Kabam's decision. And I add myself to those who dislike it.
    First of all, Kabam's choice and your take, pang too much of someone telling me how I should enjoy this game- how I should think, feel, and choose to approach it. Very few will like that. I'm an average-good player in every way. I'm in an average alliance with an average roster, and just because I like this game enough to play a bit every day (my wife would say too much) I haven't had to worry about gold for ages. I hover around 25 million no matter what I do or who I rank up. It dips down briefly, and then it's right back up there. I was very much looking forward to the possibility of the gold deals. And I know a feeling is very abstract, but it certainly felt like Kabam was headed toward the same or similar gold offers again this year. It certainly seemed there were plenty of opportunities to acquire and focus on gold if you chose to. But if people choose not to focus, play enough, save/allocate their gold, their whining or complaining shouldn't ruin it for everyone. Occasionally there's a big units offer that pops up and if you're prepared with units, great- if you're not, maybe next time. "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity". We were given no opportunity, so I doubt anyone is feeling very lucky right now!
  • Options
    Wozzle007Wozzle007 Posts: 969 ★★★★★
    I didn’t need to sell iso for the gold offers. People can choose to manage their resources how they want, whether it’s, gold, units, iso rank up materials or anything else. By this logic I don’t think Kabam should ever have unit offers or sell crystals for units to make sure I have units available cyber weekend and 4th July. But actually they should have these in the game and it’s up to me as an individual to decide where best to use my units. Same with my gold. If you decide it’s not worth your gold, by all means skip it, but I’d have liked to have been given the opportunity.