**KNOWN AW ISSUE**
Please be aware, there is a known issue with Saga badging when observing the AW map.
The team have found the source of the issue and will be updating with our next build.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Options

Matchmaking in BG needs real examination

Comments

• Options
    ChiliDogChiliDog Posts: 886 ★★★
    edited November 2022
    I have no issue getting crushed in a kt1 video if we are in the same tier and everyone plays to win. (So possible the first day, lol.) I just want the same chance at facing my little nephew if he is in the same BG tier and we are playing for same rewards.😂
  • Options
    BazzingaaaBazzingaaa Posts: 357 ★★★
    Been thinking about this and as a solution why not base matchmaking on the top 15 champs in the deck?
    This will make sandbagging impossible whilst also pairing you with a fair fight.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,376 ★★★★★
    edited November 2022
    Jefechuta said:

Kabam should notice that Sandbagging is as easy as banning the usage of 2 and 3 and 4* champions when u are paragon or thronebreaker

That idea has crossed my mind. At least in the competitive aspect.
    Friendly Matches could use anything they want.
    *In fact, they could even have 3 Brackets. TB/Paragon, Cav/UC, everything lower.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,376 ★★★★★
    edited November 2022
    That may also involve different Reward structures, depending on how it pans out. I still feel that anyone TB and up has no business using anything less than a 5*.
  • Options
    The sad reality right now is that sandbagging does work and while you're going to face other sandbaggers it's actually proving to be a real roster leveller. Most players have 15 or so top tier champions ranked up, so rather than a 30vs30 where roster becomes a more substantial factor - I can't compete with someone with 30 R4s (I assume they exist judging by KT1's recent video having 22), but it's a bit easier when there's just 15 - skill becomes the deciding factor.

I will reiterate the point that I made right at the start of this thread, and that is that the only factor in matchmaking should be the player's bracket, and later in the Gladiator Circuit, the player's points/bracket, depending on how tight the points spread is. Everything else is going to result in three things happening:
    - The noobs get truly kerbstomped by players around my roster strength.
    - Players get an unfairly easy route to the Gladiator Circuit
    - An unofficial division within the Victory Track, just like there was in AW a year or two ago.

I've thought about this for some time now, the gamemode is the best thing to happen to MCoC since I started playing and I really do not want it to fail. My solution would be to remove the Victory Track and restructure the rewards and points structure around the Gladiator Circuit.

I don't pretend to be a game developer so the nuances of this would have to be refined and made more elegant. I would split up the placements like so:
    - 1 - 500 = Division 1 (Masters AW is the equivalent of 600 players)
    - 501-1000 = Division 2 (Roughly 10th P1)
    - 1001-2000 = Division 3 (Roughly 15th P2)
    - 2001-3000 = Division 4 (End of P2)
    - 3000-5000 = Division 5 (End of P3)
    - 5000-8000 = Division 6 (End of P4, ish) and so on.

I would break up the actual end of season rewards within the divisions, especially D1 & D2, along the lines of the current structure to reflect the difficulty in placing here.

My proposal would be that you only play other players in your division and at the end of the season, if you're in the top 10% of your division you get promoted, whilst the bottom 10% get relegated. I would propose that seasons are reduced from one month to allow for a bit more mobility between divisions as there's going to be a lot of players on the borders.

This would allow a relatively new player to advance as far as their skills/roster would allow them and then to play players of a similar ability, and likely roster strength. If that player's skilled they can advance up the divisions, slowly strengthening their deck as they go. If they want to be casual, they can net rewards without having to play a billion masters players along the way. Likewise the masters player no longer has to only play masters players - which is pretty much all I'm facing - to earn the right to get ranked rewards. In my proposal the masters player would fight mainly masters players but they would be earning masters rewards for this privilege.

If there was a two to three week season with a week off where it's just friendlies - with a global friendly matchmaking system in place perhaps for that week - then that would mean that a masters player who hadn't taken things too seriously wouldn't have to wait 6 months to get to the top, it'd just be a couple as they prove their abilities again, whilst a less experienced player who's just got their deck in order and is ready to push has that same flexibility, just lower down the ladder.
  • Options
    _Pez__Pez_ Posts: 226 ★★★

After being matched with sandbaggers almost every round I've started to experiment with sandbagging myself. The deck would consist of 18 5r4/6r1s and 12 1/2-stars. Catch is, if I'm matched with a legit player, I quit out instantly so they get the automatic W. If I'm matched with another sandbagger though, I play on, whoop their ***** and get an easy W myself. No loss there. Now I'm not saying sandbagging is acceptable, in fact Kabam still needs to get rid of it ASAP, but the way I see it I'm just fighting fire with fire.

Haven't lost a match since btw.

It's a vicious cycle I guess, but... If you can't beat them, join them....and then beat them :p
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    I dunno if the matchmaking changes have been corrected, but I've just played 3 matches and each opponent was similar prestige to me with similar strength deck.
    Hopefully it's sorted now.
  • Options
    Not fixed yet unfortunately
    My last 2 matches 😂

• Options
    kevhugokevhugo Posts: 138 ★★
    edited November 2022
    Besides the negatives of this, I must admit, it is really satisfying going against a sandbagger and they drafted 2 star champs. Then, it goes down to the sandbagger having 2 2 stars left and one 6 star so its either they place a 6 star or they play with a 6 star. Feels good beating them like that.
  • Options
    MackeyMackey Posts: 1,597 ★★★★★
    kevhugo said:

Besides the negatives of this, I must admit, it is really satisfying going against a sandbagger and they drafted 2 star champs. Then, it goes down to the sandbagger having 2 2 stars left and one 6 star so its either they place a 6 star or they play with a 6 star. Feels good beating them like that.

Yeah I agree .... karma b***h 😂 ... its equally satisfying to beat a whale too, I find.
  • Options
    ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Posts: 4,044 ★★★★★
    vz2fbx said:

Kabam Jax said:

Hey @Kabam Jax !

Excited to announce that the planned changes to BG Matchmaking didn't work!

Hey Summoners,

So, it appears we jumped the gun with communicating the changes to matchmaking. Full transparency, everything looks like it should be working... but it's not. The team is investigating much deeper into these issues and we're hoping to have answers soon.

Apologies.
    Kabam Jax,

I don't understand the idea of matching people with the same title. It should be randomized, right? I don't think uncollected, Cavalie or TB should expect matching people with their own level. If we are in the sam pot, we should have chance to match with other title.

In fact, even Paragon, there are differences in people roster depth. Someone may have just 3 rank 4 and the rest is not so good.

To be fair, it shall be all randomized. Otherwise, you need to split it in to divisions and people could decide which division they want to join.

To give you better picture, could college football team who want to compete in NFL but complain when they are matching with the professional team? Does it make sense?

Lastly, I think Sandbagging is just part of strategy if the matchmaking is not fully randomized.
    So why is it that an Uncollected player facing an Uncollected player is them having easy matches but a Paragon facing a Paragon is a tough match? What kind of logic is that?
  • Options

vz2fbx said:

Kabam Jax said:

Hey @Kabam Jax !

Hey Summoners,

So, it appears we jumped the gun with communicating the changes to matchmaking. Full transparency, everything looks like it should be working... but it's not. The team is investigating much deeper into these issues and we're hoping to have answers soon.

Apologies.
    Kabam Jax,

I don't understand the idea of matching people with the same title. It should be randomized, right? I don't think uncollected, Cavalie or TB should expect matching people with their own level. If we are in the sam pot, we should have chance to match with other title.

In fact, even Paragon, there are differences in people roster depth. Someone may have just 3 rank 4 and the rest is not so good.

To be fair, it shall be all randomized. Otherwise, you need to split it in to divisions and people could decide which division they want to join.

To give you better picture, could college football team who want to compete in NFL but complain when they are matching with the professional team? Does it make sense?

Lastly, I think Sandbagging is just part of strategy if the matchmaking is not fully randomized.
    So why is it that an Uncollected player facing an Uncollected player is them having easy matches but a Paragon facing a Paragon is a tough match? What kind of logic is that?
    I think that it’s poorly worded. If you’re uncollected, there’s a fairly small window in terms of account/roster strength for the post part. You’ve probably got 1 R5 or so, and a deck split between 4-5* and that first 6* no matter how bad it is. The Cav-TB window is a bit wider but still fairly small. At TB-Paragon is where roster diversity and strength really starts to vary and Paragon has no upper limit.

Up to Paragon most rosters, if matched by title, are going to be fairly similar, but Paragon+ is opening you up to rosters with 20+ R4. So your odds go from skill being the deciding factor to roster being one of the main factors in victory.

Ultimately it shouldn’t matter what your roster/title is, but as I’ve said above I think that the whole points/reward structure needs to be revamped otherwise these threads - admittedly I made this one - are going to continue in perpetuity.
  • Options
    Mauled said:

vz2fbx said:

Kabam Jax said:

Hey @Kabam Jax !

Hey Summoners,

Apologies.
    Kabam Jax,

I think that it’s poorly worded. If you’re uncollected, there’s a fairly small window in terms of account/roster strength for the post part. You’ve probably got 1 R5 or so, and a deck split between 4-5* and that first 6* no matter how bad it is. The Cav-TB window is a bit wider but still fairly small. At TB-Paragon is where roster diversity and strength really starts to vary and Paragon has no upper limit.

Up to Paragon most rosters, if matched by title, are going to be fairly similar, but Paragon+ is opening you up to rosters with 20+ R4. So your odds go from skill being the deciding factor to roster being one of the main factors in victory.

Ultimately it shouldn’t matter what your roster/title is, but as I’ve said above I think that the whole points/reward structure needs to be revamped otherwise these threads - admittedly I made this one - are going to continue in perpetuity.
    The point I was trying to make was that just like Paragons can have tough matches against other Paragons, so can Uncollected have tough matches against other Uncollected. Sure the window will be smaller but that doesn't mean there aren't Uncollected players out there with stacked up rosters (obviously those rosters won't look stacked up to Paragons or Thronebreaker). Think about people who've 100% Act 5 and are close to getting Cavalier, their rosters will probably have a bunch of maxed out 5* while we'll barely have r4 5* (that's my case).

I agree though, points/reward structure does need to be revamped.
  • Options
    Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,922 ★★★★★

Mauled said:

vz2fbx said:

Kabam Jax said:

Hey @Kabam Jax !

Hey Summoners,

Apologies.
    Kabam Jax,

The point I was trying to make was that just like Paragons can have tough matches against other Paragons, so can Uncollected have tough matches against other Uncollected. Sure the window will be smaller but that doesn't mean there aren't Uncollected players out there with stacked up rosters (obviously those rosters won't look stacked up to Paragons or Thronebreaker). Think about people who've 100% Act 5 and are close to getting Cavalier, their rosters will probably have a bunch of maxed out 5* while we'll barely have r4 5* (that's my case).

I agree though, points/reward structure does need to be revamped.
    Is winning an NFl game worth the same as winning a pop warner game? Because right now that's what Kabam is saying in BGs.
  • Options
    I wonder if anything will get done about this. I fear it won't, in a way we've kinda turned around and called their kid ugly 🤷‍♂️😂
  • Options

K00shMaan said:

@Kabam Miike @Kabam Zibiit what is wrong with matchmaking? I didn’t push hard to get paragon and a good deck to be constantly paired against other paragons. Not when you’re trying to get to the gladiator circuit. The whole point is to progress not be stuck in bronze because I’m fighting against other crazy paragon decks stronger than me. Reward the players that spent and grinded not penalize them.

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

You're Paragon but don't want to compete with other Paragon players?

You want to be in the big leagues, you gotta play with the big dogs.

Anyway, it has only been a few days and you have lots of time to move up. Too early to freak out about still being in Bronze.
    Honestly, the guy has a point. This thread is full of matchups that are 10 times easier than anything I've come across in Bronze or Silver as a Paragon. You should face everyone in your tier because that actually allows you to benefit from building your roster. Can you guys not see the loop that happens if matchmaking works like this. If Paragons only fight Paragons then they'll have a much more difficult time getting out of Bronze. If the Paragons don't get out of Bronze, then there is a far greater chance that someone as a Thronebreaker might match a Paragon there. If the Thronebreakers occasionally have to face Paragons then they will have trouble getting out of Bronze. Then those Thronebreakers get matched against Cavaliers. Do you start to see the loop now? If you just stop restricting the matchmaking, the Paragons would be long gong from these tiers. Yes the first few days would suck with a smaller account but once the better players have moved on, the matchmaking will be much fairer as a result. Then Kabam just needs to find a way to earn ranking for the upcoming season so that we don't have to keep repeating this annoying cycle.
    They're 10 times easier because you're Paragon, for an Uncollected player that's an impossible to win match.
    The benefits you get from building your roster already exist, you can buy things from the store we can't, and if you're good enough you can make it to GC.
    Only thing I see is that if Paragons are allowed to play against Uncollected players, Uncollected players are going to be stuck in bronze for weeks. I'm not saying Paragons should only face Paragons but they shouldn't be allowed to face someone that's miles below them and stands zero chance of winning either. Not to mention, loads of Paragon players who aren't interested in going to GC would probably lose fights on purpose so they can stay at a league where they'll get weak players and get points for the solo event easily.
    In that case then that same uncollected player shouldn't be able to fight for the rewards a paragon player fights for. Can't have it both way, if rewards are open to ALL then the matchmaking should be for ALL too
  • Options
    Perhaps the best solution would be to change BG's so as to *NOT* use your own champs.

Everyone get so select their Decks from a common/complete roster of the *SAME* level of champs. ie, all max 4* champs (whether you actually own that champ, or only have them at lower ranks, or not, they will be Max 4* for use in BG)

So everyone builds their Deck of 30 champs from among *ANY* playable champ that exists, all at max 4*.

Your specific Mastery setup (and maybe Relics, that you have within your own roster, but would apply to the basic max 4* champ if you select for your deck) would be the ONLY differences between the 2 players.

Matchmaking would then be based on current advancement thru the BG Tiers, with potentially somewhat also based on your own Prestige and/or summoner Progression (just to avoid very experienced players from matching against newer less skilled players).

And maybe create an AW War Rating style value to players, that would continue from season to season, as a better way to filter matchmaking even if everyone still starts back at Bronze-3 every season.

** Similar to car racing, where “essentially” every car is pretty much identical, it comes down to driving, skill, etc, (and knowledge, and best use, of champs)
  • Options
    Mackey said:

K00shMaan said:

@Kabam Miike @Kabam Zibiit what is wrong with matchmaking? I didn’t push hard to get paragon and a good deck to be constantly paired against other paragons. Not when you’re trying to get to the gladiator circuit. The whole point is to progress not be stuck in bronze because I’m fighting against other crazy paragon decks stronger than me. Reward the players that spent and grinded not penalize them.

Anyway, it has only been a few days and you have lots of time to move up. Too early to freak out about still being in Bronze.
    Honestly, the guy has a point. This thread is full of matchups that are 10 times easier than anything I've come across in Bronze or Silver as a Paragon. You should face everyone in your tier because that actually allows you to benefit from building your roster. Can you guys not see the loop that happens if matchmaking works like this. If Paragons only fight Paragons then they'll have a much more difficult time getting out of Bronze. If the Paragons don't get out of Bronze, then there is a far greater chance that someone as a Thronebreaker might match a Paragon there. If the Thronebreakers occasionally have to face Paragons then they will have trouble getting out of Bronze. Then those Thronebreakers get matched against Cavaliers. Do you start to see the loop now? If you just stop restricting the matchmaking, the Paragons would be long gong from these tiers. Yes the first few days would suck with a smaller account but once the better players have moved on, the matchmaking will be much fairer as a result. Then Kabam just needs to find a way to earn ranking for the upcoming season so that we don't have to keep repeating this annoying cycle.
    They're 10 times easier because you're Paragon, for an Uncollected player that's an impossible to win match.
    The benefits you get from building your roster already exist, you can buy things from the store we can't, and if you're good enough you can make it to GC.
    Only thing I see is that if Paragons are allowed to play against Uncollected players, Uncollected players are going to be stuck in bronze for weeks. I'm not saying Paragons should only face Paragons but they shouldn't be allowed to face someone that's miles below them and stands zero chance of winning either. Not to mention, loads of Paragon players who aren't interested in going to GC would probably lose fights on purpose so they can stay at a league where they'll get weak players and get points for the solo event easily.
    In that case then that same uncollected player shouldn't be able to fight for the rewards a paragon player fights for. Can't have it both way, if rewards are open to ALL then the matchmaking should be for ALL too
    What I was trying to say was that we shouldn't face them in bronze or lower leagues. Eventually we should but I think Kabam shouldn't just drop everyone to bronze when a new season starts regardless of where they placed the last one, doesn't make sense to me.
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Mackey said:

K00shMaan said:

What I was trying to say was that we shouldn't face them in bronze or lower leagues. Eventually we should but I think Kabam shouldn't just drop everyone to bronze when a new season starts regardless of where they placed the last one, doesn't make sense to me.
    Ah I see, yeah start paragon in silver 2, TB in silver 3 and the rest in bronze 3. That would solve a lot I think.

The whole dropping back to bronze 3 and starting again every single season is an extremely lazy design imo. I don't understand how kabam have got it so wrong yet got the rewards so right 🤦‍♂️😂
  • Options
    Bugmat78Bugmat78 Posts: 2,237 ★★★★★

Perhaps the best solution would be to change BG's so as to *NOT* use your own champs.

Everyone get so select their Decks from a common/complete roster of the *SAME* level of champs. ie, all max 4* champs (whether you actually own that champ, or only have them at lower ranks, or not, they will be Max 4* for use in BG)

So everyone builds their Deck of 30 champs from among *ANY* playable champ that exists, all at max 4*.

Your specific Mastery setup (and maybe Relics, that you have within your own roster, but would apply to the basic max 4* champ if you select for your deck) would be the ONLY differences between the 2 players.

Matchmaking would then be based on current advancement thru the BG Tiers, with potentially somewhat also based on your own Prestige and/or summoner Progression (just to avoid very experienced players from matching against newer less skilled players).

And maybe create an AW War Rating style value to players, that would continue from season to season, as a better way to filter matchmaking even if everyone still starts back at Bronze-3 every season.

** Similar to car racing, where “essentially” every car is pretty much identical, it comes down to driving, skill, etc, (and knowledge, and best use, of champs)

Interesting concept but would kill a lot of the money stream for kabam where they are wanting us to go for and rank up/sig up champs to compete.
  • Options
    Mackey said:

Mackey said:

K00shMaan said:

Ah I see, yeah start paragon in silver 2, TB in silver 3 and the rest in bronze 3. That would solve a lot I think.

The whole dropping back to bronze 3 and starting again every single season is an extremely lazy design imo. I don't understand how kabam have got it so wrong yet got the rewards so right 🤦‍♂️😂
    Yeah there's a reason no competitive game in the world drops everyone down to the first tier after a rank reset. I guess it never occurred to Kabam how many issues this would cause, just like matching people through deck rating.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 5,477 ★★★★★

Made it into gladiator circuit last night. The match making was rough, having a high prestige but only 5 r4s being matched with people with 20 r4s after this cyber weekend is not fun.

There is this ceiling for every progression title except paragon. A cavalier matching a cavalier will have very similar rank ups, a tb matching tb knows there is only 1 r3 6*. When I match with a paragon player I could be facing 3 r4 6* or almost entire decks of r4 6*.

There is a player in the ally I’m in that has a 16k prestige and 21 6* r4. I’m 3rd in prestige in the ally but only 5 6* r4. I guess I’m saying there needs to be another title perhaps to separate this massive difference. Doesn’t have to change anything in game, maybe a paragon A and paragon B just to put people in different titles for matchmaking. Not to say we would never match against the two but at least the parameters of matchmaking would search for closest to it first.

• Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 5,477 ★★★★★
    Jaded said:

Made it into gladiator circuit last night. The match making was rough, having a high prestige but only 5 r4s being matched with people with 20 r4s after this cyber weekend is not fun.

There is this ceiling for every progression title except paragon. A cavalier matching a cavalier will have very similar rank ups, a tb matching tb knows there is only 1 r3 6*. When I match with a paragon player I could be facing 3 r4 6* or almost entire decks of r4 6*.

There is a player in the ally I’m in that has a 16k prestige and 21 6* r4. I’m 3rd in prestige in the ally but only 5 6* r4. I guess I’m saying there needs to be another title perhaps to separate this massive difference. Doesn’t have to change anything in game, maybe a paragon A and paragon B just to put people in different titles for matchmaking. Not to say we would never match against the two but at least the parameters of matchmaking would search for closest to it first.

I forgot to mention I think it should only be for VT and in gladiator circuit it’s a free for all. Also like the idea of staring in different tiers but then those that start in different tries would have to be rewarded for the past ones.
  • Options
    rockykostonrockykoston Posts: 1,505 ★★★★
    edited November 2022
    For the most part I think the matchmaking works but then at times I get matched with insane accounts that are not even sandbagging.

My profile

My Opponents Profile