**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

From which country/region you are? No sensitive data please, only your country!

Comments

• Options
    713_o_f1673r713_o_f1673r Posts: 130
    Another country in the world
    Philippines 🇵🇭
  • Options
    phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,688 ★★★★★
    Australia
  • Options
    Sundance_2099Sundance_2099 Posts: 2,818 ★★★★★
    England

Waiting for the first irate post from a Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish person **** that England got listed and the rest of the UK didn't/England listed not UK.

(response which is somewhat humorous, somewhat truthful, and somewhat actual inquisitive..)
    (and no disrespect, but..)
    Well, as soon as you can make up your mind as to *WHAT* your *COUNTRY* actually is.

I’m actually curiously wondering when someone says a COUNTRY (as in an official Country), what exactly is it over there ?

From what I know, yes there are different regions, or formerly separate countries, etc, which England is just one of.
    And then Great Britain (which GB includes Wales and Scotland along with England).

Although not sure what is referred to if you just say “Britain” instead of “Great Britain” ? Is the standalone “Britain” synonymous with “England”, or is it just shorthand for the larger “Great Britain” ?
    And what about which people are “British”, is that also synonymous with just the English, or any of the English, Welsh, or Scottish ?
    *or* remembering further, is “Britain” and “British” represent yet another intermediate stage, being the combination of just England and Wales ? And is that why the Royal Flag does not represent Wales independently, because they were already combined with England prior to joining with Scotland later on to become Great Britain ?

Then adding Northern Ireland becomes the UK (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland).

Which (of any of these) would be classified as a wholly independent and wholly self-governing COUNTRY ?

And why do things like sporting events seem to have different participation, depending whether it is say the Olympics (which “Team GB”, I assume that would be Great Britain, excluding Northern Ireland ?), versus World Cup, in which the *COUNTRY* itself may not actually be what is represented (seems like each of England, Wales, Scotland, etc all have their own separate World Cup teams ?)
    One would think that whatever the official Country is over there would also be how that Country would be represented in sporting events that are “per country”.

(and all that earlier doesn’t even count talking about the British Empire, and/or other Territories that fall under the reign of the Monarchy)
    There are videos on Youtube you can watch that explain a lot of this, but the TLDR version is:

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is made up, as the name says, of Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) and Northern Ireland. 'Great Britain' is frequently used for the UK as a whole for brevity, the same as 'Britain', although they are technically different entities. Only the UK is a sovereign nation that is a member of the UN, NATO, G7, etc. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have devolved parliaments, but are constrained as to exactly what they can and can't pass laws on and only the UK parliament deals in foreign relations and defence. Britain was formed in 1707 by the merging of the Kingdom of Scotland and the Kingdom of England. The Kingdom of Wales (it is not, nor has it ever been, a 'principality' that's a common misconception because of the heir to the throne being called 'Prince of Wales') was conquered centuries before and incorporated into the Kingdom of England. The British flag of the time was thus a merging of the English cross of St George and the Scottish St Andrew's saltire. When the Kingdom of Ireland (which at the time was the entire Irish island) was added to the UK, the St Patrick saltire was added, creating the current flag.

Team GB is called that largely for brevity's sake, again. In the case of sports like cricket, rugby union, football/soccer and so where they compete as England/Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland that's largely due to whoever was setting up the rules of the game and forming the RFU/FA/ECB* or whatever body at the time. I can't claim to know why, but I know there's been resistance to any merger of the FA/FAW/SFA** in the past because England's bigger and got more players to choose from and the other two would barely get a look in.

*Rugby Football Union, Football Association, England and Wales Cricket Board, the governing bodies for Rugby Union, Football and Cricket in England, and England and Wales in cricket's case.

**Football Association, Football Association of Wales, Scottish Football Association.
  • Options
    England
    There are a bunch of dependent territories and Crown dependencies, like Montserrat, the Falklands, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, but they're a whole other kettle of gumbo I don't want to get into, but the short version is they're mostly self-governing but rely on Britain to defend them.
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 8,015 ★★★★★
    edited February 18
    Another european country

I am Scandinavian.
  • Options
    TyphoonTyphoon Posts: 1,751 ★★★★★
    North Vietnam
  • Options
    houndogακιhoundogακι Posts: 157
    Another european country
    I'm from Hercules land 😁🇬🇷
    Καλημερα στα ελληνοπουλα 😉
    Good morning/evening everywhere 🤗
  • Options
    DemonicStalkerDemonicStalker Posts: 303 ★★
    North Timbaktu... Malaysia...
  • Options
    houndogακιhoundogακι Posts: 157
    Another european country
    Greekhit said:

Unfortunately my nickname betrays exactly which country I am from 🤦‍♂️

Εισαι μεγαλο χιτ 😁
  • Options
    MackeyMackey Posts: 1,559 ★★★★★
    England

Waiting for the first irate post from a Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish person **** that England got listed and the rest of the UK didn't/England listed not UK.

(response which is somewhat humorous, somewhat truthful, and somewhat actual inquisitive..)
    Well, as soon as you can make up your mind as to *WHAT* your *COUNTRY* actually is.

I’m actually curiously wondering when someone says a COUNTRY (as in an official Country), what exactly is it over there ?

From what I know, yes there are different regions, or formerly separate countries, etc, which England is just one of.
    And then Great Britain (which GB includes Wales and Scotland along with England).

Although not sure what is referred to if you just say “Britain” instead of “Great Britain” ? Is the standalone “Britain” synonymous with “England”, or is it just shorthand for the larger “Great Britain” ?
    And what about which people are “British”, is that also synonymous with just the English, or any of the English, Welsh, or Scottish ?
    *or* remembering further, is “Britain” and “British” represent yet another intermediate stage, being the combination of just England and Wales ? And is that why the Royal Flag does not represent Wales independently, because they were already combined with England prior to joining with Scotland later on to become Great Britain ?

Then adding Northern Ireland becomes the UK (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland).

Which (of any of these) would be classified as a wholly independent and wholly self-governing COUNTRY ?

And why do things like sporting events seem to have different participation, depending whether it is say the Olympics (which “Team GB”, I assume that would be Great Britain, excluding Northern Ireland ?), versus World Cup, in which the *COUNTRY* itself may not actually be what is represented (seems like each of England, Wales, Scotland, etc all have their own separate World Cup teams ?)
    One would think that whatever the official Country is over there would also be how that Country would be represented in sporting events that are “per country”.

(and all that earlier doesn’t even count talking about the British Empire, and/or other Territories that fall under the reign of the Monarchy)
    Put some real thought Into this aye 😂. My understanding is that the counties are England Wales, Scotland, Ireland. Great Britain is the island of Scotland/England/Wales and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    .. well that says it in the name.
  • Options
    ThomildoThomildo Posts: 446 ★★★
    Another european country

• Options
    JLordVileJJLordVileJ Posts: 1,462 ★★★
    England

Bassicaly how it is, is England, Scotland, n Ireland and Wales are .... a country. UK is....... a country. Britain is ig...... a country. I'm from England and trust me its complicated. I think officially England is a region and UK is country but no on says region of England
    Mackey said:

Put some real thought Into this aye 😂. My understanding is that the counties are England Wales, Scotland, Ireland. Great Britain is the island of Scotland/England/Wales and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    .. well that says it in the name.
    They aren't counties. I live in England ik. Counties are like middlesex Essex etc but u wouldn't know about them unless u r in uk ig
  • Options
    England
    Bassicslly guys, England Scotland Northern Ireland and Wales are all countries/regions. UK is the United Kingdom of England Scotland and Wales. Britain is UK + ni. If I have gotten this wrong somehow thatd is shameful cuz contrary to popular believe I in fact don't live in niffleheim I live in the England
  • Options
    Another european country
    Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
  • Options
    England
    @JLordVileJ you really ought to read my post higher up the thread.

Counties are sub-divsions of the constituent nations of the UK, much like France's departments or Chinese provinces. I wouldn't compare them to US states because US states have a greater level of autonomy than UK counties. Counties can't set their own taxes, ages of consent or alcohol consumption or have their own courts like in a US state. The county councils can set local by-laws like, no letting your dog poop on the pavement or something, but it's limited. They're more used for running local schools, rubbish collection, care homes, the local buses, licensing taxis and running local sports centres. They also own properties people can rent from them, rather than a private landlord or owning out right. Police and fire services also fall under the councils, but due to cross-county mergers or rearrangements of the counties it varies and there's not really one set system. Middlesex doesn't exist as a county any more, although I think it still exists as a cricket team in the County League. Periodically, the governments of the day have decided to screw around with counties and redraw boundaries, do away with some, merge others, create new ones, and so on. There are effectively two sets of counties, one is the old 'ceremonial counties' which date back centuries and are generally fewer in number and bigger, the other is the administrative counties which are often smaller and have names like 'South Gloucestershire' or 'Bath and North-East Somerset'.
  • Options
    England

@JLordVileJ you really ought to read my post higher up the thread.

Counties are sub-divsions of the constituent nations of the UK, much like France's departments or Chinese provinces. I wouldn't compare them to US states because US states have a greater level of autonomy than UK counties. Counties can't set their own taxes, ages of consent or alcohol consumption or have their own courts like in a US state. The county councils can set local by-laws like, no letting your dog poop on the pavement or something, but it's limited. They're more used for running local schools, rubbish collection, care homes, the local buses, licensing taxis and running local sports centres. They also own properties people can rent from them, rather than a private landlord or owning out right. Police and fire services also fall under the councils, but due to cross-county mergers or rearrangements of the counties it varies and there's not really one set system. Middlesex doesn't exist as a county any more, although I think it still exists as a cricket team in the County League. Periodically, the governments of the day have decided to screw around with counties and redraw boundaries, do away with some, merge others, create new ones, and so on. There are effectively two sets of counties, one is the old 'ceremonial counties' which date back centuries and are generally fewer in number and bigger, the other is the administrative counties which are often smaller and have names like 'South Gloucestershire' or 'Bath and North-East Somerset'.

Yes what ur saying makes sense, pretty sure u r right, at least in London tho, individual Borough councils do the things u said like sport centres etc not counties
  • Options
  • Options
    peixemacacopeixemacaco Posts: 1,236 ★★★
    edited February 18
    Brazil

Counties are sub-divsions of the constituent nations of the UK, much like France's departments

My take on this is that people outside GB, UK, sees it as separated countries. As this is confuse, because England don't take part of EU ,but Ireland and Scotland do.

And for example, on Fifa World Cup, all UK countries plays separated.

The answer I give to this was=Unlike in the Olympics, team Great Britain play against themselves in the FIFA World Cup. It's because the UK's football associations predated the establishment of FIFA.
    👍
  • Options
    Thx both.
    So “Team GB” actually includes athletes from all of UK, so could have been nicknamed “Team UK” ? Not sure if brevity mattered there, both are just 2 letters, although maybe didn’t like how it would sound if you sounded out (instead of spelled) “Team UK” (as Uck).

As for FIFA, etc, figured it was something like national pride that they all wanted to keep their own representative teams. Although even if the # from England would outnumber those from the other regions, wouldn’t it make sense to field a slightly better team that might win a little more often ?
    Or do all the best players from other regions tend to “migrate” to England residency in order to be on England's international team so doesn’t really make a difference ?

Anyway, as for “Counties” (no “R”), we have them too in the U.S. They are further subdivisions within a State (like maybe 10 to 30+ local counties except for in really small states).
    And then within the Counties, you have Townships, before getting down to the level of actual Cities, Villages, or Boroughs (or however they are incorporated).
  • Options
    klobberintymeklobberintyme Posts: 1,429 ★★★★
    United States of America

• Options
    England

Counties are sub-divsions of the constituent nations of the UK, much like France's departments

My take on this is that people outside GB, UK, sees it as separated countries. As this is confuse, because England don't take part of EU ,but Ireland and Scotland do.

👍

LOLWUT.

Scotland is not in the EU, the Republic of Ireland is a separate country and is in the EU. The UK voted to leave the EU in 2016, that means no England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland in the EU. Which the Scottish nationalists love to whinge about because Scotland voted to remain, but the overall vote was out. "ERMERGERD WE'S DRUGGED OUT THE EE-YOO AGINST UR WILL" they screech, like they're the only ones. So were the other 70% of the population that either voted against it or didn't bother to vote!
  • Options
    Cyborg17Cyborg17 Posts: 114
    France
    France
  • Options
    England

Thx both.
    So “Team GB” actually includes athletes from all of UK, so could have been nicknamed “Team UK” ? Not sure if brevity mattered there, both are just 2 letters, although maybe didn’t like how it would sound if you sounded out (instead of spelled) “Team UK” (as Uck).

As for FIFA, etc, figured it was something like national pride that they all wanted to keep their own representative teams. Although even if the # from England would outnumber those from the other regions, wouldn’t it make sense to field a slightly better team that might win a little more often ?
    Or do all the best players from other regions tend to “migrate” to England residency in order to be on England's international team so doesn’t really make a difference ?

Anyway, as for “Counties” (no “R”), we have them too in the U.S. They are further subdivisions within a State (like maybe 10 to 30+ local counties except for in really small states).
    And then within the Counties, you have Townships, before getting down to the level of actual Cities, Villages, or Boroughs (or however they are incorporated).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_GB

Non-English players can only play for England football if they meet eligibility requirements which many sports also have, although they vary. It's usually along the lines of being born in England/Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland, having ancestry from said country (Scotland tried to claim Wayne Rooney, one of England's best players at the time, because of him having a Scottish gran, Rooney basically went LOL, No.) or in the case of rugby and cricket, having lived in the country for a period of x years (not sure how many) and played in the non-national league during that time. Tennis has allowed people to play as British due to marriage to a UK national, like the Canadian Greg Rusedski who switched to playing as a Brit.

Many players play for the country of their birth because it's a matter of patriotism. Some switch for other reasons, like getting more opportunities in a country with a weaker field they can stand out in, others do it out of respect for ancestors.

If there were a UK soccer team, like we fielded in 2012 for the London Olympics, it'd be dominated by English players because a. there's more of them, England's bigger and has more teams, and b. frankly, the English players are better; Welsh football is second fiddle to rugby, by and large, and Scottish football is dominated by 2 clubs Glasgow Rangers and Glasgow Celtic who've got more money than anyone else due to their success. When Rangers went into administration in 2012 and were kicked out of the premier league into the lowest level, Celtic proceeded to win the title every season for the next 9 years in a row because no one else could lay a finger on them. Rangers finally ended the run in 2021 after they'd had to climb back up the pyramid.

Frankly, as an English neutral with no dog in the fight, that was hilarious as Celtic fans on Xitter were getting angry over the state of the team and acting all entitled about winning 10 titles in a row, so Rangers getting to win their 55th league title and end their bitter rivals run was a good laugh for me.
  • Options
    Toproller89Toproller89 Posts: 473 ★★★
    Greekhit said:

You're definitely from Turkey
  • Options
    Aomine_Daiki10Aomine_Daiki10 Posts: 1,626 ★★★★★

Nigeria
  • Options
    G-Hun-GearG-Hun-Gear Posts: 1,447 ★★★★

Greekhit said:

You're definitely from Turkey
    Isn't it officially "Türkiye" now, even in English language?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/03/turkey-changes-name-to-turkiye-as-other-name-is-for-the-birds
  • Options
    LeoZedLeoZed Posts: 653 ★★★
    So dude if your last other country has the highest votes then it is biased... I can make a same poll and have different results.. can we leave out regionalism out of it bcoz my poll is guaranteed to be better than you if I put it my way... And it doesn't make sense as to what you want to achieve. Let's have our community together and that's that
  • Options
    EdisonLawEdisonLaw Posts: 1,944 ★★★★
    United States of America
    California
  • Options
    England

Thx both.

Pretty much, yep