**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

NERF ‘EM - New OP Defender Trend

Comments

• Options
    Tairique_turay0Tairique_turay0 Posts: 34
    @LJF You chose to spit facts today I see. 100% true bro.
  • Options
    ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Posts: 3,319 ★★★★★
    Wicket329 said:

Polygon said:

Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

FunnyDude said:

Storm is a solution only when there is no meta

What do you mean? She beats him in various modes
    Victory track meta is nothing, Kabam can easily make Storm & Kitty useless, then what you are going to do?
    Just use your relic when he activates his evade and push him to sp2. If you're using someone like Venom or Archangel, he will be dead very soon after that.
    Doesn't Bullseye's awakened ability at sig 200 shut down AA? I thought it did.
    I've seen people kill my bullseye in 28 seconds with AA.
    Is it happening consistently though? Cause it's 50% chance to purify 50% of all debuffs if people are getting lucky more often than not then that's weird.
    There are more counters /options to bullseye than you think. You mainly need a bleed immune and you can play around the killer instinct by waiting it out. Yes it stalls the fight in BGs, but he has such a tiny healthpool that the fight ends really fast, and the sig 200 won’t be making much of a difference unless theyre using someone like scorp/ham who aren’t even ideal to begin with
    Name all these counters then, if he had that many counters people wouldn't be struggling so much.
    Some (many) of the champs I’m about to say are a stretch or champs that nobody has ranked or require weird playstyles to work or any number of other things, but these are all the champions I could think of who could work through a Bullseye fight pretty okay. Totally not saying Bullseye should stay how he is, just providing some thoughts on who could be used outside of the conventional meta options.

If in a BGs setting - Iceman, Bishop, Storm, Storm X, Onslaught, Emma Frost(ish. Bleed immune in diamond and prevents evade in telepath), and White Mags (use prefight on himself) all have direct counters in their kits.

Then you’ve got weirder options who counter what I consider to be the bigger part of Bullseye’s threat, his Killer Instinct - Mole Man, Nick Fury, Night Thrasher (board attacks can’t be evaded), Ghost, Punisher2099 (dance around a little at the start of the fight to get full battery charge, then go after him. He’ll be dead before he gets a bar of power), both tech Visions after a little set up (same idea, power control), Aarkus (easy to maintain coldsnap), Dormammu (yeah, I know, fists of velvet, but he has absolute power control over the fight), Doc Voodoo (power control like Dormammu once he gets his sp2. Not super realistic, I know, but you asked for all of them), and, of course, Archangel.

Finally, only available outside of BGs, there’s every bleed immune #hero or #metal champ in the game w/ the White Mags prefight.

Again, all of this is not to say that Bullseye isn’t overtuned as a defender, just answering your question.
    Right but all the non bleed immune champs you mentioned will still take chip damage to some extent. Are they really viable counters if they take unavoidable damage? A single sp1 on block will take 15%-20% of your healthans there's nothing you can do about it. In Gamma 1 losing 20% of your health is usually a loss already, I'd assume in the upper leagues it's even worse.

Also, some of the counters you mentioned like Iceman (mine's r4 sig 200 yes I have tested it already) Voodoo and Dormammu are waaay too slow to be viable for BGs.
  • Options
    Wicket329Wicket329 Posts: 3,035 ★★★★★

@Wicket329 and you missed the most wierdest bullseye counter, gorr.
    Just let him evade and take specials on the face, and you'll heal back to 100% health with 11 regen buffs.

I also forgot Lady Deathstrike who can do it he same kind of thing and a potential fun but only partial counter: Man-Thing. Bleed immune doesn’t take multiplier damage from critical hits. No idea how his unstoppable heavy might interact with a parry/heavy at Bullseye with Killer Instinct active.

Wicket329 said:

Polygon said:

Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

FunnyDude said:

Victory track meta is nothing, Kabam can easily make Storm & Kitty useless, then what you are going to do?
    Just use your relic when he activates his evade and push him to sp2. If you're using someone like Venom or Archangel, he will be dead very soon after that.
    Is it happening consistently though? Cause it's 50% chance to purify 50% of all debuffs if people are getting lucky more often than not then that's weird.
    There are more counters /options to bullseye than you think. You mainly need a bleed immune and you can play around the killer instinct by waiting it out. Yes it stalls the fight in BGs, but he has such a tiny healthpool that the fight ends really fast, and the sig 200 won’t be making much of a difference unless theyre using someone like scorp/ham who aren’t even ideal to begin with
    Name all these counters then, if he had that many counters people wouldn't be struggling so much.
    Some (many) of the champs I’m about to say are a stretch or champs that nobody has ranked or require weird playstyles to work or any number of other things, but these are all the champions I could think of who could work through a Bullseye fight pretty okay. Totally not saying Bullseye should stay how he is, just providing some thoughts on who could be used outside of the conventional meta options.

If in a BGs setting - Iceman, Bishop, Storm, Storm X, Onslaught, Emma Frost(ish. Bleed immune in diamond and prevents evade in telepath), and White Mags (use prefight on himself) all have direct counters in their kits.

Then you’ve got weirder options who counter what I consider to be the bigger part of Bullseye’s threat, his Killer Instinct - Mole Man, Nick Fury, Night Thrasher (board attacks can’t be evaded), Ghost, Punisher2099 (dance around a little at the start of the fight to get full battery charge, then go after him. He’ll be dead before he gets a bar of power), both tech Visions after a little set up (same idea, power control), Aarkus (easy to maintain coldsnap), Dormammu (yeah, I know, fists of velvet, but he has absolute power control over the fight), Doc Voodoo (power control like Dormammu once he gets his sp2. Not super realistic, I know, but you asked for all of them), and, of course, Archangel.

Finally, only available outside of BGs, there’s every bleed immune #hero or #metal champ in the game w/ the White Mags prefight.

Again, all of this is not to say that Bullseye isn’t overtuned as a defender, just answering your question.
    Right but all the non bleed immune champs you mentioned will still take chip damage to some extent. Are they really viable counters if they take unavoidable damage? A single sp1 on block will take 15%-20% of your healthans there's nothing you can do about it. In Gamma 1 losing 20% of your health is usually a loss already, I'd assume in the upper leagues it's even worse.

Also, some of the counters you mentioned like Iceman (mine's r4 sig 200 yes I have tested it already) Voodoo and Dormammu are waaay too slow to be viable for BGs.
    That’s why I didn’t include Dorm and Voodoo on the BGs list. Iceman can absolutely do enough damage if you’re willing to invest in him. I took mine to R5 shortly after his buff and I’ve had no regrets and I’m gonna ascend him in the very near future. He very efficiently works through a BG healthpool. And I don’t believe Bullseye has a particularly impressive healthpool, so champions who might otherwise be lacking in damage might still be sufficient in this context.

Again, I’m not here arguing that Bullseye is balanced. But several of the champs I mentioned are viable counters because of their power control which prevents Bullseye from ever throwing that special that you’re worried about.
  • Options
    EdisonLawEdisonLaw Posts: 1,950 ★★★★
    Well you can skill your way around them, learning how to dex Onslaught’s sp1, blocking Serpent’s ranged attacks and avoiding the melee strikes, and baiting a sp1 from Bullseye but there is still the fun and interactive damage
  • Options
    Wicket329 said:

Just let him evade and take specials on the face, and you'll heal back to 100% health with 11 regen buffs.

I also forgot Lady Deathstrike who can do it he same kind of thing and a potential fun but only partial counter: Man-Thing. Bleed immune doesn’t take multiplier damage from critical hits. No idea how his unstoppable heavy might interact with a parry/heavy at Bullseye with Killer Instinct active.

Wicket329 said:

Polygon said:

Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

FunnyDude said:

That’s why I didn’t include Dorm and Voodoo on the BGs list. Iceman can absolutely do enough damage if you’re willing to invest in him. I took mine to R5 shortly after his buff and I’ve had no regrets and I’m gonna ascend him in the very near future. He very efficiently works through a BG healthpool. And I don’t believe Bullseye has a particularly impressive healthpool, so champions who might otherwise be lacking in damage might still be sufficient in this context.

Again, I’m not here arguing that Bullseye is balanced. But several of the champs I mentioned are viable counters because of their power control which prevents Bullseye from ever throwing that special that you’re worried about.
    Have you been able to successfully kill Bullseye in under a minute with Iceman? (cause I haven't) If yes, what strategy did you use?

They're not viable counters if they either take loads of chip damage or go over a minute, they may be outside of BGs but no good enough for BGs. If you play in the higher leagues in GC (which I assume you do) you'll understand why full health bar and sub 60 secs fights matter, if an attacker can't do both at the same time you will most likely lose unless you trapped your opponent with a nasty defender too which doesn't happen that often. I'm all for tough defenders like Photon Serpent and Onslaught but Bullseye is just too much, he's on a whole new level compared to those two.

Also, you claim you aren't arguing the fact that he's busted on defense but then proceed to also say there are loads of viable counters. If there are so many viable counters why are people struggling so much against him? More importantly, how could he be busted if there are so many viable counters? I'm willing to bet at least 75% of the "viable" counters you mentioned, won't get you a win in BGs, if they did people wouldn't be struggling this much.
  • Options
    Tairique_turay0Tairique_turay0 Posts: 34
    @NüΚΞ bro 100% facts. So true that Kabam won’t address your reply because there’s no way they can without looking silly. So many huge issues in the game and my forums post only adressesb1 of them.
  • Options
    Wicket329Wicket329 Posts: 3,035 ★★★★★

Wicket329 said:

Wicket329 said:

Polygon said:

Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

FunnyDude said:

Have you been able to successfully kill Bullseye in under a minute with Iceman? (cause I haven't) If yes, what strategy did you use?

They're not viable counters if they either take loads of chip damage or go over a minute, they may be outside of BGs but no good enough for BGs. If you play in the higher leagues in GC (which I assume you do) you'll understand why full health bar and sub 60 secs fights matter, if an attacker can't do both at the same time you will most likely lose unless you trapped your opponent with a nasty defender too which doesn't happen that often. I'm all for tough defenders like Photon Serpent and Onslaught but Bullseye is just too much, he's on a whole new level compared to those two.

Also, you claim you aren't arguing the fact that he's busted on defense but then proceed to also say there are loads of viable counters. If there are so many viable counters why are people struggling so much against him? More importantly, how could he be busted if there are so many viable counters? I'm willing to bet at least 75% of the "viable" counters you mentioned, won't get you a win in BGs, if they did people wouldn't be struggling this much.
    Nah, you’re misunderstanding what I’m saying. I only named a few for viable BGs counters. The others are more geared towards War or whatever content Kabam might throw in the future. I’d be shocked if we go through all the Seasons of Suffering without getting a Bullseye boss, and that's where these other options come in.

Although I do actually really like the idea of Punisher2099 for him. Might make him my next tech rank up project. If I do, I’ll check back in with a big Bullseye matchup and we’ll see how he did (I could be so wrong but P2099 is fun so I’m willing to risk it).
  • Options
    Wicket329 said:

Wicket329 said:

Wicket329 said:

Polygon said:

Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

FunnyDude said:

Nah, you’re misunderstanding what I’m saying. I only named a few for viable BGs counters. The others are more geared towards War or whatever content Kabam might throw in the future. I’d be shocked if we go through all the Seasons of Suffering without getting a Bullseye boss, and that's where these other options come in.

Although I do actually really like the idea of Punisher2099 for him. Might make him my next tech rank up project. If I do, I’ll check back in with a big Bullseye matchup and we’ll see how he did (I could be so wrong but P2099 is fun so I’m willing to risk it).
    I don't think Bullseye is that much of a problem outside of BGs, not for me at least personally but that's because I can pick any champ I want whenever I want. In BGs however yeah different story, his whole kit is way too restrictive imo. I guess we can agree that there aren't that many viable ones for BGs, which is all I was saying.
    Really hope they tune it down and instead give him more damage offensively cause he feels like a wet noodle sometimes.
  • Options
    BringPopcornBringPopcorn Posts: 2,739 ★★★★★
    Unpopular opinion..
    Nerf em cause I dont have them...
  • Options
    BigBlueOxBigBlueOx Posts: 1,587 ★★★★★
    FunnyDude said:

I’m surprised so many people are using this thread as a chance for showing off skills,
    even after Kabam admitted they are doing something wrong,

Agreed. What sucks is in the current state of overpowered AI (watch any of the CCP Carina challenge streams by their creators, they all get caught complaining) and dropped inputs/framerates/lag that only benefit the defender… it’s so hard to accurately call out how hard these defenders are.
  • Options
    LJFLJF Posts: 172 ★★★

Unpopular opinion..
    Nerf em cause I dont have them...

Interestingly, I find in my own experience that defenders become less difficult once I play them offensively. I suppose I learn how they work through experience, which in turn allows me to counter them more effectively. Naturally the toughest defenders are the ones I don't have.

Of course this also raises the issue of the gap between whales who purchase every Valiant early preview bundle vs. F2P and those that spend, but not excessively. Because spenders have greater guaranteed access to a competitive form of the newest champ as soon as it's released, naturally they develop a leg up on countering that champ. That's not an indictment of spending, but more about how spending creates yet another advantage in the current system of allowing Valiant early access to 6* champs that they can immediately ascend for a somewhat high, but not excessive, price.
  • Options
    IvarTheBonelessIvarTheBoneless Posts: 1,247 ★★★★

FunnyDude said:

She might beat him but in my opinion she isn't a counter if you take that much damage while he does sp1. I need a bleed immune/resistant/negate the damage in some other way to counter bullseye
  • Options
    Ercarret said:

I don't necessarily have a problem with Kabam releasing these champions as such, but I think one pretty stark problem is the increased way to acquire them quickly.

What do I mean by that?

If we look at how things were a year ago, there was basically just one way to acquire a new champion quickly, and that was via the featured 6* crystal when it came along. (I'm disregarding people whaling out on cav crystals here since that wasn't a relatively reliable way to aquire them.)

Today, we instead have three ways to aquire a new champion. The first one is through the release bundles where Valiant players can get a hold of a 6*. We're not yet at a point where 6*s have been phased out, so getting a meta defender as a 6* on day 1 is definitely a good thing. Compared to how things were a year ago, there's also no chance involved. You pay for the bundle, you get the 6* guaranteed.

Meanwhile, the chance to get those new shiny champions from the featured 6* crystal is the same as it was a year ago.

However, now we also have the 7* versions to contend with. Unlike a year ago, where the 5 and 6*s were not comparable, the 6 and 7*s very much are. It's something that'll eventually be phased out whenever Kabam decides to release more r3 materials into the Contest, but for now, 7r2s and ascended 6r5s are roughly the same.

The result is that players can now aquire them as both 6 and 7*s as well as outright buy a 6* of every champion with no RNG involved, which at least in my experience has led to a feeling that everyone has every champion. It's of course not entirely true and the more accurate picture is that a lot more people have at least one or a couple of these new super tough defenders, but that's bad enough. Where you were previously kind of slowly introduced to new champions and had time to find coping strategies, you now have to face them immediately and relentlessly. This makes it tough to learn how to counter them properly.

I think the game is in kind of a rough spot at the moment due to this. It's something that's going to become less and less of a problem as 6*s starts getting phased out eventually, but for now, it's a bit of a problem.

Well said. Wonderful post, this.
  • Options

FunnyDude said:

She might beat him but in my opinion she isn't a counter if you take that much damage while he does sp1. I need a bleed immune/resistant/negate the damage in some other way to counter bullseye
    This, what's the point of her being able to beat him if you lose 30% of your health from block damage alone which is 100% unavoidable. In Gamma 3 and above that's most likely a loss.
  • Options
    BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Posts: 2,285 ★★★★★
    Is the basic complaint that a given defender champ doesn't always have a readily available nemesis that face-rolls them? If you get through the fight with 20% health left, didn't you still win? What's the cutoff for great counter, 80% to full yellow bar? Any less than that and the champ needs a nerf?

Sometimes you take damage. If you could safely and easily smack up anyone with any of your favorite dozen champs, would that be better? Defender champs get on my nerves because I think Kabam should focus more on champs you play and not as many champs that are placed. If I have trouble with them as defenders, that's usually down to unfamiliarity and not unfairness. Sometimes wins aren't clean. That's not super awesome for BGs, but BGs isn't the entire game. If you have a tough time in AW and have to take some deaths to clear a node, it is what it is. Kabam has said for years that alliances crushing the entire map wasn't to their liking.
  • Options
    BeeweeBeewee Posts: 533 ★★★★
    To be honest I like a lot of the defenders released…. Except bullseye. He’s just not fun or rewarding to fight it’s just guaranteed chip damage without any counter play. The same can be said for onslaught but onslaught is not nearly as extreme damage wise on defense and doesnt have ways to straight up evade attacks.
  • Options
    BigBlueOxBigBlueOx Posts: 1,587 ★★★★★
    Beewee said:

To be honest I like a lot of the defenders released…. Except bullseye. He’s just not fun or rewarding to fight it’s just guaranteed chip damage without any counter play. The same can be said for onslaught but onslaught is not nearly as extreme damage wise on defense and doesnt have ways to straight up evade attacks.

Completely agree, he’s conceptually reverse Electro. It’s not “hard” to deal with, you just mitigate the annoyance and hit him in the open windows. There’s minor to no skill reward, just pain and draft luck
  • Options
    Drax_ReflexologistDrax_Reflexologist Posts: 120 ★★
    Lots of good points. Glad for the response, just adding my 2 cents. Very unhappy with the constant passive damage and shutdown of willpower.
    Going to try to make a positive contribution rather than just vent.
    Reduce/eliminate passive damage and keep willpower if you have class advantage on attack.
  • Options
    Red867Red867 Posts: 25
    I just looked at the aw map and feel sick to my stomach. Very few counters to already hard defenders that difficultly is now doubled by tactic but to put the icing on the cake is the few counters are banned. For real of your going to introduce a super tough meta then throw hard to fight champs in that meta let's aleast whitelist the counters. I'm pretty sure this will be my last serious war season. The ai has got even more insane than it was. Tatic are out of hand and defenders are nuts. What happened to the fun? Funniest part is kabam Mike responds and says something along the lines that they hear us and are going to tone down the defenders in the next couple months.. So wait this was going to keep getting worse wtf?! I just don't know anymore
  • Options
    TheCoverGirlTheCoverGirl Posts: 78
    Kabam Mike when creating defenders for MCOC...
    https://youtu.be/-NXSV6iZsog
  • Options
    EakomoEakomo Posts: 44
    It's going to be interesting how arena and other games modes will be when we have meta defenders who cant easily counter
  • Options
    GrO_ot78GrO_ot78 Posts: 370 ★★
    Eakomo said:

It's going to be interesting how arena and other games modes will be when we have meta defenders who cant easily counter

It's already happening, the number of Onslaughts and Bullseyes in arenas is painful at the moment...and the arena is already overflowing with Absmans and Bishops, which also require special counters. I get 20 + 6 mill in the arena each round, for the 6-10% rewards. So I don't play terribly much anymore, but if we start losing x3 because of these defenders, I'll stop playing arena altogether.