Options

Quake and Magik are Just the First Victims of rarity Obsolescence

Comments

• Options
    gohard123gohard123 Posts: 1,005 ★★★
    Personally, I'd rather let Kabam make these champions obsolete than actively tuning down these champions mainly due to the high cost of champion acquisition. You cant let RNG be this widespread and then after I finally get an OP champion you decide to nerf it. Even with the ongoing re-balancing program, people have a chance to use an OP champion for months (by paying or grinding arena) before it is rebalanced for the wider community. Until this new runestone (champion acquisition method) is more common place, I will rather these OP champions be left in the past.
  • Options

Kabam doesn’t need to change. This absolutely childish community needs to change. Never before have I seen a competitive multiplayer game where the word nerf was treated like such a dirty word. Like something that should NEVER happen instead of, like it is in any game from League of Legends to Fortnite, a completely normal thing. It is irrational, its childish. Its stupid and without good reasoning.

I look forward to the day Kabam finally just says “Screw it” and takes a nerf bat to Herc, alongside reworks for Quake and Magick. You dont fix a problem by ignoring it and sweeping it under the rug. You FIX it. The children who cry over it can get stuffed.

This game is overwhelmingly a PVE game. Even in the PVP modes you only face an AI. League of legend champions are free to acquire, the monetisation between this game and the ones you mentioned are vastly different.
  • Options
    DarknessFallsDarknessFalls Posts: 131 ★★
    edited March 28
    I donno why this discussion is still happening, for an average players it's already a struggle to acquire so many champs with the rng system, and it's not like there is a shortage of champs, we get 2 new every month. So personally I am fine if some champs don't get released as 7 stars or be it 6 stars, would be nice if they did, but lot of people enjoy them as they are.

I don't see why kabam would wanna create more problems by changing that suddenly and alienating a certain player base.

Cause, at the end of the day outside of 1% players at the top, we haven't even opened a titan crystal, sometimes you want a featured 6* champ, and can open 30 featured crystal and still nothing.

And there are certain champs wanna lvl up and play more in my roster, but I can't cause now content is also champion specific. So does it even matter here.

Also, I don't get the certain player base crying herc is op and broken and boring why would you play that, want it to be nerfed so that it can be released as 7 star, what is this logic ?
  • Options
    ForumerForumer Posts: 98 ★★
    edited March 28

I donno why this discussion is still happening, for an average players it's already a struggle to acquire so many champs with the rng system, and it's not like there is a shortage of champs, we get 2 new every month. So personally I am fine if some champs don't get released as 7 stars or be it 6 stars, would be nice if they did, but lot of people enjoy them as they are.

I don't see why kabam would wanna create more problems by changing that suddenly and alienating a certain player base.

Cause, at the end of the day outside of 1% players at the top, we haven't even opened a titan crystal, sometimes you want a featured 6* champ, and can open 30 featured crystal and still nothing.

And there are certain champs wanna lvl up and play more in my roster, but I can't cause now content is also champion specific. So does it even matter here.

Also, I don't get the certain player base crying herc is op and broken and boring why would you play that, want it to be nerfed so that it can be released as 7 star, what is this logic ?

It’s still happening because it can happen now, or in 4-5 years when all the champions mentioned above are at 50% of the raw power of other champs and completely useless. At that points, there’s no turning back and champs like Hercules, the Summoner’s Choice Winner, will never be useable again.
  • Options
    DarknessFallsDarknessFalls Posts: 131 ★★
    Forumer said:

It’s still happening because it can happen now, or in 4-5 years when all the champions mentioned above are at 50% of the raw power of other champs and completely useless. At that points, there’s no turning back and champs like Hercules, the Summoner’s Choice Winner, will never be useable again.
    Who knows what anyone will be doing in 4-5 years, also in 5 years we will atleast have 60 more new champs, at the end of they day we only utilise a limited pool of champions, let people be happy with what they have and there are so many options here to choose, no need to be so picky about one or 2 champs.
  • Options
    Greed_ExodusGreed_Exodus Posts: 211 ★★
    I’m just thinking about the future, will a ascended r5 6* of even the most op champ be able to compete with a rank 6 7* champ, not to mention if 7*s ever get the power to be ascended years from now, the stat difference will be a joke.
  • Options
    IKONIKON Posts: 1,339 ★★★★★
    Live in the world that is, not the world that ought to be.

The community isn't going to change.
  • Options
    BigBlueOxBigBlueOx Posts: 1,595 ★★★★★
    edited March 28
    Forumer said:

Is that the really point of creating a separate thread on this? Tbh… I think there’s a reasonable middle ground here that was discussed and joked about over there. This doesn’t have to be a false binary choice of nerf or don’t nerf. Champs like Quake, Magic, and Herc with broken loops could be reskinned as a Deathless or a variant version and the broken bits can be removed. The spirit of the kits remains the same and people who want to use those in higher rarities will get too and the players that want their nostalgia intact will get that too.

(Btw why is Doom included here? He’s fine as is just gonna wait with HT on when the contest can handle their 7star power level)
  • Options
    Kappa2gKappa2g Posts: 272 ★★★
    With how they've been designing defenders recently, I don't see why they shouldn't be giving players strong offensive options as well, be it overpowered champions as a higher rarity.
    Also Galan actually passed the rebalance process so I don't think why you included him.
  • Options
    Kappa2g said:

With how they've been designing defenders recently, I don't see why they shouldn't be giving players strong offensive options as well, be it overpowered champions as a higher rarity.
    Also Galan actually passed the rebalance process so I don't think why you included him.

Why do you think we have so many annoying defenders? Defenders have abilities built to counter attackers. Therefore, the OP attackers are the cause of OP defenders.
  • Options
    GreekhitGreekhit Posts: 2,819 ★★★★★

Kabam doesn’t need to change. This absolutely childish community needs to change. Never before have I seen a competitive multiplayer game where the word nerf was treated like such a dirty word. Like something that should NEVER happen instead of, like it is in any game from League of Legends to Fortnite, a completely normal thing. It is irrational, its childish. Its stupid and without good reasoning.

I look forward to the day Kabam finally just says “Screw it” and takes a nerf bat to Herc, alongside reworks for Quake and Magick. You dont fix a problem by ignoring it and sweeping it under the rug. You FIX it. The children who cry over it can get stuffed.

You are very wrong here, things in gaming industry that includes in game purchases don’t work like this.
    I don’t know about League of Legends, but since you mentioned Fortnite, that is currently maybe the top and most profitable game in online gaming, players don’t buy weapons or any other competitive advantages.
    Yes in Fortnite in game weapons/abilities are constantly getting rebalanced (changed to stronger or getting nerfed), but Epic games doesn’t sell this weapons/abilities, so they aren’t financial harming players when they do so.
    They sell skins and cosmetic items, and EVERY SINGLE TIME they have ever changed anything they sold, they gave the option for refund to any player that had purchased these items.
    And here is the difference with MCOC and the big question:
    Kabam sells champions that players buy with money, are they willing to provide refunds to any player that purchased the champ is going to change/get nerfed ?
    For example, I bought 6* Hercules for exactly 100€, is Kabam willing to refund these money if they nerf him?
    The answer is NO.
    And this is the exact reason they now have the rebalance program.
    Because now buying a champ comes with a warning and a high possibility that he is going to get rebalanced and possibly get nerfed, after your purchase without any compensation or option for refund.
    They can’t do that for older champs, that people have purchased.
    Or to set it more correctly they can, but they will have to suffer the economical damage that will come with that.
    Whether by giving out refunds, which is very unlikely, very difficult and practically impossible to implement after all this time.
    Or they will ruin their reputation that will destroy players trust in the company, leading to a huge downfall of purchases and game’s revenue.
    Yes Kabam would like to nerf Hercules, but they also realise that this will ultimately do more damage to the company than the any gain it would offer.
    They played with that idea, they “tested the waters” with Mike’s posts about nerfing Hercules, and they saw that the community uproar would be at least on par with v12.0 uproar, when the game was nearly led to destruction and literally saved by the bell.
    As it seems they will go the way of limiting Hercules efficiency in “big” content like they did in Necropolis, and banning him from next rarities like they did with Quake.
    And ultimately from a business perspective that’s the best route to go, and since we are talking about business, that’s the most profitable way to deal with the issue.
    They aren’t dumb, nor they are going to risk their business over nerfing a champ.
    Things in an online game can go south really fast, and Kabam always have that mind after v12.0.
    A very bad steering of the wheel and you are soon out of business ☠️
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,299 ★★★★★

Buttehrs said:

I remember when people were absolutely certain we'd never see ghost as a 6* and she was added like it was no problem. All.of those champs you mentioned are perfectly fine. Except herc. He's just broken.

You forget Wolvie and OGSW. They indeed broke the game.
    Yes and no. Thor, SW, Wolverine, BW, etc...those Champs were intrinsically broken because of their Abilities, but it was also in combination of the old percentage-based system. It was a mathematical certainty that whatever was produced was easily destroyed by them.
    That's why the Champs as well as the entire system were changed.
  • Options
    GreekhitGreekhit Posts: 2,819 ★★★★★
    Edit:
    If Kabam wants to rebalance Hercules or Quake, be our guest and introduce the rebalanced 7* Hercules and the rebalanced 6*/7* Quake.
    Win/Win solution for all 🙂
  • Options
    doctorbdoctorb Posts: 1,740 ★★★
    gohard123 said:

Personally, I'd rather let Kabam make these champions obsolete than actively tuning down these champions mainly due to the high cost of champion acquisition. You cant let RNG be this widespread and then after I finally get an OP champion you decide to nerf it. Even with the ongoing re-balancing program, people have a chance to use an OP champion for months (by paying or grinding arena) before it is rebalanced for the wider community. Until this new runestone (champion acquisition method) is more common place, I will rather these OP champions be left in the past.

I agree 1000%.
    As sad as it would be, I would rather Quake go obsolete as 5* than have her nerfed.
    Ppl say she's broken but no one is using her for end game content like Necropolis.
    They say she's not meant for end game content but would dominate BG, AW, and AQ.
    Yet how many ppl you see actually use her 5* version for these contents.
    Personally, I think a lot of ppl r just jumping on the band wagon of saying she's broken.
    Once upon a time maybe. But not any more.
  • Options
    MadGodOryxMadGodOryx Posts: 59
    gohard123 said:

This game is overwhelmingly a PVE game. Even in the PVP modes you only face an AI. League of legend champions are free to acquire, the monetisation between this game and the ones you mentioned are vastly different.
    3 of the most major modes in this game are directly competing against other players. AW you directly compete against other players. BGs has you competing against other players. Even AQ has you competing against other players!

Monetisation doesnt mean ****. And youre only kidding yourself otherwise. Folks in LOL drop hundreds of dollars in skins for champs who can very well get nerfed out of relevance if they are too powerful. And plenty of people have FTP accounts in this game that are perfectly powerful themselves.

So, suck it up buttercup. Its a competitive multiplayer game. That means nerfs have to happen sometimes. Hopefully you’ll survive the harrowing experience.
  • Options
    doctorb said:

gohard123 said:

I agree 1000%.
    As sad as it would be, I would rather Quake go obsolete as 5* than have her nerfed.
    Ppl say she's broken but no one is using her for end game content like Necropolis.
    They say she's not meant for end game content but would dominate BG, AW, and AQ.
    Yet how many ppl you see actually use her 5* version for these contents.
    Personally, I think a lot of ppl r just jumping on the band wagon of saying she's broken.
    Once upon a time maybe. But not any more.
    So let me get this straight: You could play Quake tomorrow, at 6 and 7 star rarity, still incredibly powerful, even doing MORE DAMAGE, and still taking on many of the same MUs shes renowned for.

But because she has to eat a small nerf you would rather never play her again.

Is this a joke? Are you joking? In what world does this make sense? You have an irrational fear of something that’s incredibly simple and normal across hundreds of multiplayer games. Get over it.
  • Options
    Greekhit said:

Edit:
    If Kabam wants to rebalance Hercules or Quake, be our guest and introduce the rebalanced 7* Hercules and the rebalanced 6*/7* Quake.
    Win/Win solution for all 🙂

Is this like, an invitation or something? Cause they already showed off their ideas for Quake. And they are pretty damn good.

As for Herc, I say increase boon of the gods timeframe, and make him unable to gain more charges while Boon of the Gods is active. Then just put a cap at how long his immortality can run. His ramped up damage is untouched, just slowed down how quickly he can get there in shorter fights slightly. And with his immortality capped at X seconds the “Just Herc it” aspect gets reduced while still being around for players.
  • Options
    startropicsstartropics Posts: 616 ★★★★
    *irrational post warning*

let's get the obvious stuff out of the way. this is their game they can do whatever they want they can give herc a borat mankini then shut it all down the next day. i'm also ok with a rebalance to magik and quake so they can come out in higher rarities since it's been such a long time that they've been usable.

that said, i don't like the precedent that this sets, which gives them more ammo to perhaps make hercules-esque champs that they rebalance later. i know another herc is the last they want, but game-health didn't seem like much of an issue when they were relatively giving him away in july '22.

• Options
    BuffBeastBuffBeast Posts: 1,075 ★★★★
    The way I see it, Hercules is just a necessary evil in the game at this point. There’s a reason everyone uses him for the toughest content in the game, and it’s not just because he has the damage, the immortal buff, etc. It’s because he’s consistently the ONLY champion that can measure up and also cost you the least revives. He’s good for damn near everything, and that’s what separates him from the pack. And therein lies the real problem. He’s the **only** champ who can do it all and can actually pull through with the dumbest node combos. There’s a reason that after a certain point the game is a Herc fest, and that’s because he’s the only one who can tackle everything instead of bringing in 5 specific counters without planning a path for like 7 minutes. I’m not saying we need more Hercules style champions in the game, but maybe the way high end content is designed has hit a wall where they can’t find a way to design past Hercules being the go-to, which brings us back to square one, simply because Hercules is the only champion in the game who can perform in high level content to the point he trumps every other option so severely that he creates a sort of paradox where difficulty has to be raised to lower his ceiling but also drastically reducing every other champions ceiling in speed, damage, reliability, etc. I can’t really explain my point that well, but I hope the idea comes across
  • Options
    NüΚΞNüΚΞ Posts: 125 ★★
    Quake, Magik, Herc 💀
  • Options
    NüΚΞNüΚΞ Posts: 125 ★★
    With over 250 champs and 2 being added every month we’re still talking about quake and Magik. 😂😂😂😂
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,812 Guardian
    Forumer said:

The current dissatisfaction among players regarding the lack of a 6* rarity for Quake and Magik is just the tip of the iceberg. This issue serves as a warning sign for what's to come, as many current powerful 6* champions, including Hercules, Ghost, Doctor Doom, Galan, and Kitty Pryde, may never see upgrades to 7* rarity.

Kabam’s approach to balancing older champions, through rarity obsolescence, is flawed and detrimental to champion longevity. It risks turning fan favorites into irrelevant relics of the past, overshadowed by newer rarities and unable to remain competitive in the evolving meta or even enjoyable in late-game content.

To address this issue effectively, Kabam must overcome its fear of backlash and rebalance these champions. While tuning down their abilities may cause short-term dissatisfaction, it ensures that every champion will remain relevant and useable for years to come.

Your solution to address player dissatisfaction is to dissatisfy a different group of players instead.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,812 Guardian
    gohard123 said:

Saying this is primarily a PvE game doesn't exactly operate in your favor. It should be the PvP focused games that contain the players that are most sensitive to nerfs. If MCOC's playerbase's sensitivity to nerfs is huge even for a PvP game, it is astronomically inexplicable for a PvE game.

And yes, champion acquisition is monetized. But the vast majority of players do not spend. What's their excuse? And last I checked you could buy champions in League of Legends with Riot points. Champion unlock is monetized in LoL, just as champion acquisition is monetized in MCOC.
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

Forumer said:

The current dissatisfaction among players regarding the lack of a 6* rarity for Quake and Magik is just the tip of the iceberg. This issue serves as a warning sign for what's to come, as many current powerful 6* champions, including Hercules, Ghost, Doctor Doom, Galan, and Kitty Pryde, may never see upgrades to 7* rarity.

Kabam’s approach to balancing older champions, through rarity obsolescence, is flawed and detrimental to champion longevity. It risks turning fan favorites into irrelevant relics of the past, overshadowed by newer rarities and unable to remain competitive in the evolving meta or even enjoyable in late-game content.

To address this issue effectively, Kabam must overcome its fear of backlash and rebalance these champions. While tuning down their abilities may cause short-term dissatisfaction, it ensures that every champion will remain relevant and useable for years to come.

Your solution to address player dissatisfaction is to dissatisfy a different group of players instead.
    Every “solution” to a controversial issue dissatisfies a group of people.
  • Options
    Emilia90Emilia90 Posts: 2,022 ★★★★★
    We have the likes of Onslaught and Photon as 7* so I think we’ll see the stronger 6* come out eventually. Don’t know why people act like some of these champs would be too broken to add ever (some are just too good for now).

Herc might never get added and possibility Kitty? But other than that, I could see most of the 6* making their way as 7* when the roster is developed enough
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

gohard123 said:

Saying this is primarily a PvE game doesn't exactly operate in your favor. It should be the PvP focused games that contain the players that are most sensitive to nerfs. If MCOC's playerbase's sensitivity to nerfs is huge even for a PvP game, it is astronomically inexplicable for a PvE game.

And yes, champion acquisition is monetized. But the vast majority of players do not spend. What's their excuse? And last I checked you could buy champions in League of Legends with Riot points. Champion unlock is monetized in LoL, just as champion acquisition is monetized in MCOC.
    I never put forth any argument about which type of playerbase should be sensitive to nerfs. He was comparing a game that is PvE to a PvP game. If he chose a game like Elden ring or bloodborne which are predominantly single player with multiplayer aspects then I would have agreed to his point.
  • Options
    gohard123 said:

DNA3000 said:

gohard123 said:

I never put forth any argument about which type of playerbase should be sensitive to nerfs. He was comparing a game that is PvE to a PvP game. If he chose a game like Elden ring or bloodborne which are predominantly single player with multiplayer aspects then I would have agreed to his point.
    Well, in the spirit of this point, even if I agreed this was a primarily PVE game, many many PVE games get balance changes. From World of Warcraft raids, to Diablo, to Borderlands!

Buffs and nerfs are natural balancing leavers to any modern game. They are not something to be feared like the ghost of Christmas Future!
  • Options
    FunnyDudeFunnyDude Posts: 473 ★★★★
    Pepe took down a 7r2 onslaught boss a couple of months ago, T1 war.
    So yes, Magik and quake are broken, and I hate quake even I’m a good quake player, it’s just boring.
  • Options
    ShoNuff29ShoNuff29 Posts: 418 ★★★
    I hate that Quake and Magik are tied together in these convos because they really shouldn’t be. I do understand the quake issue. A maxed 6* of her would be crazy powerful and possibly “game breaking” in some scenarios.

I don’t see that for Magik at all. She’s gonna have some great match ups, but others where it doesn’t work. I see her scenario right along the lines of OG SW. Kabam held her release up so long that **** was irrelevant. Needs QS to synergy to have solid use. FAM has more utility than Magik and look at how he can control power. Voodoo’s power control is right up there with Magik and he’s a 6* that’s barely used. Even SM2099. Now WT can cycle power steal and unblockable specials. There’s plenty of ways of dealing with power that could choose over Magik in some scenarios. She’s a great champ and a fun character in general, so hope they come to their senses on her soon. She’s not Quake lol.
  • Options
    ShoNuff29ShoNuff29 Posts: 418 ★★★
    Random Herc thought: I’ll bet his existence has probably kept A LOT of players from quitting the game. There’s been some content that might cost kabam a couple percent of the player base, but Herc kept them playing the game because he was able to muscle through.