**WE ARE NO LONGER Temporarily Reverting Tier 1 War Ban System**

After further discussion, the game team has made the decision not make adjustements to the ban system.
The previously proposed fix would have resolved the issue for Summoners who are on the cusp of T1/T2 play, and negatively impacted Alliances more securely in T1. Instead, we recommend that cusp Alliances switch to Manual Placement to your members to place the allotted 5 Ban Champions limit there.

Apologies for the back and forth, and for any confusion.
Options

insulting and motivating are 2 separate things

MeshariMeshari Posts: 15
edited May 22 in General Discussion

I understand the meaning behind this article but there are other ways to inspire players than mocking, insulting and belittling them. Yes there are many players complaining about battlegrounds matchmaking including myself, not because we love annoying the game team or because we don’t have anything better to do.. its simply because the matchmaking is genuinely unfair.

Luring players to read your article just so you can get back on them half way there for all the forum complaints is really unprofessional.

The guy who wrote this article is the same guy who deleted my post here and gave me a warning for replying to someone telling me I will never reach GC- which I did.
Are there better players than me? Yes.
Are there bigger decks than mine? Absolutely.
Am I the only one unsatisfied with the matchup system? No.

This leads us to conclude there is nothing wrong with us wanting to enjoy a fair game which we are invested in.

Perhaps its better to just solve the problem than insulting the players and telling them to tolerate it.
Post edited by Kabam Jax on

Comments

• Options
    PandingoPandingo Posts: 836 ★★★
    Why so serious? When deadpool insults us someone wrote it but I don't get upset. It's satire. The point of games is progress friend. Not everybody is meant to get to GC. And it's not meant to be easy. Or else...it wouldn't be worth doing. It wouldn't be a fighting game it'd be an idle game. And those get boring quick. Hey here's max rewards just for logging in. Snore.
  • Options
    PT_99PT_99 Posts: 2,951 ★★★★★
    "stop comparing yourself to others."

It wasn't personal threat, it was sent to #1 player in BG as well.
    There is nothing wrong with matchmaking of BG, sure Kabam can go to +2 tokens for win and -1 for lose till Vibranium or make GC a place to be right away from the day-1 to funnel out whales asap.

But at the end of day, BG depends on deck size, skills and matchup knowledge.
    Deck can be improved by act-8, Necro 100%, saving units for July-4th, skills by trying hard and knowledge by YouTube content.

If this sounds like too much of a thing to do (it is for me) then it's OK to lose.

A low deck player shouldn't expect to NOT face a high deck player, there are equal rewards handed out in rankups, perhaps ask Kabam to nerf rankup rewards in BG if you want to face easy competition.
  • Options
    DeaconDeacon Posts: 4,144 ★★★★★
    I don't care about the matchmaking. An even playing field is my concern and hope ... and by that I mean fix the input control issues, the random dash issues, the ghost whiff issues, the random swipe left actually means perform a five hit combo issues .. like i've said it's less a competitive mode and more so a luck of the AI mode.

i'm fine with facing the whales. just make the fight fair.
  • Options
    Missing the point again Jax, I do not want it to be easier I want it to be fair.

Lets say I have 5 rank 5 champions and 2 7* rank 3 champions.

The logical thing to happen is match me an equal deck with similar ranks potential.

Thats the point I’m trying to deliver.
  • Options
    DRTODRTO Posts: 1,628 ★★★★★
    Meshari said:

Missing the point again Jax, I do not want it to be easier I want it to be fair.

The logical thing to happen is match me an equal deck with similar ranks potential.

Again, you are missing the point of this being a "COMPETITIVE" game mode. At a certain point the mode will be very hard because there are people with better accounts than you, and that's just how it's gonna be. Asking for "fairness" in a mode where all accounts of all sizes can play in is just not gonna happen.
  • Options
    SummonerNRSummonerNR Posts: 11,134 Guardian
    edited May 21
    Meshari said:

If you “never, ever, ever” (wait, is that a Taylor Swift song ?) have to face much higher teams than yourself.
    That you should be able to walk into G.C. and even climb high within there too, just because you only ever face similar lower rosters like yourself?

Were you around some years ago when in AW, there was a lower roster team that made it up to overall Rank #1 (or #2 ??) for a season or 2. They never had to face any stronger team in AW the entire season. It was only lesser teams like them (they may have beaten all of them, but those other teams were of similar lesser qualify).

They revamped the AW Matching after that so that you faced alliances with similar War Rating to yourself, without regard to how strong the teams are.

So that if you wanted to be #1, you had to potentially face and beat the other top teams.
  • Options
    MrSakuragiMrSakuragi Posts: 4,407 ★★★★★
    Meshari said:

The point you’re trying to deliver is not how competitive modes such as this one should work.
  • Options
    JT_SupremeJT_Supreme Posts: 981 ★★★★
    Womp womp
  • Options
    Wicket329Wicket329 Posts: 3,166 ★★★★★
    Meshari said:

Your point has been read loud and clear, it is just a bad idea.

If you want to climb up the rewards ladder, you need to be able to get past the people above you on that ladder. At some point you’ve climbed as high as you can. Then, it is up to you to invest the time, resources, effort, money, or whatever combination of those materials you are willing to put in to try to push through to the next rung on that ladder.

But if you aren’t willing to do that, then your ceiling will stay right where it is. And that’s okay.
  • Options
    ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Posts: 3,785 ★★★★★
    edited May 21
    Meshari said:

"when it's a choice between appeasing a vocal minority and staying true to the intention behind the game design... we believe our game team is making the right choice in preserving the competitive nature of the mode"... You can't read?
    Also by asking for easier opponents you are asking for it to be easier in general lmao.
  • Options

Meshari said:

That is not logical at all, and is definitely not the way any competitive game mode in any game should ever run. You are competing against every Summoner in the game to rank as high as you can, you are going to play against people that have spent a lot more time and effort building their Decks and Rosters. You should absolutely NOT only be facing people at your same level.

It would not be fair for somebody that's Uncollected to get to the top of the Victory Track only facing other Uncollected Summoners, getting all of the same Rewards that somebody that's Valiant does, while they have spent the time to hone their skills, RPG knowledge and build their Deck and Roster.

While the piece was Satire, there were grains of truth in there, and this was a big part of it.
    Yes, totally understandable point, Thats exactly where Tier Breakers play their parts.

After every set of wins streak from equal decks matchups, I should be facing a matchup or two who are potentially from the next tier to prove that I am worthy of reaching that said tier, this way if I win this tier breaker then I can fairly progress, and if I lose this match up the player who won can progress to his deserving tier. Just because a player is Valiant does not mean he’s worthy of being Celestial and I can surely flood the forum with tons of win screenshots from back when I was Cavalier to back up this point for me.

When tier breakers are implemented you can solve “Parking” problem from bigger decks players and motivate low tier(who are potentially the next big decks players) to progress.

• Options
    captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Posts: 5,186 ★★★★★
    Having a sense of humor is rare nowadays
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,958 Guardian
    Meshari said:

Meshari said:

That is not logical at all, and is definitely not the way any competitive game mode in any game should ever run. You are competing against every Summoner in the game to rank as high as you can, you are going to play against people that have spent a lot more time and effort building their Decks and Rosters. You should absolutely NOT only be facing people at your same level.

It would not be fair for somebody that's Uncollected to get to the top of the Victory Track only facing other Uncollected Summoners, getting all of the same Rewards that somebody that's Valiant does, while they have spent the time to hone their skills, RPG knowledge and build their Deck and Roster.

While the piece was Satire, there were grains of truth in there, and this was a big part of it.
    Yes, totally understandable point, Thats exactly where Tier Breakers play their parts.

After every set of wins streak from equal decks matchups, I should be facing a matchup or two who are potentially from the next tier to prove that I am worthy of reaching that said tier, this way if I win this tier breaker then I can fairly progress, and if I lose this match up the player who won can progress to his deserving tier. Just because a player is Valiant does not mean he’s worthy of being Celestial and I can surely flood the forum with tons of win screenshots from back when I was Cavalier to back up this point for me.

When tier breakers are implemented you can solve “Parking” problem from bigger decks players and motivate low tier(who are potentially the next big decks players) to progress.

That does not work in practice, because this ignores the fact that Victory track tiers are moving targets. The players in the tier above you are not all of the exact same strength, so there's no such thing as just picking some "tier breakers" for you to challenge yourself against. The only way for this to work would be if Victory track tiers were more uniform, and the only way for that to happen would be for seasons to not reset, so VT would be able to sort the players over time and then maintain that sorting.

But that breaks something else: ratcheting. The Victory track is designed to prevent players who get into losing streaks from backsliding too far. You can only fall down to the bottom of your current tier (by losing all your trophies). That's not true in GC, where you can theoretically fall from #1 all the way to the bottom. If we don't reset seasons periodically, eventually everyone would be in GC. if you can only go up and cannot ever go down, eventually everyone will promote to GC either by luck, or because eventually everyone stronger than then would have promoted themselves.

Matching against whomever is in the tier above you, when the tiers are themselves dynamic and changing during the season, is a form of stochastic averaging. By matching against whomever else is looking for match at the same time, you are statistically speaking going to match against the average player in that tier at that time, because the odds of matching against any one of them are equal and random. This causes matching across the entire competition to emulate the intended behavior, which is for a player to only promote out of one tier when they demonstrate they can consistently beat the players within that tier. Given the dynamics of the Victory track, this is a reasonable way to expose players to the proper level of competition relative to their progress through the Victory track.
  • Options
    BringPopcornBringPopcorn Posts: 3,259 ★★★★★
    The only reason why you would get triggered by that "news" is being bad and not like being told so...
  • Options
    SkyfawSkyfaw Posts: 189 ★★
    Meshari said:

I don’t necessarily mind this idea. Separating players based on roster strength. Tho there a way for people to exploit this, like when sandbagging was a thing.

However this also means that rewards should also be changed into tiers as well. This would also desensitize people from sand bagging since they would miss out on the best rewards. No reason a player should get the same rewards when having the easier path.
  • Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,364 ★★★★★
    Meshari said:

Meshari said:

You keep inventing things and totally ignoring everything everyone has told you. Matchmaking isn't going change. It's certainly not going to do what you just said. You complain about "fairness" and then suggest "tier breakers" which does the very thing you're already complaining about.
  • Options
    Sundance_2099Sundance_2099 Posts: 2,929 ★★★★★

Meshari said:

If you “never, ever, ever” (wait, is that a Taylor Swift song ?)
    All Saints. 1999 I think...

*googles*

1997. Shid, I'm old...
  • Options
    peixemacacopeixemacaco Posts: 1,543 ★★★
    Kabam Jax said:

We've already done this dance here. This is satire, it's not meant to be serious.

A slight better text titles would be...

"You dont have a good deck yet at BG and it's ok..."
    "Your champions need an upgrade for BG and it's ok..."

And you wont face these posts here 👍

Because, some people don't see the funny way to tell the truth you wanted, they only see Crossbones coming with a Kick on Stomach.

• Options
    OldManHopOldManHop Posts: 198 ★★
    edited May 22
    I don't play BG's, I have no horse in this race, but my suggestion to community management is to avoid making sweeping generalizations that leave room for misinterpretation.

G4TV comes to mind.

It doesn't take that much effort to be professional.
  • Options
    ahmynutsahmynuts Posts: 6,473 ★★★★★

Kabam Jax said:

We've already done this dance here. This is satire, it's not meant to be serious.

A slight better text titles would be...

"You dont have a good deck yet at BG and it's ok..."
    "Your champions need an upgrade for BG and it's ok..."

And you wont face these posts here 👍

Because, some people don't see the funny way to tell the truth you wanted, they only see Crossbones coming with a Kick on Stomach.

You should not be the one to talk on what would be better for a post or not my guy
  • Options
    TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,977 ★★★★★
    edited May 22
    Kabam Jax said:

We're not going to get into it again, so we'll just use the boiler plate response:
    This is a competitive game mode where you need to beat others to progress. We understand that you might want it to be easier for you to progress, but when it's a choice between appeasing a vocal minority and staying true to the intention behind the game design... we believe our game team is making the right choice in preserving the competitive nature of the mode.

You didn't have your post deleted for "replying to someone telling you you'd never reach GC" you had your message deleted for name-calling and breaking forum rules.

I’m not saying the article was a bad idea. I’m just saying you’re good enough on camera that this should’ve been filmed as a Captain America-style PSA.

And as an aside, I think it would be instructive to compare BGs to war to see why these matchmaking complaints persist.

We’ve been used to war for years. Many years ago (I don’t remember when) there was an adjustment where prestige was removed from matchmaking. I was in a sputtering gold alliance that did much better in AQ than war. All of a sudden, we had one season where we feasted on maps largely full of 4-stars until ratings re-normalized.

BG feels different for a few reasons. It’s one in one instead of 30 on 30. There are fewer fights with higher, clearer stakes. And the most important reason - there is almost no carryover from season to season. Advance VT placement was a bandaid (a positive addition - don’t get me wrong) but maybe there’s a point where everyone doesn’t need to compete for the same rewards.

The new roster-based progression titles give Kabam a way to segregate lower rosters, put in a different reward structure, and create a competitive “small pond” for little fish (or growing fish :) )
This discussion has been closed.