Overrated/Underrated: Daredevil (Hell’s Kitchen)

EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 6,438 ★★★★★
edited July 29 in General Discussion

Episode 12: Daredevil HK, also known as Netflix Daredevil has some interesting abilities in his kit. He has access to purify, physical resist, bleed, precision, cruelty, fury buffs, ability accuracy reduction, miss countering, and most of his abilities are based on his combo meter.

So do we think he’s overrated, underrated or perfectly rated?

Overrated/Underrated: Daredevil (Hell’s Kitchen) 48 votes

Overrated
8%
SuperDuperBuuuBigBlueOxorpimeSKingering_King 4 votes
Underrated
27%
MegaSkater67TerraThatGuyYouSaw235NeoDazarasSpadeHunterEwell65SSS69dee_jay5Wasy1Ansh_ARoddyRodster77EdisonLawGrub88WillyW 13 votes
Perfectly rated
64%
buffajrVegeta9001pseudosaneMigginslySavageBreaker69SCP1504Light_StormNichj99peixemacacocaptain_rogersItsClobberinTimeMatty_IceAge_of_Luca2000Giantwalrus56Ben_15455mustgofasterSceptilemaniac2AgenteMagnusThanos101010Ultragamer 31 votes

Comments

• Vegeta9001Vegeta9001 Member Posts: 1,703 ★★★★★
    Perfectly rated
    I wouldn't say he is underrated, he is a somewhat decent champion that simply isn't close to even being in the top 25% of champs, maybe not even top 50%. Mines r5 ascended because I like him as a character and I use him Mysterio and peni as a 3 set quite often, but he isn't anything special.
  • MasquiradeMasquirade Member Posts: 135
    I'd suggest characters like this are often under explored more than underrated. Holding my hands up, I couldn't put him above or below anyone. Before your description, I didn't know what's in this guy's kit beyond the fact you can't make a parry stick to him and I always counter his Sp1 one hit too early 😂 I'll scour YouTube to see if one of our many creators can shed some light I guess?
  • EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 6,438 ★★★★★
    Underrated

I'd suggest characters like this are often under explored more than underrated. Holding my hands up, I couldn't put him above or below anyone. Before your description, I didn't know what's in this guy's kit beyond the fact you can't make a parry stick to him and I always counter his Sp1 one hit too early 😂 I'll scour YouTube to see if one of our many creators can shed some light I guess?

Well that’s a better way to describe it
  • pseudosanepseudosane Member, Guardian Posts: 3,954 Guardian
    Perfectly rated
    unfortunately the hoops one has to go to access decent numbers from him make him undesirable. It is a shame, Matt murdock is a very loved character in general (thank you Netflix)
    edited July 29
    Underrated

unfortunately the hoops one has to go to access decent numbers from him make him undesirable. It is a shame, Matt murdock is a very loved character in general (thank you Netflix)

Hopefully he gets a tune up around the same time as Daredevil Born again releases

But I would rather want a Daredevil Classic buff more than netflix
  • Wicket329Wicket329 Member Posts: 3,338 ★★★★★
    Run him with Peni Parker and you’ll get some solid damage out of him. That synergy should be in his base kit.
    edited July 30
    Underrated
    Wicket329 said:

Run him with Peni Parker and you’ll get some solid damage out of him. That synergy should be in his base kit.

Also I think the Righteous wrath passive should have a higher chance to inflict that bleed (at least 50-100%), especially the SP3
  • BigBlueOxBigBlueOx Member Posts: 2,105 ★★★★★
    Overrated
    He was unfortunately was so overhyped that when it turned out he was middling beyond mid, they just doubled down on the poor buff and claimed not everyone can be Mags
  • MegaSkater67MegaSkater67 Member Posts: 1,379 ★★★★
    Underrated
    My favourite champ in the entire game. Was one of my first 6* R5s when they first released and my first ascension too. I use him for absolutely everything, BGs (which he’s excellent for), war (tier 1), story, challenges etc. He just works, his kit is loaded with utility that always comes in handy, his damage is really solid as well and can actually be really high in certain matchups. To name a few tricky defenders that he shuts down:
    - Photon
    - Attuma
    - Korg
    - Killmonger
    - Prowler
    - Maw
    - Quicksilver
    - Knull
    - Spider-Man supreme
    - Spot
    - Thing

You get the idea. I wrote a guide for him shortly after he was buffed a few years ago. He’s easily my favourite buff to this day, I absolutely love that champion.

Underrated

My favourite champ in the entire game. Was one of my first 6* R5s when they first released and my first ascension too. I use him for absolutely everything, BGs (which he’s excellent for), war (tier 1), story, challenges etc. He just works, his kit is loaded with utility that always comes in handy, his damage is really solid as well and can actually be really high in certain matchups. To name a few tricky defenders that he shuts down:
    - Photon
    - Attuma
    - Korg
    - Killmonger
    - Prowler
    - Maw
    - Quicksilver
    - Knull
    - Spider-Man supreme
    - Spot
    - Thing

You get the idea. I wrote a guide for him shortly after he was buffed a few years ago. He’s easily my favourite buff to this day, I absolutely love that champion.

I’m wondering how he works against Maw since he can nullify DD’s buffs
  • ChobblyChobbly Member Posts: 938 ★★★★
    edited July 30
    I could probably write a dissertation on this champion, the number of posts I've made over the years. So I'll try to be brief.

He is a solid Miss counter, but I'm not sure how much that matters these days. There are a number of other (better) options.

General damage output is average at best and requires lengthy rotations for what ends up being a short term burst of optimal damage (at 2 or 3 Fury buffs). The SP2 bursts are nice but that's about it. He's pretty slow in Battlegrounds compared to many other champions.

The biggest issue though is his Base Regen Rate. The penalty is just way too harsh. It was the first time that particular mechanic was used (as Kabam themselves said, late in development). Other implementations of this don't have the same issue (Kingpin's Regen Rate is higher and his Rage Debuffs are largely permanent, while Attuma can boost his with Hydration and he can be largely Bleed Immune).

DDHK is quite rightly regarded as being unusable with Suicide Masteries and health just drains away when hit with damaging Debuffs. All of the above could be accepted if the Base Regen Rate was increased to something a little less draconian.

Here's what I think he needs, as a minimum. It is balanced because it requires investment in the character (by being added to the Sig) and limiting the change to Attacker only means that nothing needs to change anywhere in the game where he is used as a Defender:

If Daredevil is the Attacker, at the start of the fight increase Base Regeneration Rate by X (10% to 40%) depending on Signature Ability level.

He's a fan favourite though and I've got my 6* maxed and Ascended too.
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Member Posts: 5,882 ★★★★★
    Chobbly said:

I could probably write a dissertation on this champion, the number of posts I've made over the years. So I'll try to be brief.

He is a solid Miss counter, but I'm not sure how much that matters these days. There are a number of other (better) options.

General damage output is average at best and requires lengthy rotations for what ends up being a short term burst of optimal damage (at 2 or 3 Fury buffs). The SP2 bursts are nice but that's about it. He's pretty slow in Battlegrounds compared to many other champions.

The biggest issue though is his Base Regen Rate. The penalty is just way too harsh. It was the first time that particular mechanic was used (as Kabam themselves said, late in development). Other implementations of this don't have the same issue (Kingpin's Regen Rate is higher and his Rage Debuffs are largely permanent, while Attuma can boost his with Hydration and he can be largely Bleed Immune).

DDHK is quite rightly regarded as being unusable with Suicide Masteries and health just drains away when hit with damaging Debuffs. All of the above could be accepted if the Base Regen Rate was increased to something a little less draconian.

Here's what I think he needs, as a minimum. It is balanced because it requires investment in the character (by being added to the Sig) and limiting the change to Attacker only means that nothing needs to change anywhere in the game where he is used as a Defender:

If Daredevil is the Attacker, at the start of the fight increase Base Regeneration Rate by X (10% to 40%) depending on Signature Ability level.

He's a fan favourite though and I've got my 6* maxed and Ascended too.

I agree that the regen rate is the problem. And I quite like your solution.

Another option would be to put him at a full 100% rate, and remove his immunity to having it altered. Then give his Rage debuff - which currently has no effects - the effect of reducing Regen rate by 30% (max reduction 60%).

If you're playing him, you can manipulate your combo to either gain or avoid Rage debuffs if you need to; so this would largely fix the regen issue; whilst giving him a substantially better ability to cope with damaging debuffs.