Options

Wrong Featured Crystal?

Comments

• Options
    Congrats to those getting two champs for the price of one... That being said...

Getting two champs for one is utter horseshit. This is a pretty easy fix and the company can't even get it right. Is the extra champ for their pain and suffering lmao? Taking their sentry and awarding a void would be a perfect solution. But noooo, let's not do the logical thing cuz this is the battlerealm. Red shards take a little while to build up. Just granting them is ridiculous and unnecessary. For a company that supposedly seeks balance in the game, meh whatever. But again, congrats to those that get both. I'm all for getting what you can when you can.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,700 Guardian
    Run477 wrote: »
    They will probably give Voids to people who want them who PULLED Sentry in the 10 minutes or so the mistake was actually in the game. Others will get to keep what they pulled, as that is what they would have got anyway

Cant believe that in the less than 10 minutes this was up, that many people pulled the crystal? I think quite a few on here believe it is for all crystals pulled yesterday, it wont be. It will only be the few in the first 10 minutes at mst

Just dont want people getting their hopes up that they will get another spin of the crystal if they pulled a poor champ, because they probably wont

It was more than 10 minutes. It was closer to 30 minutes.

From the timeline, it must have been much more than eleven minutes and definitely less than thirty-one minutes from the time the crystal went live to the time the problem was corrected on the servers. However, I'm not certain if the moment it was corrected on the servers translated into everyone seeing the correct crystal in their game or what happened if someone tried to buy the Void crystal (which contains Sentry) after it was swapped for the Sentry crystal (which contains Void) but before their game updated the displayed crystal.

If I had to guess, my guess is in that time frame it is possible hundreds of players could have been affected. I doubt the number is multiple thousands although since Void is not coming back as a single featured it is possible the demand for Void could have been a lot higher than normal for an in-demand champion. If this was one of those guess the jellybeans contests, I would probably guess two hundred fifty players.

In either case, I think the solution Kabam is announcing is the absolute best case scenario that anyone could have reasonably hoped for. Given the solution involves letting people keep the Sentry if they pulled hiim, I can see why they took their time deliberating this solution. I would bet this was one of those situations in which not everyone involved (at Kabam) agreed on what the best course of action was, and the people who favored this resolution either outvoted or overruled the ones that might have favored a less generous one. For people who sometimes ask why things take longer than they want them to, sometimes that's the reason: it takes time to reach a consensus on the best way forward, and determine with some data just how much impact the solution will have on how many players.
  • Options
    This is a heck of good solution, but not for everyone
    I've opened 4x crystals, but the wrong ones
    I already had my sentry awakened with an awakening gem after opening 7x crystals 2 weeks ago, so i didn't wanted him anyway
    I just wanted my 4 tries to pull a Void from his right crystals, and now i can't, for a mistake that was not coming from me
    The solution is good, but not for everyone, so i have to keep my groot, iron patriot and symbiote spiderman pulled without having a chance at void, for one of your mistakes
    Thanks Kabam

You did have four shots at Void. Had you pulled Sentry, which has exactly the same chance to drop as Void does, you would have gotten Void. Everyone else who opened the erroneous crystal also got the same chance, and some of them succeeded.
  • Options
    Mikif10 wrote: »
    @miike
    I opened 2 sentry crystals when it was supposed to be void
    How is it fair to the ones that didn’t pull sentry and got void based on your decision and keep sentry .
    So basically 2 featured champs for one crystal!
    I dudnt pull sentry but maybe I could have pulled him as a sub featured if void was there!
    How is fair to the people like myself that didn’t pull sentry ???

Although you make a point that the actual featured void crystal would have had sentry in it as a subfeature, thus slightly changing the odds to get any champ specifically other than void (simplified version, but 80% champ of pulling 1 of x basic or x sub-feature champs vs. 80% chance of pulling 1 of x basic or (x+1) sub-feature champs, the difference would be fairly insignificant. Also, Imagine if you pulled a desired sub-featured champ you needed instead of the wrong feature? I’m not sure there is a solution other than what they did here. Good job imo by kabam for addressing a frustrating issue and being generous.

Full disclosure, I pulled one of the wrong crystals before noticing the issue as well and did not gwt Sentry, so I am not getting a Void out of this either.

• Options
    HulksmasshhHulksmasshh Posts: 742 ★★★
    I wasn’t affected by this issue whatsoever, I did not open a sentry or void crystal. But what if someone had say 60k shards and they opened 2 of the wrong crystal and got sentry twice. Believing that this sentry was in the sub feature pool and not (as it was) the featured champ, they opened two more crystals and got random champions.

Had the correct crystal been put out, they would have got the featured champ, void, and then stopped after duping him, but because the got sentry they opened extra crystals and wasted shards.

I think I remember reading about someome in this or a similar situation.

I think the “compensation” for this is allowing the players to keep their Sentry. It’s not the most ideal situation and many players would probably rather have 15k shards back instead of Sentry but I think it’s a fair enough solution given the circumstances.
  • Options
    Run477Run477 Posts: 1,391 ★★★
    I wasn’t affected by this issue whatsoever, I did not open a sentry or void crystal. But what if someone had say 60k shards and they opened 2 of the wrong crystal and got sentry twice. Believing that this sentry was in the sub feature pool and not (as it was) the featured champ, they opened two more crystals and got random champions.

Had the correct crystal been put out, they would have got the featured champ, void, and then stopped after duping him, but because the got sentry they opened extra crystals and wasted shards.

I had opened a third crystal after pulling sentry with the second and duped him with the third. (My first try was groot). Then used 600 units trying to get void out of featured gmc.

However, I’m ecstatic with the solution kabam came up with
  • Options
    FactorQFactorQ Posts: 110
    @DNA3000 @chunkyb it's possible this solution was offered to address both your thoughts: if someone got Sentry while really going for Void, it's reasonably likely to assume they spent more shards to try and get Void. Thus giving Void on top of keeping Sentry is really just to make up for extra shards that they might have spent. Obviously not a perfect solution that fits for all, but one that isn't really too unfair to the crystal spinner and those who didn't go for it.

Plus isn't everyone complaining about how bad Sentry is? Not really giving players a huge competitive advantage in keeping him if that's the case
  • Options
    Mikif10Mikif10 Posts: 13
    @Robhopp20 @Kabam Miike
    It’s still not fair that some get 2 for one and others must live with the outcome
    All that opened the wrong crystal ( kabam fault ) are in “ the same boat “ and all should be compensated equally
  • Options
    Deadbyrd9Deadbyrd9 Posts: 3,469 ★★★★
    edited January 2018
    People should read any crystal description before opening and this problem would have never existed because no one would have opened the sentry crystal. In the email they sent out it even said sentry was the featured champ in the void crystal
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,266 ★★★★★

I think the “compensation” for this is allowing the players to keep their Sentry. It’s not the most ideal situation and many players would probably rather have 15k shards back instead of Sentry but I think it’s a fair enough solution given the circumstances.

I'd say more than fair. Considering they could have replaced said Sentry with a Void. In this instance, they receive 2 Champs.
  • Options
    MattManMattMan Posts: 434 ★★★★
    @Kabam Miike I pulled Sentry on the first crystal I formed, then tried two more time for Void when I would have stopped at the first. How can I get my 30k shards back for the two crystals I wouldn’t have formed otherwise?
  • Options
    Legendary_GattoLegendary_Gatto Posts: 83
    edited January 2018
    @Robhopp20 @Kabam Miike
    It’s still not fair that some get 2 for one and others must live with the outcome
    All that opened the wrong crystal ( kabam fault ) are in “ the same boat “ and all should be compensated equally

Totally agree on this, i didn't opened them one at time, but my way to open crystals is buy how many i want and open popping them

In other case i could stop after the first one, now i assume is my fault because i open crystals like this?
    LOL
  • Options
    Deadbyrd9 wrote: »
    People should read any crystal description before opening and this problem would have never existed because no one would have opened the sentry crystal. In the email they sent out it even said sentry was the featured champ in the void crystal

Fair enough. And believe me, I’m upset at myself as well for opening a “void” crystal that was really for sentry. That said, the email I received and immediately rushed to buy it after said it was a “sentry” crystal for void. Not the otherway around.
  • Options
    axelelf_1axelelf_1 Posts: 775 ★★★
    No one ever likes someone else's good fortune. This community is more than proof of that.
  • Options
    Mikif10Mikif10 Posts: 13
    @Kabam Miike @Legendary_Gatto
    For the once that didn’t pull sentry
    I’m not saying we should get rewarded with void
    But
    U made a mistake and you should take responsibility for it and be fair to all involved.
    and compensate at least with something like a basic 5* crystal or shards for your mistake

• Options
    @Kabam Miike considering that everyone that pulled Sentry out of the wrong Crystal are rewarded with a second featured Champ for the price of one I would suggest that everyone that didnt had the luck of pulling sentry should receive at least a regular 5* Hero Crystal, that would be fair
  • Options
    axelelf_1 wrote: »
    No one ever likes someone else's good fortune. This community is more than proof of that.

Indeed. I never expected to be handed a champ or get any compensation from the mixup. I was just curious if they intended to reverse pulls and replace with new crystals or not. It is what it is. I think Kabam actually went beyond what they probably had to and am happy for those that got those outcomes. Does make me wish I pulled a Sentry from it now though, which is something I never would have said before. Lol
  • Options
    @Kabam Miike @Legendary_Gatto
    For the once that didn’t pull sentry
    I’m not saying we should get rewarded with void
    But
    U made a mistake and you should take responsibility for it and be fair to all involved.
    and compensate at least with something like a basic 5* crystal or shards for your mistake

Or give us back just half the amount of shards, at least give us a concrete chance to pull the desired champ

With wrong GGC they refunded them back letting players keeping the rewards from the wrong ones; 60K 5 star shards are not so easy to farm
  • Options
    @Robhopp20 @Kabam Miike

Totally agree on this, i didn't opened them one at time, but my way to open crystals is buy how many i want and open popping them

In other case i could stop after the first one, now i assume is my fault because i open crystals like this?
    LOL

No matter how many you opened, if the RNG didn't give the Featured, it wouldn't have mattered.
  • Options
    Deadbyrd9Deadbyrd9 Posts: 3,469 ★★★★
    @Robhopp20 I did have that backwards on the email. Thanks for the correction
  • Options
    @Robhopp20 @Kabam Miike

LOL

No matter how many you opened, if the RNG didn't give the Featured, it wouldn't have mattered.

yeah, but i had to open a totally different crystal, you can try to convince me results could be the same, but at the same time they could not
  • Options
    Hmmmmmmm. My post disappeared. How interesting. Don't think it broke any rules. Simply pointed out the silliness of this "fix". Said something along the lines of...

It's nice kabam is fixing it's mistake. But it's ridiculous to award players an extra champ when you could just swap the champs out. It's an unnecessary bonus champ for a very small percentage of players. And if the crystal description laid out that it was sentry (I don't really remember that part), then it's the players' fault anyway. Regardless, two for one is a bad solution. I thought game balance was the overall idea in most kabam decisions.
  • Options
    @Robhopp20 @Kabam Miike

LOL

yeah, but i had to open a totally different crystal, you can try to convince me results could be the same, but at the same time they could not

If the RNG rolled the Featured, you would have gotten the Featured outcome. Whether it was the Sentry or Void. You would have kept opening them either way, and this wouldn't have affected you.
  • Options
    Robhopp20 wrote: »
    @miike
    How is it fair to the ones that didn’t pull sentry and got void based on your decision and keep sentry .
    I dudnt pull sentry but maybe I could have pulled him as a sub featured if void was there!

Although you make a point that the actual featured void crystal would have had sentry in it as a subfeature, thus slightly changing the odds to get any champ specifically other than void (simplified version, but 80% champ of pulling 1 of x basic or x sub-feature champs vs. 80% chance of pulling 1 of x basic or (x+1) sub-feature champs, the difference would be fairly insignificant.

Its even lower than you're portraying. The way the crystal works is that there is a fixed chance to pull basic, a fixed chance to pull subfeatured, and a fixed chance to pull featured. Those odds do not change regardless of the content of the crystal. So the odds of pulling a basic champion are the same for the Void and Sentry crystals. The odds of pulling featured or subfeatured are also the same for both crystals. The only difference is that the Sentry crystal (which contains Void, I feel the need to keep stating) has a subfeatured table that has one more champion in it: Sentry. So the odds of pulling a subfeatured champ is exactly the same, but *if* you had pulled subfeatured then the odds of pulling any one particular champion in the Void crystal is slightly higher than it is in the Sentry crystal, with the exception being Sentry himself (which has a small chance to appear in the Void crystal's subfeatured table and a zero chance to appear in the Sentry crystal).

So the only way in which opening the Void crystal would be different from opening the Sentry crystal, besides the obvious difference in who the featured actually was, is that *if* you pulled subfeatured in the erroneous Void crystal you had no shot at Sentry. So unless you *wanted* Sentry instead of the other subfeatured champions in that pool, you were unaffected. If you did want Sentry instead of the other subfeatured champions, then you lost out on probably a less than 1% chance of pulling him (first you had to pull subfeatured which has something between 1% and 5% chance of happening, and then you have to pull Sentry out of all the options in that pool).
  • Options
    @Robhopp20 @Kabam Miike

LOL

An unlimited number of factors determine what the RNG happens to roll at the exact moment you roll. No game operator can compensate you for all of those. Otherwise, every time the game goes down, the servers lag, or the Earth changes rotation by a few nanoseconds they would have to compensate everyone for every crystal opened. You cannot guarantee that things happened exactly as they would have, you can only determine if the odds were the same in the different situation.
  • Options
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    @miike

Although you make a point that the actual featured void crystal would have had sentry in it as a subfeature, thus slightly changing the odds to get any champ specifically other than void (simplified version, but 80% champ of pulling 1 of x basic or x sub-feature champs vs. 80% chance of pulling 1 of x basic or (x+1) sub-feature champs, the difference would be fairly insignificant.

Its even lower than you're portraying. The way the crystal works is that there is a fixed chance to pull basic, a fixed chance to pull subfeatured, and a fixed chance to pull featured. Those odds do not change regardless of the content of the crystal. So the odds of pulling a basic champion are the same for the Void and Sentry crystals. The odds of pulling featured or subfeatured are also the same for both crystals. The only difference is that the Sentry crystal (which contains Void, I feel the need to keep stating) has a subfeatured table that has one more champion in it: Sentry. So the odds of pulling a subfeatured champ is exactly the same, but *if* you had pulled subfeatured then the odds of pulling any one particular champion in the Void crystal is slightly higher than it is in the Sentry crystal, with the exception being Sentry himself (which has a small chance to appear in the Void crystal's subfeatured table and a zero chance to appear in the Sentry crystal).

So the only way in which opening the Void crystal would be different from opening the Sentry crystal, besides the obvious difference in who the featured actually was, is that *if* you pulled subfeatured in the erroneous Void crystal you had no shot at Sentry. So unless you *wanted* Sentry instead of the other subfeatured champions in that pool, you were unaffected. If you did want Sentry instead of the other subfeatured champions, then you lost out on probably a less than 1% chance of pulling him (first you had to pull subfeatured which has something between 1% and 5% chance of happening, and then you have to pull Sentry out of all the options in that pool).

That’s what i was trying to say in simplified terms, but guess it didn’t come across right. Thanks for cleaning that up for me @DNA3000

Ironically, I actually would have been fairly happy with Sentry as a sub for prestige purposes, but that’s my only gripe. And it’s a small one.
  • Options
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    @miike

That’s what i was trying to say in simplified terms, but guess it didn’t come across right. Thanks for cleaning that up for me @DNA3000

The specific thing I was keying off of was that your post seemed to imply the odds of getting any champ other than Void was slightly different in the Sentry crystal, but in fact the odds of getting any particular basic are the same: it is only the individual chance of pulling any particular subfeatured that change. And ignoring Sentry, the relative odds of pulling any particular subfeatured champion other than Sentry are still the same. If I misunderstood that, I'm sorry.

This discussion has been closed.