**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Are 4* 5/50s worth it anymore?

Comments

• xananabananaxananabanana Posts: 495
    I have left most of my 4* at 4/40 as T4CC are hard to come by.
  • Blax4everBlax4ever Posts: 683 ★★★
    @Spicyslicer i have 12 5/50s I can take more up like Medusa, Starky, Classic Spidey, BW, NC and a few more but I don’t think it’s worth wasting resources. I have 9 5* only one of them is good Elecktra the rest are Falcon, Groot types. Groot cost me 15k haven’t opened another feature since. I started playing in Aug 2016.
    @xananabanana I have nine 5* champs only one of them is above r1 I was putting my resources into my 4* champs. Now it seems smarter to wait for a good Pull out of 5* crystal than to invest in 4* champs. So my progress is stopped and my interest in the game is starting wane.
  • BahamutBahamut Posts: 2,307 ★★★★
    It depends on where you are in the game and what 4*s and 5*s you have
    @Jimmy_Utah83 I have 12 5/50s I have more I could rank up but is it worth it when in the near future 5* champs will be pretty much necessary to complete content and remain competitive in Alliance content.

It cost a lot of to rank up 5* Champs so you have to be very selective but if we aren’t getting enough cracks at 5* crystals progress will halt and the balance of the game will worsen.
    @Bahamut 300k PI, I have 12 5/50s Iceman AA, SL, Hulk, HE, CB, Wolverine, Voodoo and a few more.

Waiting to see if I can pull a good 5* before I finish the last 3 chapters to become uncollected.
  • Adamdrt2006Adamdrt2006 Posts: 429
    edited January 2018
    I say that 4* are still verry relavent i did the boss rush (still havent 100% act 4 or even rttlol) and only used about 10 revives mostly on mags and used either 5/50 pr 4/40 4*s
  • DoctorJDoctorJ Posts: 842 ★★★
    This thread mad me rofl
  • Feeney234Feeney234 Posts: 1,150 ★★★★
    I'm debating weather to rank another up or just save everything. If I get to the point where I have to use the isos and t4s I will. But I'm sailing through act 4 chapter 4 with 4* 5/50s. Do I want more 5s yes are they hard to get yes. So wait just like everyone has to. If you get lucky great.

This my current rotation and their good enough for every thing I need. Just finished master run on the monthly.

I wish I had a blade 5* or hyp, ice, spark, gwenpool, aa... but I don't. One day I will or I won't.... but I'll have all I need when the rng blesses me .cbo6o11knllf.png

Lol why do u have a max Deadpool?? 😂😂😂
  • Spurgeon14Spurgeon14 Posts: 1,665 ★★★★
    I personally find it difficult to justify ranking up 4* knowing at their best they wont help me get any further in the game. I have 5 4* at 5/50. I'm pretty set on just ranking 5* now unless I get like an Iceman or Sparky or someone I know has a purpose as a maxed 4*.
  • DizastarDizastar Posts: 56
    I don't know but I'm 5/50'ing my Starky & Wolverine... & GR.. Probably it though... Have other good champs but 3/30 or 4/40 if they are lucky with where I'm at in the game.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    Blax4ever wrote: »
    The current state of the game is not good from a balance stand point.

I don't think you understand what game "balance" is. The point to a progressional game is to reward progress. When we expand and strengthen our rosters, we're rewarded with more power. But that power increase is only a reward if it makes the content we do easier on a relative basis. That's the whole point to ranking up champions and acquiring new champions. If our rewards dropped every time we ranked up our champions then we wouldn't be getting rewarded for ranking up, we'd be getting penalized. That's nonsensical.

All other things being equal, the game should reward higher skill. But all other things aren't treated equally when it comes to roster strength in a game explicitly intended to reward roster strength. The reward for earning champions and ranking up roster is that you will have more strength to do content than someone with less champions ranked up less. The game balances rewards and content around that design decision.

If you're going to lower rewards for higher strength roster, then you might as well lower rewards for longer game play. After all, it is much easier to win at this game if you've had more practice. It takes a lot more intrinsic gaming skill to beat the content with no practice than with years of practice. We let people increase their twitch reflexes with practice, and we don't penalize them for increasing their twitch reflexes over time. We also don't penalize players for amassing better rosters.

What you are asking for is like if basketball awarded less points for a basket to tall people. Basketball is not intended to be "balanced" in that way.
  • SpiritOfVengeanceSpiritOfVengeance Posts: 2,353 ★★★★
    Basketball.
  • CodornasCodornas Posts: 542 ★★
    edited January 2018
    LoPresti wrote: »
    If you can't pull a good 5 star, then yes, they are worth it. Cause it's literally all you got.

I agree, 5 stars need to be as obtainable as 4 stars now with 6 stars on the way. Fighting 6 stars in AW is gonna be hell with a 4 star roster.

And no, giving people double rewards for using lesser champs is just dumb.

If 6* are op as they say, 3 minutes to kill em will be stupid, timer should increase to 4 or 5 min
    Its super BS that we lose 50% hp with timers, i didnt fkn die, keep my hp the same
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    LoPresti wrote: »
    I agree, 5 stars need to be as obtainable as 4 stars now with 6 stars on the way. Fighting 6 stars in AW is gonna be hell with a 4 star roster.

For a year before 6* champions were announced, I cautioned people who were asking for 5* shards to be made more plentiful that 5* champions were the top end pursuit goal of the game, and the only way Kabam would significantly increase the availability of 5* shards would be if they added a new, higher power, harder to get pursuit goal to the top of the game.

If Kabam makes 5* shards as easy to get as 4* shards are now, that would make it too easy to accumulate 6* shards from duping. That would only happen if Kabam was replacing 6* champions with something else even more powerful and even harder to get. Asking for 5* shards to be as plentiful as 4* shards are now is essentially asking Kabam to accelerate adding 7* champions to the game. Try not to do that.

• whaler213whaler213 Posts: 151
    I have nearly 30 5/50 Champions with some champions I'm still considering ranking to that point. I also have another 15 or so champions at 5* r3 or above. at the point of the game you are at 5/50s are absolutely still relevant. you need different utility for different parts of the game.

One thing you need to realize is just because the content exists now doesn't mean you need to just throw units/revives at the problem with your current roster until you finish the story quests will continue to be there play at your own pace focus on the monthly event quests/aq/aw to increase your roster and skill and when your ready go back into the story/LoL there is nothing saying you have to do these things today or tomorrow
  • Dexman1349Dexman1349 Posts: 3,060 ★★★★★
    edited January 2018
    At the end of the day, you have to evaluate your own roster and determine what gives you the best opportunity to progress in the game. You then have to review the "help me now" versus "prepared for later" scenario. Do you stockpile resources now in the hopes you'll pull a good 5* at the cost of using 4/40 champs in limited areas of the game? Or do you rank up your good 4* champs to unlock more content at the risk of not having the resources to rank up a 5* if/when you get one?

My situation is more end-game based. Tier 5+ war, AQ map 5x5, uncollected, completed ROL, almost done with RTTL. Basically, I only really have LOL and Act 5 left. All of that is done with 5/50 champs, so they are very much relevant.

I've stopped ranking 3* champs altogether. I have almost 50 of them who do absolutely nothing outside of arena grinding. A couple passes through and I have the milestones. That doesn't mean that 3* champs are irrelevant to other players in the game. I would have killed for half of these 3* champs the first couple months of the game while I was learning how to play.

I've also stopped ranking 4* champs unless I see a need to do so. I'm trying to stockpile T1A, so I won't rank them up unless I plan on taking them to at least 4/40 for utility. The pool of champs that fit that category is shrinking every week and is down to essentially champs like Blade or Iceman.

5/50 champs are still very relevant to me, but I don't plan on ranking any more up to that level unless they fill a need (AW defense or god-tier attack).

The other thing that keeps them relevant is the cost & luck around 5* champs. It took me a dozen pulls over the course of a year to finally get a couple worthy of ranking up (Hood & Dr V). Even if you pull a good champ, you could be waiting months to awaken them and actually unlock their abilities. I would rather R5 a god-tier 4* champ to be able to fight through game content than sit on the sidelines while I wait for another good 5* pull. Plus, are you generating the resources fast enough to justify ranking up a mediocre 5* who doesn't help you? Would you rather R3 a 5* Hulkbuster instead of taking a 4* Ultron or Doc Ock to R5?
    @DNA3000 No one said decrease rewards what is being debated is whether defeating harder content with lower star weaker champs deserves higher rewards since the skill and level of difficulty are different.

And does it make sense to continue ranking up 4* heroes when the 6* champs will render them useless in a matter of time. Just to keep pace you will need a 5* roster just as solid as your 3* and 4* while the players with solid 5* rosters will start building their 6* rosters.

@Dexman1349 if you only have good 4* champs and 5
    Shards aren’t coming in fast enough and putting in 8 to 10 hours in the Arenas to get a few hundred 5* shards isn’t a possibility the game stops making any sense to play.

If you take your 5/50s into uncollected EQ and you get Ice Phoenixed, it’s going to cost you resources but if you get blessed by the RNG gods and get a good 5* you can survive the unavoidable damage BS and hold your resources for another time.

So to make up for the unbalanced game play Kabam says instead of the 7500 5* shards here is a 5* crystal instead.

• Dexman1349Dexman1349 Posts: 3,060 ★★★★★
    You have 3 options when it comes to Ice Phoenix situations:
    1) Spend the resources to beat it right now
    2) Develop the skills to beat it with what you have
    3) Don't fight it and focus your gameplay on building your roster

I have done all 3 in the last month alone. I have faced content that I know I cannot beat, so I took a break and focused on other aspects of the game (uncollected monthly Void). I have "paid my way" through some of the content because I knew the rewards were worth more than the cost (Boss Magneto). And a couple of times I would fight, fail, try again, fail, try again, until I got to the point that I could do it (ROL).

At no point have I faced something and thought that the champs I'm ranking are worthless (even the 3* champs I rank up). I do take the time to learn about the champs that I have and I rank them accordingly. Do they help me progress in the game? If yes, then I will throw as much resources at them as reasonably needed. If no, then they sit in my roster to serve only as a source of ISO if/when I dupe them.
  • phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,677 ★★★★★
    I just want a 5/50 questing team made up of the best of what I have or a really good 4* pull that I don't have now.

I'm not taking any 4* to 4/40 unless its someone I can use at 5/50

Quake is my only 5/50, can take a mystic to R5 soon.

Then I will do nothing until I get decent 5* since T4CC are not something I can get easily.
  • MrblackkkMrblackkk Posts: 53
    This game is not about skill anymore. Is who can buy the most units from kabam now. LoL
    @CpcBoyboy I wasn’t focusing in on the top 1% of the players but the players who are active and have skill but are hitting a wall because of RNG or having to play for 6-7 Weeks to get another shot a 5* Basic crystal.

The top 1% will have 6* heroes as soon as they are released, there are about 100 5* Champs In the pool right now. If you pulled one new 5* Champs per month it would take you 4yrs to have all of them in there right now.
  • Deadbyrd9Deadbyrd9 Posts: 3,469 ★★★★
    Only a select few are worth it
    @Deadbyrd9 That’s my point giving people more reasonable shots at 5* champs will only help active players stay more involved in the game. When you watch a video of some open 5 or 6 featured crystals and open up nothing but arena fodder a cold reality starts to set in.

A player can be active, can be good, and still get stuck in progression which makes them more likely to quit and that helps throw the balance off in the game
    I’m stuck because of gold. I just don’t have the time to grind enough to keep a large stash. I have 10 t2 alphas and want to take up void but just need about 1 mil more gold
  • Spurgeon14Spurgeon14 Posts: 1,665 ★★★★
    @Deadbyrd9

I wouldn't mind giving you gold if I could. I have over 5 million because I don't get rank worthy champs or items I need to rank them up fast enough. So gold just builds and builds.
    If can’t put in 3-4 hours per day your progress will stall in one part of the game or another
    Well I do have 5 rank 4 5*s already so I have spent a lot of gold but I still need more @Spurgeo14