**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.

Death matches...why?

I am a major arena grinder, I hit all mile stones in 3*/4* and then try for 4-5m in 5* feature for 5* shards. Since the update I keep getting death matches between fights 25-30, up till then it’s similar pi starting at fights 19-20, then boom, get kabamed. Anyone experiencing this or am I missing something?
rwbwgkmgskm3.jpeg
vtxgap1afqik.jpeg
lzt5k0f41agl.png

Comments

• SuperSam57SuperSam57 Posts: 325
    Middle pic wasn’t really a death math, just accidentally added that one
  • jlamadisonjlamadison Posts: 274
    Ever since the update this has been happening a lot. Think the infinite streak formula is now changed.
  • Dtl7714Dtl7714 Posts: 465 ★★★
    Well I am sure it would have nothing to do with Kabaam trying to get money by getting you to pay units for a new matchup.
  • NevvBNevvB Posts: 287 ★★★
    Probably new algorithm with players now having 2 5/65 champs.
  • CodornasCodornas Posts: 542 ★★
    Maybe im mistaken cause i dont do that arena that uses 6*, but i think the cutoff is higher there, try using 40/40 and above only
  • KyleMKyleM Posts: 129
    Not sure seen it myself but just means a few extra rounds going for medusa already at 4m
  • The1_NuclearOnionThe1_NuclearOnion Posts: 907 ★★★
    Don't consider them "Death matches" but instead "uncollected arena matches".
    #problemsolver
  • DarthPhalDarthPhal Posts: 1,064 ★★★★
    I usually don't go lower than 4/40 champs in arena and I have not encountered this. It may be that 3/30 is dipping too far into the roster for this arena now.
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    SuperSam57 wrote: »
    @Kabam Miike Thank you for replying to my post, but how is it that I fight CODEX every time? Doesn’t seem so random, I 100% believe there is something going on here that was not there before.
    There just are not many people with 2x5/65 so the potential opponent pool is small. Also arenas seem to favor pools of players to match against rather than everyone in the arena.

Back in the day there were only like 5-10 people in mcoc capable of 2x4/55 and they were the defacto death matches for the whole community.
  • GwendolineGwendoline Posts: 945 ★★★
    SuperSam57 wrote: »
    @Kabam Miike Thank you for replying to my post, but how is it that I fight CODEX every time? Doesn’t seem so random, I 100% believe there is something going on here that was not there before.

Because he’s one of the few that has 2 r5 champs. When I used my lower end champs I constantly ran into the same death squads, as far as I know, it’s always been like that.
  • GalahhGalahh Posts: 32
    Good job tho, you beat a 6 Star with a 4 star electro!
  • Blax4everBlax4ever Posts: 683 ★★★
    LOL, so now you will need a bunch of 3/45 and 5/50s to keep your matches SP3 free.

Yeah, about that gold, T1A and catalyst RNG problem
  • DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    @SuperSam57 Great post, I started a thread on this topic a few days ago and was unable to get a clear answer. I think most people who have commented on this topic are not big arena grinders (most, not all). 3* arena and both 4* arenas have set PI cutoffs that go into effect once the infinite streak has been achieved:

3* Arena = Not sure about PI but teams of 3/30 3*s keep the infinite streak after 18 wins
    4* Basic Arena = PI 5,500 after 18 wins
    4* Featured Arena = PI somewhere around 8,500+ after 18-19 wins
    5* Arena = No one knows

What's frustrating about this is members commenting as if they know how the 5* arena infinite streak works when no one has established how it does yet. Even Trucos hasn't released information regarding specifics of how to keep the infinite streak in 5* arena yet. Check the pictures below, it will be huge when someone figures out the 5* arena infinite streak like Trucos has for other arenas.

polfeeysamvt.png
    n9krgq8n4ao1.jpg
    35ht2rp209b4.jpg
  • Sp3edD3m0nSp3edD3m0n Posts: 90
    @SuperSam57 Great post, I started a thread on this topic a few days ago and was unable to get a clear answer. I think most people who have commented on this topic are not big arena grinders (most, not all). 3* arena and both 4* arenas have set PI cutoffs that go into effect once the infinite streak has been achieved:

3* Arena = Not sure about PI but teams of 3/30 3*s keep the infinite streak after 18 wins
    5* Arena = No one knows

I think its important to clarify (for the Noobs) when you say PI 5,500, it means cumulative of all 3 champs. So, approximately 1850 per champ. Additionally PI does not include the bump from masteries.

i

Sp3edD3m0n wrote: »
    I think its important to clarify (for the Noobs) when you say PI 5,500, it means cumulative of all 3 champs. So, approximately 1850 per champ. Additionally PI does not include the bump from masteries.

@Sp3edD3m0n Well said, thanks for clarifying for newer players
  • IvylabIvylab Posts: 9
    @SuperSam57 I have been experiencing the same thing yesterday during this current arena. Like you I am an arena grinder. I was hoping to get 5* Luke Cage to add him to my roster but the death matches happened deep into my streak which this all started at 93 and then 4 times after that within 12 matches. What’s more confusing about this is that yes I had managed to survive the death matches but then when I select the next team which has lower Pi than my previous team when this death match appeared it goes back to normal with similar Pi to my team. I have been using the same roster and process for each of my arena grinding which I had no problems with or encountered any death matches which I got Jane Foster from the 5* arena and also Gambit using that exact same process as I did in this arena but something is definitely a miss here since the update. And these death matches occurred shortly into my high maxed 3/30s.
    edited April 2018
    r9njd0jd5qy7.png
    vc6d6kdalacy.png

Current 5* arena, PI of 8,403 and no death squad

t91hx1jkg6up.png
    7qdbkwb66hk2.png

Last round’s 5* arena, PI of 9K+ and death squad both times

w0ibysuo9c0e.png

Last round’s 5* arena, PI of 8,500-8,999 and death squad

5* arena is unique, PI threshold is random or does not exist
  • XFA_RebootedXFA_Rebooted Posts: 1,048 ★★★
    edited April 2018
    Yeah, before the update I could get streaks of about 80, now it is just about 20. Once I get to the 14-20 range it is just pure death mode. I'm lucky to get past 20. It's kinda ridiculous imo.
    Yeah, before the update I could get streaks of about 80, now it is just about 20. Once I get to the 14-20 range it is just pure death mode. I'm lucky to get past 20. It's kinda ridiculous imo.

Helps to use power control champs once you start getting 5* r4-r5 and 6* opponents. I managed to get 5* Luke Cage last round without using units to refresh champs, once you get a streak of 20-25+ wins 4* 3/30s are usually safe if you can keep your team’s PI at 9K+.

I started using champions that have synergies last round to keep my arena team’s PI at 9K*, got a streak of 787 after losing to a death squad at 48 wins. Champions like Civil Warrior/Magik/Dormammu/Vision/Hawkeye are great for the final rounds before the infinite streak kicks in.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,470 Guardian

5* Arena = No one knows

I don't think this is exactly true, in terms of "set cutoffs." Notice how even if you use teams with essentially the same total PI past round 25 the difficulty of the team you face varies up and down, even if you don't draw a "death match."

I've expressed my theory on how the arena works elsewhere, but the basic idea is this: there's an invisible difficulty counter that starts very low and rises as your streak count rises. The game compares your team PI to the counter. If your team is higher, the team you face is lower. If your team is lower, the team you face is higher. If the lower your team relative to the counter, the higher the team you face. So if you are too low, eventually the game says something like "send in a one million PI team." There is no such team, so the game just tries to find the highest possible.

The difficulty counter starts near zero and rises until about streak 10 or 11, then it starts to drop. It continues to drop until round 14, then it more or less levels out to about round 19. Then it reaches a low point and from that point onward the difficulty level "wobbles" slightly up and down, which causes the difficulty of the matches you see to wobble a little up and down.

The infinite streak guides all attempt to find a rule of thumb that will work with these mechanics to try to keep you above the difficulty meter all the time, and they have safety margins built into them. Because of that, players following the guides tend to not see the gritty details of how the arena system works.

What is different between arenas is the shape of the difficulty curve. And the other thing that changes over time is us. If the arena computes that you should face a difficulty that is very high, you might not see what the arena computes if no such team can be built. But when players started ranking up 5/65 and also 6* champs the "death matches" changed. I don't think the formula changed, the options available to the game engine changed. This is important because some players have figured out their own systems for dealing with "death matches" and some players can simply run over them because they have strong enough teams to do so. But sometimes those systems break down when the players give the game engine stronger options to send against players in the arena.

Here's what I do in the 5* featured. I start with my lowest 4* champs, which are 3/30s. I use those until round 8. Up to round 8 the game is mostly sending 9k-10k against my 7k and that's doable. At round 9 I switch to using my strongest teams, which are 15-20k teams. The matches get harder from 9 to 11, then start to get easier from 12 to 15. Once I reach 15, I'm home free: teams of 5/50 work for me, and by the time I run out of those I'm way past 20. But to be safe, I do not use anything lower than 10k until I reach 25. If I screw up, it is usually right around round 11 or 12 where the difficulty relative to the team I'm bringing in is about as high as it can get.

But I don't know what you *need*. I only know what is good enough, given my roster.
    @DNA3000 I agree that the “death squads” for 5* arena are different from 4* arenas. Team PI cutoffs have been determined or at least estimated for 3* and 4* arenas, information released by Trucos has proven to be valid time and time again. I’d like to think I have a decent grasp on 5* arena considering I ranked top 150 last round without using units and only having 30 of my 104 4*s at 4/40+.

That being said, I have no clue what factors contribute to running into death squads once the infinite streak has begun in 5* arena. The OP’s point was asking about how to avoid death squads in 5* arena. So far the best answer to that question has been use only 4/40+ champions once the infinite streak has begun. Unless you’re a big time spender or have 60+ 4* champions at 4/40 that strategy will keep you from ranking top 150 and possibly from even ranking top 10% in 5* arena.
  • StrStr Posts: 547 ★★
    edited May 2018
    There are more harder matches now. Here's what i do for 5* featured

1-9 any 5* or 4* 5/50s
    10-11 5* r3s (god tiers) or 5/50 4*
    12-16 5* r4s or sandbag with lower level champs
    17-20 5*r3s or 5/50 4* (demigod tier and above)
    21+ any 5* champs

There are some tough fights but no death matches.

I am lucky that my roster is large enough to do this. Normally i pause after fight 14 refresh my r4s and do some other arenas, quest or dungeon.

I tend to do 2 lots of most of my 5*s each day and easily rack up 6m.
  • drakan73drakan73 Posts: 2
    Yesterday I was playing 4* featured just for shards and after 120 streak, with a 4* 3/30 teams I always use, I got a death squad (2 5* 5/65 and one 5* 4/55). It was first time it happened. PI was well above 10k (with suicides on) and that team is used in every refresh. I managed to get 1-10% rank even if I had to recover a partial streak in the last 2h of arena, but I wonder if this can repeat in the future. I was thinking (verified by many of 4* featured i did in past months since 5* featured was introduced) that 4* 3/30 were safe in that arena... but now I wonder if the algorithm has some chance to give you an highly PI rated team (in my case over 3 times my PI) despite of streak match you are.
This discussion has been closed.