**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

#GetInThePool - LOWERING ARENA CUTOFFS

Comments

• Options
    BigMoBigMo Posts: 175
    I think if everyone gets the same score everyone loses. I saw on Reddit that two teams got the same score in AW and they both got a loss. Not 100% that was real, but it probably was.
  • Options
    MayhemEffectMayhemEffect Posts: 112
    BigMo wrote: »
    I think the plan is for people like me who do grind for the basic champs on the weeks I don't want or need the basic to still put in a little time to help the overall community. If the regular arena players still put in a little work to get a few milestones when they don't want the champ it helps out the beginning players by lowering the cutoff. We don't want the beginners to help the vets, we want the vets to help the beginners.

if that is how this turns out that is wonderful, but when I look at the numbers I do not see that being the outcome. It will help the people that are on the borderline and only a percentage of them.

Let me help you out here Mayhem. No one is asking the "lower class" to prop up the upper class on the backs of their labor.

You ask what do they get out of it. If you are in the lower tiers.. Grinding arena is probably the only sustainable and repeatable place for you to get any traction on your account with out spending money. Base rank rewards give 75 4 star shards and an arena boost crystal. 150K gets you 30 units, 4500 battle chips, 5500 gold, and 3600 PHC shards which have a chance to award a 2, 3, or 4 star. All of these things help to increase your roster and upgradeability. Not to mention the battle chips you get for each match set which is about 360. People are helping themselves by helping the community. The top grinders will always grind, I'm not asking the community to come together to help the top tier get more heroes.. I'm asking everyone to come together to help make getting rewards more accessible to the lower tiers and widen the pool of people who can get rewards. Helping people on the bottom get to the mid and top ranges faster.. a LOT faster.

I really and honestly don't understand how this is a bad thing.

Some people think this is helping the rich get richer.. so therefore will just horde their resources and never invest out of fear. They will literally stay in the same place making very little movement forward while the gap widens. It's sad.

It is not a bad thing if people could work together on the whole. But the ability to contribute as a whole is limited not by the players but by the system in place. Upper players can not donate to lower tier players in a way that this can trickle down. (and that is due to people who would otherwise exploit the system) This concept as noble as it is, is reliant on the bottom to prop up the middle class, in disproportionate numbers. And that will cause gaps to widen. If it results in just the top tier people taking a little extra time to grind what is needed so that the middle gets a better chance at the target percentage then it will work.

It is not that I see it as "bad" per say but very disproportionately balanced, very much like a pyramid scheme.
  • Options
    Rahul_ContestRahul_Contest Posts: 105
    @DorkLessons i have this idea. If you have time then please go through it:https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/716/new-arena-system#latest
  • Options
    JSnookJSnook Posts: 219
    I think the plan is for people like me who do grind for the basic champs on the weeks I don't want or need the basic to still put in a little time to help the overall community. If the regular arena players still put in a little work to get a few milestones when they don't want the champ it helps out the beginning players by lowering the cutoff. We don't want the beginners to help the vets, we want the vets to help the beginners.

if that is how this turns out that is wonderful, but when I look at the numbers I do not see that being the outcome. It will help the people that are on the borderline and only a percentage of them.

Let me help you out here Mayhem. No one is asking the "lower class" to prop up the upper class on the backs of their labor.

You ask what do they get out of it. If you are in the lower tiers.. Grinding arena is probably the only sustainable and repeatable place for you to get any traction on your account with out spending money. Base rank rewards give 75 4 star shards and an arena boost crystal. 150K gets you 30 units, 4500 battle chips, 5500 gold, and 3600 PHC shards which have a chance to award a 2, 3, or 4 star. All of these things help to increase your roster and upgradeability. Not to mention the battle chips you get for each match set which is about 360. People are helping themselves by helping the community. The top grinders will always grind, I'm not asking the community to come together to help the top tier get more heroes.. I'm asking everyone to come together to help make getting rewards more accessible to the lower tiers and widen the pool of people who can get rewards. Helping people on the bottom get to the mid and top ranges faster.. a LOT faster.

Some people think this is helping the rich get richer.. so therefore will just horde their resources and never invest out of fear. They will literally stay in the same place making very little movement forward while the gap widens. It's sad.

I think the reason this doesn't gain traction, is people seem to have a broad misunderstanding of what causes the cutoff to be so high. They think it's solely people running up the score and refusing to stop at say 4 mil. They don't realize that it's just participation #'s that are not as high as they should be (in my opinion).

I have realized, from the an arena recently, where I missed the cutoff for the hero my rank was 12,450ish and that was good enough for 11-25%. This means that there were less than 124,500 players to score at least 150k in arenas. So for the Mordo arena that ended last, I scored 1.2 mil with a rank in the 32,000 range. If 320,000 people had scored over 150k then the cutoff would have been considerably lower.

In the end, until more people participate in arenas and score enough to rank, the cutoffs will still be out of this world. It doesn't matter what the 'grinders' do.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★
    JSnook wrote: »

I think the reason this doesn't gain traction, is people seem to have a broad misunderstanding of what causes the cutoff to be so high. They think it's solely people running up the score and refusing to stop at say 4 mil. They don't realize that it's just participation #'s that are not as high as they should be (in my opinion).

I have realized, from the an arena recently, where I missed the cutoff for the hero my rank was 12,450ish and that was good enough for 11-25%. This means that there were less than 124,500 players to score at least 150k in arenas. So for the Mordo arena that ended last, I scored 1.2 mil with a rank in the 32,000 range. If 320,000 people had scored over 150k then the cutoff would have been considerably lower.

In the end, until more people participate in arenas and score enough to rank, the cutoffs will still be out of this world. It doesn't matter what the 'grinders' do.

There is some validity to it. Discussing scores doesn't really have an effect. The Results are based on a percentage that factors the highest and lowest qualifying scores, and the number of participants. The more people who participate and qualify, the broader the percentages. To a point. It's also determined by the highest scores as well. Meaning, if the majority of participants are scoring high, that makes the cutoff higher at that end, and much closer of a race. It's true that it can alleviate some of the cutoffs. It won't be an ultimate solution because it all depends on how much eveyone is putting up, and how many are qualifying. This is not the case for the top Ranks because they are simply numbered.
  • Options
    Mr_WiffMr_Wiff Posts: 244
    I'm sorry but this kind of seems as though you are asking people to spend their time so you can get champs to dominate the game even more. I understand that it may be the "nice thing to do" but mot all of us cannot do 20 hour grinds and the minimum rewards do not "greatly" benefit everyone. So in order to help people that spend their lives on this game we must spend our own time to help you get champions that make life hard for us in wars and your response to that argument is "get better" so basically telling us you need to be so good at the game to deserve ridiculously good rewards whist the rest of us get diddly squat. I stay out of the pool on the overpowered champions like Mordo and I will for Voodoo. But I will happily do it in 3 star arena as more player do that whom need to build their roster. likewise with some featured champs such as gamora as the rank rewards are better and these champs don't always make a difference to us in wars. In short I don't see why those of us whom have little time should spend it helping those whom do especially in cases where the champ they are grinding for will make our game life harder.

As a disclaimer this is by no means aimed at any specific person least of all at Dave whom started this feed.
  • Options

There is some validity to it. Discussing scores doesn't really have an effect. The Results are based on a percentage that factors the highest and lowest qualifying scores, and the number of participants. The more people who participate and qualify, the broader the percentages. To a point. It's also determined by the highest scores as well. Meaning, if the majority of participants are scoring high, that makes the cutoff higher at that end, and much closer of a race. It's true that it can alleviate some of the cutoffs. It won't be an ultimate solution because it all depends on how much eveyone is putting up, and how many are qualifying. This is not the case for the top Ranks because they are simply numbered.

There is absolute validity to the statement. I'm not going to argue with you, but the final result is based on how many people 'rank' (score about 150k). If 300k do that, the 30k ranked player and up get the hero, period. The chance of 30k ranked players scoring above 4.5-5mil is slim to none, and slim left town. At that point it wouldn't matter if the top 10k scored 20 mil each, the cutoff is whatever the lowest ranked person of 10% is.
  • Options

There is absolute validity to the statement. I'm not going to argue with you, but the final result is based on how many people 'rank' (score about 150k). If 300k do that, the 30k ranked player and up get the hero, period. The chance of 30k ranked players scoring above 4.5-5mil is slim to none, and slim left town. At that point it wouldn't matter if the top 10k scored 20 mil each, the cutoff is whatever the lowest ranked person of 10% is.

Perhaps you didn't read what I said.
  • Options

I did, I interpreted it as "I agree with what you are saying, but refuse to just say that". :smiley:
  • Options

I did, I interpreted it as "I agree with what you are saying, but refuse to just say that". :smiley:

Hahaha. :);)
  • Options
    I think Mayhem is right here. Yes, on the whole if more people grind then more people get the reward. However, for me as an individual, for every 10 that join I have to beat 9 of them to get a champ. So while it does increase the overall number of champs rewarded it the ratio of winners vs losers remains the same. So technically its not easier.

Obviously some of those losers are not really losing because they may not want the champ and just want the items. Those people are helping everyone. However, if I don't think the rewards are worth the grind then I see no motivation for me to grind so everyone else gets it easier. If I do think the champ is worth it but don't feel I can make top 10% then I definitely see no motivation for me to help those above me win a champ.
  • Options
    BCdiscmanBCdiscman Posts: 348
    I know people are always coming down on @MayhemEffect (and usually for very good reason IMHO) but I totally agree here. This is a way for big grinders to convince the little guys to help more of them get the featured/basic champs all the while convincing the little guys that they are getting something great by getting a few milestone rewards. #SomeonePeedInThePool.
  • Options
    In my opinion arena is the best way for a free player to advance. You can only do so many quests before you run out of energy. In arena you get gold, credits, and crystals that give either champs or dupes for ISO. I can understand if someone only has time to do the 3* arena. I was there first starting out before I built up a large roster. Now I do the basic arena even if I don't want the champ. The rewards in my mind are worth the effort. You get 4* shards every arena you get at least 150k and if you place higher you get 5* shards. This is one of the most consistent places you can farm 4* and 5* shards.
  • Options
    Mr_WiffMr_Wiff Posts: 244
    Mr_Wiff wrote: »
    I'm sorry but this kind of seems as though you are asking people to spend their time so you can get champs to dominate the game even more. I understand that it may be the "nice thing to do" but mot all of us cannot do 20 hour grinds and the minimum rewards do not "g.

The get in the pool idea requires something much closer to 20 matches than 20 hours.

I know but that's to get the minimum rewards. You all say “but you get 4 star shards" yes and you get 4x as many from summoner advancement and completion. Only hardcore alliances do the arena events. And other than that the rewards are ****. Battle chips only get you more gold than anything else and the units are kind of useful but its easier to do quests and less repetitive. I still think this is grinders asking us to do the work for them. If you want the champion that badly work for it or rely on luck like the rest of us from crystals.
  • Options
    Sad to see the amount of people fighting this.. I see a lot of complaints on just about everything in the game. The ONE thing we have as a community to help each other be better together.. and people on a whole don't want to do it. It's a collective 20 MAAAAAYYBE even 40 minutes of your time over a 3 day period to make champions available to the LOWER TIER players.

The fear of higher tier players getting champions is utterly ridiculous by comparison. They are gonna get them one way or another.. So the idea is to hurt others in your brackets and brother brackets to make grinders grind more??
    How does this even make sense?!

This is the kind of thinking that makes people delight in the fact that they made a millionaire pay an extra $100.. cause.. cause.. they're a millionaire..so .. they can afford it. Meanwhile also costing the lower middle class family man living check to check the same $100 unnecessarily. But hey at least we stuck it to that millionaire but good!

People complain about the barrier of entry to the game.. They gave you a way to get around it. What do you want now? Auto fight arenas? then Auto select fighters? Then Smart Auto Select for Synergies? Auto press continue? Auto claim rewards? Lol.

Plain and simple. Grinders and higher tier players will grind, they are used to it... 6 million, 12 million, 18 million??? No problem.

Regular players with lives, wives, kids and jobs can have a better shot at obtaining heroes with more people in the pool.

As for the people who want to do absolutely nothing and see no reason to help.. Don't help.. but then also.. don't complain..

Everyone who enters the pool even at the most basic level is earning themselves PHC crystals that do give a chance at 4 star heroes ( although rare ), more likely 3 stars and of course 2 stars.. which even still offer gold, ISO, 3 star shards and upgrade material. You get battlechips also which you can turn in for units.. buy things like featured crystals if you want, but more likely energy to help you progress in the game as well as potions etc. You also get gold from battlechips AND a chance at a 4 star punisher.. which of course no one gets but some do. Rank rewards at the lowest level of the Basic Arena awards you 75 four star shards. Eventually you will make a 4 star crystal on top of everything else you earn in the game. Progression is progression, and when you're finally able and ready to go for your first basic.. that should be a relatively easier grind than it ever was.. Granted people #GetInThePool.

To each their own though.. there are some that see the value in helping others while helping themselves.. others will only be worried about what other people gain over what they get.

All good though.. Even making a sweet and delicious cake requires a little bit of salt!

Stay Dorky everyone! Here's to lowering cutoffs for EVERYONE! Never stop, and keep on pushing!

I wasn't fighting the idea. Just pointing out that it only works to a certain extent because the other numbers factor in as well. It can alleviate it. No worries buddy. I Grind every Arena. :)
  • Options
    xion360xion360 Posts: 88
    Sad to see the amount of people fighting this.. I see a lot of complaints on just about everything in the game. The ONE thing we have as a community to help each other be better together.. and people on a whole don't want to do it. It's a collective 20 MAAAAAYYBE even 40 minutes of your time over a 3 day period to make champions available to the LOWER TIER players.

The fear of higher tier players getting champions is utterly ridiculous by comparison. They are gonna get them one way or another.. So the idea is to hurt others in your brackets and brother brackets to make grinders grind more??
    How does this even make sense?!

This is the kind of thinking that makes people delight in the fact that they made a millionaire pay an extra $100.. cause.. cause.. they're a millionaire..so .. they can afford it. Meanwhile also costing the lower middle class family man living check to check the same $100 unnecessarily. But hey at least we stuck it to that millionaire but good!

People complain about the barrier of entry to the game.. They gave you a way to get around it. What do you want now? Auto fight arenas? then Auto select fighters? Then Smart Auto Select for Synergies? Auto press continue? Auto claim rewards? Lol.

Plain and simple. Grinders and higher tier players will grind, they are used to it... 6 million, 12 million, 18 million??? No problem.

Regular players with lives, wives, kids and jobs can have a better shot at obtaining heroes with more people in the pool.

As for the people who want to do absolutely nothing and see no reason to help.. Don't help.. but then also.. don't complain..

Everyone who enters the pool even at the most basic level is earning themselves PHC crystals that do give a chance at 4 star heroes ( although rare ), more likely 3 stars and of course 2 stars.. which even still offer gold, ISO, 3 star shards and upgrade material. You get battlechips also which you can turn in for units.. buy things like featured crystals if you want, but more likely energy to help you progress in the game as well as potions etc. You also get gold from battlechips AND a chance at a 4 star punisher.. which of course no one gets but some do. Rank rewards at the lowest level of the Basic Arena awards you 75 four star shards. Eventually you will make a 4 star crystal on top of everything else you earn in the game. Progression is progression, and when you're finally able and ready to go for your first basic.. that should be a relatively easier grind than it ever was.. Granted people #GetInThePool.

To each their own though.. there are some that see the value in helping others while helping themselves.. others will only be worried about what other people gain over what they get.

All good though.. Even making a sweet and delicious cake requires a little bit of salt!

Stay Dorky everyone! Here's to lowering cutoffs for EVERYONE! Never stop, and keep on pushing!

I just think the ones fighting it don't fully understand the entire concept, me personally 3 runs in arena will get me a little over 1.5 million once a day easy roughly about 40 minutes as you put it. Not sure why so many people are afraid to progress & want everything handed to them.
  • Options
    Draco2199Draco2199 Posts: 803 ★★★
    Cutoffs aren't bad at all, I get top 800 with half the matches I used to do.
  • Options
    tronixtontronixton Posts: 7
    i feel like the movement acts as a golden rule that does work both ways. low level players get PHCs to make high players get better champions while high level players get PHCs for making mediocre champions available to anyone wanting to throw points at the arena.
  • Options
    I_am_GrootI_am_Groot Posts: 646 ★★
    I'm happy if the pool is bigger, but imo the problem are grinders rising the bar, ie, it's a fact, cutoffs are higher just because grinders are grinding more and more.
    The score graph is a line while people are doing milestones, then it grows exponentially when people wanting the champ.

The best for everyone (Kabam too) is if the champs are the last milestone. Of course, Kabam can put more rewards for ranks if they want.
    Yes, it's the best for Kabam too, I'll expand this idea the next days, although ironically it does not suit me because I'm thinking left the game and it would tied me again
  • Options
    If the pool of players stays the same then the scores will always get higher because people keep upgrading their rosters so that the scores they can put up with the same amount of effort increases over time. If more people keep joining the pool every week then hopefully this will keep the scores from increasing and maybe even going down.
  • Options
    Golden_GuardianGolden_Guardian Posts: 37
    Thing is, I just don't see the point. Arena's boring anyway
  • Options
    adqqedfyvradqqedfyvr Posts: 463
    Should be lowered to top 25%
  • Options
    Thestoryteller6Thestoryteller6 Posts: 153 ★★
    Arena used to be a real grind but not anymore... I find it really worth my while to go for the basic 4* champ just for milestones (and not always all milestones). Reasons:

1. Milestones are much closer together so I don't have to set aside so much time to get some decent rewards. Used to have to grind half a million points to get the next milestone. Now it's half that at the very most.
    2. Ranked rewards are very decent. Not only do I get 4* and maybe 5* shards, I also get arena boost crystals. These help me save even more time for the next arena.
    3. Units. Units from milestones and from battlechips. Arena is by far the best source of units.

To me, the new arena system is great and I would get in the pool just out of self interest.
  • Options
    RotmgmoddyRotmgmoddy Posts: 916 ★★★
    I think #GetInThePool is a good idea, but big question is, whether people are willing to follow that idea.

Like what OP said, just because more people do their minimums, doesn't necessarily mean that more top tier players are getting their featured heroes, thus increasing the gap. It's more of helping everyone out in my opinion.

The lower to mid tier are able to get some milestone and rank rewards just for meeting the 150k cutoff, the slightly-above mid tier are able to barely reach the lowered cutoff due to more players getting in the pool, and the top-tier stay the same, because the top-tier almost always overshoot and can easily do >10m. Point here is, regardless of whether more or less people join the pool, the ones who already have a strong roster are quite unaffected since they are already going to grind insane amounts.

I don't think anyone would 100% be against this idea.
  • Options
    A_Noob_Is1A_Noob_Is1 Posts: 762 ★★
    Mr_Wiff wrote: »
    I'm sorry but this kind of seems as though you are asking people to spend their time so you can get champs to dominate the game even more. I understand that it may be the "nice thing to do" but mot all of us cannot do 20 hour grinds and the minimum rewards do not "greatly" benefit everyone. So in order to help people that spend their lives on this game we must spend our own time to help you get champions that make life hard for us in wars and your response to that argument is "get better" so basically telling us you need to be so good at the game to deserve ridiculously good rewards whist the rest of us get diddly squat. I stay out of the pool on the overpowered champions like Mordo and I will for Voodoo. But I will happily do it in 3 star arena as more player do that whom need to build their roster. likewise with some featured champs such as gamora as the rank rewards are better and these champs don't always make a difference to us in wars. In short I don't see why those of us whom have little time should spend it helping those whom do especially in cases where the champ they are grinding for will make our game life harder.

As a disclaimer this is by no means aimed at any specific person least of all at Dave whom started this feed.

perfect. couldn't agree more
  • Options
    Feeney234Feeney234 Posts: 1,157 ★★★★
    More people in the pool, more rewards get handed out. Simple science.
  • Options
    I_am_GrootI_am_Groot Posts: 646 ★★
    In my opinion arena is the best way for a free player to advance. You can only do so many quests before you run out of energy. In arena you get gold, credits, and crystals that give either champs or dupes for ISO. I can understand if someone only has time to do the 3* arena. I was there first starting out before I built up a large roster. Now I do the basic arena even if I don't want the champ. The rewards in my mind are worth the effort. You get 4* shards every arena you get at least 150k and if you place higher you get 5* shards. This is one of the most consistent places you can farm 4* and 5* shards.
    Same here.
    Usually I don't go for champs because the cutoffs are insanes and it discourage me to waste time and efforts maybe for nothing, but I do milestones and lowers ranks always as I can, it are constants and SURE rewards.