**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

F2P or P2W

2»

Comments

• Options
    KpatrixKpatrix Posts: 1,055 ★★★
    P2W
    I don't have any issues making purchases when I need units or there's a good deal going on. Sometimes I'll buy crystals if it's a new champ I want. I don't whale out but I do spend and have no regrets. I enjoy the game and appreciate the work the devs have put into it. I'm already planning on spending on next months fgmc's as CM is one of my favorite champs and Fury looks to be a great synergy spot.

I just look at it the same way as people who play golf or take track days with bikes/cars; it's an outlet I enjoy and I want to do my part to keep it running.
  • Options
    winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,772 ★★★★★
    F2P
    No P2P?
  • Options
    winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,772 ★★★★★
    F2P

MaatMan said:

3rd option.

ocacasional P2P.
    this game is not P2W. there is no way you can spend and win.
    without some level of skill you cant win.
    you can spend and make progression faster.
    you can spend and get more champs easier.
    but in no world can you spend money and automatically win.

You can just spend to buy an infinite amount of revives to get a quest done.
    Unless there is a roadblock that stops it, like an enemy that regen's more than the damage you deal, and you have no champion or way to counter it
    Remembers Darkhawk. :(
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,660 Guardian
    MaatMan said:

3rd option.

ocacasional P2P.
    this game is not P2W. there is no way you can spend and win.
    without some level of skill you cant win.
    you can spend and make progression faster.
    you can spend and get more champs easier.
    but in no world can you spend money and automatically win.

You could buy the company, then order developers to make all your fights automatically win. I'm not sure if that's the second option, or a fourth option.
  • Options
    Putang76Putang76 Posts: 283 ★★
    Bought a few deals, thought it would give me a better chance/better champs.
    But got mostly **** 5 stars pulls

Someone once told me on the forums, best advice I got, don’t spend any money, that way you won’t be so disappointed. He was right!
    Still getting **** pulls, but it’s like whatever’s now 😆
  • Options
    MaatManMaatMan Posts: 958 ★★★
    ok
    so @DNA3000 @will-o-wisp
    there may be some world where you can p2w.
    but that requires some extreme spending and patience.
    going into LOL with 0 skill....

for 99% of spenders it would be p2p.
    p2p easier but not p2w
  • Options
    Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,764 ★★★★★
    F2P
    You can do LoL with 1-star champions.
    The amount of money wasted on it would be irrelevant. It's possible, let's keep with that.
    Not to mention some players here spend more than just a couple thousand dollars per month
  • Options
    MaatMan said:

ok
    so @DNA3000 @will-o-wisp

p2p easier but not p2w

In all seriousness there's the question of what "winning" is in a game like this. There are players ahead of me, but it is questionable whether that is "winning." The people who get to Disneyland one day ahead of you don't win Disneyland. And the people who finish Variant before me don't really win Variant in the sense that I lose Variant. It is still there waiting for me.

In certain specific situations in the game you can "win" - you can beat another alliance in alliance war, you can make the top 150 in the featured arena. You can win an event. But you can't actually win "the game" because the game itself has no victory condition.

Really, in this game you can pay to skip ahead, like advancing past a commercial in a TV recording, but you can't pay to get a different show. If everything that someone who pays thousands of dollars to do or get today are things I will get for nothing tomorrow, it isn't really winning that they are paying for, it is being first they are actually paying for.

The recent card offers in the unit store offer some context. When I look at those, I see (more or less) one offer for fifty bucks and one for seventy bucks, and the first one basically hands me a 5* crystal and 250 6* shards and the other hands me 1.25 5* crystals and 750 6* shards. At the moment, I earn about one 5* crystal a week, plus or minus, and something on the order of 3000-ish 6* shards per month (uncollected + 5* dups). Call that 750 a week. So the first offer is asking me to spend $50 to end up about one week ahead of my current progress, and the second one like nine days. Is it worth 50-70 bucks to get next week's rewards today? Not for me, so those offers are not worth it in my opinion. That's usually how I see spending. I don't see getting something for the money. I see it saving gameplay time. If you're getting one 5* champ every few months, $50 for another one might be a pretty good deal. If you're averaging one a week, maybe not.

At my current earning rate, COW is like fifty years ahead of me. Except, my earning rate won't be constant: it keeps rising as I get stronger and frankly as the game makes it easier over time to earn rewards. My guess is that in real terms COW has probably bought himself maybe two or three years ahead of me by spending. Considering how much he's spent, COW's "pay to win" isn't actually winning all that much. He got to see Disneyland two years before me. It won't really affect my enjoyment of Disneyland. Even if he wins, I don't really lose anything.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    DNA3000 said:

MaatMan said:

ok
    so @DNA3000 @will-o-wisp

p2p easier but not p2w

In all seriousness there's the question of what "winning" is in a game like this. There are players ahead of me, but it is questionable whether that is "winning." The people who get to Disneyland one day ahead of you don't win Disneyland. And the people who finish Variant before me don't really win Variant in the sense that I lose Variant. It is still there waiting for me.

In certain specific situations in the game you can "win" - you can beat another alliance in alliance war, you can make the top 150 in the featured arena. You can win an event. But you can't actually win "the game" because the game itself has no victory condition.

Really, in this game you can pay to skip ahead, like advancing past a commercial in a TV recording, but you can't pay to get a different show. If everything that someone who pays thousands of dollars to do or get today are things I will get for nothing tomorrow, it isn't really winning that they are paying for, it is being first they are actually paying for.

The recent card offers in the unit store offer some context. When I look at those, I see (more or less) one offer for fifty bucks and one for seventy bucks, and the first one basically hands me a 5* crystal and 250 6* shards and the other hands me 1.25 5* crystals and 750 6* shards. At the moment, I earn about one 5* crystal a week, plus or minus, and something on the order of 3000-ish 6* shards per month (uncollected + 5* dups). Call that 750 a week. So the first offer is asking me to spend $50 to end up about one week ahead of my current progress, and the second one like nine days. Is it worth 50-70 bucks to get next week's rewards today? Not for me, so those offers are not worth it in my opinion. That's usually how I see spending. I don't see getting something for the money. I see it saving gameplay time. If you're getting one 5* champ every few months, $50 for another one might be a pretty good deal. If you're averaging one a week, maybe not.

At my current earning rate, COW is like fifty years ahead of me. Except, my earning rate won't be constant: it keeps rising as I get stronger and frankly as the game makes it easier over time to earn rewards. My guess is that in real terms COW has probably bought himself maybe two or three years ahead of me by spending. Considering how much he's spent, COW's "pay to win" isn't actually winning all that much. He got to see Disneyland two years before me. It won't really affect my enjoyment of Disneyland. Even if he wins, I don't really lose anything.
    i agree.
    and there really is no "winning" MCOC and thats wat makes this game great.

some people think having biggest roster is winning.
    some think completing the hardest content quickly is winning.
    but really.
    there is more and more content so its not really winning.

i would have to say "winning" is completing the hardest content with minimal item usage and therefore cannot P2W at all.

you might actually enjoy disneyland better cus by the time you get there it has improved and also the sense of acomplishment will be greater. therefore you may fell more like you have "WON"
  • Options
    do you spend more and fly to your destination?
    or take a longer time and sail there?
    you both get there...
    one is just faster?
    what is actually more enjoyable?
  • Options
    MaatMan said:

i would have to say "winning" is completing the hardest content with minimal item usage and therefore cannot P2W at all.

We all get to decide what our own personal victory condition is. If COW having fun spending (all the) money and Brian Grant is having fun not spending money, that's all good. I'm somewhere in the middle, as is most of humanity, and as long as you're having fun and playing within the limits you set for yourself, you can decide what winning is for yourself.
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

MaatMan said:

We all get to decide what our own personal victory condition is. If COW having fun spending (all the) money and Brian Grant is having fun not spending money, that's all good. I'm somewhere in the middle, as is most of humanity, and as long as you're having fun and playing within the limits you set for yourself, you can decide what winning is for yourself.
    i feel like i am winning everytime i dont buy a crystal.
  • Options
    Vivek_786Vivek_786 Posts: 217
    F2P
    Only AUTOPLAY....😂🤣😂🤣😂😎
  • Options

acct 1 lifetime spend: around $2k (avg $500/yr)
    acct 2 lifetime spend: $350 (cyber Monday '18)
    acct 3 lifetime spend: $1 (facebook fail champ)
    acct 4 lifetime spend: nada

to be fair, up till 2018 i wrote off the majority of expenses on that first account until changes to tax laws stopped that. Suffice it to say that spend has dropped quite a bit since then. Also, for comparison, my gym membership comes out to $780/year, and I'm certainly getting more bang for my buck from our friends at kabam.

how the hell could you ever claim gaming expenses as a tax write off?
    unless you have something such as a youtube channel running as a registered business rather than a hobby.
  • Options
    SDPSDP Posts: 1,622 ★★★★
    edited March 2019
    Either way, some people can play well, and others can’t. Spending a few bucks doesn’t make you a better player. I spend here and there for rank up materials and such, because I can afford it, and it is fun for me. I still farm and grind. Just did chapter one of Variant with roughly 500 units. So, I can actually play a little too. 🙂 Ultimately, I don’t care at all what other people do as far as this is concerned. I just play my account.
  • Options
    Arbiter2426Arbiter2426 Posts: 346
    F2P
    I'm a mixture but I only ever spend like 10 bucks on the game about every 3-4 months so I consider myself f2p
  • Options
    G0311G0311 Posts: 913 ★★★
    no such thing as PTW, if you dont have skills then doesn't matter how much money you have, also the RNG makes it so that you could drop 6k$ on FGMCs and still only get a 5* Iron Patriot. See some of COWs videos where he's drop 6k or more to get the featured. Also real life isn't FTP , you want something nice work hard and pay for it. Or you could be like contest champ and grind hours of arena to 40mil, but remember time is money. So one way or another your gonna pay lol
  • Options
    ChadhoganChadhogan Posts: 460 ★★★
    F2P
    Ftp now but I spent in the early days pre 12.0 but I'm happy the whales are keeping the crystal chandeliers on in the kabam mansion lol
  • Options
    cx23433cx23433 Posts: 465 ★★
    both
  • Options
    Furion17Furion17 Posts: 267
    Tell yourself that you will strictly stick to f2p but take opportunity and buy good offers whenever needed.
  • Options
    Brew_SwayneBrew_Swayne Posts: 500 ★★
    F2P
    I'm technically not f2p, but I've only spent about $150 on this game over 3+ years, so I'm way closer to being f2p than p2w.
  • Options
    Ctleath_013Ctleath_013 Posts: 416 ★★
    F2P
    I just started a new account, but my old account was also f2p.
  • Options
    Denzel116Denzel116 Posts: 537 ★★★
    F2P
    I’m like a regular person....pretty cheap and tight with my financials, until the holidays where I spend ridiculous amounts of money for something I end up not using.

In MCOC, same. Spent a lot of money for this 6 star collecting dust.
  • Options
    DonkillaDonkilla Posts: 161
    edited March 2019
    P2W
    Unfortunetly i paid, i had 8k 6* shards and then a offer came up 2000 6* shards for 1.5k units, i did the maths and thought thats cheap so i bought that £28.99 unit stash,
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 8,005 ★★★★★
    F2P
    100% F2P. Haven't spend a single dime on the game. But I will admit some IAPs caught my interest I resisted it since I don't want to spend money on a mobile game. Some of the offers have been pretty good tho lately.