veterans bracket reality

Well, today intermediate bracket ended. What usually nets me a top 100 finish in four star featured arena got me top 60-100% so the honeymoon period is over and reality has set in. I work as a healthcare professional that just doesn't have the time to invest to keep getting at least above top 60%. I'm sure this is the dilemma many of you faced coming into the veterans bracket. I am grateful for being in the beginner and intermediate bracket to help get my account on a more level playing field with those who have been playing awhile. With all of that in mind though, I feel a bit dissapointed that I can't reap those benefits now. Which brings me to my question, what keeps you playing the game post-intermediate bracket? What is your source of enjoyment in contest of champions? Hoping to see some friendly responces from people in similar positions. Thanks in advance!

Comments

  • Frivolousz21Frivolousz21 Posts: 411 ★★
    99 percent of new players don't even know there is different brackets.

    There is accomplishment in building up a roster and growing through grinding.

    There is also

    Alliance Quest
    Alliance War
    Story quest
    Event quest
    Special quests
    Celebrity challenges
    Dungeons



    Honestly the arena causes summoners to have their skill set delayed in growth.



  • SwansongSwansong Posts: 40
    Arondight said:

    Well, today intermediate bracket ended. What usually nets me a top 100 finish in four star featured arena got me top 60-100% so the honeymoon period is over and reality has set in. I work as a healthcare professional that just doesn't have the time to invest to keep getting at least above top 60%. I'm sure this is the dilemma many of you faced coming into the veterans bracket. I am grateful for being in the beginner and intermediate bracket to help get my account on a more level playing field with those who have been playing awhile. With all of that in mind though, I feel a bit dissapointed that I can't reap those benefits now. Which brings me to my question, what keeps you playing the game post-intermediate bracket? What is your source of enjoyment in contest of champions? Hoping to see some friendly responces from people in similar positions. Thanks in advance!

    Just do what you can when you can, don’t take it too seriously and enjoy the game at your own pace . Remember it’s just a game and there is a real world full of different experiences to enjoy. You’ll be a long time dead and it won’t matter how many 5 / 6 *s you have. Cheers
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 11,002 Guardian
    Arondight said:

    Which brings me to my question, what keeps you playing the game post-intermediate bracket? What is your source of enjoyment in contest of champions? Hoping to see some friendly responces from people in similar positions. Thanks in advance!

    Everyone's going to have a different answer to this one. For me, the interesting element to the game is seeing what I can accomplish with the time and money I'm willing to put into the game. It might be more than you, but it is finite nonetheless. More importantly, the interest comes from being able to ratchet that upward over time. There was a time when I couldn't get the 3* featured to save my life. Then I could. I couldn't reach the 4* basic cutoff (this is the old arenas, not the current ones), then I could. Then I could reach the 4* featured cutoff, if I really pushed extra hard. Then the arenas changed and I could just barely make it to the 10% cutoff in the featured 5* if I pushed extra hard and focused on that only. Then I could make it more easily. Then I could do that and catch some milestones in other arenas.

    Over time, what's important to me is I can do more today than yesterday. The pace of that is less important than the fact that I do in fact progress, and I can do so at my own pace within my own limits. Basically, I'm in it for the long haul, and I play because I want to see where the long haul leads. And I'm willing to be much faster than some, and much slower than others, and its all fine.
  • ArondightArondight Posts: 125
    DNA3000 said:

    Arondight said:

    Which brings me to my question, what keeps you playing the game post-intermediate bracket? What is your source of enjoyment in contest of champions? Hoping to see some friendly responces from people in similar positions. Thanks in advance!

    Everyone's going to have a different answer to this one. For me, the interesting element to the game is seeing what I can accomplish with the time and money I'm willing to put into the game. It might be more than you, but it is finite nonetheless. More importantly, the interest comes from being able to ratchet that upward over time. There was a time when I couldn't get the 3* featured to save my life. Then I could. I couldn't reach the 4* basic cutoff (this is the old arenas, not the current ones), then I could. Then I could reach the 4* featured cutoff, if I really pushed extra hard. Then the arenas changed and I could just barely make it to the 10% cutoff in the featured 5* if I pushed extra hard and focused on that only. Then I could make it more easily. Then I could do that and catch some milestones in other arenas.

    Over time, what's important to me is I can do more today than yesterday. The pace of that is less important than the fact that I do in fact progress, and I can do so at my own pace within my own limits. Basically, I'm in it for the long haul, and I play because I want to see where the long haul leads. And I'm willing to be much faster than some, and much slower than others, and its all fine.
    I am in it for the long haul as well, I will probably progress slower than those that have more leisure time. But thats okay.
  • ArondightArondight Posts: 125
    DNA3000 said:

    Arondight said:

    Which brings me to my question, what keeps you playing the game post-intermediate bracket? What is your source of enjoyment in contest of champions? Hoping to see some friendly responces from people in similar positions. Thanks in advance!

    Everyone's going to have a different answer to this one. For me, the interesting element to the game is seeing what I can accomplish with the time and money I'm willing to put into the game. It might be more than you, but it is finite nonetheless. More importantly, the interest comes from being able to ratchet that upward over time. There was a time when I couldn't get the 3* featured to save my life. Then I could. I couldn't reach the 4* basic cutoff (this is the old arenas, not the current ones), then I could. Then I could reach the 4* featured cutoff, if I really pushed extra hard. Then the arenas changed and I could just barely make it to the 10% cutoff in the featured 5* if I pushed extra hard and focused on that only. Then I could make it more easily. Then I could do that and catch some milestones in other arenas.

    Over time, what's important to me is I can do more today than yesterday. The pace of that is less important than the fact that I do in fact progress, and I can do so at my own pace within my own limits. Basically, I'm in it for the long haul, and I play because I want to see where the long haul leads. And I'm willing to be much faster than some, and much slower than others, and its all fine.
    I am in it for the long haul as well, I will probably progress slower than those that have more leisure time. But thats okay.
    Swansong said:

    Arondight said:

    Well, today intermediate bracket ended. What usually nets me a top 100 finish in four star featured arena got me top 60-100% so the honeymoon period is over and reality has set in. I work as a healthcare professional that just doesn't have the time to invest to keep getting at least above top 60%. I'm sure this is the dilemma many of you faced coming into the veterans bracket. I am grateful for being in the beginner and intermediate bracket to help get my account on a more level playing field with those who have been playing awhile. With all of that in mind though, I feel a bit dissapointed that I can't reap those benefits now. Which brings me to my question, what keeps you playing the game post-intermediate bracket? What is your source of enjoyment in contest of champions? Hoping to see some friendly responces from people in similar positions. Thanks in advance!

    Just do what you can when you can, don’t take it too seriously and enjoy the game at your own pace . Remember it’s just a game and there is a real world full of different experiences to enjoy. You’ll be a long time dead and it won’t matter how many 5 / 6 *s you have. Cheers
    Right on 😺
  • ArondightArondight Posts: 125

    99 percent of new players don't even know there is different brackets.

    There is accomplishment in building up a roster and growing through grinding.

    There is also

    Alliance Quest
    Alliance War
    Story quest
    Event quest
    Special quests
    Celebrity challenges
    Dungeons



    Honestly the arena causes summoners to have their skill set delayed in growth.



    Celebrity challenges?
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 11,002 Guardian
    Arondight said:

    99 percent of new players don't even know there is different brackets.

    There is accomplishment in building up a roster and growing through grinding.

    There is also

    Alliance Quest
    Alliance War
    Story quest
    Event quest
    Special quests
    Celebrity challenges
    Dungeons



    Honestly the arena causes summoners to have their skill set delayed in growth.



    Celebrity challenges?
    The game has special events periodically (and more than in the past). Right now, there's the Nick Fury event going on. Sometimes in connection with some cross marketing thing with Marvel the game will have an event tied to a Marvel actor or character who does some promotion for it. The first one was the Phil Coulson event (character), and then I think it was the Ming-na one (actor). So sometimes they are connected to characters, and sometimes to actual actors who play characters in the Marvel universe. The actor related ones are sometimes referred to as celebrity challenges.
Sign In or Register to comment.