**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

What a great war season (9)

GreywardenGreywarden Posts: 843 ★★★★
This will probably get closed but don't you think seeing groups in masters with r4's and unduped 6*s in their profile is a pretty good sign that match making is WAY off this season?

Comments

• GreywardenGreywarden Posts: 843 ★★★★

Tanking or not, it's pretty hard to get to tier 1 and stay there if you have guys with only 3 r5s. If they were playing other master groups they'd have fallen off by now. Seems pretty clear that the matchmaking this season created a lot of absurd results.

totally, they were all winning and gaining +10 every war on average so every single war for some of these groups for the last 2 seasons has been incredibly lopsided in terms of rating matchups. Doing this solely by prestige (which is what is going on now) is not the right way to go about this fairly unless you tweak it.
  • QuikPikQuikPik Posts: 799 ★★★★
    edited May 2019
    13 million alliance finished 190 in Plat 3. Maybe 10 R5 in the entire alliance and 5 people below level 60.

3 million alliance finished 41 in Gold 2.

If I was MNG, NY, or ISO8A, I'd be raising holy hell with Kabam right now.

Nothing wrong here...
  • Panchulon21Panchulon21 Posts: 2,605 ★★★★★
    Lol we won our last 3 wars. We were number 2 in gold 1, and dropped to like 60 in gold 1 after winning 3 wars to finish the season. Nothing wrong there 😂🤷🏽‍♂️
  • Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★
    I think it’s partly because the top alliances are just doing map 7 rather than wars, aq rewards are better than aw and less stressful
  • danielmathdanielmath Posts: 4,041 ★★★★★
    Lvernon15 said:

I think it’s partly because the top alliances are just doing map 7 rather than wars, aq rewards are better than aw and less stressful

yup, we don't even clear the map in 4loki
  • QuikPikQuikPik Posts: 799 ★★★★
    You have a lot of lower alliances with inflated war ratings now. In order to fix this Kabam is going to change their algorithm to look at war rating first and then +/- 2000 prestige until things normalize.

We've seen that looking at prestige first and then searching down the list for next closest in prestige doesn't work.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,866 ★★★★★

Maybe their tier was higher so they gained more points instead of alliances who tanked off season? Just a thought, not accusing you

Nothing to do with tanking (although it was because of tanking that we have this new system) and all to do with the match making algorithm only matching groups of similar prestige. There are groups that got to Tier 1 by trampling over nothing but gold level alliances.
    Tanking has nothing to do with the new system. Fixing matches by the top alliances is why we have this new system. They cant plan on when to match anymore to avoid playing each other.
  • Markjv81Markjv81 Posts: 1,003 ★★★★
    Have never seen such huge differences in +/- this consistently in the previous 8 seasons, our last 3 wars were +76, +96 & -99.
  • xNigxNig Posts: 7,221 ★★★★★
    AQ focused alliance I guess?

Mine was pretty fairly matched, although we did match Ny and subsequently later on, 3 alliances that were either docked or suspected cheating. 😭
    xNig said:

Mine was pretty fairly matched, although we did match Ny and subsequently later on, 3 alliances that were either docked or suspected cheating. 😭

Yes we’re AQ focused, as we were last season, still seems highly unusual to get such big differences in war ratings. Last 6 matches were 68,190,200,100, 36,32, previous season have never seen more than 20-30 at an extreme.

At our prestige level, 8830, you think there would be enough alliances to get closer rating matches.
  • xNigxNig Posts: 7,221 ★★★★★
    Markjv81 said:

xNig said:

Yes we’re AQ focused, as we were last season, still seems highly unusual to get such big differences in war ratings. Last 6 matches were 68,190,200,100, 36,32, previous season have never seen more than 20-30 at an extreme.

At our prestige level, 8830, you think there would be enough alliances to get closer rating matches.
    Hm... 8830 isn’t too high. Could it be the war ratings are pretty low at around 1.5-1.6k?

My alliance prestige is around 9300 and we’ve had relatively fair matches all around.
    xNig said:

Markjv81 said:

xNig said:

Hm... 8830 isn’t too high. Could it be the war ratings are pretty low at around 1.5-1.6k?

My alliance prestige is around 9300 and we’ve had relatively fair matches all around.
    That’s what I’m saying, our prestige isn’t high enough to get such large discrepancies in rating. Current rating is 2052, think we started the season about 2200.
    Drooped2 said:

xNig said:

Markjv81 said:

xNig said:

Day 1 8320 prestige
    war rating as of today 2014
    Allaince rating 21m

Made no.real sense why qe only had plus 78s

Ranked 1090 gold 1
    One allaince we faced is currently in plat 2
    Yeah that’s hard to fathom.

The alliance that we matched in the 10th war of the season was rated 1779, they won and got +117 bringing them to 1896, 2 wars later and they are now 2100, that’s +321 points in 3 wars! Unheard of.
  • TacoScottyTacoScotty Posts: 407 ★★
    Given MNG had two byes and the top war rating team is never supposed to get a bye, I hope they realize whatever tinkering they did with match matching last season (e.g. prestige weight or whatever) caused all sorts of issues. Way too many 30/70 or worse matchups across many tiers, teams finishing in master who most likely never faced the big dog alliances despite similar war ratings etc. When they started this one queue for wars I was really looking forward to seeing master and platinums to be constant battles with similar quality alliances and move away from dodging tougher foes. Seems new way to dodge is not war rating but rather prestige or other metrics which should not be given any significant weight, if any at all.

Alliance wars is supposed to be skill based. Yes top alliances have bigger rosters which give them an edge but a highly skilled alliance can overcome that. Kabam allowing lower prestige alliances to skate into master / platinum Defeats this concept. They effectively made a veteran / intermediate / beginner brackets as subsets to existing war rating brackets and are slicing the different rank rewards between them versus having different pools like arena
  • SummonerNRSummonerNR Posts: 10,420 Guardian
    In case anyone missed it (up in the Sticky section), Kabam was very forthcoming about the problem with the 2 bye's for MNG, and what course of action they took in determining Season Rankings...

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/141218/regarding-placements-and-mng-alliance-wars-season-9#latest

To recap, sounds like they ignored those 2 “bye” Win wars, and compared their score in the other 10 real wars against everyone else's 10 wars during those same days.
    Not sure that means that for purposes of determining Rank position against other alliances, if those same 2 wars (was it the 1st 2 wars ?) were not counted as well (just for comparing versus MNG).
    Seems like they should have just extrapolated MNG's 10 real wars up to a 12-War basis by multiplying by 1.2 (or maybe that's what they did, just didn’t describe it as such ?)

And that the 4th place Rank position of MNG, based on above, also does not affect the real 12-War 4th place alliance (or others below that). So that the real 4th, 5th, 6th, etc, etc place teams still got those position rewards, they just gave out a 4th place (extrapolated) position for MNG as well (without affecting other alliance's positions).