Options

Skipped "LEVEL UP" Event?!?!

Comments

• Options
    DPXFistheGOATDPXFistheGOAT Posts: 727 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

It has arrived. So now the theory will be that if ppl complain loud enough, the randomness will be “tweaked” to make the event happen 😀
    and the Earth is flat

We dont know how Kabam's algorithm actually works. A guy who buys 1 million lottery tickets has a far greater chance of winning that a guy who buys 1. Obviously this is an exaggeration but you get the point; which is adding more elements/values to an set/array can increase that array's chance of being selected.
    That's possible (that's the standard way for reward tables to be weighted), but what would the motive be? Just because some players want it to come around more often, doesn't mean everyone does. For every player that wants it to come up more often there's probably a player that wishes it came up less often, so they have a better chance to get all the milestones. Not every player constantly has lots of stuff to level up. Not all that long ago (and before peak milestones) on the alliance event side there were alliances tactically withholding level up to do it every other week to guarantee achieving the rank rewards. That could certainly be happening on the single player side of the events as well.

if some players want it more often and others less often, there doesn't seem to be a good motive for skewing the results one way or the other.
    Event Quests are the hardest to complete and usually requires units. Something like Level Up would be easier to complete plus it helps progress your account. That would incentivize players to buy units.
    That's not really logical. There's a maximum amount of event quest points you can realistically earn without doing crazy things, so you can't really pressure a significant number of players to burn units just to score high on event quest events.

Furthermore, if that was Kabam's goal then having the events come up randomly would be the worst thing to do because even if the events are weighted, the actual sequence that occurs will almost always be suboptimal for what they are trying to do. If they are trying to make event quest come up twice as often as level up (for example) then while that will happen on average over long periods of time, over the short run randomness will pretty much guarantee that will almost never actually happen. Some months the ratio will be much higher and some months much lower, and in both cases that would be either too much or too little to generate the unit buying pressure you're suggesting is the goal.

Across the playerbase if this can work at all there's a sweet spot ratio, and randomness guarantees that you'll almost never actually hit it. You'll always be surrounding it, but almost never hitting the actual bullseye.
    Some people have expendable income and would be willing to shell out cash to complete Event Quests. Same with refreshing for Arena Wins. So targetting these people, who don't mind extra spending units/money to get some rewards, does seem logical to me. Especially since Level Up popping up more often would both help progress accounts faster AND doesnt necessarily require more units. This is primarily because energy refills cots units which are harder to get than Iso-8 or catalysts (regardless of progession). So I don't really see how that would hurt them. At the very least, they would make the same amount.

As for short term results, I don't get how it could even fluctuate so much that it would offset the benefits. In fact, even though randomness would prevent the exact "sweet spot" from occurring too often, it wouldnt hurt to have a "sweet range" instead...where the ratio would be high enough that short term results are usually geared towards EQ, but low enough so that people stop buying units.

As for all the events being equally likely to occur...i think it would make hitting the "sweet spot" or even landing in the "sweet range" even harder as they have no control whatsoever
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Drooped2 said:

Drooped2 said:

Agreed on alot of the points.
    It's easy code really just seed building basic lvl programmer stuff.

But what gain does kabam get? What motivation do they have I get arena and hero use everytime it's up I honestly don't get level up everytime cause I have less champs left to rank.

Eq ehh first maybe 2 times each month I'll get the units

* Most players don't have a stash of energy potions --> energy potions can be bought for 30 units --> you can purchase units with money --> happy Kabam

* Level up doesnt require units --> players dont need to spend money on units or iso --> sad Kabam
    I csnt think of a single player I know who's like hey I can get 25 units and a revive(40units)
    I better better spend units to get that

Sorry but if you have that little thought in your head to see the value lost to the value gained then there no helping you
    Exactly how many players, casual, hardcore, or inbetween, have you met? Because your personal anecdote means nothing to a level 25 player struggling to progress in MCOC as maintaining their giant salary is too time consuming....and it's nothing just like that $4.99 they could spend on units.

And lastly, how are you so confident youre correct? Unless you work for Kabam you know just as much as we do
  • Options
    Drooped2 said:

Drooped2 said:

Drooped2 said:

Agreed on alot of the points.
    It's easy code really just seed building basic lvl programmer stuff.

But what gain does kabam get? What motivation do they have I get arena and hero use everytime it's up I honestly don't get level up everytime cause I have less champs left to rank.

Eq ehh first maybe 2 times each month I'll get the units

* Most players don't have a stash of energy potions --> energy potions can be bought for 30 units --> you can purchase units with money --> happy Kabam

* Level up doesnt require units --> players dont need to spend money on units or iso --> sad Kabam
    I csnt think of a single player I know who's like hey I can get 25 units and a revive(40units)
    I better better spend units to get that

Sorry but if you have that little thought in your head to see the value lost to the value gained then there no helping you
    Exactly how many players, casual, hardcore, or inbetween, have you met? Because your personal anecdote means nothing to a level 25 player struggling to progress in MCOC as maintaining their giant salary is too time consuming....and it's nothing just like that $4.99 they could spend on units.

And lastly, how are you so confident youre correct? Unless you work for Kabam you know just as much as we do
    Again if someone thinks spend 135 units to get back the rough value of 65 I dont know what to tell them.

Your thoughts on their spending habits is irrelevant. It's all about whether or not those players spend. Not everyone values those rewards at "roughly 65 units". Im sure theres people out there that would pay for units just to finish quests...so why not just pay for units when EQ comes up?
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,280 ★★★★★
    Okay, this is just spinning off into "How can you prove the CIA isn't watching you?".
    There's literally no reason for them to be deceptive or dishonest about Events. They themselves have designed them so we can do them to earn said Resources. They're not picking and choosing the randomizer. Quite frankly, it makes no difference to them if we run Level-Up, or Event Quest. It's there for us to do, when it comes around. There's no big conspiracy. It's not on a set schedule. It's randomized in the same fashion I outlined. I'm sorry, but I don't need to see their code for the same reason I don't need to see Oxygen Molecules to know they exist.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,762 Guardian

DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

It has arrived. So now the theory will be that if ppl complain loud enough, the randomness will be “tweaked” to make the event happen 😀
    and the Earth is flat

We dont know how Kabam's algorithm actually works. A guy who buys 1 million lottery tickets has a far greater chance of winning that a guy who buys 1. Obviously this is an exaggeration but you get the point; which is adding more elements/values to an set/array can increase that array's chance of being selected.
    That's possible (that's the standard way for reward tables to be weighted), but what would the motive be? Just because some players want it to come around more often, doesn't mean everyone does. For every player that wants it to come up more often there's probably a player that wishes it came up less often, so they have a better chance to get all the milestones. Not every player constantly has lots of stuff to level up. Not all that long ago (and before peak milestones) on the alliance event side there were alliances tactically withholding level up to do it every other week to guarantee achieving the rank rewards. That could certainly be happening on the single player side of the events as well.

if some players want it more often and others less often, there doesn't seem to be a good motive for skewing the results one way or the other.
    Event Quests are the hardest to complete and usually requires units. Something like Level Up would be easier to complete plus it helps progress your account. That would incentivize players to buy units.
    That's not really logical. There's a maximum amount of event quest points you can realistically earn without doing crazy things, so you can't really pressure a significant number of players to burn units just to score high on event quest events.

Furthermore, if that was Kabam's goal then having the events come up randomly would be the worst thing to do because even if the events are weighted, the actual sequence that occurs will almost always be suboptimal for what they are trying to do. If they are trying to make event quest come up twice as often as level up (for example) then while that will happen on average over long periods of time, over the short run randomness will pretty much guarantee that will almost never actually happen. Some months the ratio will be much higher and some months much lower, and in both cases that would be either too much or too little to generate the unit buying pressure you're suggesting is the goal.

Across the playerbase if this can work at all there's a sweet spot ratio, and randomness guarantees that you'll almost never actually hit it. You'll always be surrounding it, but almost never hitting the actual bullseye.
    Some people have expendable income and would be willing to shell out cash to complete Event Quests. Same with refreshing for Arena Wins. So targetting these people, who don't mind extra spending units/money to get some rewards, does seem logical to me. Especially since Level Up popping up more often would both help progress accounts faster AND doesnt necessarily require more units. This is primarily because energy refills cots units which are harder to get than Iso-8 or catalysts (regardless of progession). So I don't really see how that would hurt them. At the very least, they would make the same amount.
    Actually, that's not true "regardless of progression" because the bottleneck for making milestones in the level up event isn't always lack of level up resources but rather lack of champions to level up. True: there's generally always something to level up but it is often much easier to get a new champion than farm the resources to level up past a certain rank. I would say it is just as likely if not more likely that frequent level up would incentivize players to buy more champion crystals to get easy level up champs than it would buying energy refills to complete content you might not otherwise even do just for milestone progress (i.e. lower difficulty maps or the daily events).
  • Options
    DjkrdjjDjkrdjj Posts: 444 ★★
    edited July 2019

Okay, this is just spinning off into "How can you prove the CIA isn't watching you?".
    There's literally no reason for them to be deceptive or dishonest about Events. They themselves have designed them so we can do them to earn said Resources. They're not picking and choosing the randomizer. Quite frankly, it makes no difference to them if we run Level-Up, or Event Quest. It's there for us to do, when it comes around. There's no big conspiracy. It's not on a set schedule. It's randomized in the same fashion I outlined. I'm sorry, but I don't need to see their code for the same reason I don't need to see Oxygen Molecules to know they exist.

There’s no reason for them not to be deceptive.
    🤔
    Lol
  • Options
    Djkrdjj said:

🤔
    I'm not arguing conspiracy semantics.
  • Options
    DjkrdjjDjkrdjj Posts: 444 ★★
    edited July 2019

Djkrdjj said:

🤔
    I'm not arguing conspiracy semantics.
    Do I want me to add lol so u can tell that it is a joke?
    It’s a joke
    Maybe a really crappy, 3 year old joke, but still a joke
  • Options
    Ah. Ok. Thought you were serious. Lol.
  • Options

That's a strawman argument. I can do the same thing: "There's literally no reason for Kabam to be honest. I always see companies as shady as an Oak tree on a summer day so of course Kabam would lie"

Also, no one is saying it's on a set schedule. I'm saying they can easily fix their system so some outcomes are slightly favored. The benefits for having Event Quest appear even, say 8 times/month as opposed to Level Up appearing 6 times/month on average, even if minute, is still there. And at what cost? Virtually nothing. So there is a logical reason, but instead you want to Strawman counterarguments and insist you know so much more than everyone else
  • Options
    You're literally starting a Strawman. I'm countering it with logic based on the facts presented, and comments from them, which for all intents and purposes, are facts on this Forum. I'm really kind of over it because the conversation just breeds suspicion.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

You're literally starting a Strawman. I'm countering it with logic based on the facts presented, and comments from them, which for all intents and purposes, are facts on this Forum. I'm really kind of over it because the conversation just breeds suspicion.

What facts exactly? Youve offered no statistics. You have offered no insight as to how anything can be programmed. You have offered no reasoning behind why Kabam would or wouldnt do this. No mention of any costs, benefits, or ANYTHING. Of all the people arguing here, youve offered the least amount. At least DNA and Drooped made actual, substantial arguments
  • Options
    The facts are their comments. "Do you work for Kabam?". They do. They've stated themselves the exact same thing I'm stating, and you're still arguing for facts. There's holes in your fallacy all over, and I suspect you're just trying to create suspicion. So I'm out.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

The facts are their comments. "Do you work for Kabam?". They do. They've stated themselves the exact same thing I'm stating, and you're still arguing for facts. There's holes in your fallacy all over, and I suspect you're just trying to create suspicion. So I'm out.

You havent stated anything lol. Ive read your comments and all said is:

"They're not picking and choosing the randomizer."

Obviously you dont understand the difference between "picking and choosing the randomizer" and "some outcomes are slightly favored". So, how could you even provide facts?

And of course you won't argue semantics. You dont understand how they work...
  • Options
    I gave you the explanation they've given verbatim for years. Since the Events began, that's the explanation given for how they operate. It removes the last selection and chooses randomly among the remaining ones. You're the one adding holes where there are none.
  • Options
    TwmRTwmR Posts: 662 ★★★

What facts exactly? Youve offered no statistics. You have offered no insight as to how anything can be programmed. You have offered no reasoning behind why Kabam would or wouldnt do this. No mention of any costs, benefits, or ANYTHING. Of all the people arguing here, youve offered the least amount. At least DNA and Drooped made actual, substantial arguments
    And where are your facts and statistics?
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

and the Earth is flat

Actually, that's not true "regardless of progression" because the bottleneck for making milestones in the level up event isn't always lack of level up resources but rather lack of champions to level up. True: there's generally always something to level up but it is often much easier to get a new champion than farm the resources to level up past a certain rank. I would say it is just as likely if not more likely that frequent level up would incentivize players to buy more champion crystals to get easy level up champs than it would buying energy refills to complete content you might not otherwise even do just for milestone progress (i.e. lower difficulty maps or the daily events).
    How would you have lack of champs to level up? It takes forever to get even just one to max level. Or do you mean there are points where its so much easier to get a new champ than to get resources that most would rather go for new champs? I honestly cant remember that bc i always felt like im flooded with R1 champs, but thats not really something I'd be confident arguing for (i have a human memory) so I'll take your word.

Lastly, theres also demographics and who Kabam is targetting. If I were to guess, big spenders tend to be higher level players with mountains of expiring Iso, tonnes of incomplete quests, and only 70 energy per day
  • Options

I gave you the explanation they've given verbatim for years. Since the Events began, that's the explanation given for how they operate. It removes the last selection and chooses randomly among the remaining ones. You're the one adding holes where there are none.

You know what else is random? PHC drop rates. But youre getting 2*s more often. Again, you dont understand that it is still technically random despite having 2*s being more likely.
  • Options

You know what else is random? PHC drop rates. But youre getting 2*s more often. Again, you dont understand that it is still technically random despite having 2*s being more likely.
    Is this the part where you use one fallacy to support another?
  • Options
    TwmR said:

I have already made it crystal clear that:

* The benefits, even if minute, outweigh the virtually non-existent cost

* No argument can be dismissed as Kabam has not shown their code

* The method is possible while giving numerous analogies

* Unless Kabam is using extremely one-sided ratios (which I did NOT say claim), the method would still be considered "random" as assigning extra values to certain events does not negate the Random Number Generator (RNG).

* People value units and rewards differently, with income being an obvious factor in their decision

Go ahead and refute these
  • Options
    TwmRTwmR Posts: 662 ★★★

TwmR said:

* Unless Kabam is using extremely one-sided ratios (which I did NOT say claim), the method would still be considered "random" as assigning extra values to certain events does not negate the Random Number Generator (RNG).

* People value units and rewards differently, with income being an obvious factor in their decision

Yes it's possible for them to not be evenly weighted in the RNG but you still have provided no facts or statistics to back up your claims that they're not
  • Options

Is this the part where you use one fallacy to support another?
    You keep saying fallacy like you've actually refuted anything. At this point, you're side-stepping arguments and pretending to sound smarter than you actually are to make up for your lack of arguments.

Also, i already told you, RANDOM DOESNT MEAN ALL OUTCOMES ARE EQUALLY LIKELY. Quit sidestepping this point
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    TwmR said:

TwmR said:

Yes it's possible for them to not be evenly weighted in the RNG but you still have provided no facts or statistics to back up your claims that they're not
    "No argument can be dismissed as Kabam has not shown their code"

Not once did I say "I am 100% correct". The argument is whether or it is a feasible system. Notice I never actually stated that I believe this to be true or if im in favor of it
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,762 Guardian

Lastly, theres also demographics and who Kabam is targetting. If I were to guess, big spenders tend to be higher level players with mountains of expiring Iso, tonnes of incomplete quests, and only 70 energy per day

That demographic could not possibly be attracted to the rewards in the event quest completion event in significant enough numbers. I only participate at all because why not, but I'm not incentivized to go out of my way to spend to rank it. The demographic you're talking about has even less use for those rewards than I do. In fact the only reward really useful to me is the units, which only make sense to go for if I'm not actually spending units to get it.

I'm sure someone somewhere is spending to get rank 1 in that event, but Chucky the Madman isn't even a roundoff error on Kabam's financial report.
  • Options

TwmR said:

TwmR said:

"No argument can be dismissed as Kabam has not shown their code"

Not once did I say "I am 100% correct". The argument is whether or it is a feasible system. Notice I never actually stated that I believe this to be true or if im in favor of it
    Question. If you saw the code, would that end the line of questioning, or would that open up the possibility they never showed the right one/whole thing? Honest answer.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    DNA3000 said:

That demographic could not possibly be attracted to the rewards in the event quest completion event in significant enough numbers. I only participate at all because why not, but I'm not incentivized to go out of my way to spend to rank it. The demographic you're talking about has even less use for those rewards than I do. In fact the only reward really useful to me is the units, which only make sense to go for if I'm not actually spending units to get it.

I'm sure someone somewhere is spending to get rank 1 in that event, but Chucky the Madman isn't even a roundoff error on Kabam's financial report.
    That's the thing I was discussing earlier with someone else actually. The costs for making EQ slightly more common shouldnt be much had they already laid the groundwork that would allow for quick changes in the solo event "randomizing process". So the incentive, while small, shouldnt hurt their sales unless they make Event Quest too prevalent. Again, I still dont see why Kabam wouldnt do something thats low-risk

Additionally, not everyone thinks in terms of units. Some dont mind spending money on energy refills and would buy units anyways. So why not get the additional milestones?