**UPDATE - iPAD STUCK FLICKERING SCREEN**
The 47.0.1 hotfix to address the issue of freezing & flashing lights on loading screens when trying to enter a fight, along with other smaller issues, is now ready to be downloaded through the App Store on IOS.
More information here.

FIRST EVER BASTION

MCOC TeamMCOC Team Administrator, Admin [en] Posts: 576
edited October 10 in General Discussion
What Is Going On Summoners!

The first Realm Event has come to a close, and with it, we have our first-ever BASTION Summoner out in the Battlerealm.
A huge congratulations to Vern from GT40 for opening 183,602 Crystals... that's (checks notes)... a lot.

Comments

• Ayden_noah1Ayden_noah1 Member Posts: 1,755 ★★★★
    That is an impressive amount of crystals to hoard. It's like Vem never open any crystals from day one. Congrats.
  • AaronPyeAaronPye Member Posts: 1
    Honestly though 183,602 that number for amount of crystal opened is insane
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,497 Guardian
    Incidentally, because we know that a player scored exactly 100,001 points, we know that the number of players in the 100k+ club was nine (assuming he didn't open a ton more which I don't think he did, and assuming no one opened exactly 100k and stopped).

Here they are:

(Brian is an honorary member, having omeleted the playerbase to one billion)
  • captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 8,484 ★★★★★
    Will the bastion title also comes with a unique tag like legen, mythic and content creator titles? Which colour? I assume it's dark blue
  • JESUSCHRISTJESUSCHRIST Member Posts: 59

I got rank 1,257
  • fitenitefitenite Member Posts: 22
    edited October 10
    So the BIG question; Where did the goal for 1BEEEEEELLION (Pinky to mouth) points come from? Was it just an arbitrary number? And did Kabam auto pop any crystals? If so, how many?
  • kus234kus234 Member Posts: 279 ★★
    Shouldn't they be fined for hoarding so many? What's the point.. slows the server..slows the game and is illogical?

• victor158victor158 Member Posts: 115 ★★
    kus234 said:

Shouldn't they be fined for hoarding so many? What's the point.. slows the server..slows the game and is illogical?

im assumming 90% of the crystals were the solo 1k ones, the shards are completely useless now and i dont think anyone usually bothers to open them. blame kabam or the ccp for continuing to give so many of these shards that they themselves have said wont ever be changed and are a deprecated currency for end game players.
  • SmugglinplumsSmugglinplums Member Posts: 50
    Congrats to Vern! I can’t imagine how much time was spent opening that many crystals. But, it was definitely time well spent for that title especially being the first. Thanks to everyone else and their participation
    kus234 said:

Holding crystals does not slow the servers down. You're Yet Another Victim of MCOC telephone.

Kabam has done a couple of crystal purges to help the game. However, it isn't the purging of the crystals themselves that helps. It is the deleting of crystal types that helps.

Consider, say, a featured crystal from 2022. That crystal had artwork. It had descriptions. It had drop tables. All kinds of resources that had to be included in every copy of the game client everywhere. This made the game client bigger. And the game servers needed those resources as well, which meant every time the devs updated the servers copies of these resources had to be pushed to the servers, which slowed down the update process (which could happen dozens of times a day during development).

And then consider that every single game account, including the millions of game accounts ever created whether they are being played or not, have to track how many of that crystal each player has. Even though that number is basically zero for almost every player. It is like a spreadsheet where most of the cells are empty. This causes the back end databases to get larger, and thus also slower.

If they can delete that crystal from the game, the game would run faster, update faster, and be easier to maintain. But to delete the crystal, they have to make sure no one owns it first. So they force open all those crystals, then delete the crystal itself from the game data. This is the part that helps in the long run.

If they do this to a crystal no one can earn anymore, they can safely delete the crystal. But they can't do that for crystals people can still earn, like gold crystals, solo crystals, PHC crystals, arena boosts. No matter how many of those players own, the game can't purge the crystal, because people are still getting them. So purging those makes no sense: it doesn't help anything.

All of the hundreds of millions of crystals we opened during the event did not help the game itself one bit. That will come later, when the devs create their crystal purge list of crystals that will get forced open and then permanently deleted from the game.
  • VernVern Member Posts: 54
    Thank you @DNA3000 and my apologies that you didn't get what you were aiming for. I read your post about your strategy and it was similar to mine. I'm typing this on the go, so excuse my brevity. I'll probably try posting a video on @verngt40 with more details when I get the chance to this weekend but this was my strategy:

0. I've been hoarding here and there since I downloaded the game, and as I grew into larger alliances, there wasn't a need to open random crystals and I started hoarding full-time since 2019, because there wasn't a need to open them for the alliance. Since GT40 is a war-focused alliance, I opened stuff when we needed a chance to get a specific defender or attacker, and left the rest in the stash. I hoarded for my alliances basically, since I was the backup guy whenever Officers called for a rank-up and I'm more than happy to do so. Over the course of close to 7 years playing the game, I played by the Solo Event requirements, even if it meant hitting one or 2 milestones (especially when auto-play was enabled) and never missed an EQ difficulty. My screentime got significantly less when I joined Master-level alliances and I stopped grinding arenas as much because War was always our focus

1. No units were spent during he duration of this event (I presume you too, since no crystal was worth the returns - the only one that came closest was the Sunday arena crystal which was 10units a pop). Yes, I spend on the game but mainly during the 2 big events, and I partake in special events over the course of the year to help me alliance with bigger rank-ups. One thing about this event is that it was geared towards people who logged in and completed Event milestones, and of course hoarded them, rather than predominantly buying their way to crystals

2. My starting stash was as follows:

3. Solo Event crystals fuelled 1/3 of my points, and these were the crystals I opened first. This caused a huge framerate drop in my entire game as they started to expire, and I couldn't screen record anymore (loading times are still suffering right now as the stash clears up/selling unwanted items)

4. This was the order of my crystal opening strategy:
    4a: Convert all 60,000,000 shards into 1k Solo Event crystals
    4b: Max out every 2* champion
    4c: All Signature Stone crystals
    4d: Open existing fully-formed 2k Greater Solo crystals
    4e: Max out every 3* and 4* champion
    4f: Open existing fully-formed 10k Supreme Solo crystals
    4g: Try to max out every 5* champion (they're currently not all maxed out)
    4h: Gold Crystals, Max Sig crystals, 2k Battlechips and anything that didn't give out Champions next
    4i: PHCs, 3*s, 4*s, 5*s, 6*s and 7*s basics only
    4j: The final ones were the selectors and the Catalyst formation crystals - these were the most difficult because by this time my game was crashing repeatedly, but selectors guaranteed max sig crystals

5. Events: I calculated the score for each 22h event to get to 21-40%, and I religiously hit it in between opening crystals. For 7h events, I hit only to qualify for Ranked Rewards since that yielded the highest returns in terms of absolute number of crystals to open

6. I shielded myself from Advancement events by opening just the amount of crystals that needed to hit the 40,000 mark. I slipped up once and landed in 5 or 8th position but that at the tail-end of the event already. I'm in quite a few Line chats but I trusted my 29 other fellow GT40 alliance mates to keep my score a secret, which everyone was more than happy to

7. Arena: I simply did not have time to do it

8. Store trade-in for T4CC: yes I did that too

9. Some other strategies are fuzzy right now but I'll try to gather something more coherent in a video format

Final number of crystals opened
    183,602 crystals opened

Final alliance result

Final Cleansing result

Congrats to everyone who gave it a shot.
    Vern said:

3. Solo Event crystals fuelled 1/3 of my points, and these were the crystals I opened first. This caused a huge framerate drop in my entire game as they started to expire, and I couldn't screen record anymore (loading times are still suffering right now as the stash clears up/selling unwanted items)

You could always sell them before they expire.

I mean, who’d be crazy enough to do that. But still, you don’t get those odd stutters if you do.

So I’ve been told.
    DNA3000 said:

Vern said:

I mean, who’d be crazy enough to do that. But still, you don’t get those odd stutters if you do.

So I’ve been told.
    Yup, it contributed to your personal server being jammed because from what a friend I consulted, it constantly recalculated a bunch of resources each time you opened a crystal and added to the the inventory, which failed, which then added them to the stash, which added a countdown. But at that point my Item stash was at about 70,000, and unfortunately for that tab, there wasn't a +100 option unlike for ISOs nor time to manually click them.
  • peixemacacopeixemacaco Member Posts: 2,486 ★★★★
    Congrats to the 5 best ranked players, including our forum summoner, @DNA3000

To @BrianGrant for opening the eggs as I predicted 😎 and a lot of summoners against this great act of fellowship for the community wrote a lot of comments before and angry words about this, after he openned.

And to the 1st Bastion @Vern
    Vern said:

DNA3000 said:

Vern said:

So I’ve been told.
    Yup, it contributed to your personal server being jammed because from what a friend I consulted, it constantly recalculated a bunch of resources each time you opened a crystal and added to the the inventory, which failed, which then added them to the stash, which added a countdown. But at that point my Item stash was at about 70,000, and unfortunately for that tab, there wasn't a +100 option unlike for ISOs nor time to manually click them.
    You should see what happens when you happen to have 10,000 items in your stash all with precisely the same expiration. It really doesn't like that (although I don't think this can be replicated on the live production servers).

At the moment I have yet to allow any stash item to expire unsold so far, but whether I can sustain that throughout the rest of the build up, we'll see. I do have a long flight coming up with excellent internet service, and you can only grind so much arena.
    edited 3:34AM
    DNA3000 said:

Vern said:

DNA3000 said:

Vern said:

So I’ve been told.
    DNA3000 said:

Vern said:

DNA3000 said:

Vern said:

So I’ve been told.
    You should see what happens when you happen to have 10,000 items in your stash all with precisely the same expiration. It really doesn't like that (although I don't think this can be replicated on the live production servers).

At the moment I have yet to allow any stash item to expire unsold so far, but whether I can sustain that throughout the rest of the build up, we'll see. I do have a long flight coming up with excellent internet service, and you can only grind so much arena.
    Oh yeah I saw that in front of my eyes too. It gave me relief for like another 3h before the next batch ended. I may sell some bigger ticket ones like the 4* AG stones and 40/50% XP boosts, but for now...I'm just. I'm just.