Battleground Blitz Week Two: Points Are Accelerating

DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,603 Guardian
Tl;DR: We are on target to hit one billion points without Stark Foundation Donations

So where are we now?

If we project linearly:

About 1.2 billion. But of course, that's cheating a bit, because that includes the Stark Foundation donation of 100,000,000 points, obvious in the chart. This makes it seem like our point earning is accelerating upward faster than it actually is. What if we remove that donation, and just look at the player activity alone?

A bit over 900 million points. But wait, weren't we projected to hit 800 million last week? Yes, we were. Here's last week's projection superimposed on this week's projection:

Our current projection is higher, because our average points per day is increasing significantly. We can see that in our points per day for the first two weeks:

This also removes the points donation. Our average points per day is rising. It bounces up and down, and most of those bounces are aligned with BG milestone reset days. On those days activity is higher, and on alternating days it tends to be lower. But the overall trend is upward. We can also see this, to a similar degree, in the estimated hourly activity:

We can see in particular we used to bounce above and below one million points per hour, and now we're almost always above that rate. The big spike in the middle is not the Stark donation, by the way. It is due to the fact that for a few hours the realm scoring mechanism stalled. That's why it dropped unusually low around hour 192 and then bounced up very high as it caught up. If you want to see what the Stark Foundation donation looks like:

Yeah, that's impossible to mistake for anything else.

Our average point earning rates have increased overall by about 30% over the two weeks of the event. We cannot necessarily assume they will continue to rise at that rate, but there is every reason to believe they will continue to rise as participation generally increases in the second half of the BG season. There are also still Elder Marks in locked milestones that will continue to fuel a lot of activity in the short term, and continued increases in GC population which will increase average point earning per match by some amount. Conservatively, though, if we continue at even reduced rates of point acceleration, we should easily hit one billion points scored by the players by the end of the event. The Stark Foundation donations will just be gravy.

It is probably worth noting here why Kabam even decided to add those donations. They have a mountain of historical data I don't. They almost certainly could predict scoring better than I could, and almost certainly saw what these numbers would most likely look like. They appear to have selected one billion as a target we could and almost certainly would hit, and the additional milestones above as stretch goals for the circumstance where we did significantly more than predicted. So why add tons of points when they were not necessary?

The most logical reason is: sentiment. Left to our own devices, Kabam could predict our participation numbers would push us to one billion if we did what we normally do during boosted seasons. But what if negative sentiment started to take hold, as it did with Crystal Cleanse? Then players could enter a downward spiral where they decide to hold back for fear of wasting effort in a losing cause, causing the numbers to fall short, causing more people to decide the whole effort was doomed to fail. The points injections eliminate that possibility, or at least neutralize it. If players believe that getting to at least one billion is almost inevitable, then they are less likely to fall victim to negative sentiment.

This has some pros and cons. In the short term, it mitigates negative downward spirals. But it can also create a sense of entitlement, that players will think they deserve all the realm rewards no matter what they do, and thus there's no need to actually do anything. That's something to watch out for in future realm events.

Even I originally estimated our point earning potential incorrectly, for a number of reasons: underestimating historical participation rates for one, and not accounting for the large influx of elder marks in the realm milestones for another. But careful analysis of the data shows that the trend is our friend in Battlegrounds Blitz. If we fail to reach one billion points on our own it will be because the game experiences a week of downtime or something. Otherwise, we're on track to get there.

Comments

• captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 8,976 ★★★★★
    edited October 16
    How you create this graphs and data sheets? Using Excel or any other visualisation softwares?
  • Wolf911Wolf911 Member Posts: 498 ★★★

How you create this graphs and data sheets? Using Excel or any other visualisation softwares?

probably python matplotlib or seaborn

or some visualisation software

I think former makes more sense
  • Mik81Mik81 Member Posts: 101 ★★
    sense of entitlement

On that point, you still need to do 5000 points, which that should be the level of participation that Kabam is looking for an average player.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,603 Guardian
    Mik81 said:

sense of entitlement

On that point, you still need to do 5000 points, which that should be the level of participation that Kabam is looking for an average player.

Suppose that when the dust settles about 300k players participate. Some will of course only do a couple matches, but the average amount of points necessary to reach one billion would be about 3500.

I don’t think they intended the average player to max out all the milestones: that would be asking for a lot. Also, if the design intent was for the average player to score 5k points, that would imply an expected participation level of 200k players, which is much lower than the number we know participate in even an average season where nothing is going on.

One source of points I originally didn’t account for before the event started, because it didn’t exist before the event started, was the 50 point bonus for completing the “win one” objective that resets every two days. If a player tries to do at least that (which makes sense as it also has the bonus banquet stuff) that’s 700 points above the normal points for doing matches. That makes 5k much easier to reach, and also makes the 3500 target very easy to reach for a player just trying to burn off all the milestone marks.

If 300k players ultimately participate and half of them do those objectives as they reset, that’s a hundred million points just from those 50 point bonuses.
  • MizuriNicoleMizuriNicole Member Posts: 169 ★★
    Thank you
  • England73738England73738 Member Posts: 56
    I take it being a fairly new player (level 40 with only one champ over 10k rating) I’m not going to be able to benefit from this because I can’t play battlegrounds without getting matched against people with 30 20k+ champs?
  • JLordVileJJLordVileJ Member Posts: 3,862 ★★★★★

I take it being a fairly new player (level 40 with only one champ over 10k rating) I’m not going to be able to benefit from this because I can’t play battlegrounds without getting matched against people with 30 20k+ champs?

If you buy enough tokens you can just lose till you get 5k points. Not worth your units at your level though, push story
  • kvirrkvirr Member Posts: 251 ★★
    Good sir, very helpful info, thanks for your work.
  • BringPopcornBringPopcorn Member Posts: 4,959 ★★★★★
    edited October 17
    DNA3000 said:

Let me ask you this question. Do you believe you are the only level 40 player playing in Battlegrounds, and the rest of us are standing in line waiting to beat you?

If you're only matching against very strong players, it is because you've advanced faster than all the rest of the level 40s. That means you're better than all of them and should be matching against stronger players. But more likely, as has been demonstrated time and time again by players willing to post their match history, you aren't getting matched against only super strong players. You're getting matched against a variety of players that are commensurate with your current VT tier.

Stronger players move up. That leaves weaker players behind. That means every VT tier gets weaker as stronger players leave. Early in the season it is possible to *sometimes* run into very strong players because they just haven't played enough to promote yet. But as the season advances, those players leave, and lower progress players have a better opportunity to advance behind them.

Over 250k players play battlegrounds. Do you think this game has 250 thousands Valiant players? Most of those players are Uncollected, Cavalier, and Thronebreaker players. And they play season after season because they are realistic about their expectations, and because most of the BG rewards are not progression sensitive, so while it might be harder for a UC to progress in BG, the rewards in BG are nose-bleed high for them when they do.

If you are a fairly new player, your biggest stumbling block isn't going to be roster strength, although that will ultimately put a ceiling on how high you can expect to go before you advance further in the game. Rather, it is your lack of knowledge and experience with how the game works and how the champions match up that will cause you to lose not just to Valiant players with tons of 7* champs, but also Uncollected players with low 6* champs in their deck that know how to play them well.

It just takes time and experience. Experience you won't get if you don't try. This game is super friendly to new players. There's no penalty for losing. If you win, you earn points. If you lose, you earn less points. What's the downside to trying?
    Where is the line to beat this guy?

• SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Member Posts: 5,024 ★★★★★
    Im at 3k score in 2 accounts. Was not considering to push further than the ally min of 300k.
    BUT
    I have a LOT more Eldermarks to claim and that will push me well beyond 5k.

There are a lotta marks ngl.

Im at 3k score in 2 accounts. Was not considering to push further than the ally min of 300k.
    BUT
    I have a LOT more Eldermarks to claim and that will push me well beyond 5k.

There are a lotta marks ngl.

I'm in a similar position right now, I've been a bit busy to grind a ton, but I have an eight hour flight on a Starlink-equipped aircraft coming up and I might try to get a dozen or two matches in then.
  • EakomoEakomo Member Posts: 122
    interesting graphs.

Main point is the linear projection of the actual data is not a projection of the data, but the projection of what looks to be the curve of best fit for the data.
    same issue with the projections from the plots from week 1 and 2.

and the average earing rates just does not feel right as a measure for the event
    Eakomo said:

Main point is the linear projection of the actual data is not a projection of the data, but the projection of what looks to be the curve of best fit for the data.
    same issue with the projections from the plots from week 1 and 2.

When I say "linear projection of the data set" I am colloquially referring to the linear extrapolation of the linear best fit graph of the data. Technically, "projection" has a completely different definition mathematically, but its a word most people understand.

However, more directly, there's no such thing as a "projection" (read: extrapolation) of the data that is not based on a best fit curve of some kind. When the data points do not lie on a directly extensible curve, there's no way to directly extrapolate the data. It is generally understood in basic analysis what this means ordinarily, since there is no other relevant alternative.
    Eakomo said:

and the average earing rates just does not feel right as a measure for the event

No idea what this means.

• DrZolaDrZola Member Posts: 9,056 ★★★★★
    edited October 18
    Hope is a potent drug.

I’m waiting over 5K individual points *hoping* the Realm (and the Stark Foundation) comes through for me (and them too).

Dr. Zola
  • SlayerOfGodsSlayerOfGods Member, Content Creators Posts: 521 Content Creator
    Another great post.
  • EakomoEakomo Member Posts: 122

When I say "linear projection of the data set" I am colloquially referring to the linear extrapolation of the linear best fit graph of the data. Technically, "projection" has a completely different definition mathematically, but its a word most people understand.

However, more directly, there's no such thing as a "projection" (read: extrapolation) of the data that is not based on a best fit curve of some kind. When the data points do not lie on a directly extensible curve, there's no way to directly extrapolate the data. It is generally understood in basic analysis what this means ordinarily, since there is no other relevant alternative.

even with the explanation, the graph doesn't hold up to what you want to find and show, and methodologies that can be easily be critiqued will always produce questionable results.

now linear best fit/curve fitting with a linear curve is a well known method used especially in linear regression, but to use that new curve for extrapolation can only be confidently done if :
    1. the curve is able to accurately (usually 90%+ accuracy that is validated) represent the given data,
    2. the data is of a linear nature
    3. it follows a linear structure everywhere.

However, more directly, there's no such thing as a "projection" (read: extrapolation) of the data that is not based on a best fit curve of some kind. When the data points do not lie on a directly extensible curve, there's no way to directly extrapolate the data.

This statement in particular is wrong and you can project and extrapolate from a given point or a set of points, based on what curve you want. The best method is to have a function that describes the plot, but even without that there are many ways you can extrapolate assuming particular conditions.

definitions of extrapolation and linear extrapolation from wikipedia.

No idea what this means.

My question with this set of plots are,
    1. are you taking the points gained every hour and then dividing by the total number of players in the event?
    2. or is it the average taking the amount of players that gain those point during that hour period? (what should be the actual value).

• Ceti_EelCeti_Eel Member Posts: 104
    Seems like points per day is flat or slowing the past few days. Hopefully another foundation boost is coming
  • phillgreenphillgreen Member Posts: 4,030 ★★★★★
    edited October 18
    I'm at 2600 points and a win away from GC, ive used EM for every match.

What should I be doing to get to 5k points, do I tank vib2 for 2 weeks or get into GC and suck hard as long as I win one match every objective reset?

In return for your helpful advice I will burn 9k EM on my bronze 3 alt to help the over all points.
  • This content has been removed.
  • TheshadowTheshadow Member Posts: 199
    i am at 5.5k vib2. did i cook??
  • Asher1_1Asher1_1 Member Posts: 554 ★★★
    Can crashed tell the number how many players are in GC by week2 ?? He said last week it was 3218 players entered in first week