**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

What's your preference of Buff Program?

BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
Kabam recently said that their approach to buffing champions has not changed since the first bout of buffs from Sept 2020 - Dec 2021. I found this an odd statement to hear, because for me, the buffs from March 2022 to present just haven't gotten me as excited, or seemed as if they had the same time, vision or love put into them.

I wanted to make a poll that asked people whether they preferred the first or second bout of buffs, because I'm interested to see whether I'm just stuck in an echo chamber of a few friends not enjoying the program at the moment, or if the forum community at large agrees with me.

While I know they are the same program in Kabam's eyes, I'll be distinguishing between the first round which was Magneto(s) up until Joe Fixit and Hawkeye, and the second which is PsychoMan up until Jane Foster so that the poll can work.

If anyone needs a list to remind themselves here are the first round
Magneto, Magneto House of X, Daredevil NF, Punisher 2099, Falcon, Gambit, YJ, Terrax, Kingpin, Moleman, Civil Warrior, Angela, Hood, Masacre, Howard the Duck, Crossbones, Nova, Black Panther OG, Vulture, Odin (kinda), Mr Fantastic, Ultron, War Machine, Ebony Maw, Diablo, Bishop, Ronin, Hood 2.0, King Groot, Venompool, Miles, Gamora, Thor Rags, Guillotine, Karnak, Nebula, Hawkeye, Joe Fixit

And the second round
Psychoman, Gamora, Yondu, Deadpool XF, Mordo, Storm OG, Jane Foster

If you think the first round was better, why do you think that's the case?

If you think they're the same (or that the second is better), why do you think the forum community appears to see it as a lot worse? (many threads are asking for buffs to change, along with the agree-disagree ratio on posts about it point at this). Also, feel free to share whether you're as excited, less excited or more excited for buffs now as you were during the first round.

Please keep this thread on track so there's no reason to close it.

What's your preference of Buff Program? 244 votes

I prefer the first round of buffs - Magneto to Joe Fixit
98%
Crine60SnakeEyes69SiliyoDrZolaCarmel1LeNoirFaineantBitterSteelMr_PlatypusIndrick781Erza_ScarletRaganatorCrkwestabn86SaiyanCarnage313TheManMythLegendzuffyChovnerFeeney234MSRDLD 240 votes
I prefer the second round of buffs - Psychoman to Jane Foster
0%
EinfachSoFerahgo 2 votes
I think they're the same quality
0%
0casual0HamoBlamo51 2 votes

Comments

• MasterpuffMasterpuff Posts: 6,465 ★★★★★
    Its not like the first round was all amazing buffs, sure there were the Magnetos and the Kingpins but there were also buffs like Miles, Nebula and Masacre. Miles got a completely new and interesting kit while still not becoming an overpowered champ. Masacre and Nebula both received just small value buffs with some minor changes that made them both very strong and enjoyable champions.

Im afraid I just can’t say the same for the second round. We have gotten some very small value buffs such as TJF and Yondu. They just were not made any more memorable than they were before the buffs. And then there are DPXF and Storm which received the bigger buffs. Storm turned out to be decent but in my opinion she still really isn’t that valuable. And DPXF is pretty awful still, arguably as bad as before.
  • PolygonPolygon Posts: 3,832 ★★★★★
    edited July 2022
    At this point, I just wish they stopped buffing altogether. That way I at least don’t get my hopes up and then have them crushed time and time again from the back to back dissapointingly lackluster buffs we’ve seen
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

I don't think anyone needs to really explain the first round being the better or preferred.

I meant more why you thought it was the case that the new one isn't performing as well in your mind, not that Magneto > Psychoman lol
  • FiiNCHFiiNCH Posts: 1,664 ★★★★★
    The standard of buffs are leagues apart IMO.
  • CosmicGuardianCosmicGuardian Posts: 408 ★★★
    So many of the champs that got buffed in the first round became really fun and interesting champs to play, even if they weren’t necessarily game breaking. For me, buffs like King Groot, Howard, and Black Panther made these champs much more usable, and I enjoy using them each time I do. It feels like in their efforts to keep champs simple for new players, they’re using that to justify making minimal changes during buffs. Despite claims that the program hasn’t changed, it’s extremely difficult to argue against such a marked decrease in quality.
  • CosmicGuardianCosmicGuardian Posts: 408 ★★★
    I feel like regardless of how the buffs are lumped together, the quality of buffs since taking a break after Hawkeye and Joe Fixit has decreased significantly.
  • SkjornSkjorn Posts: 76
    edited July 2022

Hmmm. Curious as to why are all of the Buffs from before lumped together, though there were many changes to the ways in which we operated Buffs during that time as well. We changed cadences, the depths of Buffs, and much more. Would be interested to see how people feel with things split further up, and not just Before X and after X.

For example, I would lump Magneto, Magneto HoX and Daredevil into one, then Punisher 2099, Falcon, Gambit, YJ, Terrax, Kingpin, Moleman, Civil Warrior, Angela, Hood, Masacre, Howard the Duck, Crossbones, into another. Then a couple more.

Also, why does everybody call it a Buff Program? Did I call it that? There's no "program"... There never has been. It's just a thing we do. Was that my fault? I feel like it probably was something I said.

Psychoman was the first buff of 2022 and afterwards buffs felt much different in comparison to the 2020/2021 counterparts in terms of both quality and quantity. Starting in 2022 it was announced that the buffs would be slowed down, hence the divide between the two sets was formed.

To your credit though, couldn’t find any discussion on what exactly the “buff program” was, so it seems it was a player-made term which was a good way to describe the ongoing buffs.

Also side note, I appreciate your contribution to the discussion by clearing up some misconceptions. Definitely a good point to further analyze the groupings by changes in the buff system.
  • TerraTerra Posts: 7,995 ★★★★★
    I prefer the first round.

But the second round has my favorite Yondu, so I'm split.
  • DRTODRTO Posts: 1,618 ★★★★★
    I prefer the pre "buff program" (or not a program according to Kabam Miike) buffs. By this I mean: Venom, Luke Cage, Red Hulk, Carnage, She-Hulk, Spider Gwen, Colossus, Gamora (1st Buff) and I forget who else.

Those were nice cause there were betas for some so we could test and give feedback and each of these champions got significant upgrades which make them very strong champs.
  • ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
    edited July 2022
    Honestly this is such a baited poll. There are examples of two of the best buffs or most community accepted buffs (while leaving out ddhk, p99, guilly, first couple gamora buffs) compared to some pretty bad buffs while leaving out ones like storm.

There were good and not so good buffs in early champ buff times just as there are now.