**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

My issue with Summer of Pain

Comments

• Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

Ebony_Naw said:

I’m fine with the level of difficulty. Good rewards.

Do you think it matches up to what was advertised?
    Depends on the player. If they had made this painful for the super sweaties then most players wouldn’t be doing it. One player’s pain is another player’s faceroll.

"Something for those that have blasted through all of Act 6, beat the Abyss while on vacation, and treat Variants like a stroll along the beach"

I think that feels like it's targeting a pretty specific type of player, so I don't think it depends on the player. Kabam has said it would be for that sort of player, and difficult for that sort of player, and I don't think they've delivered what they advertised. Not in a complaining sort of way, just in a factual way. They said it would be hard, and it hasn't been as hard as they said, all that remains is what to do from here? I'd argue a permanent set up for the events in future would be better
  • Options
    CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    edited July 2021

Ebony_Naw said:

Depends on the player. If they had made this painful for the super sweaties then most players wouldn’t be doing it. One player’s pain is another player’s faceroll.

"Something for those that have blasted through all of Act 6, beat the Abyss while on vacation, and treat Variants like a stroll along the beach"

I think that feels like it's targeting a pretty specific type of player, so I don't think it depends on the player. Kabam has said it would be for that sort of player, and difficult for that sort of player, and I don't think they've delivered what they advertised. Not in a complaining sort of way, just in a factual way. They said it would be hard, and it hasn't been as hard as they said, all that remains is what to do from here? I'd argue a permanent set up for the events in future would be better
    Guy that’s from a year ago when it was SoP[working title] and they are actually talking about what became the gauntlet, used similar wording for it’s actual announcement and nothing close to it for the SoP.

*you cropped the part that actually uses the word Gauntlet in the OP.

• Options
    ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★

Ebony_Naw said:

Guy that’s from a year ago when it was SoP[working title] and they are actually talking about what became the gauntlet, used similar wording for it’s actual announcement and nothing close to it for the SoP.

Did you really just equate "throwing down the gauntlet" to mean The Gauntlet we got in game? Because that's not what it meant.
  • Options
    ItsDamien said:

Ebony_Naw said:

Did you really just equate "throwing down the gauntlet" to mean The Gauntlet we got in game? Because that's not what it meant.
    Yes, what they are describing a year ago is what became the Gauntlet try reading more recent posts from the Dev Diary and SoP along with the two event actual announcements.

GRANDMASTER’S GAUNTLET

JUNE – Got a bunch of 6-Star Rank 3’s going untested? Need to feel the rush of Abyss or Labyrinth level difficulty again? The time has come for a fresh challenge. The Grandmaster’s Gauntlet is a brand new single quest, filled with brawls to test only the greatest of Summoners. Twenty challenging fights await Thronebreaker Summoners and their greatest Champions, with Nameless Thanos guarding the final step to your well-earned wares.

THE SUMMER OF PAIN

JUNE – IT. IS. TIME. The summer is upon us, and the pain will come. We kept you waiting, but now it’s time for a collection of truly insane challenges. Every week, running from June through to the end of August, we will release a new single, standalone fight. These devilish fights will be tough in their own right, but accompanying them will be a collection of brutal Solo Objectives that will test your roster, skill, patience, and the structural integrity of your mobile device as your grip tightens under the stress.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    ItsDamien said:

Ebony_Naw said:

If you think the announcement of SoP being Cavalier level equates to what was Hinted at in the dev diary a year ago I just don’t know what to say.

“We are presenting a special challenge for those who have become Cavalier (by completing Act 6 Chapter 1) or higher. Starting June 16, we will be releasing challenging Side-Quests weekly that consist of just ONE fight. But these fights will be against notoriously dangerous, challenging, and frustrating encounters from throughout The Contest!”
  • Options

ItsDamien said:

Ebony_Naw said:

If you think the announcement of SoP being Cavalier level equates to what was Hinted at in the dev diary a year ago I just don’t know what to say.

“We are presenting a special challenge for those who have become Cavalier (by completing Act 6 Chapter 1) or higher. Starting June 16, we will be releasing challenging Side-Quests weekly that consist of just ONE fight. But these fights will be against notoriously dangerous, challenging, and frustrating encounters from throughout The Contest!”
    You know why it was allowed for Cavalier players? Because what was the highest progression level this time last year? Hint: It wasn't Thronebreaker.
  • Options

Ebony_Naw said:

You’re wrong I’m afraid, the same image you used says “finger breakingly difficult fights from across the contest will return but with unique roster requirements, smaller teams and new ways to play them.”

Across the contest - say for example, Acid wash mysterio, 6.2 sinister, challenge Rogue, UC/ 6.4 adaptoid etc? Does that sound familiar?

Unique roster requirements- like objectives to use XL villains, or tech champs etc. Ringing any bells?

Smaller teams- how about 1?

That doesn’t sound like gauntlet to me, that was all new fights, no unique roster requirements and a 5 champ team.

I’m afraid “throwing down the gauntlet” is just a phrase people use. You can’t use that one piece of “evidence” to claim this is describing the gauntlet.

Literally every word in that screenshot describes summer of pain, except a coincidental word that was used as an event title later on. Apart from the word gauntlet, what would you say there describes the gauntlet?
    You should compare the actual announcements and recent dev diary rather than what was said a year ago. It’s intuitively clear that what was SoP[working title] in your OP Became the gauntlet for those the quote was targeted at and the SoP became something for a wider audience; they even say so much in both announcements. But hey whatever you need to believe to spin this narrative. Anyone who read all actual announcements can see it. Gauntlet is for those at the level of Abyss+ and one for Cav+.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

Ebony_Naw said:

You know why it was allowed for Cavalier players? Because what was the highest progression level this time last year? Hint: It wasn't Thronebreaker.
    “For those that broke the throne, explored the depths of the Abyss, and have no peaks left to conquer, the Grandmaster issues you a Challenge…
    Enter the Grandmaster’s Gauntlet!”

Sound familiar?

*Compare to

“ The wait is finally over, and at long last, the Summer of Pain has Begun!

We are presenting a special challenge for those who have become Cavalier (by completing Act 6 Chapter 1) or higher. Starting June 16, we will be releasing challenging Side-Quests weekly that consist of just ONE fight. But these fights will be against notoriously dangerous, challenging, and frustrating encounters from throughout The Contest!”

Now ask yourselves which announcement is closer to the actual description quoted in the OP from over a year ago. They split it up into two events and the player base crippled their ability to issue actual challenging Objectives due to previous complaints relating to 4* objectives etc.
  • Options

ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

Ebony_Naw said:

“For those that broke the throne, explored the depths of the Abyss, and have no peaks left to conquer, the Grandmaster issues you a Challenge…

Sound familiar?
    Tell me. Was Thronebreaker a progression level in summer 2020? Yes or no answer only.
  • Options
    ŁŤÇŁŤÇ Posts: 350 ★★★
    Not hard enough? Geez.

I swear, if some of you guys got a free Nexus, you'd complain because a "God Tier" wasn't a choice. If it's too easy, stop whining and don't do it. Go do it with a 3star or something if you want a challenge.

We all ask Kabam for more content. We finally get it, with amazing awards to go with it.

At this level, it is simply skill-based anyways. Most of us eligible for solos have big enough rosters to handle almost anything that they can throw at us anyways.
  • Options
    ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

Ebony_Naw said:

Yes, what they are describing a year ago is what became the Gauntlet try reading more recent posts from the Dev Diary and SoP along with the two event actual announcements.

GRANDMASTER’S GAUNTLET

JUNE – Got a bunch of 6-Star Rank 3’s going untested? Need to feel the rush of Abyss or Labyrinth level difficulty again? The time has come for a fresh challenge. The Grandmaster’s Gauntlet is a brand new single quest, filled with brawls to test only the greatest of Summoners. Twenty challenging fights await Thronebreaker Summoners and their greatest Champions, with Nameless Thanos guarding the final step to your well-earned wares.

THE SUMMER OF PAIN

JUNE – IT. IS. TIME. The summer is upon us, and the pain will come. We kept you waiting, but now it’s time for a collection of truly insane challenges. Every week, running from June through to the end of August, we will release a new single, standalone fight. These devilish fights will be tough in their own right, but accompanying them will be a collection of brutal Solo Objectives that will test your roster, skill, patience, and the structural integrity of your mobile device as your grip tightens under the stress.

"Throwing down the gauntlet" is an idiom for "We're challenging you". It in no way equates The Gauntlet to what they said they were going to do a year ago, unless you ignore virtually all of the defining features of what the Summer of Pain was going to be. Tell me, other than Nameless Thanos who was a nerfed version, who was a returning fight that we had seen in the contest?

Most champions in the gauntlet were iterations of difficult fights from past content.

The SoP quote was taken out of context from a year ago and with what was announced for both Gaintlet and SoP.

Take it from the Dev diary itself. Things changed.

“We didn’t deliver on everything though (Summer of Pain, *cough* *cough*). Development priorities change, YOUR priorities change, and we evolve with The Contest as it grows.”
  • Options
    Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,185 ★★★★★
    I think SoP is fun. It is a challenge. It has good rewards. This is a game, so have fun and don’t fret so much.
  • Options
    @BitterSteel I can appreciate that. Can you explain what you want then? Every fight requires strategy, skill, understanding of interactions, patience, etc.

There doesn't seem to be much more they can do. I am an end game player myself, so I guess I just see it from the other spectrum.
  • Options
    Ebony_Naw said:

ŁŤÇ said:

Not hard enough? Geez.

I swear, if some of you guys got a free Nexus, you'd complain because a "God Tier" wasn't a choice. If it's too easy, stop whining and don't do it. Go do it with a 3star or something if you want a challenge.

We all ask Kabam for more content. We finally get it, with amazing awards to go with it.

At this level, it is simply skill-based anyways. Most of us eligible for solos have big enough rosters to handle almost anything that they can throw at us anyways.

Skimmed the original post, did we?
    Not at all. I just simply read his post differently than you did.
  • Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    ŁŤÇ said:

@BitterSteel I can appreciate that. Can you explain what you want then? Every fight requires strategy, skill, understanding of interactions, patience, etc.

There doesn't seem to be much more they can do. I am an end game player myself, so I guess I just see it from the other spectrum.

Thank you for understanding - honestly, SoP is a great baseline for future content. I think it's so close to being what I'd love, but it just feels like it's been dialled back to a 7 or 8, rather than the full difficulty of 10. What would I like to see? Fights like the rogue fight, and getting progressively harder. Something that really stretches you, not something that just asks you to bring the right counter.

I appreciate that SoP is difficult if you don't bring the right champ, downright impossible in some scenarios. But when it is made easy by bringing Mojo this week, that's an issue. On my mini account I used a r2 5* Mojo and got 70% off in one go, revived and went again. That's not the sort of challenge I'm wanting personally.

I think as a warm up, the rogue fight was perfect, I loved it. But it kind of tailed off after that.

I absolutely understand the other side of the spectrum, and I really am trying to be objective and think if I saw some content that was too hard for me and temporary I wouldn't be too happy, which is why I'm fine with SoP not being that for me. But I would like some permanent content that scratched that itch, something that players can look at and say, I will do that when I've progressed more.
  • Options

ŁŤÇ said:

Thank you for understanding - honestly, SoP is a great baseline for future content. I think it's so close to being what I'd love, but it just feels like it's been dialled back to a 7 or 8, rather than the full difficulty of 10. What would I like to see? Fights like the rogue fight, and getting progressively harder. Something that really stretches you, not something that just asks you to bring the right counter.

I appreciate that SoP is difficult if you don't bring the right champ, downright impossible in some scenarios. But when it is made easy by bringing Mojo this week, that's an issue. On my mini account I used a r2 5* Mojo and got 70% off in one go, revived and went again. That's not the sort of challenge I'm wanting personally.

I think as a warm up, the rogue fight was perfect, I loved it. But it kind of tailed off after that.

I absolutely understand the other side of the spectrum, and I really am trying to be objective and think if I saw some content that was too hard for me and temporary I wouldn't be too happy, which is why I'm fine with SoP not being that for me. But I would like some permanent content that scratched that itch, something that players can look at and say, I will do that when I've progressed more.

I didn't like where you mentioned it being permanent though. I'm a FTPer, and people already pay their way past me. So, making this permanent would only allow people to become TB even earlier than some should be.
  • Options
    PulyamanPulyaman Posts: 2,365 ★★★★★

ŁŤÇ said:

Not hard enough? Geez.

What if my priority isn't just rewards, but also having fun in the game? And if I don't enjoy this content as much as something harder, i feel like I have a right to give feedback on that and try and enjoy the game more. So far, there is content in the game aimed at all levels of players except the very end game players. While Summer of Pain may be challenging and fun to Cavs and early-mid TB, end game players aren't finding it a challenge, see Brian Grant's stream from last night when he beat it with magik on his first try. "Well, that's summer of pain right there I guess, first try. Is it weird? Summer of pain has been strange, it's been a rollercoaster of emotions. I love summer of pain, but it also feels weird that the harder fights were in the first few weeks. This is strange to me. I don't know how to feel, I should be happy I beat this guy, and yet I'm left wanting more."

https://youtu.be/zVEfSuc3t7g

Go to 10:54 if you'd like to watch.

Regardless, using 3* is not the solution. I am not asking for a longer fight with more health. That's more punishing, but it's not more challenging or fun.

All I'm asking for is content that challenges me, that is permanent so everyone can do it given time. That is content for everyone, right now, there isn't content coming out that is for high end game players, SoP is not challenging enough as what it was hyped as
    That doesn't mean much to be frank. For some, the first fight was the easiest, for others like me who did not have a good shield champ, the last one was the more challenging one. I still used Nick fury to solo, but I found mysterio much more easy than this.

I feel like the devs cannot give a content that you guys expect without getting a backlash. People want hard content, but want content that you find hard and not hard in general. How is this different from developing players asking to reduce the difficulty to suit their roster?

With over 200 champs available in the game, anything that kabam throws at us is bound to be countered by something in the roster. All they can do is gate content by class, ranking and tags to make it difficult. They already received backlash for doing the first 2, and they are left with the last one. It's not difficult to make BS combinations, we are seeing it a lot of times in incursions. It's just that Kabam don't want to do it.
  • Options
    ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

Ebony_Naw said:

Sound familiar?
    Tell me. Was Thronebreaker a progression level in summer 2020? Yes or no answer only.
    What a stupid question. Was summer of pain introduced along side a gauntlet a year ago? We’re talking about today, what was described, announced and introduced.

Again read both announcements to see which one describes challenging those at the pinnacle of the Contest and which one is more for a general audience.

Here’s more for you.

The GMG challenging those at peak level of the game which is what they were targeting last year.

For those that broke the throne, explored the depths of the Abyss, and have no peaks left to conquer, the Grandmaster issues you a Challenge…
    Enter the Grandmaster’s Gauntlet!

This brutal challenge unlike any other will run from June 2 at 10 AM PT until June 23 at 10 AM PT.

The Grandmaster has bent every rule in the book and placed every wicked twist he could come up with into this single challenging quest. Composed of 20 fights and a single final boss, The Grandmaster’s Gauntlet is built for only the strongest and most clever Summoners, and as such will only be available to those who have earned the title of Thronebreaker.”

“This challenge is not for the unprepared, Summoner! If you have not 100% explored all Content in-game, we suggest that you take those on before diving into the Gauntlet!”

Now show me anything recent about the SoP being anything close to that description. The closest you come to that is.

“ but accompanying them will be a collection of brutal Solo Objectives that will test your roster, skill, patience, and the structural integrity of your mobile device as your grip tightens under the stress.”

“The wait is finally over, and at long last, the Summer of Pain has Begun!

We are presenting a special challenge for those who have become Cavalier (by completing Act 6 Chapter 1) or higher”

“The final challenge will go live on August 18 and feature horrific highlights from the previous weeks, all leading up to a fight that has likely haunted your dreams before.”

Sorry you don’t understand that what was talked about a year ago Evolved to become two separate events introduced today for two different audiences.

My complaint is that we’re left with fairly marginal objectives for Thronebreakers due to prior feedback about champion rarity objectives. There is no incentive to make this content a challenge to ourselves.
  • Options
    Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,185 ★★★★★

I think SoP is fun. It is a challenge. It has good rewards. This is a game, so have fun and don’t fret so much.

And I'm happy that you view it as such, but why is it so outrageous that people in my position don't get the challenging, fun content that we would think is fun and a challenge? Why do those concerns get brushed off as oh just do it with a 3*, or the rewards are good so why complain?
    I never said your opinion is outrageous, and I never said you have no right to ask for more hard content.

What I said was that I liked it, and that IMO people shouldn't fret so much over a free mobile video game. If you aren't having fun, then do something else. Kabam is is no way obligated to keep players entertained 24 hours a day. And we should not expect them to.
This discussion has been closed.