An Update to Balancing in MCOC!

Comments

• DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,387 Guardian
    Chovner said:

@DNA3000
    Fair points, so maybe I'll just rephrase all my questions this way that hopefully doesn't seem loaded.

With the goal of improving game balance, what would have the greater impact?: Bringing 56 underperforming champs up to match the current game meta or ensure 2 new champs per month aren't overpowered or underpowered?

I don't think properly balancing new champs is a bad deal at all, in fact I think that it's what should happen, I just think they have such a backlog of champs to deal with that their main focus should be on that. They almost should have bumped up the old champ buff system now that they have this new team to deal with all the champs they know are underperforming, then tackle the new champ balance.

With the poor state of the game, I think they should have at least waited to roll this out until after their new engine is rolled out and working.

Fairer, but you're comparing years of buff program to one month of balance program. After the initial ramp up period of settling into the new balancing program, they said in the announcement that they hope to return to old champ updates at a two a month cadence. That's lower than the original three to four month cadence, but there's been some evidence that that original rate was unsustainable anyway: it was slipping at times, and players were also complaining that the quality of the new champions was also slipping. That implies to me the pipeline was overloaded. And the one thing we know is never going to happen is slowing down new champions. They are the engine that powers the game in multiple ways.

Only Kabam can directly answer your question, but from my perspective the balancing program appears to be an attempt to tackle both problems: devote more time to new champions so they don't release buggy or broken as often, and separately reduce the pressure on cranking out more buffs and updates than is currently sustainable by the dev team. Whether they succeed or not is a matter of execution, but that seems to be a reasonable approach to me.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,387 Guardian
    zaspacer said:

Also, as an addendum, they weren't intentionally left out to make money. They were cautiously added because a number of them are already powerful.

I appreciate and like the creative brainstorming on possible reasons for Kabam choosing Champions. However, we also don't have any certainty with regards to knowing the specific choices, motives, or plans behind Kabam's actions.

It is also very likely that even the individual current persons and groups behind MCOC development (including all past and current staff at Kabam, Netmarble, Unity Technologies, Disney, etc.) do not know (or understand) the full picture of choices, motives, or plans behind many actions taken. Such are the realities of game development. Giant collaborations in chaos.

The food gets to the table (the game content gets launched)... sometimes. But there is never really a diligent accounting audit of the chaotic marathon from farm to table (a planned, tracked, and accounted full development process). And I've worked in accounting and game development (and project management).

All possible options remain viable.
    This is true to a certain extent, in the sense that the people today may not know the full reasons for why some decision was made in the past. Even the question "why did this happen" can have no real answer, because in a collaboration the reason why something happens is that collectively that's what the group decided to do, but since every member of the group may have had different reasons for advocating different positions, there's no one ultimate reason. It depends on the narrative you want to tell.

However, the champions in or not in the current basic pools are now the ultimate responsibility of the people actually there. It is possible a champion was excluded in the past by a developer no longer there, for reasons no one else knows, but that's the sort of decision that gets revisited, and even if it is a standing decision, the devs know what it is (because they have to, to manage the situation correctly). For example, I know why Deadpool is only available in cash offers, because I was told why. I'm not the only player that knows by a wide margin, but I'm not sure if I can say as I don't know if this is public knowledge. But I do know this with reasonable certainty, because this is not something that can be chalked up to collective chaos.

I believe there are unlikely to be many champions excluded from the basic pools just to monetize them directly. The reason being, with very few exceptions (such as the aforementioned Deadpool) this would be inconsistent with how Kabam monetizes the game as i understand it. However, that's a judgment based on my previous experience with game development and my interactions with the MCOC developers. It is not a possibility that I can say I can rule out with reasonable certainty. But I would be very, very surprised if this was the case.

If you've been involved directly with game development, then you know that organized chaos is half the explanation for everything. Inertia is the other. There are never enough hours in the day to do everything the devs want to do, much less what the players want them to do. So a lot of things that look like active decisions are really deferred decisions. A champ might not be in the basic pool because someone decided it shouldn't be, but it is also possible a champ might not be in the basic pool because no one has revisited that decision recently because no one can spare the time to do so. Sometimes the reason why inertia is so important is because while players think about things in terms of the work that has to be done, developers think in terms of the approvals that have to be gotten. Adding a champ to the basic pool that got passed on earlier might require a balance designer, reward designer, economy designer, and a couple producers to all sign off. How many developers would want to advocate for that, instead of working on a new Relic?
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,501 ★★★★★
    Then there's the obvious logical evidence that it's a damn long time to have ulterior motives on monetization when they could have done it when people were begging for them to be added. Lol.
  • winterthurwinterthur Member Posts: 8,058 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

zaspacer said:

Also, as an addendum, they weren't intentionally left out to make money. They were cautiously added because a number of them are already powerful.

I appreciate and like the creative brainstorming on possible reasons for Kabam choosing Champions. However, we also don't have any certainty with regards to knowing the specific choices, motives, or plans behind Kabam's actions.

It is also very likely that even the individual current persons and groups behind MCOC development (including all past and current staff at Kabam, Netmarble, Unity Technologies, Disney, etc.) do not know (or understand) the full picture of choices, motives, or plans behind many actions taken. Such are the realities of game development. Giant collaborations in chaos.

The food gets to the table (the game content gets launched)... sometimes. But there is never really a diligent accounting audit of the chaotic marathon from farm to table (a planned, tracked, and accounted full development process). And I've worked in accounting and game development (and project management).

All possible options remain viable.
    There are never enough hours in the day to do everything the devs want to do, much less what the players want them to do. So a lot of things that look like active decisions are really deferred decisions. A champ might not be in the basic pool because someone decided it shouldn't be, but it is also possible a champ might not be in the basic pool because no one has revisited that decision recently because no one can spare the time to do so. Sometimes the reason why inertia is so important is because while players think about things in terms of the work that has to be done, developers think in terms of the approvals that have to be gotten. Adding a champ to the basic pool that got passed on earlier might require a balance designer, reward designer, economy designer, and a couple producers to all sign off. How many developers would want to advocate for that, instead of working on a new Relic?
    I am trying to get a document signed-off since Nov last year and it is moving from one person to another and getting delayed as each has their own priorities. So, this point I can understand.
  • winterthurwinterthur Member Posts: 8,058 ★★★★★
    MCOC Team said:

Greetings Summoners!

In the coming months, we are going to be introducing a new Champion Rating system to help better visualize the strengths and weaknesses of any given Champion, giving you all a better understanding of the Champion at a glance.

Will the champs have a champion rating for each of its unawakened and awakened state respectively?
  • _Gray_ChA0S__Gray_ChA0S_ Member Posts: 1
    DON'T TOUCH ULTRON
  • PapaMidnite007PapaMidnite007 Member Posts: 1,622 ★★★★
    Well done Kabam

DON'T TOUCH ULTRON

Ultrons permanent cauterise via synergy was a bug.. he only needed to have extended duration of his cauterize function lol with the synergy and we all knew it
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,501 ★★★★★

DON'T TOUCH ULTRON

OK!
  • ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Member Posts: 3,110 ★★★★★
    Did you come back two days in a row to comment?

Also they're probably never going to change the amount of Champions released per month because those are called tie-in characters and when you're working with Marvel and they have a new character that they want to bring out for a movie, none of us got to say if a champion is to be released or not.
  • Drake2078Drake2078 Member Posts: 918 ★★★
    Mods have voted in members polls. So do you think the 4 agrees are mods?
    MSRDLD said:

Also they're probably never going to change the amount of Champions released per month because those are called tie-in characters and when you're working with Marvel and they have a new character that they want to bring out for a movie, none of us got to say if a champion is to be released or not.

With the amount of money this company makes you’d think they could hire another couple people to do more character buffs.
    But that's in the assumption that they get 100% of all revenue generated. They're a subsidiary to Netmarble and parent companies usually get all the money and divide it as they see fit.

I know there community likes to see Kabam as the big evil empire but at most they're Grand Moff Tarkin.. We haven't dealt with Vader or especially the Emperor yet.
    DNA3000 said:

MSRDLD said:

With the amount of money this company makes you’d think they could hire another couple people to do more character buffs.
    But that's in the assumption that they get 100% of all revenue generated. They're a subsidiary to Netmarble and parent companies usually get all the money and divide it as they see fit.
    The reality of it is complex, but the bottom line is that first Apple and Google take their cut and send the rest to Kabam. Then Kabam sends Disney the Marvel licensing cut, which is not insubstantial. What's left they hold for Netmarble until Netmarble tells them what to do with it.

There was a recent interview on the McMole2 MSF channel with David Brevik, who was a developer on Marvel Heroes for Gazillion. The entire interview is worth watching, but the part where he specifically talks about working on Marvel Heroes in the context of being a Marvel licensee starts at about 13:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCh6aQiKEFE

A lot of it is stuff that would be no surprise to anyone with any contact with the games industry, but perhaps most game players would not be fully aware of. I think people who think MCOC makes massive amounts of money should note the question asked at 19:34:

McMole: What was the biggest lesson you learned from your time at Gazillion, running Marvel Heroes; what was your biggest takeaway from your time there?

David Brevik: Well, uh, working with a license is expensive.

He goes on to mention that these licenses typically have minimum guarantees, which he "hypothetically" said could be seven figures, which I'm assuming is probably what it was back then for a game like Marvel Heroes. I would not be surprised if the minimum guarantee on MCOC was in the high tens of millions of dollars, at least. The noteworthy thing is that this was the first thing to come to his mind. The implication is this is not a trivial thing for a game to manage or even survive.

He also mentions something else that matches what I've heard in related areas, that when Marvel was bought by Disney, the attitude towards licensed products shifted from "make money" to "we need to be the biggest most successful games in the world, or don't bother."

MCOC doesn't survive just because it doesn't lose money. It survives because Marvel sees it as a very successful game. But the idea that the game makes way more money than it needs to make is missing several pieces of reality. They don't get all the money they make, they have tons of gigantic expenses most people don't account for (in particular licensing) and they have a licensing partner that can shut them down at any time if they feel they just aren't quite successful enough, even if they are making millions of dollars.
    You're right. I haven't even considered the licensing fees and what kind of demand that Marvel themselves would put on the developers and the company as a whole. But again this revolves around the fact that so many community that have these preconceived notions as to how the game is made and how come decisions are made as they are, when in reality we are only seeing a small part of the puzzle.

We think we have all the answers but the truth is were still scratching the surface on something we don't know about and I think if we really ever got a full breakdown of how it all works, I think so many heads are going to just explode from the lack of comprehension as to what it is that this game demands of its own creators.
  • ChovnerChovner Member Posts: 1,222 ★★★★★
    Yeah starting this month I won't be grinding for new champs, or buying any crystals (featureds/cavs) to get them. If the champs are still good after their 6 month testing period, or whatever this is going to turn out to be then I'll actively try to get them. If I luck out and get them anyways over that time period then it's a bonus.
    I think between this, and not spending money at all until the game input issues are fixed I could see a big decline in how much I play the game.
This discussion has been closed.